Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 11, 2018 2:11 PM

Oct 2012
Very clever episode. Again, showing some absurd decisions based on logic and meaninglessness of things.

If every episode was like this it would be great.
May 19, 2018 11:02 PM
Apr 2017
I am utterly confused by Kino's Travels' messages. Elaborate interpretation please?
Aug 8, 2018 6:42 AM

Jul 2008
Okay I know things were taken to the extremes in this episode, but my reaction to it all is....WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK?!
Sep 22, 2018 7:22 PM

Sep 2017
I was hoping we would see Kino encountering rusted tracks again, insinuating that the railway was just a giant circle, elevating the concept of them doing meaningless work. Even if not confirmed, that's what I'm gonna believe.

The country at the end was interesting, but it did kinda feel randomly placed after the tracks thing.
Nov 27, 2018 2:31 PM

Jun 2017
this was kinda funny xD
"Gradually Watermelon"
May 17, 2019 8:25 PM

Jul 2016
I found this episode to be humorous and funny, it is so ridiculous how their work ethic is.

Jul 2016
Overall a pretty solid from a solid series.

Jul 2016
I will give this episode a 4/5
Dec 28, 2019 9:16 PM

Sep 2017
Best part of this seemingly disjunct episode was Hermes riding on the hoverpad. Hilarious.
Mar 7, 2020 5:13 AM
Aug 2016
Question: why is death sentence given to minority, there are better options seriously. If death sentence is a must then people would worry about becoming the minority instead of voting the right choice. Then, whats the point of democracy? Humanity is lost till the very end.
Mar 28, 2020 3:14 PM

May 2017
Rail society : "take care of that rail and your family will get paid"

The next day , the guy gone to work

Rail society : "the guy family ? Would be a waste, hes working anyway"

I wonder if the family get paid , or if the workers are working for nothing

Or maybe no one said the workers to stop cause the "majority" killed them before
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Jul 23, 2020 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
If this episode does not represent absurdism, I do not know what does.
Nov 8, 2020 6:46 AM

Jun 2010
The most successful episode so far I think, although it's a little awkward how it's divided into three parts (work/rule by majority/Kino tricks Hermes). The story about work is much better for the "why do you do what you do?" question being thrown back at Kino. She's played the outsider above the foolishness of the people she's encounters enough (albeit politely) that I'm glad she ends up a little flummoxed for once.

One thing that struck me about the three railroad workers is that while their work certainly seems pointless, the first and second men make the work the man behind them easier. The second man outright says the tracks being clean makes them easier to remove, and the third notes that the materials he needs to repair the track are laying around for him to use. Does this change the meaning of the situation?

The first man also made Kino's journey along the tracks easier but the second made it harder. Just a complaining aside from Hermes or what?
Jan 30, 2021 7:39 AM

Mar 2010
Are those railroad workers even getting paid. What money do they even use to get food?? Lol at the execution country.. Dumb episode.
StardewJan 30, 2021 7:47 AM
Jun 1, 2021 3:15 AM
Dec 2017
At first I thought first story was about meaningless job like a Sisyphus myth kind of thing but this explains it much better.

GreatS said:
The railroad workers made me think of the situation in England where three people were placing trees in a park. One dug a hole, one placed the tree and one filled the hole. If one of them was sick the other two still had to do their job which was as meaningless as the work these rail road workers did... wonder whether they though about this when they made this episode.

Second story is just Plato's Republic. Cool episode.
Sep 26, 2021 12:52 AM
Feb 2015
I have two competing interpretations

Suffering/restriction is necessary. The automated country uses suffering/restriction to allot resources, the railroad workers seem fairly happy working their pointless jobs to help their families, the final country would still be alive if they'd held back and suffered from living with those they disagreed with. Or

The mistakes of the past effect us and we need to learn from them so we don't repeat them. The automated country could spend their lives in leisure but they couldn't come up with a way to deal with resource allotment that wasn't stressful work like before. Two railroad workers wasted their lives because the company couldn't decide and no one was sent to tell them. The king did whatever he wanted with his power and killed dissidents so the democracy assumed an elected leader would do whatever they wanted if in power and only knew how to kill their dissidents. The king was killed in the same way his dissidents were and so the democracy was killed by the majority like the king was. Like the railroad workers wasted their lives because the company decided it was mistaken, the people of the democracy lost their lives because the majority decided they were mistaken. It's only fitting that that the country that killed those who disagreed with turning the royal palace into a park would end up expanding their graveyard into the palace garden.
Feb 3, 2022 8:53 AM

Dec 2018
brilliant, this show is a true artistic gem not like that tryhard pretentious crap you see midwits drooling over
and no, athens did not have an absolute democracy
StateofOhayoFeb 3, 2022 5:16 PM
Apr 23, 2022 2:02 PM

