Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2012 7:34 PM

Nov 2010
Warning, a rant follows. I'll be lucky if I get even one answer, considering how little people post here on MAL, but anyway...

I watched the first episode and all the philosophical talk in the beginning seemed very promising, "this might just be a more profound anime" was my thought. However the ridiculously-improbable-ecchi-situation-and-other-people-walk-into-the-room-right-at-that-moment at the very end that has been done countless times made me regret having the previous positive hopes... but I decided to watch a couple more anyway.
Second episode was entertaining due to Lemon's scheme, although the characters really revealed their archetypes, we have them all: a spineless, quiet main lead, a tsundere childhood friend with a jealous crush on him, a girl who talks so slowly she might as well be high, a busty girl that plays clueless but in reality holds the secret of not belonging to this planet/time and the main lead has a crush on her... Yeah I've seen that exactly that in Suzumiya Haruhi... I could go on. Still, something that at least tries not to seem unoriginal could show up in the third episode.
Third episode. Writers at JC Staff can't think of an excuse to put main lead and his childhood friend on a date so they make him have a convoluted "overthinking things desperation moment" to justify it. Sigh #1. Friends decide to follow because they clearly don't have anything more useful to do. Sigh #2. Busty girl has an impossible "hawk vision" moment when the train passes, sees them together, overthinks things too. Sigh #3. But the biggest letdown was the whole talk when laid down in the grass at the end of the episode where they completely around in words in a surreally vague manner and manage to completely misunderstand what the other is trying to convey due to their "overthinking things scenario". I quietly endured that for an entire season in Kimi Ni Todoke Season 2, I don't have any more patience for the same idiocy again.

I have thereby lost all hope for this show not being some recycled garbage and having something new to bring. Am I just being a sad, bitter old geezer? Does anybody think like me?
KelvetsFeb 19, 2012 7:57 PM
Feb 19, 2012 7:49 PM

Dec 2009
I will say this. I am not dissapointed from this anime or anything, but I will not expect nothing from it.
And the reason why is because, that anime just doesn't attract me.

I mean, I actually don't really like it...
Feb 19, 2012 7:57 PM

Nov 2008
Mind if I ask something if your list is complete?

The show is definitely cliche if you watched similar titles before like Onegai Teacher xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 19, 2012 7:58 PM

Nov 2010
DenjaX said:
Mind if I ask something if your list is complete?

The show is definitely cliche if you watched similar titles before like Onegai Teacher xDD

You mean if I added all the cliché stuff I've seen? Hell no, I can't even remember all of them. Those are just the more sigh-worthy.
Feb 19, 2012 8:02 PM

Nov 2008
Then that make sense. You watched a lot of titles so you enjoy anime lesser and lesser as time goes by since most are recycled and you can hardly find unique shows xDD

EDIT:

Also the first episode screams Onegai Teacher so I was expecting similar romance chemistry to that show. But I still enjoy the series nonetheless. xDD I was hoping there would be a twist on the future eps that I have in my mind so I'm looking forward for the next episodes xDD
DenjaXFeb 19, 2012 8:11 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 19, 2012 8:14 PM

Sep 2010
DenjaX said:
Then that make sense. You watched a lot of titles so you enjoy anime lesser and lesser as time goes by since most are recycled and you can hardly find unique shows xDD

If that were the case then people everywhere would have abandoned every form of entertainment already. Finding a non-cliched or unique idea is a treat for a veteran watcher but it is not why people stick around. What has made the entertainment industry sustainable is the ability to reuse ideas over and over.

One would generally enjoy a medium the more they partake of it, enjoyment is why a person would watch more and more. The point in time a person starts to get disinterested in the way a medium typical tells a story is the point when that person should consider the idea that they may need to stop watching.

Feb 19, 2012 8:16 PM

Aug 2010
I command you to never post a thread like this ever again.

Feb 19, 2012 8:20 PM

Nov 2008
^lolol xDD

Anime_Name said:
DenjaX said:

If that were the case then people everywhere would have abandoned every form of entertainment already. Finding a non-cliched or unique idea is a treat for a veteran watcher but it is not why people stick around. What has made the entertainment industry sustainable is the ability to reuse ideas over and over.

