Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 24, 2015 4:15 AM

Feb 2014
In the end everyone died not sure how i feel about it but seeing Ran like that was sad 8/10
Sep 5, 2015 12:56 PM

Feb 2015
@Antilope:

Thank you very much for your information and parts of the interview. Helped me a lot to come to senses after watching this mind blowing show.

@Everyone:

Do you think - or is it clear - that after everyone died, the new circle, as the elder once stated, will soon begin? I mean, there were some hints (e.g. the blossing digital flower or the insects), but didn't the Class also stated that they and humanity itself are near extinction?
Sep 7, 2015 11:25 PM

Feb 2015
What an incredible ride.Probably the most depressing anime I've watched alongside Evangelion.Poor Ichise,what a depressing character.

STORY-9
CHARACTERS-9
ART AND ANIMATION-10 (atmopshere is absolute masterpiece level)
SOUND-10
ENJOYMENT-10

Overall~9.6/10

This shit just made my favourites list
Sep 25, 2015 8:56 PM

Jun 2014
After completing this show a second time, Im raising my score from a 7 to a 10. I now understand all the things I didnt catch the first time watching. But still a difficult decision. There's no doubt that the story, characters, art, animation, sound, atmosphere are all on a masterpiece level. But there is still no joy; it is sometimes even painful to watch. From beginning to end there is not the tiniest sliver of happiness.
Sep 28, 2015 3:11 AM

May 2008
although i like hopeless, dark, gritty animes and still not able to get over serial experiments lain i tried this out right after, i remember. maybe i was too numb from the feels. i quickly stalled it and then watched shinseki yori (which was amazebawlz). i kept wanting that same feel and was whipping through anime after anime when i tried Texhnolyze again and then I stalled again some episodes after where i previously left off and whipped through more anime. Finally today after re-watching eps 1-11 and then quickly finishing it I want to smack myself for not finishing this anime sooner. It is too bad that it is slow in the beginning because so many people would actually enjoy this anime with a little patience, but they end up dropping it. but in my honest opinion i have never wanted to go back to those slow paced episodes more than I did with this anime. That slow build-up actually felt really good after I completed it and now.. I need moar. i'd inject this anime into my jugular if I could just experience it a 4th time without knowing the ending.
Oct 21, 2015 6:20 AM

Feb 2008
God damn it, I'm depressed now. An excellent show, however.

Ran...
Nov 12, 2015 9:33 PM

Aug 2012
When he went back underground for Ran , i was hoping for him to save her at least. Depressing series with a depressing ending.
Nov 13, 2015 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
What a great show. I thought the ending was perfect. Seeing Ichise smile for the first time made *me* smile.

I plan to rewatch it in the future to catch any details I missed the first time, after I recover from the heavy emotional toll it took on me due to watching the whole thing in 3 days. I'll probably spread it out, watch at a slower pace the second time around.
Nov 15, 2015 7:18 PM

Feb 2010
Unlike many of the other anime, or shows in general, this one somewhat required your undivided attention to watch. I mean with the lack of dialogue and the much too abstract motions this anime was following, it's kinda hard to get into if you do not really pay close attention. Enjoyable series though, 9/10 for for uniqueness and creativity, though a lot of that could possibly merit for savings in funds. Though a lot of the events were not nearly thoroughly explained with reasoning for these characters were sometimes borderline incoherent.

I would round to an overall 8/10 for enjoyment though I suppose.

Dec 17, 2015 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
The ending was pretty depressing, all Ichise wanted was to have Ran by his side ...
Onishi completely obliterated by bullets, only his Texh legs standing.

The song kinda surprised me but it fit in with the sad ending Ichise got.

It really was depressing close to the end though, final few episodes.

Overall, decent anime, was a bit hard for me to get into at the start but as I went on it was interesting to see the story develop.

8/10, would have given it a 7/10 if not for the amazing characters.
PrOxAntoDec 17, 2015 7:04 PM
Dec 30, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2013
This was definitely one of the most depressing cyberpunk titles I've ever seen. The snail phase of the first few episodes makes you feel like you're watching the way grass grows on the field.
Feb 11, 2016 10:42 AM

Dec 2013
Saddest ending I ever watched. 9/10
Mar 20, 2016 11:28 AM

Aug 2014
Very Depressing ending, but I think it suits this dark anime very well.

I'm going to copy this sentence:

"I was incredibly skeptical about Code Geass Texhnolyze at first, but I'm very pleased to say that I was greatly surprised" - kiriska

This anime is surprisingly good, I was tricked by its low ratings.

Animation: 7/10 Good but its clearly not more than that, just take a look at GitS:SAC which was a year before.

Art: 9/10 - Great art style, the design of the city of Lukuss was very well done, it fits well into this dark world.

