Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2011 8:11 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was quite an okay watch, kinda turned too cold war-ish for my taste.

Isabelle was very sexy with her hourglass figure, but I feel like she got what she deserved in the end. It just sucks for Micheal that his mom was such a fool, albeit a beautiful fool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2012 12:15 AM

Aug 2007
Sadly, I feel rather disappointed about the quality of this special. I went in knowing little about the premise, but immediately when I noticed a Darth Sidious-esque villain. I knew this might not bode very well. I can understand that Lupin specials can get a little ridiculous, but this was...something. Evil cult led by a magic fossil who pukes out a sword and can possess people for no logical explanation behind it all?

Yeah... I think this was the first Lupin III special. While it's still a good movie, this is definitely for the hardcore fans/Lupin III completist who just need to see every special available only.

Dec 30, 2013 12:57 PM

Jun 2010
Hias said:
I can understand that Lupin specials can get a little ridiculous, but this was...something. Evil cult led by a magic fossil who pukes out a sword and can possess people for no logical explanation behind it all?

I don't agree; I think Lupin is silly enough to accommodate things like this. There were a number of episodes of the second TV series that had outright magic in them, and there was a vampire in an episode of the third TV series.

I think the problem is rather not following through on the magic angle and letting it drop by the wayside. "Lupin vs. the Evil Wizard" might have made more sense.

Then again, I think this might be intentional. The wizard character says that the Three Masons need the computer virus to keep up because their magic is no longer sufficient. So computers are the new form of magic? The way the virus almost destroys the world at the end fits in with this. This seems kind of quaint and even naive, but remember this film is from 1989, when computer technology hadn't been insinuated into people's lives like the way it has since.
Jun 5, 2014 10:37 PM

Aug 2011
I found most of the supporting characters to be surprisingly well written and developed. I enjoyed all of the dialogue and interactions. I wish the plot had been a bit deeper or creative, but overall it was very enjoyable. I watched it with my brother, who has only seen one other Lupin film (Crisis in Tokyo) and he found it quite enjoyable. I'd disagree that it's only for hardcore fans. Part III, Red vs Green, Lupin VIII; those are for hardcore fans.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Mar 23, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2008
Boy Michael was just screwed at the end of this one.

This special took too long to really get going, didn't like it much until the endgame. 5/10
May 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Aug 2013
Meh, not Lupin's best outing.
Mar 5, 2018 10:39 AM

Feb 2015
Really enjoyable Lupin special with great animation/art and direcing from Osamu Dezaki. The plot does get a bit ridiculous and has too many threads going on, but overall the entertainment factor of it makes that more than forgivable.
May 4, 2019 5:52 PM

Sep 2011
Nice special. Isabella was pretty cool, and her short relationship with Goemon was nice too. Especially because in the end we got to know that she wasn't only using him for his strength. And you gotta love a woman who got far with her beauty and brains, so being betrayed and killed by Jimmy was anticlimactic. I mean, he might have had something going for him since he was number 3, but he just seemed like a fool.

Poor Fujiko by the way, being possessed by that decrepit, and otherworldly villain. And poor Zenigata, who didn't get much to do except asking for receipts. I laughed when Fujiko left him in that pit when she rescued Goemon and Jigen though. xD
Dec 21, 2021 8:40 AM
Apr 2021
I have 2 big problem with how things went.1:how could they leave Zeni in that building !?And neither of them even worried about him!It's an unforgivable crime.2:did Lupin really let that man kill the girl just that easy!?I knew she will die but like this?Seriously?! Next to these things it wasn't a bad movie.I love how badass Lupin was there.Fortunately if all members of the gang don't get their own screentime,it brings the "Lupin is the pratagonist and is badass"consequence with itself.I still prefer Hemingway papers out of the Dezaki Lupin films.And the Napoleon dictionnary of course.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.