Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2011 6:24 AM
Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pep talk always helps, must be hard for Apocalymon carring all that grief
Aug 13, 2013 2:08 PM

Feb 2011
If there were previous Chosen Children, who were they? It sounds like it was long ago.

I do feel sorry for the Digimon who disappeared, I mean they had no one else to blame, but hurting others who didn't even know because of that...

I'm glad the digimon were able to get everyone's spirits back up.

It's weird hearing a slow version of the background song. :o

I'm definitely rewatching Digimon Adventure in the future, maybe after I finish the other Digimon series? Only without subs this time.

All is one, one is all?

Only one episode left to defeat Apocalymon and return home!
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 9, 2014 8:43 PM

Dec 2012
Simply one of the most well done episodes in anime I have ever watched. The symbolism and themes in this episode are highlighted once more, and it shows how much the children and the Digimon have grown throughout the past 52 episodes. It was a powerful, emotional episode even for an 18 year old like me, I still can't believe this is really a children's show bar the childishness in earlier episodes. Really looking forward to the finale.
Apr 10, 2014 12:29 PM
Mar 2013
Wow this was a great final villain. I can't believe he managed to delete (kill) the digi-destined. Honestly I didn't remember the final episodes that much.

I believe it's because most of the concepts flew over my head since I was so young when I watched it. Now that I'm re-watching I can understand the ending episodes a bit more and realize how far the digi-destined have come.
Jul 10, 2014 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
Apocalymon turns out to be a lame villain just like these "surprise I'm the real final boss" villains always are. He's given a backstory that should make him a believable antagonist the viewer has sympathy for, where the viewer could relate to him and feel sorrow for his endless grief and torment. Instead, he's just portrayed as a typical 100% pure evil villain like they always are, and that just ruins him. Part of it is the voice acting; his voice acting (in the dub, anyway) makes him sound entirely sinister. Plus, some of his lines were nauseating. Piedmon was way cooler for sure. In fact, all of the dark masters were, TBH.

I'm not "feeling" the "emotion" in this series like other people supposedly are. I think it might be partially due to the dub, but I doubt that's entirely it. I just think the characters' growth could be portrayed in a more believable and less cheesy way. And some of it truly is unbelievably cheesy, and that pretty much ruins the emotional power it could have.

Overall, pretty mehish episode.
ZadionJul 10, 2014 2:40 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 7, 2014 11:15 PM

Jul 2013
Even as a child I didn't think that a last "boss" like Apocalymon was really necessary, however this was a good opportunity to wrap up the series and show the characters' growth in the past 52 episodes.

I neither loved nor hated Apocalymon as a villain. I liked that he had a reason to be evil, which is quite mature for a kids show
Feb 17, 2015 7:51 AM
Jun 2012
Zadion said:
I think it might be partially due to the dub, but I doubt that's entirely it.

You have no idea how much the dub ruined Digimon.
Jun 19, 2015 9:10 AM

Mar 2015
Great, now I want pizza. Thanks a lot apocalymon.

2nd half of this ep was just recaps and evolutions

"The original digidestined". Sounds like theyre setting us up for a prequel.
Dec 11, 2015 2:48 PM

Jul 2011
ClawViper said:
Simply one of the most well done episodes in anime I have ever watched. The symbolism and themes in this episode are highlighted once more, and it shows how much the children and the Digimon have grown throughout the past 52 episodes. It was a powerful, emotional episode even for an 18 year old like me, I still can't believe this is really a children's show bar the childishness in earlier episodes. Really looking forward to the finale.

The slow song got me crying. T__T

All for one, one for all!
Jun 18, 2016 5:10 PM

Feb 2013
Apocalymon is the last enemy.
Apr 7, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2017
I really like the idea behind Apocalymon. Far from being just evil and that's it, his reason to exist was clearly explained with a little bit of simplified evolution theory. Great!

Even with the ideas set, i think that Apocalymon could have been positive to the Digimon world, had he had a chance. But he didn't, because things work this way, so the digimon he represents have died throughout evolution, and probably the dead digimon got to keep on watching living digimons from that dark "cloud" site, and getting angrier with time as they couldn't get there. Sad!
--------
Aug 16, 2018 10:19 AM
Mar 2018
A candidate for the best episode of the entire show. It was one of the very most intense, and the whole thing, from getting trapped in the black void to getting turned into data (!!!!) was really cool throughout.
Feb 4, 2019 7:13 PM

Apr 2009
Zadion said:
Apocalymon turns out to be a lame villain just like these "surprise I'm the real final boss" villains always are. He's given a backstory that should make him a believable antagonist the viewer has sympathy for, where the viewer could relate to him and feel sorrow for his endless grief and torment. Instead, he's just portrayed as a typical 100% pure evil villain like they always are, and that just ruins him.

That's because you're watching the dub version. In the original, Apocalymon is much more developed.

In the original, a large reason Apocalymon is resentful is that the Digimon who make him up also desired to be a part of the world, being helpful and partaking in love, friendship, and justice, but were deprived of that and consigned to pain. Thus, his goal is to rule the world so that it’ll be to his liking.

In the dub, he wants to rule the world and plunge it into darkness to end his misery.