Sounds: Amazing OST that fits this dark world well, gives a scary world/atmosphere, Also Great Voice acting, Very good effects, Good OP/ED. 10/10

Story: Slow Paced which was imo very good for the series, it builds up pretty good and in the middle its BOOM!. Very Dark, Mature, one of the few anime series that is really +17. Great Themes, a few problems here and there, in the beginning and near the end but other than that a Great story. 9/10

Characters: I liked them, Ichise and the Doc were my favorite in the whole cast, but Onishi, Yoshii and many others were all pretty good, good development and traits. I wanted to see some better changes in Ichise character, and wanted some more focus on the backstory of the characters.
Also i really liked that all the cast got pretty good amount of screen time so they also focus on other protagonists. 8.5-9/10

Enjoyment: I like Dark anime, filled with thriller and a good OST, with good cast, great action at the middle, mysteries and smart plot. 9/10

Value: 8

Bonus: Atmosphere: (11) This anime has the best Dark atmosphere along with Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai Yori. Amazing.

Overall: Tex is not for everyone and I can understand why its not in the Top 100, but its ranking is #853 which is really low, so its very Underrated.

Final Rating: 9.0/10 (8.97/10)

A must watch for dark/mature anime fans.
Apr 4, 2016 9:04 AM

Dec 2014
this was the first anime i noticed ever since I joined MAL which has a rating "Wicked" for giving 4 out 5, which I found tempting and ended up giving it 4 out of 5.
Now i feel even more bad...

Jun 1, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2014
These days it is very difficult to find anime like this. I think that Texhnolyze is one of the darkest and most depressing shows I have ever watched, and one of those that leave you wondering so many things.

There is no need to add anything else, the +200 previous comments say everything. However, it is important to remember that Texhnolyze is not an anime for everyone. It is very harsh and cruel, the underlying themes are complicated, though excellent, and it can be difficult to understand the characters' thoughts and feelings. Anyway, this was really unique and I enjoyed it a lot.
SisslithJun 1, 2016 9:35 AM
Rely on nothing under heaven
Aug 24, 2016 2:03 AM

Sep 2014
If there is one thing I can say about the show then it's whenever you are thinking it can't become any more depressing it becomes more despressing... This was the kind of show where I didn't feel like crying at all but got more and more depressed/shocked until I was completly stunned during the last few episodes.
This show definitely needs a rewatch. At the moment, although it was certainly great and impactful, it wasn't quite the masterpiece I expected. However, I expect that I missed out on some hints and details scattered around the show so it's very possible that my judgement might change on a rewatch. For now it's a 9/10. Episode 7 is still my favoured episode of this show. The direction of that episode was just perfect.
Aug 31, 2016 1:36 PM

May 2010
Ichise sure got special treatment there. As expected of a protagonist. I guess the point is that he was able to accept his leg and arm finally... at least he was able to rely on them.

Ahh, I think you can summarize Ichise's bond with Ran as a spirtual/emotional one. While with the doc as a more physical/artificial one. Though I guess a lot of it depends on Ichise's own feelings. When you see the whole thing from the Doc's POV, it doesn't seem as artificial, and when seen from Ran's POV, not as emotional either. It's strange (in a good sense)

Now this was a nice anime. I liked it more than Lain as it focused on more characters and flowed far, far better. Lain was like. wth for the first 6 episodes. Like I had to force myself to watch it. Which I did and was somewhat rewarded. I consider it good, but the atmosphere in Texhnolyze is far more to my liking, the pace, too, albeit slow, is suitable. Hence why I consider it closer to Ergo Proxy rather than Lain. 9.5/10 because of its great storytelling, messages, characters and atmosphere. I dislike action, but the one in this was great. Tbh what I hate isn't probably action itself, but how it is usually portrayed in the stories. The fact that this was a psychological series helped a lot. Action+psychological is always a good combo.
I always wanted an anime about the last man standing on earth (sort of works here) The deep stuff was great, too.

And I agree, this series isn't as nihilistic as some people believe it is. Yes, it is very nihilistic, just not on the same level most believe it is. I found the ending depressing but Ichise's smile really means something. Despite all he had to go through, he was able to die a satisfying death. He was able to embrace himself. He struggled at first, but at the end, he wasn't ashamed to be the person he is. And he loved Ran even tho the later didn't return his feelings to the same extent (that's what I was led to believe, but I might be wrong ) Despite that, he still loved her. I think it was beautifully depressing, I'm just at a loss of words right now.
Honestly tho, it's obvious that the world is going to end one day, this show just iterates what is bound to happen. I don't see why this show would do well with a happier end, it would only destroy the grimdark atmosphere it set up throughout. The real message lies in Ichise's smile imo. Like this one person said before, it's not possible for the world to change as a whole. It's sad but I agree. The world is going to end one day. But we can always try to change on an individual level. Even if that won't mean anything on a global level, it would still be a great thing. Self-reflection is always good. Changing yourself for the better is always good. Finding someone who changes you for the better is beautiful. Even if that person doesn't return the sentiments on the same level, it's still a beautiful thing regardless--they changed you, that matters the most. As long as you can find a meaning in your life, as long as you can be satisfied with yourself, it's okay. You are the only person who knows yourself the best. You are only person who sees the world through your own eyes, after-all. No matter how depressing your surroundings are, as long as you can find a ray of hope; even if that hope disappears, but as long as you can die with a smile, nothing can be an alternative to that.

