Forum Settings
Forums

Animal to Human or Human to Animal Transformation/Shapeshifting Anime?

New
May 11, 2011 9:02 PM

Oct 2009
I'm looking for anime where shapeshifing between human and animal forms plays a big role.

Some examples of this that I enjoyed in the past were:

Pom Poko(raccoon dogs shapeshift into humans to save their forest.)

Wolf's Rain(Wolves shapeshift into humans to make people think they are extinct so they don't get hunted.)

Fruits Basket(The main family is cursed to turn into animals of the Chinese Zodiac.)

Juuni Kokuki(The kirin who choose a ruler for a kingdom take human form to be advisor to their rulers and horse form to be a mount in battle for their rulers. There was also the rat dude Rakushun(sp?) who switched between rat and human forms alot.)

The Cat Returns(a girl starts to turn into a cat when she gets stuck in a world made up entirely of cats.)

Nyan Koi!(a boy is cursed to turn into a cat if he doesn't do enough good deeds after he accidentally breaks a cat god shrine.)

Catnappedd!(Similiar to The Cat Returns. A boy and a girl start to turn into cats when they go to a world made entirely up of cats.)

Examples I already have on my Plan-to-watch list but haven't gotten around to yet:

Princess Tutu(apparently about a duck who disguises herself as a human)

Cheonnyeon-yeowoo Yeowoobi aka Yobi the Fivetailed Fox(a fox who shapeshifts into a young girl and falls in love with a human boy apparently)

Porco Rosso(human pilot who was cursed and turned into a pig is the main character.)

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (a human was turned into a ferret is a sidekick of the main character it seems.)

Ranma ½ (a human who turns into a panda whenever splashed with cold water I think.)

Wagaya no Oinari-sama(a fox spirit who can switch from human and gaint fox forms).

And before anybody suggests it, I have already seen Spice and Wolf and I know it had shapeshifting in it because Holo could change from a girl with wolf ears and tail into a full gaint wolf form,but the anime centered more around economics than the shapeshifting element.

Also, it's not required,but I'd be extra grateful to anyone who besides just giving me the name of an anime, also gives me a short description on how shapeshifting plays a role in it and what kind of animals are shapeshifting and/or what kind of animals humans shapeshift into?
caninesrockMay 11, 2011 9:06 PM
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
May 12, 2011 12:49 AM

Jun 2009
watch Ranma12 , the perfect comedy i say . you must see it
+ Porco Rosso , one of ghibli's best movies =]

Added : Gake no Ue no Ponyo ( a girl turn into a fish ? or something like that , anyway it's great so watch it )
May 12, 2011 4:22 AM

May 2009
Dinobots.
May 12, 2011 8:45 AM

Oct 2009
bergil said:
Dinobots.
I searched Dinobots and I can't find it in the database. Is that anime or an american tv show?

@Blue-Rei: Thanks. Yeah. I forgot about Ponyo. I might check that one out too.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
May 12, 2011 8:52 AM

Oct 2009
galimx said:
Spice and Wolf
Kanokon

I've already seen Spice and Wolf,but thanks for the suggestion of Kanokon. I'll look into it. ^^
May 12, 2011 9:19 AM

Mar 2009
You got me. You've seen pretty much everything I was going to suggest but I'll think on it some more. Oh, Dragonaught. I've only seen a few episodes because I keep setting it aside for other things but there is a character that shifts between a dragon-like form and human.

Ponyo is delightful, by the way.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 12, 2011 9:25 AM

Feb 2009
Air TV ~ I can't really say it because it would pretty much spoil the entire series, but a main character is turned into an animal and it's a big plot point.

Clannad ~ Now, this point comes up in Clannad After Story, but it is involved in one of the arcs.

Dragon Crisis ~ Well, the main girl is technically a dragon and there are some other characters that are part animal/can turn into animals.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ~ This actually takes more of a realistic view of how this would work (Or at least, as realistic as it could get...) and while there is some of it in the original FMA series, there's more on it here.

Inukami ~ The main girl is a dog deity or something like that... Ecchi series.