One would generally enjoy a medium the more they partake of it, enjoyment is why a person would watch more and more. The point in time a person starts to get disinterested in the way a medium typical tells a story is the point when that person should consider the idea that they may need to stop watching.
Not in my case, I watched fairly amount of animes but I still enjoy them although mostly are cliches. I was just making assumption the OP has that kind of problem xDD

EDIT: your point was awesome btw xDD tell it to Kelvet xDD
DenjaXFeb 19, 2012 8:24 PM

Feb 19, 2012 8:32 PM

Sep 2010

I am not interested in reading that post, I was only curious about the reaction to it.
It's funny that the OP or anyone else like him would sigh or express any sadness that no one in this world is ever going to produce a story without cliches. Wake up.

Feb 19, 2012 10:19 PM

Feb 2012
Kelvets said:
I have thereby lost all hope for this show not being some recycled garbage and having something new to bring. Am I just being a sad, bitter old geezer? Does anybody think like me?

Yeah, Ano Natsu is a storm of cliches, but just don't treat it like it's symptomatic of the entire industry -- because it's not. At this point, why not cut your losses and say, "this wasn't what I hoped it would be, so I'll drop it and pick up something with more substance"?

The industry needs shows like this. You can fault it for deceiving you into thinking it was something more than it was, but you can't fault it for being what it is in the first place.
Feb 20, 2012 2:04 AM

May 2010
Even though it is accompanied by cliche themes,I still believe it has original plot around somewhere.Making a movie,is what I mean.
Feb 20, 2012 3:29 AM

Jan 2008
This show is one cliche after another. It's full of tropes, does not have one original bone in it's body. And I freaking ADORE IT! Every single episode puts a huge smile on my face that last for hours. Every single character makes me laugh, and gets me to care about their story. I don't give a crap that it's all been done before, as long as when it's done now, it's done well. And boy, is it done well. It's practically perfect.
Feb 20, 2012 5:49 AM

Nov 2010
Anime_Name said:

I am not interested in reading that post, I was only curious about the reaction to it.
It's funny that the OP or anyone else like him would sigh or express any sadness that no one in this world is ever going to produce a story without cliches. Wake up.

I know there's no story without clichés, watch the "Everything is a Remix" series of videos by kirby1 on Youtube. However, some manage to do them much better than others, like James Cameron did for his superb movie Avatar. It very much copies Pocahontas, but it's so well done you hardly notice. This anime however is pretty bad about hiding its cliches, which would be acceptable if it meant to be a shameless anime (like Panty & Stocking for instance) but that's not how I perceive it.

DenjaX said:
Not in my case, I watched fairly amount of animes but I still enjoy them although mostly are cliches. I was just making assumption the OP has that kind of problem xDD

I do, and I very much enjoy anime, however some drama techniques are way too ridiculous and I'm not willing to put up with that kind of crap anymore, namely the impossibly vague talk that made them both misunderstand each other at the end of chapter 3, as I described. That's just too far-fetched and a pathetic attempt by JC Staff to generate drama. There are much more competent ways to do so. I can hardly believe this is the same studio that did Nodame Cantabile!

DmonHiro said:
I don't give a crap that it's all been done before, as long as when it's done now, it's done well. And boy, is it done well. It's practically perfect.

I very much beg to differ about it being done well. If I didn't, I wouldn't have written this rant :)

KeiranShikari said:

Yes, my emperor!
KelvetsFeb 20, 2012 5:58 AM
Feb 20, 2012 2:08 PM

Sep 2010
I know there's no story without clichés, watch the "Everything is a Remix" series of videos by kirby1 on Youtube. However, some manage to do them much better than others, like James Cameron did for his superb movie Avatar. It very much copies Pocahontas, but it's so well done you hardly notice. This anime however is pretty bad about hiding its cliches, which would be acceptable if it meant to be a shameless anime (like Panty & Stocking for instance) but that's not how I perceive it.