P.S. I disliked-hated Ichise at first, but I was able to relate with him in the end. He's a great character with amazing development. I also loved Ran's role a lot. She was treated like a grand entity for her life, when she was just scared. She probably wanted to experience like like a normal girl, but alas. Despite her best efforts, the city was destroyed in the end. And she blames herself for it. I feel like her sins are already forgiven. She did her job well. Failure isn't necessarily a bad thing. The fact that she was able to change Ichise for the better in itself is a beautiful thing. I really like her bond with his, and how it contrasts to his bond with the Doc.
Tbh all the main characters are great here. Most are flawed, but despite that, they shine.

Really beautifully series. Beautifully tragic. Love it. The more I think about it, the more I love it. Reminds me of Shinsekai Yori in that way. Tbh I don't find it all that similar to Lain, it's more of Shinsekai Yori+Ergo Proxy+Shiki, but oh well.
Truly a masterpiece.
TragicRomanceSep 12, 2016 6:40 AM
Sep 12, 2016 4:37 AM

Jul 2014
Texhnolyze is my number 1 favorite anime so I’m going to write my thoughts on the show. All this is only my opinion.

As others have said, I think the top world and the bottom world represent too possible paths humanity can take. The “good” option which is the above world and the bad option which is the bottom world, with Chiaki Konaka taking the view that humanity is destined to be in despair no matter if we “succeed” or fail. I’ll mostly focus on the bottom world in this post but the main point of the top world is that if humanity solves all its problems, society will fall into despair because there will be nothing to work towards. Another interpretation is that this is an extreme exaggeration of the current aimless middle class with the scenes at Yoshi’s work suggesting that bureaucracy is dulling our world. The top world’s society is spiritually and mentally dead but they still try to get Yoshi to fill out a form to go underground despite them not caring about Yoshi or the form at all. They are just working through the motions without meaning, and you can see this when their monitors go into panic mode and they all just sit there. Either way this creates psychopaths like Yoshi who go around murdering people for fun. The two options also show Chiaki’s view on the evolution of humanity: replacing the body with machinery is less effective than the combination of biogenetics and machine organs used by the top world.

Moving onto the bottom world, the biggest metaphor in the show is Ran. At the end it is revealed she ‘birthed’ Lux and can talk to people as the ‘voice of the city’. So she is pretty much a representation of society’s soul. She sees the future but instead of acting to avoid this future she explicitly tells her followers to act in ways that will lead to the terrible future she sees (even going as far as telling her followers to make guns for the Class). This is a metaphor saying that civilians know about humanity’s future if we neglect the environment and resource scarcity (overreliance on machinery and lack of resources to power this machinery is a key point of the show) but we still do nothing to stop it.

Now onto her relationships with other characters. Why is it that Oonishi is the only one who can hear her as the ‘voice of the city’ throughout the show? This is because he represents a good hearted politician who genuinely listens to the people and works for what society (Ran) wants. Unfortunately Ran/society doesn’t know what is best for them (more social commentary) and their desires eventually lead them to their doom. He also fails to control the corruption within his own organisation despite his best efforts; no matter how good a leader you are, the people under you will still cause pain for their own good. A rather negative view of human nature.

Now onto Yoshi. At the beginning of the show he descends from ‘heaven’ and arrives at the bottom world where he immediately receives help from Ran. There is a contradiction here as Ran tells Oonishi as the ‘voice of the city’ that she does not want a spectacle while at the same time leading a cunning serial killer into the city. Then when he starts killing people she regrets what she did. This is a metaphor for how society wants to keep the status quo while ultimately producing murders/rapists etc. But like Ran, society only regrets this when people start dying (school shootings etc).

And then there is Ichise. At the beginning of the show he has nothing to live for, but he finds a place to belong where he is valued working under Oonishi and falls in love with Doc, finding reasons to live. And that’s why he wants to protect her; he wants to protect this city where he has found at least some sort of fulfilment. But it all falls apart in the end. Ran is killed by Kano, the leader of the class (more social commentary: rich people will destroy society) and everyone dies. Ichise finally understands Nihlilism. The end.

Also every character represents a different philosophy and reacts to the end of the world in ways fitting of a person of that philosophy. This is made painfully obvious when Kano tells Ichise he is a firm believer in solipsism. Oonishi is realism/healthy dose of optimism, Yoshi is absurdism, the people of Gabe are determinism, the people of the above world are nihilism, Shinji and the Rakan are hedonism and there might be others I have missed.

Texhnolyze is the only anime I’m willing to give a 10/10. Masterpiece.
Sep 16, 2016 2:36 AM
Jul 2012
God, that was the most unsettling anime I've ever watched.

The coldest, numbest serving platter of nihilism I've ever consumed.
Sep 22, 2016 11:58 PM

Aug 2016
fieldsgrow1 said:
Texhnolyze is my number 1 favorite anime so I’m going to write my thoughts on the show. All this is only my opinion.

As others have said, I think the top world and the bottom world represent too possible paths humanity can take. The “good” option which is the above world and the bad option which is the bottom world, with Chiaki Konaka taking the view that humanity is destined to be in despair no matter if we “succeed” or fail. I’ll mostly focus on the bottom world in this post but the main point of the top world is that if humanity solves all its problems, society will fall into despair because there will be nothing to work towards. Another interpretation is that this is an extreme exaggeration of the current aimless middle class with the scenes at Yoshi’s work suggesting that bureaucracy is dulling our world. The top world’s society is spiritually and mentally dead but they still try to get Yoshi to fill out a form to go underground despite them not caring about Yoshi or the form at all. They are just working through the motions without meaning, and you can see this when their monitors go into panic mode and they all just sit there. Either way this creates psychopaths like Yoshi who go around murdering people for fun. The two options also show Chiaki’s view on the evolution of humanity: replacing the body with machinery is less effective than the combination of biogenetics and machine organs used by the top world.

Moving onto the bottom world, the biggest metaphor in the show is Ran. At the end it is revealed she ‘birthed’ Lux and can talk to people as the ‘voice of the city’. So she is pretty much a representation of society’s soul. She sees the future but instead of acting to avoid this future she explicitly tells her followers to act in ways that will lead to the terrible future she sees (even going as far as telling her followers to make guns for the Class). This is a metaphor saying that civilians know about humanity’s future if we neglect the environment and resource scarcity (overreliance on machinery and lack of resources to power this machinery is a key point of the show) but we still do nothing to stop it.

Now onto her relationships with other characters. Why is it that Oonishi is the only one who can hear her as the ‘voice of the city’ throughout the show? This is because he represents a good hearted politician who genuinely listens to the people and works for what society (Ran) wants. Unfortunately Ran/society doesn’t know what is best for them (more social commentary) and their desires eventually lead them to their doom. He also fails to control the corruption within his own organisation despite his best efforts; no matter how good a leader you are, the people under you will still cause pain for their own good. A rather negative view of human nature.

Now onto Yoshi. At the beginning of the show he descends from ‘heaven’ and arrives at the bottom world where he immediately receives help from Ran. There is a contradiction here as Ran tells Oonishi as the ‘voice of the city’ that she does not want a spectacle while at the same time leading a cunning serial killer into the city. Then when he starts killing people she regrets what she did. This is a metaphor for how society wants to keep the status quo while ultimately producing murders/rapists etc. But like Ran, society only regrets this when people start dying (school shootings etc).

And then there is Ichise. At the beginning of the show he has nothing to live for, but he finds a place to belong where he is valued working under Oonishi and falls in love with Doc, finding reasons to live. And that’s why he wants to protect her; he wants to protect this city where he has found at least some sort of fulfilment. But it all falls apart in the end. Ran is killed by Kano, the leader of the class (more social commentary: rich people will destroy society) and everyone dies. Ichise finally understands Nihlilism. The end.

Also every character represents a different philosophy and reacts to the end of the world in ways fitting of a person of that philosophy. This is made painfully obvious when Kano tells Ichise he is a firm believer in solipsism. Oonishi is realism/healthy dose of optimism, Yoshi is absurdism, the people of Gabe are determinism, the people of the above world are nihilism, Shinji and the Rakan are hedonism and there might be others I have missed.

Texhnolyze is the only anime I’m willing to give a 10/10. Masterpiece.

are you sure ichise loved doc? the "relationship" seemed so one sided basically the whole show... even in the final few eps when she has to tell him to hug him tighter, and when she holds his hand at the theatre but he doesnt respond to it all or hold her hand.. idk there was alot more but i honestly dont think ichise loved doc... more likely that he loved ran just because of what she did for him.
Oct 3, 2016 7:16 PM

Feb 2016
Tragic, sad, depressing but at the same time beautiful, emotional and meaningful. Texhnolyze even gives you small glimpse of hope which was Ichise's smile in the end. This is how I would describe Texhnolyze in just a few words.
SilentSword114Oct 3, 2016 7:28 PM
Oct 8, 2016 3:08 PM

Jul 2009
Late to the party and just finished this. This is easily my newest 9/10. I haven't given a high score to something for a long time now, so this really feels exciting lol.

Relatively simple yet deep plot, great characters, bloody-tastic action sequences and the most bittersweet finale I've ever seen in anime (Shinsekai Yori's ending is a close second). And speaking of the ending, that's certainly gonna leave a hole in my heart for days lol. The scene where Ichise tosses Ran's head into the chasm was one of the most touching things I ever saw in anime. It's made even sadder with Ran's peaceful smile and the beautiful piano music.

