Forum Settings
Forums

Madhouse To Remake Hunter x Hunter Anime with New Staff and Cast [Update Aug 3]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2011 1:09 PM

Apr 2010
justaddlemon said:
RyokoAyekaLover said:

...the Kanon's are practically viewed as 2 different series so can't really compare that...

But that's what I'm trying to say. Hunter x Hunter 1999 and Hunter x Hunter 2011 will be two different beasts. Same source material, different execution. Which is why I don't think a new series is any reason to ignore the original. One doesn't make the other redundant.

The old series is good, so watch it. If the new series is good, then watch that too. If it's good then it's not a waste of time.

But if I watch the old series, then the new one will have less impact with the story since I'll know what happens already. same reason I don't read long running manga.. wheres the fun in knowing the story before you see it on the anime?

Aug 1, 2011 1:11 PM

Jul 2008
justaddlemon said:
RyokoAyekaLover said:

...the Kanon's are practically viewed as 2 different series so can't really compare that...

But that's what I'm trying to say. Hunter x Hunter 1999 and Hunter x Hunter 2011 will be two different beasts. Same source material, different execution. Which is why I don't think a new series is any reason to ignore the original. One doesn't make the other redundant.

The old series is good, so watch it. If the new series is good, then watch that too. If it's good then it's not a waste of time.

but its not. this is more like comparing Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alkchemist Brotherhood(if they weren't fast forwarding the early stuff) not the Kanon's so it does make it redundant since full material> non completed. as well as what RyanSaotome just said..would defeat the point..if one watches them with years in between that would be one thing but 2 months is pathetic
Aug 1, 2011 1:19 PM

Jul 2008
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
But if I watch the old series, then the new one will have less impact with the story since I'll know what happens already.

Exactly. Yes, they're different productions, but the broad outlines - and likely the detailed particulars - will be the same. Those who die will probably still die. The people with hidden identities will still be the same people. The major plot arcs will still start and end the same way and be in the same order.

So with a new anime mere months away, why go run off to watch 90+ episodes of the original and render any hope of surprise and enjoyable speculation impossible?

Besides, a lot of us have trouble just finding time to watch all the currently airing anime we're interested in. With school or jobs or other responsibilities, it's just honestly difficult to fit ~100 extra episodes of anime into a schedule.

thats what i said all the way at the start -_-..what i said "it is good but i can understand where they are coming from. no reason in watching the older one now so they can view the same exact thing in a couple months"..why justaddlemon has been giving me a headache lol
RyokoAyekaLoverAug 1, 2011 1:23 PM
Aug 1, 2011 1:21 PM

Jan 2010
Aw yeah, won't have to watch the old series.
Aug 1, 2011 1:32 PM
Apr 2011
Now I don't have to watch the old series, hope they make it gory like the manga this time...
Aug 1, 2011 1:46 PM
Jul 2008
fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Well, I guess I might watch it anyway. Sigh.
Aug 1, 2011 2:42 PM

Jun 2009
did title say "MADHOUSE"
damn it, I wisI were wrong to spell it...
Aug 1, 2011 2:51 PM

Apr 2011
That would be interesting for people like me, when I first saw the first season I was still not even in my teens. I can barely remember much other than it was fun and so it would be interesting to watch it seriously. I hope it covers most of the story and not to be some lame adaptation of like 13 episodes.

Now I can understand why older fans hate the idea of a remake. A bright side of this is it could make more fans if it as good as the old one.
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Aug 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Dec 2008
rarri said:
If it's a remake and not a sequel, now I don't have to watch the original.

Madhouse haven't done a good anime in years in my opinion, it's about time they get on track.

Also, I heard the manga has alot of hiatuses, I hope the manga author stops with that in order to have more material to adapt, and then ofcourse there will be some fillers.

I was just coming here to say "Now I don't have to watch the original". LOL. I mean it might be a remake but it might be like FMA where it continues further than where the original ended.
Aug 1, 2011 2:56 PM
Apr 2008
jmal said:

... You assume they're only interested in it because it's popular, not because, I dunno, they might just think it's something they'll enjoy...

The decision to squeeze 90+ episodes into a 2 month viewing schedule is one made to keep up with the now. What pushed people to that decision was the new series, not their expected enjoyment from watching the original. If a sequel were never announced then there wouldn't have been that urgency, hence: "People don't care about the anime they're gonna watch, they care about its popularity only." (though that's an extreme take on the matter, I think)

RyanSaotome said:

...wheres the fun in knowing the story before you see it on the anime?