Not wanting to notice cliches because you want to gush about a show you liked is perfectly normal. It is also normal to cry foul whenever a show you don't like uses a cliche. I am sure you are capable enough to find blogs about people who are not so happy that Cameron's Avatar is basically Pocahontas with blue, fish-eyed aliens...

Yousuke Kuroda clearly isn't trying to hide similarities to other anime and there's no reason why he should. This show gets more fun once you realize what inspired it by watching Onegai Teacher. It is simply a writer that uses the same style, characters, and story telling to entertain, just like how similar Akagi is to Kaiji and Cross Game is more or less Touch with some gender swapping. All of those cliches were pretty obvious and still damn good stories despite their similarities.
Anime_NameFeb 20, 2012 2:15 PM

Feb 20, 2012 3:27 PM

Aug 2011
Funny that you mention it feels like it's ripped of various anime, when in fact it really seems to be an almost exact copy of Onegai Teacher, which was released way before all of those other anime :-D
Feb 20, 2012 5:52 PM
Jan 2009
I quite like it for the simplicity and ease of watching. At least it's not a cliche harem or ecchi anime, those are way worse.

On top of that, it is a total clone of Onegai Teacher and although that should annoy me, it doesn't at all because that series was great.
Feb 20, 2012 6:27 PM
Oct 2010
Kelvets said:
DmonHiro said:
I don't give a crap that it's all been done before, as long as when it's done now, it's done well. And boy, is it done well. It's practically perfect.

I very much beg to differ about it being done well. If I didn't, I wouldn't have written this rant :)
So basically any opinion different than yours is bs, right?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Feb 20, 2012 6:50 PM

Nov 2010
Ajunky said:

welcome to the internet :D
Feb 20, 2012 6:51 PM

Mar 2011
kickthebucket said:
Ajunky said:

welcome to the internet :D
...unfortunately.....
Feb 20, 2012 7:51 PM

Jan 2012
Each to their own tastes i guess =P, thankfully this is one of my favorite animes this season so.....That's all that matters to me.
Feb 20, 2012 7:58 PM

Dec 2010
Ahri said:
Each to their own tastes i guess =P, thankfully this is one of my favorite animes this season so.....That's all that matters to me.

Second this, i could say this is a troll post but you are entitled to your opinion so i will simply disagree with it, because to me this has been one of my favorite anime of this season and the only thing that could really bring it down at this point would be a bitter ending like her leaving or something like that.
Feb 20, 2012 8:11 PM

Jan 2012
InfiniteDestiny said:
Ahri said:

Second this, i could say this is a troll post but you are entitled to your opinion so i will simply disagree with it, because to me this has been one of my favorite anime of this season and the only thing that could really bring it down at this point would be a bitter ending like her leaving or something like that.

I have a feeling you're stalking me....Every time i make a post...>_> you always seem to quote it! =O!!!!!!!! It's k tho, cause i like ya! You have a TWGOK forum avatar and i watched that two months ago and absolutely LOVED it. So it's k. Now on topic.

@OP, i hope you're not implying that J.C. are terrible at what they do....They have made some of my favorite series, Index....Shana....and their artwork is amazing compared to so many other series (don't judge me on my list here, this is a new account and i haven't added EVERY anime i've ever seen. This is only a few), and their storylines are great as well, only gripe i have with Index was the memory wipe thing, but other than that it's a very solid series imo.

Also i see people get this wrong all the time, but Kanna =/= Childhood friend, She's known him for awhile but they aren't childhood friends. Her and Tets....Forgot his name, they are the childhood friends. I can understand that you dislike the anime, i get that....but i just don't get the point of making a thread about it, unless you're wanting someone to point out the good in the show and encourage you to pick it up again?
Feb 21, 2012 1:22 AM

Mar 2010
Internet and real life, in both areas people criticize others just for having an opinion different from theirs and make up whatever stupid excuse they can to make themselves sound cool or to pretend their protecting their ass. Like calling someone a troll just cause they wrote a post explaining this and that, blah blah yata yata.