As for the characters, Oonishi is by far my favorite guy. Other than symbolizing the remaining hope and order of Lux, he's got the most badass scenes in the show, from parleying with the Union and Racan to his noble sacrifice. Doc is a close second. I really love how she's so nihilistic yet considered a 'good' character by the show's dark standards.

A masterpiece overall. I have no idea why this is so grossly underrated in MAL. Maybe a lot of people couldn't stomach the first few utterly strange episodes? Which is sad since the show becomes more straightforward after Ichise opens his mouth for the first time.
SkittlesOct 27, 2016 10:06 AM
Oct 27, 2016 9:54 AM

Nov 2013
Well.. I blasted through this series in just three days. It was a quite experience.

I like the soundtrack, not only it was very fitting but the many variations of it do a splendid job at providing both mood and sense of "emotional." The city of lux are vivid and quite imaginable to say the least, and as many said that I heartedly agree with, everything is coming together beautifully most notably the lack of character's motives (especially Yoshii) in earlier episodes is clear at the end of the series.

however, there are two things that ended up marring me from enjoying this show.

Firstly, my main gripe with Texhnolyze is that I don't get the somewhat unreasonable the entire characters towards Ichise, no, not when he already join Organo and become Badass, but when he's still a stray dogs in the earlier episodes. I still not grasping of why the doctor, Keigo, Shinji, Yoshii and Ran is paying so much attention to Ichise. It is as if I'm watching Bleach (just for the sake of comparison, Texh is in different league certainly) all over again. At the very least, it was sound reasonably there considering Ichigo is indeed special with its Hollow/quincy/Shinigami/whatever bloodline he has, where as I failed to see what makes Ichise has reedeming quality on his self. The guy has nothing, at all. I waited 7, 9 and finally give up at the 13 episodes to hoping the show show us what makes the characters see Ichise so special but it never happened. A bit more of explanation might have helped in getting a bit more of a grip on the story.

Secondly is regarding the characters (especially Ichise) plot armor, the show does have a lot of unbelievable situation where (mostly) in the earlier episodes where the Organo or Onishii had many chance to kill Ichise.

In Essence. I found the first half quite a mess, not because I had a problem with the pacing or it style but because the way it handles the build-up its stoires.
Second half was good, because as said, it was brought everything together nicely.

Now about, some technical score to note :

Visuals was decent, if not great. Like the muted color the show has, mechanics and movement are pretty well done.
Soundtrack was the best aspect, without a single doubt.
Despite my praising about the show explain characters motive. The cast are weak, much like serving as plot devices than actual characters.No distinguishing personality whatsoever. I don't find them relatable and I believe even some of its fan would agree with me.

my enjoyment is quite absences during episodes 11-12 otherwise was fine.

In the end. I rather like it and I can understand why someone feels more than me, it certainly departures from most modern anime but the show was not without its flaws. Do I regret watching it? No.. but it is kind of show that I don't feel lose anything if I move on with it.

Now, back to watch some idols-shit
DannyTheDonkeyOct 27, 2016 10:07 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 1, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2016
Rievlyne said:
Firstly, my main gripe with Texhnolyze is that I don't get the somewhat unreasonable the entire characters towards Ichise, no, not when he already join Organo and become Badass, but when he's still a stray dogs in the earlier episodes. I still not grasping of why the doctor, Keigo, Shinji, Yoshii and Ran is paying so much attention to Ichise. It is as if I'm watching Bleach (just for the sake of comparison, Texh is in different league certainly) all over again. At the very least, it was sound reasonably there considering Ichigo is indeed special with its Hollow/quincy/Shinigami/whatever bloodline he has, where as I failed to see what makes Ichise has reedeming quality on his self. The guy has nothing, at all. I waited 7, 9 and finally give up at the 13 episodes to hoping the show show us what makes the characters see Ichise so special but it never happened. A bit more of explanation might have helped in getting a bit more of a grip on the story.
You didn't pay enough attention. First of all, Ran's attention is obviously because of her prophetic ability which allows her to foresee what will happen in Ichise's destiny.

Doc is interested in Ichise because unlike other people who just fall over and die, Ichise demonstrates a vivacity and struggle to survive unlike almost anyone else in the city. She saves him off the streets because he, without his limbs, is perfect for experimentation. Shinji isn't interested in Ichise, and there's nothing in the series that would suggest he's overly concerned with him. Onishi isn't that interested either, but spares Ichise's life out of a shred of human compassion. Ichise manages to prove himself as he rises through the ranks of Organo and only then does Onishi pays him any heed.

