Forum Settings
Forums

Who else here DOESN'T read scanlations or other online manga?

New
Aug 18, 2011 10:16 PM

Jul 2011
The only scanlations I read are bara, and I download a few chapters of titles that interest me. Reading manga on a computer just doesn't do it for me -- I find I don't appreciate the series as much if I'm just reading it for free online. I love having the physical copies -- they flow much better, and it feels more like I'm actually reading a book, as opposed to just looking at comic panels, like a webcomic or something. Anyone else in the same boat?
... and EAT IT !!
Aug 19, 2011 12:28 PM

Jan 2011
I buy it, unless it's not published in English.
Aug 19, 2011 1:03 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
If I was a born and raised Japanese person I would probably only subject myself to physical copies but since I'm not, theirs no way I would ever restrict myself to just what can be purchased from the store. Literally half the manga's I've read or reading right now (including Doujins) will never be on the American market. On top of that, the time it takes for said manga's to be licensed and translated is even slower then some of the slowest scanlation groups today.

hunnyrider said:
The only scanlations I read are bara, and I download a few chapters of titles that interest me. Reading manga on a computer just doesn't do it for me -- I find I don't appreciate the series as much if I'm just reading it for free online. I love having the physical copies -- they flow much better, and it feels more like I'm actually reading a book, as opposed to just looking at comic panels, like a webcomic or something.

It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Whether I read it in a book or looking at it on the screen makes no difference to me. I still get the same satisfaction either way and I use my 32inch Samsung as a computer monitor so it's not like it's restricting. It's very convenient and I have certain programs that cater to online manga readers like myself that make the experience a little better.

MMCE
KuroDubZeroAug 19, 2011 1:08 PM
Aug 19, 2011 2:31 PM

Jul 2011
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
Well in the title you said you don't, but in your post you said you do, therefore you do read scanlations. :P It's different than saying you don't prefer reading it online~

I technically do, I guess, but bara is mainly one-shots as opposed to series, and I only download a chapter or two of any given series to see if I want to invest in physical copies @_@" but yeah, it's my least favorite way to read manga too ...
... and EAT IT !!
Aug 19, 2011 2:43 PM

Aug 2008
I own over 4000 manga books and even I still read some scanlations. Preference is obviously book format.
Aug 19, 2011 2:45 PM

Dec 2008
LEGOF said:
If I had the money and resources I would actually buy the manga I read.

Hah! XD
True that. I definitely prefer reading it from the paper version, and I have bought a lot but money doesn't grow in trees. If I had access to a library with manga I would be ecstatic! :D

I doubt anyone prefers reading it from a computer screen, but like others have said, it's easy access and there's a bunch of series you can't get outside Japan. ^^

(However I recommend you buy your favorite series and encourage the market! :P)
Aug 21, 2011 5:20 AM
Sep 2010
I agree that reading Manga books are more fullfilling then reading it off a screne. But i always feel happy when i buy a book, theres somthing about owning it.. And I like the smell of the paper.. (gah Im wierd, cant believe i admit this here.) But its a wholesome feeling, and all book lovers must experience this. Its like a kid at Christmas. Love when my manga comes in the mail. (Buying from book depositry is the cheapest and most easyiest way to buy manga I have found.)
But I will only buy manga I have read on the net already, I guess I like to see if its good before i go out and spend my money.
But it just means that when I get the book i can enjoy the story all over again. Once I bought 3 volumes of a manga i had never read.. I didnt like it at all... But I had already bought 3 volumes... So I had to buy the rest... Never making that mistake again...
So I feel scanlations are really helpful. Unlike a book that you would buy, manga can go on for.. over 500 chaps in Naruto's case... So I think its good to check it out, and buy if you like it; for theres nothing like reading from a book.
Aug 21, 2011 7:36 AM

Apr 2009
TooshToosh said:
Once I bought 3 volumes of a manga i had never read.. I didnt like it at all... But I had already bought 3 volumes... So I had to buy the rest... Never making that mistake again...