In the original, Apocalymon mentions that now that he’s destroyed the Crests, the Chosen Children’s Digimon will know the despair of being unable to evolve.

In the original, Apocalymon claws at himself, exposing green blood underneath; Mimi is distressed and doesn’t even want to look at it. (The wounds later heal, and Koushirou deduces that he has self-regenerative abilities.)

In the dub, the shots are censored, and so Mimi’s looking away because she doesn’t like Apocalymon’s bad metaphors.

In the original, when Koushirou talks about how species disappear during the evolution process even on earth, he refers to it as “inevitable” - this is what pisses Apocalymon off, since to him it means Apocalymon is effectively a mistake. Koushirou says that it’s not what he was implying, and Apocalymon goes on to say that he was created from the anger and regret of the Digimon who failed to evolve.

In the dub, Apocalymon gets pissed off at Izzy describing extinct species for too long, since he wants to be the one to tell the story. Apocalymon asks if it’s possible for him to coexist with the others, and Izzy says that it’s possible; Apocalymon asks if it’s so even if he was made up of the pain of all the Digimon who failed to digivolve, and Sora expresses pity for him.
Feb 5, 2019 4:18 AM

Oct 2013
Renato said:

That's because you're watching the dub version. In the original, Apocalymon is much more developed.

In the original, a large reason Apocalymon is resentful is that the Digimon who make him up also desired to be a part of the world, being helpful and partaking in love, friendship, and justice, but were deprived of that and consigned to pain. Thus, his goal is to rule the world so that it’ll be to his liking.

In the dub, he wants to rule the world and plunge it into darkness to end his misery.

In the original, Apocalymon mentions that now that he’s destroyed the Crests, the Chosen Children’s Digimon will know the despair of being unable to evolve.

In the original, Apocalymon claws at himself, exposing green blood underneath; Mimi is distressed and doesn’t even want to look at it. (The wounds later heal, and Koushirou deduces that he has self-regenerative abilities.)

In the dub, the shots are censored, and so Mimi’s looking away because she doesn’t like Apocalymon’s bad metaphors.

In the original, when Koushirou talks about how species disappear during the evolution process even on earth, he refers to it as “inevitable” - this is what pisses Apocalymon off, since to him it means Apocalymon is effectively a mistake. Koushirou says that it’s not what he was implying, and Apocalymon goes on to say that he was created from the anger and regret of the Digimon who failed to evolve.

In the dub, Apocalymon gets pissed off at Izzy describing extinct species for too long, since he wants to be the one to tell the story. Apocalymon asks if it’s possible for him to coexist with the others, and Izzy says that it’s possible; Apocalymon asks if it’s so even if he was made up of the pain of all the Digimon who failed to digivolve, and Sora expresses pity for him.

So basically, as has been confirmed, I made a mistake by electing to watch the dub for the sake of childhood nostalgia, lol.

Well, it is what it is; nearly 5 years later I hardly remember the series anyway, just the feeling I didn't love the show a fraction as much revisiting it as an adult as I did as a child. I'd always meant to continue the Digimon series from here. I guess if I ever do I'll move forward subbed instead.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 30, 2020 4:40 PM

May 2008
Huh. First time this season didn't spoil the digimon's name in the episode title. Who's the guy who had sense and why didn't they use them earlier?

They forgot to color the digivices for Koushiro, Takeru and Jyou in multiple scenes. Whoops?

I like that Apocalymon uses 'we'; they're not a single individual but a group made into one. It's a nice touch considering.

Now onto the drama cds before I watch the final.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 10, 2020 11:55 PM
Oct 10, 2020 11:42 PM

Dec 2012
They're falling.
Gennai.
There were Edabareshi kodomo-tachi before them?
Dat voice.
Holy shit! Dat form.
Apocalymon. Ultimate.
Dat narrator. Not verified if its a digimon?
Disappeared through the shinka process?
Dat blast.
Dat green blood.
Dat Ultimate Stream.
Angewomon booty. Angewomon protected Hikari. Dat oppai.
Dat Bloody Stream. Dat Mugen Cannon.
Dat Death Evolution.
They degenerated.
Dat Death Claw.
He destroyed the crests.
They're disappearing.
Dat flashback.
Dat OP insert song. Butter-fly!
Dem flashbacks.
Their crests.
Dat theme. Dat Group Shinka!
They're back.
Dat ending.

What an episode. They defeated the legendary Chikao Ohtsuka (Piemon), just for him to come back in his final form as Apocalymon. I guess me making that final save joke in the last episode actually meant something. lol Dat Butter-fly was beautiful. Kouji Wada slayed. I love that I expected Apocalymon to use "Ware" and he said it. Also, th first Edabareshi kodomo-tachi silhouettes are Taichi, Yamato, etc. lol

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeOct 11, 2020 12:08 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 19, 2021 7:26 PM

Jul 2013
As soon as the Dark Masters were gone, the show went back to being great again lol. Definitely one of the emotional high points of the series.

Apocalymon had a lot more depth than the previous villains. His theme could really be developed into something amazing if he wasn't unfortunately a tagged in final boss for the last 2 episodes. Wish they'd replace Piemon with him tbh.
Feb 20, 2021 3:23 AM

Oct 2009
power of flashback shall prevail !

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.