Rievlyne said:
Secondly is regarding the characters (especially Ichise) plot armor, the show does have a lot of unbelievable situation where (mostly) in the earlier episodes where the Organo or Onishii had many chance to kill Ichise.
I don't even know what this means. Onishi makes it perfectly clear why he doesn't kill Ichise.
Dec 19, 2016 10:41 PM

Aug 2015
I just loved this show so much. I dropped it many times in the past trying to get past the first episodes but as soon as I started watching it seriously I loved it. 9/10 one of my favourite shows.
Feb 26, 2017 2:08 AM

Aug 2007
Hm. First, I have to say the last five episodes were absolutely stellar. I'm a huge fan of raw, depressing emotions in anime, and this one really makes you think.

However, scoring this overall... god damn, those first 12 episodes were an absolute drag. It honestly wasn't the subject material or the fact that it was slow paced. I think the hook of being invested in the characters took a long time to sink in. I really, really, really feel like this could have been much tighter of a story with less episodes. Keep the main ideas, but get rid of some of those drawn out blank shots and a bit of the conversations. If I felt all of them pulled the anime forward, yeah, keep it in there, but man. I'm SO conflicted with this show because I ADORE the themes but giving it anything above a 7/10 isn't possible for me.

This was the last anime that Yoshitoshi ABe was involved in that I needed to watch. (Well, besides Despera, which is still in developmental hell.) Here's where this stands with the lot --

Haibane Renmei 10/10
Welcome to the N.H.K 9/10
Serial Experiment Lain 8/10
Texhnolyze 7/10
NieA 7 5/10

Mar 20, 2017 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
Second half was definitely better than the first by and large, definitely one of the most depressing shows i have watched in recent memory but i truly think the 2nd half was brilliant...if only the 1st half didn't feel like a totally different show and had that same brilliance.... 7/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 24, 2017 4:17 PM

May 2015
A masterpiece, simply.
May 4, 2017 4:23 AM

Dec 2016
Despite the depression-fest that this series is so widely known for, I couldn't help but to feel happy for Ichise in the end, what with that content as hell smile on his face.

I feel the message of this story is more about the nature of life, or what constitutes as 'living', and I believe that Texhnolyze is saying that struggle in itself is the core of living. Struggle is what brings out one's innate desires and instincts for both violence and compassion, and is also what helps humans grow as people. Though Ichise's life was completely shit, he still experienced the ups and downs of living, unlike those on the surface awaiting death. He was content that he changed as a person in the end, so I couldn't help but to feel content as well.

btw Yoshii did nothing wrong.
Chinese Cartoons are the end of me
May 25, 2017 8:11 AM

Feb 2015
To be frank, I have absolute no idea what the entire show was about, but it was great.
Jun 4, 2017 10:25 AM

Jan 2016
The show immersed me instantly with its cool "show, not tell" atmosphere/vibe. Sure not much character development happened in the early episodes but I was fine with that because they had plenty of time left, it's called setup. I had no problem with Ichise being a mostly mute savage because it was part of his character, one fitting of such a world.

Despite saying I liked "show don't tell," as the series progressed and the stakes were raised I wish they told us just a little more, like why some characters behaved certain ways.

I just feel like I was missing a few plot points and I'm not really sure which ones... maybe Ran's connection to the city? I just know she has psychic power and it somehow connects her to the city/texhnolyzation. I think it's great that this show doesn't fully explain everything, but I needed just a little more to be able to piece stuff together. Or maybe I just missed some things.

I do like parts of it and ideas they were going for, I just think the show didn't fully come together post-Yoshi. It didn't quite make enough sense and felt like a weird fever dream that gets progressively worse further into the night. Though I guess that also ties into why I partially liked it.

I both liked it and didn't. Definitely "mixed". At least it showed a side of humanity we don't always see, that's why I like sci-fi. So, while I could've used a little more explanation, it's refreshing in that regard and maybe I'll grow to like it more the longer it resides in my brain. It's definitely a show that leaves an impression, which is a good quality in itself.
hintoJun 5, 2017 2:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2017 3:46 PM

Aug 2013
If Ichise had acted only once on one of his own desires instead of the other's around him, things would've turned out much better.

In the end, he only pursued his own self interest when it was far too late and when there was really nobody else left to help. His pursuit to pay back his debt to everyone left him helping nobody.

He could've stayed with the doc, he could've gone to save Ran earlier a number of times and he could've not just ran along with a mob because of feeling in debt. His inability to do any of those lead him down a path where he watched everyone around him perish and he was left alone.

/RYM/
Jul 17, 2017 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Psajdak said:
8/10
They just don't make anime like this anymore.

have to agree

also like some users stated, not sad but a feeling of nothingness
Sep 2, 2017 2:05 AM

Jun 2012
Interesting how it ends, that's unique for sure.

I liked the theme, but disliked the long-lasting gang war. For me, it was placing too many psychological aspects into a very action-centered plot. There's not much background on nearly all characters, so their motives seemed straightforward and the romance kind of random. Lots of gore and people dying, going, "Oh, there goes that guy."

