MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Inner manga voice
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Manga Discussion »» Inner manga voice

01-19-12, 10:25 PM

I have an odd question for anyone willing to answer, while you are reading manga do you imagine the voice in your head speaking the dialogue in English or Japanese? I often have the problem after watching an anime that my inner voice is speaking in English and ruins my manga experience =[ Does this happen to anyone else?

01-19-12, 10:36 PM

Maybe not the language, but the kind of voice I imagine them having. That is why I make a point to watch the anime before reading the manga. I become thoroughly disappointed at some seiyuu selections if I read the manga first, then watch the anime. This happened to me for Fruits Basket, read the manga first, then watched the anime. Well, tried. I couldn't sit through five minutes of it, in either Japanese or English.

01-20-12, 9:53 PM

I agree with the first reply. I always watch the anime before reading the manga. As for the language of my inner manga voice, it always speaks in English. xD It would be weird if it could speak Japanese, to say the least. xD

01-20-12, 9:54 PM

English. Sometimes I think of the tone of the voice and how the person would say the words but sometimes I just read without thinking of those at all.

01-20-12, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I kinda imagine a voice whenever I read manga. It varies among each character and depends on their looks and personality.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.

01-22-12, 4:46 AM

Imagine them speaking Japanese, of course as I can't really speak it I just imagine what kind of voice a character would have. Though it's kind of painful to listen to any adaptations since I've already decided what each character sounds like and when these don't fit my mental image it feels very wrong.

01-22-12, 9:44 AM

I usually hear it in English...which actually makes it easier to watch dubs than if I had seen the Japanese version first.

01-23-12, 12:35 PM

Scottish accent

01-23-12, 5:00 PM

Well since I can't read Japanese, I read all of my manga in English and imagine all of the characters speaking in English. I normally just come up with a voice that I think fits them or if I've seen the anime version I normally picture that voice. My manga experience is never ruined just because I imagine them speaking English. English is my native language and since I can't speak or read Japanese it's pretty much impossible for me to imagine the characters talking in Japanese. It can be annoying sometimes when I watch an anime adaption of a manga I have read and the characters don't sound as I thought they would, but I get used to it.

01-23-12, 10:49 PM

They speak English with American accents in my head lol. I don't think about it so it doesn't bother me really.

01-26-12, 8:15 PM

Everyone speaks english in my head...sometimes I imagine some voice actors I know that I think would suit the roll haha

01-28-12, 1:41 PM

I don't imagine any character's voice while I read, it's the same how I read novels and stuff.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices