Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 24, 2014 1:20 AM

Aug 2008
arimakenshin said:
6/10
Poor animation with a decent, pessimistic, unimpressive look at humanity via a person who refuses to be a spectator instead of a participant in her journey. It would be a great injustice to allow this anime to get the same/better rating as Mushi-shi.

Don't use Mushi-shi as a reference to judge this anime. Even though both shows had similar atmosphere, this show was unique in its own right which is why it just happened to have a similar rating with Mushi-shi.
FalloutShounen3Jan 24, 2014 1:26 AM
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 12, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2013
iTsukiko said:
that .... end ..... WHYYYY!!! :(

'cus ... ... ... -.-

Anyway WHAT a SHOCK! Freezed me on the spot!
Feb 21, 2014 8:33 AM

May 2013
Simply put, a beautiful anime.
Apr 2, 2014 1:12 AM

Aug 2013
Iirc, Kino said there was one place she wanted for more than three days. I guess this country was it. Can't blame her though I mean she probably got mindblown when she met Sakura and her family. It would have been like looking at the life you could have had. It was a little too perfect and all the while I was waiting for something bad to happen like with the original Kino. Instead they were kind until the end and I was thinking "that could be the country Kino would choose to return to when she decides to end her journey." Then that happened FFS.
- - -

10/10. Definitely one of the best series I've ever watched.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 5, 2014 6:35 PM

Jun 2013
7/10. It was often somewhat intelligent and insightful, but other times extremely stupid and childish (the anti-war propaganda in episode 12, for instance).

This show is in no way a masterpiece, and giving this 10/10 would infer you have a weak mind and are willing to buy anything that remotely resembles intelligent design. This is because you, people who call this a masterpiece, are pitifully unintelligent and hope to fill this void.
Apr 16, 2014 11:58 AM

Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
7/10. It was often somewhat intelligent and insightful, but other times extremely stupid and childish (the anti-war propaganda in episode 12, for instance).

This show is in no way a masterpiece, and giving this 10/10 would infer you have a weak mind and are willing to buy anything that remotely resembles intelligent design. This is because you, people who call this a masterpiece, are pitifully unintelligent and hope to fill this void.

Not surprised for someone who has favourites being predominantly mecha and action type anime, just shows how vehement you are towards such thought-provoking series. Nevertheless, watched this in mid 2013, and still considered one of my favourite anime. Beautiful art and music also adds more to the contemplation of each episode. A masterpiece from my standpoint.
Apr 17, 2014 4:39 PM

Sep 2008
ex_necross said:

what's your mental age again? 9?
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 24, 2014 9:36 PM
Dec 2008
I took time off studying for my philosophy module to watch some anime, although I've heard of this anime being good, I've never expected it to make me think so much. (It's almost like not taking a break at all).

I thought this episode was beautiful, it was a good ending to the series. Many ways Sakura and Kino were paralleled; I think you could take it that if Kino originally chose not to question her country's practices and left, she would be "dead" the next day as well by being turned into an adult.

Many people here probably wonder why they couldn't have just packed up and left; I think it would be a mistake to take Kino no Tabi at face value. Humans are habits of creature, just look at how many people continuing to smoke, stay in abusive relationships or do things that they know are obviously harmful. It's hard to break out of habit once you are used to it, sometimes logical reasoning won't help at all.

Overall this was a masterpiece in my opinion. Each episode is very thought-provoking and highlighted expressed issues that have plagued us since the beginning of time.
Apr 27, 2014 8:10 AM
Jul 2013
jinx-panda said:
I took time off studying for my philosophy module to watch some anime, although I've heard of this anime being good, I've never expected it to make me think so much. (It's almost like not taking a break at all).

I thought this episode was beautiful, it was a good ending to the series. Many ways Sakura and Kino were paralleled; I think you could take it that if Kino originally chose not to question her country's practices and left, she would be "dead" the next day as well by being turned into an adult.

Many people here probably wonder why they couldn't have just packed up and left; I think it would be a mistake to take Kino no Tabi at face value. Humans are habits of creature, just look at how many people continuing to smoke, stay in abusive relationships or do things that they know are obviously harmful. It's hard to break out of habit once you are used to it, sometimes logical reasoning won't help at all.

Overall this was a masterpiece in my opinion. Each episode is very thought-provoking and highlighted expressed issues that have plagued us since the beginning of time.

I agree with your point on interpreting the message of each episode.

The saddest part of this episode for me is how it is hinted that the child knew of the impending doom. She expressed shock when Kino announced she would stay longer, she showed Kino her "magical place" that she had never shown anyone, and she gave her the seeds.

The sad thing is, if that's true, then she knowingly refused her parents offering her an escape by traveling.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the lines of "doing what you should do" and "doing what you want to do." I just don't know if the child wanted to be a tour guide because she wanted to or stayed because she felt she should. And I wonder if this has any symbolism for how the similar paths of Kino as a child and Sakura (Lily) diverged.

On further thought, perhaps the difference was that Sakura had no reason to leave her town. She was in a good place with good people. Kino lived in a town with a dark secret and were willing to kill their own to preserve it. Sakura's town had repented and cleansed itself. I might be stretching for a point here, but maybe the message was that if death one day is inevitable, then dying among those you love, peacefully, is a good way to go.
Ilike69Apr 27, 2014 8:19 AM
Apr 27, 2014 10:23 AM

Apr 2014
I cried so hard in the end. I surprised myself really...

It was a very powerful moment for a powerful anime series.

10/10
May 1, 2014 8:41 AM

Apr 2014
really a beautiful story I almost cried at the end
May 8, 2014 2:21 PM
Dec 2012
There's not a whole lot about this episode to say, save that Kino's human too, and that its events back to the quote which defines the series. There's all the clever sensory details, but the theme remains pretty straightforward.

Some might find the entire village resigning themselves to death to be a retarded decision, but there's just something about it for others, like I, that respect that choice, and respect how far they went to their acts up to town a new, kind slate before being wiped. "The world isn't beautiful..." Yet, in the midst of that, in reaction to that, because of that "...therefore, it is."
May 13, 2014 3:50 AM

Oct 2010
ex_necross said:

I'll bite.

It has been a rather long while since I watched Kino's journey. It is a 10/10, and a show I am very fond of. And if it is a show I am fond of, it is precisely because it trascends any flat label ("this show is deep", "this show is intelligent") and creates a personal attachment. Your rather insane logic here assumes that I didn't enjoy this show because of its mood, or the romanticized description of the main character, or the feeling of exploration and wonder, or even the quality of the show to be thought-provoking. Because throwing high complicated concepts doesn't necessarily mean that something is thought-provoking. What we find in Kino's journey are parables, simplified examples, that work by creating a mood in the audience to expand them with their thoughts.

Oh yeah, and this episode... I'll simply say that it has the most heartrending image I have seen in the whole series.
Jun 1, 2014 5:31 PM

Nov 2012
Kino's real name is Sakura,(wish I hadn't spoiled myself about this before watching this episode).

Sakura really does resemble Kino,they're pretty parallel.I honestly thought this was going to be deja vu and Kino was going to die and Sakura would become the new Kino.

The whole country was destroyed...
Kino's expression matched mine perfectly.You could just tell by looking at her face how helpless she felt.

"There's no need for me to keep this." Wow,just amplifying the sadness by 10 fold.Sakura dying was so unfair since she had the chance to leave with Kino before dying.Nearly cried because of this.

Probably the hardest/most conflicting show I've ever had to judge,in the end gave it a 9/10.
Jun 21, 2014 2:11 AM

Nov 2012
This was such a sad episode. i liked how they -the studio- decided to end the anime on the episode where Kino travel to a country that almost represent her own country. the girl shares the same name with Kino -sakura- her parents were a hotel managers, there were boys who made fun of her. they almost share the same personality, also.

since it's an episodic show, i have to judge it by the 13 stories/episodes. there's a slight quality disparity between the 13 stories. some provided a deep, nice philosophical messages, some were nice, but kind of pointless. most of the episodes was a 4/5 for me. so i guess my final score for the show would be 8/10

A show that makes you think, a show that you have to think to truly appreciate it.
Aug 4, 2014 3:00 AM

Aug 2012
This show gave me a lot to think about and I enjoyed every episode. I especially loved the subtleness, as every episode can be interpreted differently by different people. Or any meaning can be missed at all. It just means that everyone is at a different point on their own reflective journey.
"The world is not beautiful: therefore it is".

Comparing Kino's Journey to Mushishi is inappropriate. One is subtle and thought-provoking, while the other is written by a woman and is emotion provoking with superficial themes about family and love.
Aug 16, 2014 10:13 AM

Dec 2012
Cenedess said:
Did you notice? Both Sakura's an Kino's parents had been running a hotel and both of them had welcomed a traveler. And the teasing part was similar, too :)

I think Sakura knew somehow...
And Kino finally showed some emotion :O And how powerful that was...So surprising.
That was a beautiful ending to a wonderful series. Wow, I'm almost crying. Stupid, stupid...
I surely won't forget this series.
Aug 24, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2013
WOW! That episode was a freaking masterpiece! I was on the verge of crying when the lava engulfed the town. My jaw fucking dropped when Kino was just standing there in shock knowing that Sakura died. 10/5

Great anime. Was a little confusing at times but I still enjoyed it nevertheless. 8.5/10
FunnyRatmanMar 1, 2015 11:51 PM

Mar 25, 2015 4:35 AM

Dec 2013
WHERE'S THE SEQUEL???
It's been 12 years now.. such a great series.
Apr 20, 2015 2:23 PM

Feb 2008
A shocking ending. Yet, it felt awfully appropriate.
Apr 24, 2015 3:50 PM

Mar 2015
Sad but beautiful end. I love it.
Jun 1, 2015 2:28 AM

Jun 2014
what a unique experience, i'll never forget this one :)

maybe i'll even start reading the novels
:3
Jun 9, 2015 1:03 AM

May 2015
Every time I see a bird flying I get a burning desire to go on a journey... Stupid show xD

9/10 personal review. This one struck me deep & made me question a lot of things I do without 'thinking' about why I do them... & other things I think too much about doing without actually 'doing.' Great ending. Very inspiring & great writing overall. Animation seemed a little dated but didn't take away from the feeling & emotions portrayed in this beautiful show. It really is a beautiful world.

Thank you Kino
The wolves are at my door... And I can see the writing on the wall.
Jun 11, 2015 8:06 AM

Dec 2012
This episode was slowly picking my heart apart as each action the townspeople made resembled a dying wish to pass onto a traveler so that they would not be forgotten in their seclusion from the world. This was a phenomenal way to wrap up the series, bringing it all home and making it personal for Kino. Being someone who has traveled and moved several times as a kid, I had a difficult time accepting the villagers' decision to stay and die with their heritage.

This was a great reminder that I need to re-watch Kino's Journey every couple of years. No matter how many times I see it, it still resonates with me and shakes loose new thoughts circulating through my head as I've gained new life experiences and perspectives each time. But no matter what changes in between each re-watch, the world still remains beautiful. 10/10 and remains in my top 5.
Jun 27, 2015 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode to end the show on.
The village decided to live their final days changed, welcoming a traveler with open arms.

Truly a beautiful anime that had a lot of intriguing ideas and sometimes strange costums.
I would say this show was on par with Mushishi for me, maybe not as relaxing but definitely some thought provoking episodes.

9/10
Jun 30, 2015 1:29 PM

Aug 2014
Hm. Not the way I expected the show to end, but not a bad end nonetheless.

The show felt a little simplistic at times, but it was quite thoughtful and was able to depict its ideas without being pretentious at all. 8/10

As a side note, I felt that the animation for this show was honestly fantastic for 2003.
Jul 6, 2015 8:43 PM
Dec 2014
Mogami-kun said:
Anyway, I'm glad Sakura accepted her fate, it really pissed me off how her parents took her with them.

Everyone else is necro-ing the thread so I might as well too.
The parents wrote the letter after Sakura refused to go with Kino, so the parents didn't take Sakura with them, Sakura went with them herself knowing full well what would happen.
Other than the bone you had to pick with the over exaggeration part, which I thought was appropriate and fitting for allegories the show is trying to pull, I agree with you.
-----
This show is a true masterpiece for me, if some of the other shows that I just plain enjoyed so much that I gave it a 10/10, i regret that decision because that would be putting it on the same level as Kino no Tabi, which went beyond enjoyment and actually had me thinking, in other words, impacted my in the real world besides just making me think "oh, this is sad."
I don't really see a parallel with Mushi-shi, but then I didn't enjoy it much. I'd personally have drawn a reference to Kamisama no Inai Nichiyobi.
Aug 19, 2015 11:15 PM
Jun 2013
I Wish this could have lasted forever...
I miss you already Kino. But it's okay, I know I'm going to be rewatching this a lot of times over the next few years.
Dec 11, 2015 9:07 AM

Dec 2014
I loved it so much! Why can't there be more? I didn't know I was going into something this good when I started it. Kino and Hermes are awesome and I wish I could see more of them. The atmosphere this show gave off is different from anything I've watched thus far. I'm going to watch the movies that came out now and be sad that there's no more left after it.