I'll be honest here- that's really dumb. Unless someone's holding a gun to your head, nothing on this planet says you have to buy a series you don't like. You could have just gotten rid of the three volumes you didn't like and used your money to buy a series you did.
Aug 21, 2011 7:49 AM
Sep 2010
Sweetpea said:
TooshToosh said:
Once I bought 3 volumes of a manga i had never read.. I didnt like it at all... But I had already bought 3 volumes... So I had to buy the rest... Never making that mistake again...

I'll be honest here- that's really dumb. Unless someone's holding a gun to your head, nothing on this planet says you have to buy a series you don't like. You could have just gotten rid of the three volumes you didn't like and used your money to buy a series you did.

I agree, it was really dumb, but I thought it would get better... OK i made a mistake, ill admit that. But yeah thats why i read the scanlations first now
Aug 21, 2011 8:52 AM

Apr 2011
TooshToosh said:
.. And I like the smell of the paper..

This!

I read it online but I prefer owning the actual manga. I feel it's more fun that way.
Aug 21, 2011 8:57 AM
Sep 2010
HanSoloX said:
TooshToosh said:
.. And I like the smell of the paper..

This!

I read it online but I prefer owning the actual manga. I feel it's more fun that way.

lol lets start a fandom :P jks jks
Aug 21, 2011 10:26 AM

Sep 2008
I wish I could but I reading about 20 to 30 different on going series, that never have been and probably never will get published in English.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 21, 2011 5:06 PM
Sep 2009
I only buy or download manga. Online scanlations can be a pain sometimes because of zooming issues.
Aug 21, 2011 5:28 PM
Aug 2009
Paper>All
Aug 21, 2011 9:17 PM

Jul 2010
My room is full of volumes of various manga's that I bought but I still read it online since I'm broke. Although reading online is a pain because there's very little chance that one page of manga will take a while for it to load.
Aug 21, 2011 9:48 PM

Aug 2011
i dont like reading manga online of course its free but i like it to be in my hand

iSignature

"I specialize in reading manga but don't get how to draw manga at all" -Asaba Yuuki-
Aug 21, 2011 10:31 PM

Jan 2010
I wish I had the money to buy the manga I read. If I did, the only reason I would read manga on my computer is if it weren't published in English.
Aug 22, 2011 2:47 AM

Aug 2011
I prefer reading manga on the internet, otherwise it's pretty boring xD

I believe in Happy endings.
Aug 22, 2011 7:34 AM

Aug 2008
I do read stuff online, but I still prefer to read it in actual book form, so I buy manga when I have the chance. I don't exactly have that much money though, and a lot of stuff I want to read isn't published in English, so reading stuff online is fine with me as well.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Aug 23, 2011 10:34 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I read too much to buy them all and most of those aren't even out in english to think of buying them xD But I prefer online either way ! It's brighter , the pages bigger and I just like it better ! I have bought manga and the sensation is dif and I didn't like it as much as online so yeah .
Same with real books . I only love reading books in my hands ! Online is kinda mehh tohugh I do some online reading as well .
Aug 23, 2011 10:51 AM

Apr 2009
I read only series that are not available in german or english online cause I understand no other languages ^^ Other than that, I buy more or less every series that looks interesting to me. I prefer real books over some data on a computer.
Aug 23, 2011 11:02 AM
Mar 2011
i own over 20000 Tankabons
and about 3000 gansobons

ttats Firstabd second Edtions

and plus i own quite a few 1st print runs of Older manga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 26, 2011 12:00 PM

Aug 2011
I will always buy the series I'm really into. However, I have nothing against scanlations and I frequently read online because I read faster than my series gets physically published lol. ^^ I'll still buy when it comes out but I hate catching up to it and then waiting... and waiting... and waiting... *cringes* My mentality is sort of like, Must Know NOW! Especially when its a particularly lengthy series. ^-^'
Prepare for trouble, Make it double.
To protect the word from devastation,
To unite all people within our Nation.
To denounce the Evils of Truth and Love,
To extend our reach to the stars above. Jesse. James.
Team Rocket blast off at the speed of Light,
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, That's Right!
Aug 26, 2011 8:41 PM