Jan 2009
This episode seems way ahead of its time with a possible future of automation and people voluntarily doing some jobs, though again, it's taking things to the extreme

The tale about the railroad workers sounds to me rather like some vertical type of work in which the whole purpose is to re-built the tracks and making sure they are set firm. If you think like that, what they do seems rather smart, because the first person makes it easier for the second one who in turn makes it easier for the third person to build it from scratch again

About the country with the majority voting: in a way it clearly displays that democracy is not a synonym to a Rechtsstaat or a country based on law and justice, even if it's being used like that
Apr 24, 2022 11:50 PM

Feb 2021
Imagine building a railroad that long by yourself and calling it light. I feel like this episode was meant to contrast or compare to the last one, at least in the futuristic part
Apr 27, 2022 11:56 PM

Sep 2018
I gotta say, I'm really enjoying these exaggerated stories relating to the human condition. It's neither pretentiously difficult to follow, nor is it boring. The only downside is the terrible visuals.
Aug 4, 2022 6:49 PM
Sep 2013
The first part seems to be a metaphor for people who do unnecessary or meaningless work by abandoning their family or working so hard they can't even see their family.
The second part seems to be an allusion to democracy and the French revolution, as even if most people agree it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
HAHA at the end Kino took the right path, and we already know what that means.

PT-BR

A primeira parte parece ser uma metáfora para as pessoas que fazem trabalhos desnecessários ou sem sentido abandonando a família ou trabalhando tanto que não conseguem nem ver a família.
A segunda parte parece ser uma alusão a democracia e a revolução francesa, em como mesmo se a maioria das pessoas concordarem não quer dizer que é a coisa certa a se fazer.
HAHA no final a Kino seguiu pelo caminho da direita, e já sabemos o que isso significa.
Sep 5, 2022 1:43 AM

Sep 2017
creepy ass episode.

humans need stress to survive by a country which doesn't need to work.

But they actually need to work otherwise they wont be able to live.

Bureaucratic nightmare of suddenly reversing decisions of one project and not communicating it well. though i am perplexed how the guys were able to afford food and not inquire about family and whether paycheck well. Maybe they are from dictator country.

Tyranny vs anarchy. The problem of decisions. Is tyrannical rule better than anarchial rule and vice versa.

At the end, it is better to accept decisions even if u dunno how they will turn out rather than stay on the fork on the road.

A lesson on work life balance, proper discernment of circumstances where you work and what you work towards, and whether a democratic leader isnt as bad as they say.

Sometimes, trying out an imperfect solution is better than keeping your position on something that is not perfect.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 5, 2022 1:49 AM

Sep 2017
lundra said:
I don't know if it's just me but I interpreted the railroad workers as coming from the city that Kino talked about.

People in the city seem to work for the sake of working. The railroad workers were part of this city and sent to work on the rails just to get them working.

My view is that Kino was never actually there yet but heard things about it. When she met the workers, Kino told them what she heard about their own city (which makes it more ironic when one of them says that they're crazy). Then when they ask her where she's going, well… answering that would be awkward.

Damn that is pretty fucking crazy theory but I kinda agree. However, my sense is that she was probably coming from that city and not going towards that city of where people dont need to work.

i dont think kino is kinda girl to visit same city twice.

late reply but still

i think she was going to the city where they came from, couldnt answer coz she intuitively knew it would have been destroyed by the batshit bureaucratic decisions made and when she went there, whether the decisions were by anarchy or tyranny, the city was destroyed.

Doesnt answer how the railroad guys got food, maybe they scavenged or something.

but 50 years on same project never came back home once, damn. these guys really didnt want to come back maybe coz they were scared by dictator.

feel free to reply.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 28, 2022 7:15 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
cool story about foolish people undoing each other's work. Kino is like I don't even...

This episode and last episode are awesome. it's Way better seeing stupidity + things from the higher point.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 23, 2022 2:59 AM
Aug 2022
best anime episode2
Apr 19, 2023 8:40 AM
Apr 2018
I feel personally called out by the railway section. Looking at the way I'm going, I'm destined for a shitty job all the while being chained by familial expectations.

The country with absolute majority rule was mind-boggingly stupid though. Then again, none of the places Kino visited made any sort of claim to being realistic. They are all representations of philosophical ideas taken to the most extreme level.
Jul 4, 2023 4:32 AM

Dec 2022
Not a very productive railway line. No doubt it will remain unfinished for the forseeable future. Some insightful views into the flaws of majority-based decision making here, even with the exaggerated nature of it.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Mar 2023
A railroad forever rebirthed, a country where no one has to work, and a country in ruin after being ran by a bloodthirsty majority. None of them seem like great places to be.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 29, 2008

197 by Toueki »»
Nov 27, 2023 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.