10/10
Dec 11, 2015 11:18 AM
Sep 2014
10 / 10
Dec 12, 2015 1:51 AM

Jan 2014
Wow. This was so depressing. 10/10
I WANT MORE
Jan 19, 2016 6:42 PM

Sep 2015
A melancholic end to a great series. It explores the darker side of humanity without it becoming overly preachy, while still giving the viewer a sense of optimism that there is good in the world.

My only negative is that i was not much of a fan of the art style.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 18, 2016 6:51 PM

May 2014
koreye said:
I think some people dont like this anime and its philosophy because its too blunt and cynical. But I think it sums up a lot of things about human nature and condition perfectly. We aren't as good, innocent and deep as we'd like to think.

Yeah I agree. I also think some people seem to be missing that these are obviously exaggerated situations, and aren't implied to be realistic. Like the democratic country that voted everyone to death in episode 5. Obviously that wouldn't happen like that in real life, but it still makes the point that "pure" democracies would end in the majority overpowering the rest and getting their way with everything. I loved this final episode and as a whole I loved this show. Gotta get on the OVAs/movies for this, and then probably move on to the LNs because I need MORE.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 24, 2016 6:46 AM

Jan 2015
Beautiful last episode. This Anime is up there with Mushishi and I was close to handing it a 9/10. Seems I'm not out of worthwhile Anime just yet.
Mar 13, 2016 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
At first I thought the explosion was from all the endowments the citizens gave her, so my heart skipped a beat, thinking Kino was dead. Nice one.

10/10
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Mar 23, 2016 7:35 PM
Oct 2015
Great anime, I really enjoy watching this 10/10. Feel sad for that country knowing that tragedy would happen, still they accept their faith, now I know why Sakura's parents asking Sakura if she wants to travel, its because they love their daughter so much and they want Sakura to be saved, such a loving parent and I almost cried for that because they are different from Kino's selfish and crazy parents.
Apr 3, 2016 5:29 PM
Mar 2016
I must be missing something, how did you guys deduce that Kino's real name is Sakura?

I thought this episode was great but anti-climactic. At first I thought the title pertains to Kino (tomorrow never comes, meaning, you're going to be dead soon. Literally) and I didn't really want her to die. Imagine my relief/horror when the victims turned out to be the citizens. Though I had a hunch what was going to happen when there was a brief shot of the volcano in one scene.
Apr 8, 2016 6:59 AM

Oct 2014
Waynflete said:
I must be missing something, how did you guys deduce that Kino's real name is Sakura?

It's a very subtle message. I do not recall the episode no. out of my head as I just completed the series right now (probably episode 4, where she meets the "Kino" who dies and she takes up her name and journey)

She particularly speaks, "My name is supposedly a beautiful flower but everyone teases me so I forgot" or along those lines.

This is one hell of a conclusive ending, I think this anime will have an impact on watching other philosophical work out there. Never forget, "the beautiful world" is a title bait as it only brought tears to my eyes ;-;
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 10, 2016 9:22 AM
Mar 2016
Iizbakaokay said:
Waynflete said:

It's a very subtle message. I do not recall the episode no. out of my head as I just completed the series right now (probably episode 4, where she meets the "Kino" who dies and she takes up her name and journey)

She particularly speaks, "My name is supposedly a beautiful flower but everyone teases me so I forgot" or along those lines.

I remember now! Thanks.
Jun 10, 2016 3:30 PM

Feb 2013
That's where Kino got the 2nd gun.
Hints at Kino's real name.

Those people are idiots. They could have left temporarily and rebuilt after the disaster.

The episode had me wondering why the bad rumors, but that conclusion sure was a surprise.

5/10 (average) overall.
While some of the episodes were interesting, it was a bit slow and boring.
Jun 19, 2016 7:35 AM

Aug 2012
Everyone dying? WTF.
Jul 20, 2016 2:26 PM

Jun 2009
When I started out with the Anime I thought it would be up there with Anime such as Mushishi considering its rating, but unfortunately it have quite a lot of issues that just destroyed my enjoyment.