Good marathon, but still prefer Ergo Proxy.
Yasu-kunSep 2, 2017 2:09 AM

Oct 10, 2017 12:47 PM

Nov 2016
Never would have thought that the end of this anime would get me so hard. I didn't even tear up,but feel hella depressed about how things turned out.

Good show overall, with an atmosphere of it's own, heavy on thought provoking themes,also with a message for it's viewers and despite I'm usually not into these kind of shows I still enjoyed it.

7,5/10,tho the end almost bumped it to an 8 for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 27, 2017 12:26 PM

Jan 2017
A simple analysis written by the user Chaos about 2 years ago:

<The anime attempt to cover a vast amount of topics of sci-fi. I will explain some of them:

1) Predestination - the idea that one cannot change the future. Ran sees the future, but is unable to change no matter what she does. In fact, she attempt to changes and indirectly caused it. She tells the people the future of the city and in return, caused its destruction as people went insane (Self-fulfilling prophecy).

2) Human Nature - there were 3 distinct classes of human: the animalistic (criminals/citizens of Lux), Theonormal (people on the surface), and a mix of both (the Class). Citizens of Lux are in fact criminals, psychopaths, and deviants of humanity society. They were exiled to the underground in order to evolve human further (or so the Theonormal thoughts). Sent there, they form a city in hope of evolving. However, it is plagued with crimes caused by their own nature. MC is the primary example of that.

The Theonormals are the good human, who thinks logically. The banish the criminals of their society in order to evolve. However without a mean of desire to push them forward, they can only stand still waiting for death. Nobody threaten their existence (unlike people of Lux) and they don't have a care in the world. They spent their days wasting away, without a sense of purpose.

The Class is a mixed of criminals who has evolved with sophistication. They are well known for being complete cyborgs. They embrace technology (texhnolyization) in order to evolve. However at some point, they stop being humans.

The anime asked: what does it means to be human?

3) Cyberization - the next evolutionary step for human. A combination of human and machine. The anime addresses the effects of cyberization on humans. For example, replacing human body parts with another or with a robot arm, the body rejects it. The effect was a disease (shown on the leader of Union's body, the brain damage to people who become Shapes, and how the robot parts change people making them less human).

4) Human Extinction - every creature that ever born has to die. However, humans for whatever reasons think they are different and extinction cannot happened to them. Extinction can comes at different forms: an unstoppable virus (think zombie apocalypse), a huge asteroid (think dinosaurs), alien invasion, and human own doing (like population, war, nuclear bomb, and human nature). This anime addresses the idea that human's nature will be its own downfall.

5) The Meaning of Life - every character in the story attempt to find their meaning to life. Some rise to power by stepping over the weak (such as the 3 gangs). Some believe of bring order to a madden world (like Onishi). Some want to destroy it (like Yoshi and Kano). Other try to invest in technology (like the Doc). And other simply want to live for no reason whatsoever (like the MC and Tooyama).

Other themes are minor like Post-apocalyptic world, Supernatural power, Human's Proud, etc. The ending I think it what most people will hate since they are so used to a happy ending. I think if MC were to save Ran and the two of them were the only two human left in Lux, nobody would complain about that.>
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Jan 14, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2017
Ending was fair to the theme and questions the anime raised.A product of profoundly deep thoughts about human race and its future!
Jan 14, 2018 5:43 PM

Mar 2012
Well there it is, it had something good and then the shitstorm with the Shapes happened.
Feb 3, 2018 5:05 PM

Jul 2014
A scene that I don't really see people talking about is the scene where Oonishi stabs the Obilisk which has the image of Ran. During the show a few characters say the only reason Lux exists is to mine Rafia and the Rafia mine is represented with the big Obilisk on top of it. Towards the end of the show, Rafia runs out and we find out that the underground world is an endless cycle of rafia running out > people dying > dead people turn into rafia. So since Ran is a metaphor for society/the city (she talks to Oonishi as the voice of the city and also see my post a few posts up) and the Obilisk is a metaphor for the city (representing the city's reason for existence), this explains that scene because Rafia running out = city dying = ran dying and everyone can agree that if a city gets to a point where their leader is killed by a gang of homeless people, the city is clearly dead.

Also I believe since Kano was aware of the above world, I believe he is also aware of the endless cycle of dead people and rafia and his purpose of the shapes was to leave them there as a signal for the next generation of people to hopefully stop them from continuing the same mistakes. This is also obvious in the scene where he acts nonchalant when finding out the shapes are getting gangrene and are becoming unable to function. It simply doesn't matter to him they just have to survive until the next generation. He was clearly crazy though but he does have reasons for his actions. This is a strong point in Texnolyse in that no character does anything for no reason. That is a big part in Yoshi's character and it is the main thing that comes together the second time you watch it.
Feb 23, 2018 8:27 AM

May 2015
fieldsgrow1 said:
A scene that I don't really see people talking about is the scene where Oonishi stabs the Obilisk which has the image of Ran. During the show a few characters say the only reason Lux exists is to mine Rafia and the Rafia mine is represented with the big Obilisk on top of it. Towards the end of the show, Rafia runs out and we find out that the underground world is an endless cycle of rafia running out > people dying > dead people turn into rafia. So since Ran is a metaphor for society/the city (she talks to Oonishi as the voice of the city and also see my post a few posts up) and the Obilisk is a metaphor for the city (representing the city's reason for existence), this explains that scene because Rafia running out = city dying = ran dying and everyone can agree that if a city gets to a point where their leader is killed by a gang of homeless people, the city is clearly dead.