So I don't really know how to verbalize this. It's like, then why do people rewatch or revisit anything? There are elements besides the surprise factor.

jmal said:

...why go run off to watch 90+ episodes of the original and render any hope of surprise and enjoyable speculation impossible?

Assuming the two follow the same beats, then the original should harbor the same surprise and chance for speculation with the added option to answer that speculation at one's own pace.

I get that because it is new there is that attraction of community interaction. But I am indignant that that means sidestepping the old. The old is still great, that hasn't changed.

Is there any confirmation on this adaptation following the manga to its end?
Aug 1, 2011 2:58 PM

May 2010
Happy and sad at the same time. I think the old one is good enough. Oh well, gonna watch it anyways.

I hope the new casts are as better as the previous ones (I miss Yuki Kaida and the debate over Kurapika's gender ha ha ha).
Aug 1, 2011 3:09 PM

Jul 2011
REMAKE?!! shit i knew it was too good to be true when i heard they'll make a sequel of hunter x hunter...
i'm pissed!!! no.. i'm LIVID!!
roarrrrr now i'm sure i wont ever get to see leorio and kurapica married :(
Aug 1, 2011 3:27 PM

Apr 2010
millo said:
REMAKE?!! shit i knew it was too good to be true when i heard they'll make a sequel of hunter x hunter...

Nothing is saying it won't do the later arcs. If anything, I'd say theres a much better chance they will then they won't. Its being remade since its a new studio doing it since the original studio is apparently no longer around. And when dealing with a 10-12 year old anime aimed at teens, the majority of the people it is aimed at won't know the story to begin with, so just starting in the middle isn't a very viable business strategy.

Aug 1, 2011 3:34 PM

Jul 2010
i thought it will be a sequel and had planned to start first season again but then i read a manga reader comment on LJ and dropped my plan, unless manga get proper continuation or ending. otherwise it's waste of time.
Aug 1, 2011 3:56 PM

Aug 2010
wow, it's been a while since I seen HxH. I don't know what to say about this
Takahiro Sakurai = <3
Aug 1, 2011 4:07 PM

Nov 2006
i'm excited to see happy smiling kurapica in glorious 720p.
luckily it's been a few years since i've seen the original so i don't remember their voices too well.
Aug 1, 2011 4:22 PM

Sep 2010
HxH with Madhouse?
Enough stuff and of course i'll be looking for this ;D
Aug 1, 2011 4:31 PM

Aug 2007
RyanSaotome said:
millo said:

Nothing is saying it won't do the later arcs. If anything, I'd say theres a much better chance they will then they won't. Its being remade since its a new studio doing it since the original studio is apparently no longer around. And when dealing with a 10-12 year old anime aimed at teens, the majority of the people it is aimed at won't know the story to begin with, so just starting in the middle isn't a very viable business strategy.

Also not good to start in the beginning. DB Kai ended prematurely, since nothing was selling even though the ratings were a success. Sure starting in the beginning can help maybe newcomers out,, but there is just as much risk of starting in the middle. Though that's how I seen things. :P

True there is nothing to say that, but knowing Togashi history and somewhat Madhouse's history. I just don't see it happening. Unless Togashi finally decided to end the Chimera Ant arc when the manga comes back next week. (An arc been ongoing for 100 chapters strong) Also add in the fact that Togashi is dub the King of hiatus and usually releases 10-20 chapters and takes another year or more hiatus before he comes back. It seems unlikely the TV series will even bother to release the arc. They more likely will only go up to the OVA's left off.

As for Madhouse. For all the 4 shonen shows Madhouse has done thus far. Hajime No Ippo, Neuro, Claymore and Death Note. All word of mouth has shown they never show filler and when it comes to following the manga they just alter scenes and give us recaps. (Only seen two of 4 and can't vouch for HnI and Neuro) I just don't see this anime being a never ending shonen like the big three so far. I guess there is hope that Madhouse will do a similar thing to Black Lagoon and make OVA's but with how frequent these hiatus's are you might as well call me a pessimistic cause I have so much doubt right now. >.>
Aug 1, 2011 4:38 PM
Dec 2008
I was pretty damn excited for a sequel but this just ruined my day a bit. Its a tragedy for me because I've seen the original series/OVAs so many times that it'll be almost impossible to stop comparing all the time and different voices will just feel so wrong :/
Aug 1, 2011 5:06 PM

May 2010
not really impressed with the staff, have a bad feeling about this
Aug 1, 2011 5:07 PM

Aug 2010
I actually like this, HxH in HD FUCK YEAH =) both would've been great tho~

+Madhouse? really? best studio ever
ShimaMindAug 1, 2011 6:28 PM
Aug 1, 2011 5:17 PM

Jul 2009
would've been better if they made a sequel though and the cast from the first , season and the OVA's 1, 2 and 3 of hunter x hunter are really good in my opinion (i wouldn't be satisfied with a different voiced hisoka and kurapika and leoreo ww!) , >_< True that the first season got a bad quality now but the OVA 1, 2, 3 are still good though. If they added a sequel would be nice seeing the Spider's gang VS the Ants :) Manga is on hiatus though last time i read it.
T-K-x_Aug 1, 2011 5:22 PM
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Aug 1, 2011 5:21 PM
Apr 2009
Hmmm...I have mixed feelings. I have the urge to watch both old and new. Let me tell you why I'll start with the old.

1) I'm a guy in my mid 20's in university right now. I would much rather watch the past material than wait every week for a new episode considering how long shounen anime tend to be.

2) I'll watch the new one afterwards IF there are some differences in the story (even if they're minor). New art sounds cool, though. Heck, 2 of my fav anime are made by Madhouse (Tenjou Tenge and Black Lagoon). Anyhow, if there is new material where the manga left off, then I'll watch it. I'll train my ears for both the old and new voice cast.

If anything, I'd say this is similar to Dragonball Z Kai and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 'cept having the original voice cast.
Aug 1, 2011 5:25 PM
Apr 2009
Oh yeah forgot to mention that maybe the remake will give Togashi the incentive needed to finish his manga.
Aug 1, 2011 5:26 PM

Jun 2011
Coolio. So now I don't have to watch the original HxH anime anymore.
Aug 1, 2011 5:39 PM

Nov 2009
Hmmm, but I wish they'd do the chimera ant arc
Aug 1, 2011 5:58 PM

Aug 2010
Pierrot Studios make HxH arcs:

1 - Hunter test
2 - Killua's house
3 - York Shin
4 - York Shin final
5 - Greed Island
6 - Greed Island Final

Only saga missing is Chimera Ants! Because of many hiatus of manga!

So Why?
Everybody knows Pierrot waiting the conclusion of Ants saga in manga for a new OVA series!

I dont understand!

A lot of a old Tv animes need a better remake! Like Urusei Yatsura, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, Fist of North Star, Sailor Moon, Rosario+Vampire etc. But HxH anime is perfect!
Cyber_RyogaAug 2, 2011 9:12 AM
Aug 1, 2011 6:06 PM
Oct 2010
as probably one of the older HxH fans, I find this pretty disappointing. There are some things in the original that could have been done a little better, or left out, or fixed, but the likelihood of getting all the way through the older series, then doing the ant arc and doing it well (maybe leaving a lot of junk from the manga out) seems low imo.
Aug 1, 2011 6:59 PM

Jun 2010
really? and I thought the old one is very good? Oh well, I just hope that this one will be good
Aug 1, 2011 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
gah and i was just thinking to resume watching the original...i've got mixed feelings now XP
Aug 1, 2011 7:03 PM

Sep 2010
A remake is still good.
Aug 1, 2011 7:06 PM

Oct 2009
I was afraid that it might be a sequel, because that would have killed all interest for me. Considering factors such as chances of commercial success and age there really was no point of a sequel. To bring in new in new fans and still entertain old fans, a remake was the only way to go. Many of us will not break our "busy anime schedule" to watch the original HxH (a long, old series mind you) just to catch up with the new anime. There are too many other anime to watch. Plus, taking our real lives into account as another person stated, there is just no time for some of us to watch a series that we only had a passing interest or no internet in before the announcement of a reboot. A sequel would not garner any new fans and relies too much on familiarity of a decade old product. The kids of today and just some random otaku who have not watched the series would not understand whats going on, thus losing a lot possible consumers.

Responding to DivineTrinity; people (new potential fans) are NOT watching it because it will be popular. Some of us may have had an interest before but again HxH was just not high priority. A reboot revitalizes interest whether you like it or not. With its existence there is no reason to watch the original. Unless this upcoming remake turns out to be pure crap or you're just interested in how the original was. It's the same content. Why should I watch a badly aged (animation wise) series when there is a new glossy series coming out very soon?