To me the show is somewhat okay. Watched a few episodes and that was about it. Thought the characters were pretty retarded. My biggest hate is on Lemon because of her "cute bitch" thing she has going on. All the loli pedophiles can love her all they want, but she just makes me wanna smack her.
Feb 21, 2012 3:38 AM

Sep 2010
MoonFox said:
All the loli pedophiles can love her all they want, but she just makes me wanna smack her.

loli pedo? I just watched Onegai Teacher and I am positive that she is the oldest character on the show.

Feb 21, 2012 6:24 AM

Dec 2008
i dont care about cliche things..
because, if i care about that. i will drop 90% anime that i watch..
it's rarely to see unique and very "original" anime nowadays..

i watch anime for entertainment, not for criticize it or being picky..
so, if i enjoy some anime (like this anime), i will watch it, didnt care how much cliche its is...
hudangFeb 21, 2012 6:27 AM

Feb 21, 2012 6:54 AM

May 2011
you do know that almost 100% of anime have cliches wrapped around them right?

This anime is just fine. The blend of comedy, romance and drama is just right. Nothing to be so critical of.
Feb 21, 2012 7:27 PM

Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:
MoonFox said:
All the loli pedophiles can love her all they want, but she just makes me wanna smack her.

loli pedo? I just watched Onegai Teacher and I am positive that she is the oldest character on the show.
she has a loli body so.... xDDD

Feb 21, 2012 7:37 PM

Apr 2008
Kelvets said:

I can understand where you are coming from to some degree. It's likely that originality (not just in anime) has died out centuries ago. That's why I tend to focus more on things like how well a specific title is executed, paced and written rather than how unique the plot events or characters are. It's frustrating when you think you've seen it all, and Ano Natsu really isn't anything out of the ordinary, but I feel it's still one of J.C Staff's better titles. Search around MAL for some titles that may interest you or deal with things that aren't dealt with very often. If you are interested in other slice of life titles that are different from the norm, try Musishi, Haibane Renmie or Aria. It all depends on what you want to get out of anime.

Feb 21, 2012 7:44 PM

Sep 2010
DenjaX said:
Anime_Name said:
MoonFox said:

she has a loli body so.... xDDD

Sooooo the person I quoted used two words, loli and pedo, I didn't deny both. Loli can only be skin deep but pedo is a little more official. Liking someone that appears to be young doesn't make a person a pedo.

Feb 21, 2012 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
Guys, stop complaining. Stop expecting anime to be good.

Jun 2008

Jun 2008
Mar 3, 2012 5:56 PM

Nov 2010
I wasn't getting answers for a while so I gave up on the thread, but now I came back and see there's more answers :)

Ajunky said:
Kelvets said:
DmonHiro said:

Wait, what? When did I say his opinion is bullshit? All I said is that my own is different, I didn't minimize his opinion in any way.

Ahri said:
@OP, i hope you're not implying that J.C. are terrible at what they do....

Nope. In one of my answers I said the following: "I can hardly believe this is the same studio that did Nodame Cantabile!". NC was an awesome anime.

Ahri said:
Also i see people get this wrong all the time, but Kanna =/= Childhood friend, She's known him for awhile but they aren't childhood friends. Her and Tets....Forgot his name, they are the childhood friends. I can understand that you dislike the anime, i get that....but i just don't get the point of making a thread about it, unless you're wanting someone to point out the good in the show and encourage you to pick it up again?

If she isn't her childhood friend per se, she sure acts like one.

The point of making the thread is gauging how much people here care about cliché.
KelvetsMar 3, 2012 6:00 PM
Mar 4, 2012 5:02 PM

Jan 2012
Kelvets said:
I wasn't getting answers for a while so I gave up on the thread, but now I came back and see there's more answers :)

Ajunky said:
Kelvets said:
DmonHiro said:

Wait, what? When did I say his opinion is bullshit? All I said is that my own is different, I didn't minimize his opinion in any way.

Ahri said:
@OP, i hope you're not implying that J.C. are terrible at what they do....

Nope. In one of my answers I said the following: "I can hardly believe this is the same studio that did Nodame Cantabile!". NC was an awesome anime.

Ahri said:

If she isn't her childhood friend per se, she sure acts like one.

The point of making the thread is gauging how much people here care about cliché.