Also I believe since Kano was aware of the above world, I believe he is also aware of the endless cycle of dead people and rafia and his purpose of the shapes was to leave them there as a signal for the next generation of people to hopefully stop them from continuing the same mistakes. This is also obvious in the scene where he acts nonchalant when finding out the shapes are getting gangrene and are becoming unable to function. It simply doesn't matter to him they just have to survive until the next generation. He was clearly crazy though but he does have reasons for his actions. This is a strong point in Texnolyse in that no character does anything for no reason. That is a big part in Yoshi's character and it is the main thing that comes together the second time you watch it.
Very interesting hypothesis, I hadn't pushed my reflection so far and yet it's true that it made sense !
Apr 29, 2018 12:35 PM

Jan 2017
The 'Music but music' album featured mostly unused tracks and different arranges in the series.

The alternative track is called 'to the end of the world'.

Original:

Alternative:

And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Aug 30, 2018 5:27 AM

Jan 2014
Finished this a few days ago, and still I constantly think about the last 4 episodes, which were masterpieces.
Especially I can't get over my head the sequence where Ichise walks towards the theatre and has that little monologue. The words he speaks aren't the deepest thing ever, but because HE voices them they get a wholesome and impactful meaning...
Plus that piano piece renders the whole thing very sad yet a bit heartwarming.

And the still shot of the shapes rooted to the ground was very artistic.
All in all a great ending.
Oct 1, 2018 6:01 PM

Oct 2016
I get what this show was trying accomplish, and I may even come back and write more on this after I've had time to reflect. But this show, for all of its artistic qualities, genius atmospheric work, and worldbuilding, I still feel like it's not good, maybe a 6/10.

This show is an enigma, because I don't know how to talk about everything that happened. On a personal level I hate it and from a film critiquing angle, I also dislike it.
Nov 1, 2018 6:55 PM

Oct 2012
oh god those texhnolyzed guys just standing around for eternity... that's fucked up. This entire series was like a descent into hell. I don't know if I liked it as much as Lain but I liked it a lot. More than Ghost in the Shell for sure.
Nov 29, 2018 3:52 AM

May 2015
I really wanted to like this anime, the 1st episode was a masterpiece as well as 19th, but everything else wasn't all that enjoyable to watch. I guess it failed to capture my interest on a personal level and I found it hard to connect to any of the characters or issues. The ending was fitting, didn't expect it to end happily from the start, but overall everything feels almost pointless. 7/10
Dec 10, 2018 7:00 AM

Nov 2017
Wow... simply a masterpiece. this is definitely on my favorites now. Probably one of the most underrated anime ever.
Jan 20, 2019 3:22 AM
Dec 2014
Cyamone said:
I cried...a lot!
That's all I can say... (.__.)

True, this was depressing. In a good way. Note to self: when see cute girl with demon mask and beautiful eyes run away.

And this show has one of the best OP I ever saw.
Jan 26, 2019 4:42 PM

May 2013
I guess they're actually in the 9th circle of hell? I know the doc couldn't have kids, and it seemed the class were continuing to live by breeding with dolls with their own mother's dna. They were sent down for impure genes, so maybe it's that they all had a mutation that was spreading through humanity, which would eventually sterilize them? That's why they were sent underground? I'm not totally sure i understand how many times the ppl's eyes changed - was the last time it was dark the same time they all got there? Then their eyes changed again when they finally got light, and this is the next change, though it's from humans to shapes. Maybe kano did what he did to continue living, just like everyone else? Maybe the seer was the only person he could breed with? In the end, he did evolve the ppl like he said - if they couldn't breed, this seems like the only way they could not die out as a species. But they ended up exactly like the ppl above ground in the end. Though the doc def made the right decision. Maybe above ground is hell for ppl who sucked just a little less? Or maybe Earth was hell all along, for all of us, with us using classes and technology and money and power and weapons to inflict different levels of hell on ourselves based on the worth we collectively ascribe to ourselves and each other.

Idk, i guess there probably isn't a correct answer, huh?
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
May 6, 2019 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
This is hidden gem of all time. Profound ending.
May 21, 2019 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
The beginning scenes are quite accurate to what is happening in my country's capital city on this day. I revisit this thread just to put my mark for this day right now.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.