For the animation it wasn't very good, and the weird effect that was being used all the time didn't really have a positive effect on the experience while watching it.

The characters were all very disappointing, considering the monotone approach they have gone with for the people Kino meets. If we focus on our two main characters, we have Kino the passive person, which aren't interesting in what she do, since she just serve to show the different country without actually doing anything. Yes she have her desire to survive, and does show some personality, but from a character perspective she is quite boring. Then there is Helmes, which at least come with some insightful comment, but instead of just being passive he is closer to invisible for our world and story, and can't take any action.

Then there is the story, which isn't very important, considering it is episodic and the episodes are just about showing its message.

Lastly the enjoyment, well the true problem of this show is very simple it is just about bringing up different philosophical concept, and it does it in a very textbook way of doing it. The whole monotone approach is boring, and the fact he just gave focus on the cruelty of human nature leaves me out much variety in the show, which it solely needed considering every character is flat as a paper. The only good thing I really can say about this show was how it was very unique in its story telling, shame that it couldn't really doing anything other great as well :-/
Aug 16, 2016 4:02 PM

Apr 2013
I'm not a fan of slow paced shows particularly slice of life genre but in a few rare cases there is the one that manages to catch my attention. Unfortunately KnT isn't one of those shows. One of the biggest problems I had with this show is it's episodic nature and the fact that the main heroine ends up being nothing but a passive observer. "Traveling from country to country, meeting new people, exploring the world" sound's good as a concept but that's it. A recollection of tragic settings unrelated to each other is all that you're going to witness in this story.
Oct 11, 2016 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
I had a great time with this series, but I feel like this finale doesn't do it justice. Oh well, they say it's the journey that counts, not the destination.

I think my overall score will be somewhere around 7/10 and 8/10. It was a unique experience, one which I will remember for a long time, and there were times where I was even fascinated. On the other hand, not all episodes gave me enough "kick", and this inconsistency, along with the finale I found clumsy, makes me not want to give it a 9 or 10.
Oct 23, 2016 2:33 PM
Feb 2015
that was a rather pleasing anime i really enjoyed this episode and overall it was a 9/10
Nov 11, 2016 12:52 PM

Feb 2016
Damn, this was G.O.O.D. kino mAAd city. Although this ending is not showing the actual endpoint of the timeline (Kino keeps on travelling), it is a very fitting conclusion anyway. While Kino's main reason to have started travelling is "because she is a traveller" (but also because she would have been lobotomized), we're shown what's the force that drives her through all of these countries without stopping and thus ever leaning towards the opposite of travelling: that is, to settle down. Settling down would mean getting closer to people and bonding with them, but she couldn't put up with separating from them or seeing something bad happen to them. She was way too shocked when the pyroclastic flow burnt that city (the look on ep13 Kino's face is very harsh if you didn't notice). She got emotionally involved enormously by the start. How do you avoid that? By limiting your stay and never settling down. We can also presume that Kino had travelled quite a bit before getting to ep13's country but that her impetus to travel was starting to dwindle, hence why she wanted to stay a bit more. So the initial impetus now dwindling was reignited by this harsh wakeup call and never got back again. I'm feeling a strong nine about this.
umusNov 11, 2016 1:04 PM
Nov 22, 2016 1:48 AM

Dec 2013
For a moment when I heard the explosion I thought they were attacking Kino. Didn't expect everyone to suddenly die ;_;
Dec 26, 2016 5:51 PM

Aug 2014
Very sad episode :(
I wanted them to explore the themes more, unfortunately we got only 13 episodes i can imagine it being a lot better if it was 26 episodes.

Nevertheless, very good show, enjoyed it.

8.2/10
Jan 4, 2017 9:37 PM

Jan 2013
This episode shook me to my core, single handedly the most powerful anime episode I have ever seen. I was feeling uneasy throughout the entire episode, something seemed so off, and then that twist at the end. Fucking bravo. Very well done.
Jan 9, 2017 9:01 PM
Oct 2015
Wow.. her parents gave her an out and the girl knew what was coming but she wanted to stay with her family to the bitter end. I was gonna give this show an eight but honestly I have to give it a nine after this one.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.