It's hard not to find cliche though, and most of the time that you don't find a cliche, the anime does it very wrong and it ends up being pretty bad. Just because something is new and different doesn't mean it's good. I'm having trouble understanding what you want exactly from this thread, so i apologize if i am misconceiving anything.

Good ;). Was about to say, J.C. is one of the better anime companies out there, besides Key. So :D better not diss on mah fav. company.

There are worse shows though with cliches, like R-16....That show was a complete trainwreck. I couldn't watch it after episode two. There was one show called Ben-to i enjoyed quite a bit, the storyline was pretty original, although it did have cliche elements on some of the parts, still very enjoyable.
Mar 5, 2012 7:02 AM

Mar 2008
Personally, I don't find a cliche plot to be a significantly detrimental factor to my enjoyment but rather the execution of the plot and the development of likeable characters. So as a result, the plot doesn't bother me here.
For me the actual issue is that I don't quite find myself attached enough to these characters and their struggles to care about what happens to them, which I suppose is an issue for another day/thread.
Mar 29, 2012 10:34 PM

Jan 2012
If you've seen Onegai Teacher, stay away from Ano Natsu. The show is a waste of time.

If you've never seen Onegai Teacher, also stay away from Ano Natsu and go watch Onegai Teacher instead.

tl;dr - Onegai Teacher >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ano Natsu
Mar 30, 2012 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
flaxman85 said:
If you've seen Onegai Teacher, stay away from Ano Natsu. The show is a waste of time.

If you've never seen Onegai Teacher, also stay away from Ano Natsu and go watch Onegai Teacher instead.

Cool story bro.
Mar 30, 2012 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
Ahri said:
flaxman85 said:

Cool story bro.

Thanks for caring, hun.
Mar 30, 2012 4:30 PM
May 2011
any anime is fine as long as the director and staff do a good job in initiating it
May 12, 2012 12:35 PM

Mar 2008
There are only so much plot archetype in the world, if u took any high school english course u will know. So story plot structure are bound to recycle, however just because they have been recycled, the setting and detail ppl put into it makes a difference.

Personally i love anime like this, cuz it happen in a little village area where is surround by mountain and rivers. It has nice scenery and the onegai sensei feel from it just make it that much more enjoyable.

Also as it is said before, if u watch a lot of anime, it will make each one less enjoyable compare to before, but people do have preferences and they can always find something that they can relate to or an anime that meet their ideals, this is what make me continue to watch anime, to find anime that meet my ideal. This anime definitely meet my ideal.

Last thing i want to talk about is how the anime is made, lot of newer anime today are badly made cuz they have no ending point or never consider an ending point when they started. Having a proper ending that summarize everything is lot more critical than you think. With a proper ending point layout, it is easier to control the pace of the anime. The pace control how much plot development and is critical to keep the suspense. This anime did a great job in bother of those area. Hence 9/10
Mar 27, 2016 10:30 PM

Apr 2009
gallivant said:

ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHA
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2016 9:33 AM

Apr 2016
You'll come across many cliche in modern writing and storytelling. It has become near impossible to avoid one or the other. I don't condone incorporating a cesspool of cliche in a show though, but even if a series is filled with cliches, that doesn't mean it is automatically bad.

Trying to actively avoid cliche is a cliche in itself. I get that the characters and situations are cliche to a certain extent, but the mix of characters and the setting for that said cliche is considerably new or fresh. I can't say that the anime is great or a masterpiece, but it is something you can enjoy and invest your time in if you are interested in the genre.

Looking for something extraordinary in every anime will make it tiresome after a point as there will only be a certain few ones that are actually breathtakingly brilliant.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier

More topics from this board

» Anyone still a fan?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

19 by samuraibuss »»
Mar 22, 2:58 AM

Poll: » Ano Natsu de Matteru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 26, 2012

437 by dodoligma »»
Mar 9, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Ano Natsu de Matteru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jan 23, 2012

192 by ALYXVNDER_ »»
Mar 2, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Ano Natsu de Matteru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 19, 2012

189 by patkarunungan »»
Feb 29, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Ano Natsu de Matteru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 12, 2012

185 by patkarunungan »»
Feb 29, 4:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.