Jul 2011
I wish I could. I prefer reading out of books. But I haven't got the money to buy all the books I want to rread and my library has like... nothing.
Aug 26, 2011 9:22 PM

Apr 2011
I much rather prefer to have an actual book instead of reading online. I only read stuff online to see if it's any good before buying it or if it's not published in english yet.
Aug 26, 2011 9:35 PM

Feb 2011
I always read online unless i can get it out from the local library.
Because i have no money :(
Aug 27, 2011 7:17 PM

Jul 2011
Ha, I guess I should be pretty thankful I'm able to afford what I do buy. I only read a few series at a time, and get about 2-6 new volumes each month (depending on how much I can spend), but I love the anticipation of waiting to read each new volume @__@"
... and EAT IT !!
Aug 28, 2011 1:45 AM

Mar 2009
Reading manga in its physical form is the best. However, I'm already used to reading manga online so anything is fine as long as I get to read what I want.
Aug 28, 2011 8:05 AM

May 2011
I prefer the physical volumes, but for series like Liar Game that aren't licensed in English, I use scanlations.
Aug 28, 2011 2:40 PM

Nov 2008
Nah, I prefer reading from the screen and flipping pages just isn't the same as lazily turning the mouse wheel. And then there's that warm feeling of getting shit for free.
I might've adjusted to this lifestyle too much.
Jan 28, 2016 8:54 AM

Jan 2010
I prefer reading the physical copies it's just got a nice feeling to it. The physical copies have a more fulfilling feeling to it. And the translations are better done anyway.
I read a lot of scanlations, but this is the necessary evil, as the physical copies cost to much in my country (they're imported from overseas).
Jan 28, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2016
Rest in Piece One Manga
Jan 30, 2016 2:46 PM

Jan 2016
I wish US had comic book shops like Japan or Korea. They let you rent volumes for a really low price and you also get to browse and see what's popular. Also, there are lot of second-hand bookstores that sell entire works of classic mangas for an incredible price.

Without scanlations, reading just DBZ would've cost me $400+ in the US whereas in Japan, it wouldve been 1/10 of the price.

I wish mangas just get with the times and support/regulate/profit from internet scans (maybe through subscription or ppv). Clearly, they're not going away.
Jan 30, 2016 7:14 PM

May 2010
I do both, but I don't read things online if I know they are already published/will be published soon in my country.
Mar 23, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2014
I used to do that, my first 3 manga were Doraemon, DBZ, and Detective Conan and i read all of them in physical copies.. but nowadays i stick to the online ones because of several reason like some of my favorites (JJBA, Soma, and Nanatsu) aren't even published in my country.. the 2nd reason, even if the physical copies available, they are very far from the original ones (for example Naruto is still in vol 70 although the original already finished back in 2014).. So i guess nowadays i only read the physical copies for the older manga, while i read them online for the publishing ones.. That said i do have some collection of physical copies for several series..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 23, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
The thing is, not reading scanlations or online manga is often restricting. Licensing and translation is a long process and usually, only the most popular manga series are officially published in a foreign language. There are a lot of lesser known but equally brilliant, or niche works that is only available to overseas audiences either via online or scanlations. Yes, sometimes, not being able to turn an actually page irks me, but that simply can't be helped. I would be restricting myself too much if I stick to only physical volumes.
Mar 23, 2016 9:52 PM
Duck Overlord

Mar 2016
I like actually holding the manga in my hand as well...But in the case of V. B. Rose, I seriously cannot find it anywhere (plus I'm broke), and the last two volumes were never published in English, so I have to read it online. Other series are like that, too, so in those cases, I have no choice.
But most of the time I read the actual manga, and not the online version. My personal goal is to buy every volume of Fairy Tail. XDXDXD
"The moment you think of giving up, think of the reason you held on so long." - Natsu Dragneel

"Now I see more and understand less." - Taichi Yagami

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
6 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
8 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
9 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.