I really hope this turns out well as I'm not too impressed with the production team. MADHOUSE is too inconsistent (animation and overall quality-wise) and well, its a shonen. Hopefully, its as good as the fans say it is. As long as its not unnecessarily long, keep some consistency in the animation, and get through the already covered material at a brisk pace then I'll be happy. (And I'm guessing many others would be happy as well.)
KrazyKobunAug 1, 2011 7:09 PM
Aug 1, 2011 7:35 PM
Jun 2008
so there going to reboot/restart all over again?

oh well got it be doing for new generation to watch.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Aug 1, 2011 7:43 PM

Nov 2007
I guess that saves me from rewatching the whole thing.
Aug 1, 2011 7:59 PM
Sep 2007
I see no reason to change Junko Takeuchi as Gon's seiyuu.

Just few weeks ago she voiced Sabo from One Piece, as well as younger Naruto in flashbacks in Naruto: Shippuuden - both of them being around Gon's age.
Aug 1, 2011 8:02 PM

Aug 2007
KrazyKobun said:

Responding to DivineTrinity; people (new potential fans) are NOT watching it because it will be popular. Some of us may have had an interest before but again HxH was just not high priority. A reboot revitalizes interest whether you like it or not. With its existence there is no reason to watch the original. Unless this upcoming remake turns out to be pure crap or you're just interested in how the original was. It's the same content. Why should I watch a badly aged (animation wise) series when there is a new glossy series coming out very soon?

Are you sure? People started watching Fairy Tail when it aired since it’s popular. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but there are all kinds of fans. If we got the OVA of Chimera Ant arc, there would be fans that have interest in finally watching the old series that aired back then. The same for the reboot, it brings in all types. (If we don't get up to Yorkshin in this new series. The 2011 HxH fans will just go to the manga or watch the OVAs) That is MY point. Doesn’t matter what method they chose to bring it back it WILL garner attention. I believe Lupin III is coming back this fall and I already notice people watching the old stuff. Not sure if it’s a reboot yet, but its announcement seems to have help people get interest in it. Similar to what happen to Rouroni Kenshin which turn out to be a live action I believe and even FMA: Brotherhood. Unless everyone was arguing a reboot makes it just more accessible to newcomers then you got me, but I wasn’t arguing that and I agree with that point there. :P

I have no complaints of this being a reboot now, as a huge HxH fan I can’t wait for it to air. Sure I’ll miss not having Chimera Ant arc, but what peeves me off is how everyone in this thread has this huge confidence that Madhouse will give the same content. If this was studio Pierrot, then I can see the logic behind it they knew what they were doing (Hell I’ll be like Windy and say I can’t wait to see their take on it with 720p) but this is a different studio and they have DIFFERENT agendas and you even agree that Madhouse is inconsistent. That’s my argument there. Not saying not watch the new series, I just don’t see how everyone is so excited when everything we know about so far is a battle of assumptions. :P
Aug 1, 2011 8:11 PM

May 2009
ALRIGHT!!:D But i'm gonna watch the old one first so I can compare and contrast how great the new one will be from the old one!
Aug 1, 2011 8:20 PM

Jun 2009
Honestly.. I was hoping for a sequel, we got around 92 episodes from the first TV series and OVAs so what's the big deal of changing it now and start from the beginning they will make it look like that the previous episodes were irrelevant which is not a good point so the question now... Will this new remake cover the same pace and materials as the old ones? I doubt it because most shounen series nowadays is 25 episodes or so at the very best, we get 52 episodes or so like Beelzebub.

Aug 1, 2011 8:23 PM

Oct 2009
DivineTrinity said:

Are you sure? People started watching Fairy Tail when it aired since it’s popular. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but there are all kinds of fans. If we got the OVA of Chimera Ant arc, there would be fans that have interest in finally watching the old series that aired back then. The same for the reboot, it brings in all types. (If we don't get up to Yorkshin in this new series. The 2011 HxH fans will just go to the manga or watch the OVAs) That is MY point. Doesn’t matter what method they chose to bring it back it WILL garner attention. I believe Lupin III is coming back this fall and I already notice people watching the old stuff. Not sure if it’s a reboot yet, but its announcement seems to have help people get interest in it. Similar to what happen to Rouroni Kenshin which turn out to be a live action I believe and even FMA: Brotherhood. Unless everyone was arguing a reboot makes it just more accessible to newcomers then you got me, but I wasn’t arguing that and I agree with that point there. :P

I have no complaints of this being a reboot now, as a huge HxH fan I can’t wait for it to air. Sure I’ll miss not having Chimera Ant arc, but what peeves me off is how everyone in this thread has this huge confidence that Madhouse will give the same content. If this was studio Pierrot, then I can see the logic behind it they knew what they were doing (Hell I’ll be like Windy and say I can’t wait to see their take on it with 720p) but this is a different studio and they have DIFFERENT agendas and you even agree that Madhouse is inconsistent. That’s my argument there. Not saying not watch the new series, I just don’t see how everyone is so excited when everything we know about so far is a battle of assumptions. :P

I remember watching Fairy Tail because I liked the premise, I wasn't aware of its popularity at the time... That statement is a bit to broad. Popularity does pique interest, but its rarely a main reason to watch something.

