Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2008 11:09 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If Taiki really wants to keep it a secret that he can manipulate wind he's sure doing it wrong. Of course Nao wasn't helping at all either.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 13, 2010 3:04 PM
May 2010
I really liked this one, fever dreams rock
May 6, 2013 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
The worst episode of any anime I've ever seen.
May 21, 2013 4:38 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I have to disagree with the nurse. A journey that comes to an end means you have stopped.

Never stop.
Aug 3, 2014 6:33 PM

Nov 2013
It's a pity that people will dismiss this episode as "bad" just because it seems boring and eventless. There's a lot going on beneath the surface.

Makino is an adult, but people often claim that he is too immature for his age. That's because he's the type of person who, rather than control the wind, would rather let the wind carry him around. He loves traveling so much that he can describe the countries he's visited with great detail and even sleeps in the infirmary because it reminds him of small hotel rooms. Besides, why would he want to control the wind when he gets so much pleasure from following it? The kids love him for this, because they too want to drift along and learn about new things. His vast repertoire of ghost stories from different countries are perfect for that.

The nurse, on the other hand, is quite aware of her responsibilities as an adult. This is most clearly seen at the end of the episode when she remarks that there should always be an end to a journey. She sees Makino's stories as simple fantasies that she will never feasibly get to experience because of her duties to work and family, even though it's obvious that she really wants to go out and travel. This is an urge that probably all of us have had at some point, and it's easy to emphasize with her.

I liked how this episode made me feel like I was Nao, who was trying her best to pay attention to the adults talking despite her lethargic state. Her feverish hallucinations contrasted quite nicely with the adults' straightforward and almost boring conversation. I was intrigued with the gentle wind that would appear whenever Makino talked about the places he visited. Was he unconsciously controlling the wind because of of his love for traveling, or was it just Nao imagining things as a result of her fever?
May 10, 2016 10:41 PM

Jun 2015
I wonder what this show is aiming for, considering the premise they introduced within the first 2 episodes is hardly being developed anymore. I guess I didn't expect a series able to make a whole episode out of visiting the infirmary like this, and what is the point of reveling themselves as wind manipulators to that teacher? Seemed not only like an unnecessary, but an unexplainable move.

Overall quite of an eventless episode compared to the previous ones.
Jun 24, 2016 10:25 AM

Apr 2009
The weakest episode IMO.

I thought that this show will concentrate on the story of manipulation of the wind.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2017 12:56 AM
Nov 2015
Tien said:
It's a pity that people will dismiss this episode as "bad" just because it seems boring and eventless. There's a lot going on beneath the surface.

Makino is an adult, but people often claim that he is too immature for his age. That's because he's the type of person who, rather than control the wind, would rather let the wind carry him around. He loves traveling so much that he can describe the countries he's visited with great detail and even sleeps in the infirmary because it reminds him of small hotel rooms. Besides, why would he want to control the wind when he gets so much pleasure from following it? The kids love him for this, because they too want to drift along and learn about new things. His vast repertoire of ghost stories from different countries are perfect for that.

The nurse, on the other hand, is quite aware of her responsibilities as an adult. This is most clearly seen at the end of the episode when she remarks that there should always be an end to a journey. She sees Makino's stories as simple fantasies that she will never feasibly get to experience because of her duties to work and family, even though it's obvious that she really wants to go out and travel. This is an urge that probably all of us have had at some point, and it's easy to emphasize with her.

I liked how this episode made me feel like I was Nao, who was trying her best to pay attention to the adults talking despite her lethargic state. Her feverish hallucinations contrasted quite nicely with the adults' straightforward and almost boring conversation. I was intrigued with the gentle wind that would appear whenever Makino talked about the places he visited. Was he unconsciously controlling the wind because of of his love for traveling, or was it just Nao imagining things as a result of her fever?

So true!!! Love this so muhc!!!
May 30, 2017 1:03 AM
Nov 2015
BADASS TEACHER!!!
I like the way Taiki tries to keep the secret by talking as if he's joking.
The monologue of Makino-sensei has to be one of the best scenes I've seen. How can he put his thoughts and pieces of memories into those words?? And when Nao saw things before her eyes, and the music set in, it makes me think of GITS's The Making of Cyborg and that scene in the film. They're both dreamy in the best sense, and the Kenji Kawai music adds to that.
May 30, 2017 1:09 AM
Nov 2015
A long time I haven't been this excited every time the preview comes on.
OHMYGOD hitting the can, and in dark alleys, and ghosts.... I LOVE THAT!!!
Will it ever show Taiki-sensei go to Malay???? PLEASE PLEASE!!!
Apr 23, 2018 9:49 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watching; This episode is so engaging, both visually and in the conversation the teachers have. There is nothing unnecessary here, everything comes together and it's so mundanely beautiful. The way they talk about their wind manipulation, half seriously, makes a lot of sense for this series. The wind manipulation is important, but I never felt that dealing with it so seriously was necessary, as it should allow things to occur, rather than be the focus.

It pains me to see people react negatively to this.
Dec 15, 2018 2:02 PM

Aug 2015
I liked this episode. The sound is on point and I appreciated the themes being explored here.

The subject matter is also interesting because it is implicitly resting on the modernized position of Japan compared to developing Asian countries that remain exotic and 'Oriental' in comparison.
Dec 14, 2019 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
Taki and Nao revealing that they're wind manipulators to Makino is actually pretty nice as Taki knows Makino is the type of guy to play along with it considering how he's apparently "childish" for his age. It's also a nice midpoint as far as discussing the supernatural goes because it serves as a nice lead in to Makino's speech about Malacca juxtaposed with Nao's fever dream.
Apr 13, 2020 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
Just when I thought that this anime couldn't get any more boring! My eyes literally shut for a couple of minutes due to how boring this was.

I'm dropping this now. I gave it a chance, but it's just not for me. The art style was weird enough, but I would've stuck with it if it were actually interesting, but it's not.

Dec 22, 2021 5:20 PM

Jul 2019
I was a little switched off with this episode ngl. But from what I remember, the teacher, Makino, seems like a strange dude. Being called out for his childish nonsense, and I suppose sleeping in the infirmary strengthens the point. But he has his fair bit to share.

Overall, the episode was more chilled and relaxed compared to a lot more. The theme of wind was really just the different places it goes to I suppose. Touches and carries all. It's a nice change compared to literal plot points.
Apr 27, 2022 2:59 AM
Jun 2013
Easily my favorite episode thus far. Really enjoyed the tone and the sense of adventure. Reminds of being sick as a kid and my grandma would tell me stories of her childhood ^^
Feb 2, 2023 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
This show has such a mature air to it that it hurts. Also, love the conversational tones.
Feb 6, 2023 3:55 PM

Sep 2020
Great episode, felt like a stage play.

Makino has a pretty good setup: teach class for 30 min then chill in the infirmary, and do some exotic traveling every year. Too bad society wants to hold him back.

The theme is definitely "freedom."
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 10 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 20, 2008

12 by melanpon »»
Jan 16, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 13 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 24, 2008

20 by ManuelFragment »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:37 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 1 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 29, 2008

26 by Bebop_the_Bear »»
Apr 11, 2023 6:26 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 9 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 11, 2008

15 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:50 PM

Poll: » Windy Tales Episode 8 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jul 10, 2008

13 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 10, 2023 8:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.