Yes, there would be some people who would go back and check out the previous works, but not many is willing to make that commitment. A continued OVA of a single story arc is proving that the creators are saying "This anime is for previous fans only!".

I am aware of the Lupin III reboot as well, but unlike HxH the canon is so loose in it, that you really don't need to watch the old series to view the OVA's, movies, or heck even read the manga. It seems more like character driven franchise if that makes sense, like classic Disney cartoons and The Looney Tunes. Nothing wrong with watching any of the older iterations though.

I would have NEVER considered watching the upcoming reboot if it was going to be done by Studio Pierrot. I have several problems with that studio. I can at least say Madhouse is more competent than them.

I doubt the story will be changed in a noticeable degree. Maybe updated for the current times, but nothing too drastic, to the point where its a different series with the same title.
Aug 1, 2011 8:28 PM

Feb 2009
WOW I have mix feelings toward this. I totally understand that a remake would be a better strategy, but I don't fully trust Madhouse, another studio would have been better or another series. I highly doubt Madhouse will top and make better the first 4 arcs (Hunter test, Killua's house, York Shin and York Shin final) that where on the first anime. The first anime had an amazing score/OST, great seiyus, top notch animation/art and one of the greatest openings that I have ever heard in anime, the 2nd opening.

BTW the really bad news that most have ignored is that the director of this remake will be Kohjina Hiroshi, the one behind the fiasco known as "Kiba". The director of one of the worst anime TV series of all time will direct the remake of HxH? mmm... Not a great start from Madhouse and I sure don't feel excited about all this, and I am a pretty hardcore fan of this series. I will have low expectations for this remake.
Aug 1, 2011 8:31 PM

Oct 2008
I was hoping for a sequel but this is still good as far as I'm concerned. This way we should get it in HD and I don't see any reason why they won't continue the story on from where the last OVA ended. It's been ages since I watched the original anime and I've never read the manga so it'll be a nice refresher.

The only thing I'm really dissapointed in is the fact that they're changing the seiyuus. Hisoka just won't be the same. :(
Aug 1, 2011 9:05 PM

Apr 2010
Why are people just assuming this won't have the Ant Arc? All it says is that its remaking it from the beginning. Never says anything about it remaking only what the previous season (which neither Madhouse nor Nihon TV have anything to do with) covered. Think of it as like original Kanon and Kanon 2006 in that they have nothing to do with each other outside of the source material
RyanSaotomeAug 2, 2011 1:08 AM

Aug 1, 2011 9:11 PM

Jun 2010
Madhouse is handling this......ladies and gentlemen I smell WIN!!!!!
Aug 1, 2011 9:37 PM
Jul 2010
YES! Remake!
Ive been wanting to start Hunter x Hunter but it just looked so... old school that i didnt really bother.
Aug 1, 2011 10:08 PM

Jul 2010
A remake? I was hoping it would continue the anime version where it left off but I have no idea where it stopped in the manga version.
Oh well. At least I get to see how Hunter x Hunter would look like in digital coloring.
Aug 1, 2011 10:11 PM

Jul 2010
YES now I don't have to watch the old series! WIN!
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Aug 1, 2011 11:27 PM

Jan 2011
well this news comes as a bit of a surprise, but yeah, i hope they just remake and then take it past where the original series stopped in the story. and please i hope they keep hisoka's and gon's voice actors............. i <3 hisoka!!!

Aug 2, 2011 12:11 AM

Jul 2010
so finally i can catch-up episodes that i missed long time ago instead of re-watch the whole old series
Aug 2, 2011 12:16 AM

Jul 2007
I dont get it, there is plenty of material to just continue. But i guess it will be interesting to see new artwork/voice actors.
Aug 2, 2011 12:25 AM

Feb 2008
jmal said:

I mean, seriously, a good chunk of the target audience for this remake wasn't even alive when the original anime started!

Lol @ "It's a shounen, so obviously only kids/teens will watch it."
One Piece would like to have a word with you.

Btw, why is everyone just wanting the Chimera Arc animated? The thing isn't even finished in the manga. And if Togashi keeps being the lazy ass he is, there's a really good chance the anime will have either a shit open ending (like the GIF OVA did) or a filler ending (like MAD did with Claymore).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
4 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.