Kanon 2006 ~ A major plot point in one of the arcs.

07-Ghost ~ Another spoiler if I say what it is here, but it happens.
May 12, 2011 9:34 AM

Dec 2008
Ranma 1/2 definitely has some of the changes you're looking for. Granted, the main character, Ranma, transforms from a boy to a girl and back and forth, but most of the other characters change into animals, and yes, there are points where it centers around them. So I would definitely suggest that to you.

Princess Tutu is with Duck/Ahiru, who struggles with her life as a human girl while knowing deep down, she's really just a duck. Bittersweet ending, but is definitely amazing. So yes, see that too.

Otherwise you've seen and listed a lot of what I would have suggested. The only one I can come up with on my own was Akazukin Chacha, which I only started very recently, and while the wolf boy Riiya is one of the main characters, as far as I can tell, it doesn't necessarily center on his human to animal form like the aforementioned series do. It's mostly a cute, fun comedy with magicians. It's still adorable, though, and Riiya is definitely snuggled a lot for being so cute.
May 12, 2011 9:42 AM

Oct 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check into them. ^^
May 12, 2011 11:19 AM

Mar 2009
Kipcha said:
Air TV ~ I can't really say it because it would pretty much spoil the entire series, but a main character is turned into an animal and it's a big plot point.

Clannad ~ Now, this point comes up in Clannad After Story, but it is involved in one of the arcs.

Dragon Crisis ~ Well, the main girl is technically a dragon and there are some other characters that are part animal/can turn into animals.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ~ This actually takes more of a realistic view of how this would work (Or at least, as realistic as it could get...) and while there is some of it in the original FMA series, there's more on it here.

Yep. Good suggestions, all.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
May 17, 2011 2:39 PM

Oct 2009
lisnoire said:
Kipcha said:

Yep. Good suggestions, all.

I saw a free preview of the first episode of Clannad After Story and it just seemed like an anime about baseball to me. I didn't see any animal invovlement or fantasy elements in it. Am I missing something? Is the animal in it much?
May 17, 2011 3:18 PM

Jun 2009
@ caninesrock

LOL..thanks for giving me a good laugh. Clannad isn't about baseball at all and, even though the animal people bring up isn't in the show all that much, it is VERY much a fanasy show.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 17, 2011 3:23 PM

May 2010
Does Kampfer count?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 17, 2011 6:27 PM

Oct 2009
insan3soldiern said:
@ caninesrock

LOL..thanks for giving me a good laugh. Clannad isn't about baseball at all and, even though the animal people bring up isn't in the show all that much, it is VERY much a fanasy show.

Well, the whole first episode of Afterstory was about the guy's dad putting together a baseball team and I didn't see any fantasy elements in the first episode either. The whole episode was a realistic game of baseball.

Confucius said:
Does Kampfer count?

It depends. What's it about?

Edit: Found this info on TVtropes.com. Can anyone tell me if the characters mentioned here play a big role in the series and if the shapeshifting really plays a big role in these series?
•All familiars, and Yuuno, in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.
•Ichigo of Tokyo Mew Mew is a borderline case. The intended effect of her cat genes is the ability to voluntary transform into a Cat Girl; however, as her cat DNA starts to overtake her human DNA, she starts involuntary growing cat ears and tail when excited, and eventually begins to fully transform into a cat. Another recurring character in the show can become a cat voluntary, but only for a limited time.
•Yoruichi in Bleach spends a lot of the series as a cat because she likes to. Most of her transformations to and from human are to mess with other members of the cast (like Ichigo).
•One Piece has the Zoan variety of Devil fruits, which allow the eaters to transform into a certain animal depending on what the fruit is, as well as a half-human hybrid of said animal (and yes, even humans are counted as an "animal"). Most fruits have a certain "model" for animals that are in the same family (EX: Dog Dog fruit, Model Wolf), or different sub-branches like "Awakened" which is more beast then man, "Mythical" like a Phoenix, and "Ancient" like a T-Rex.
◦Notably, many characters often turn out to have eaten the opposite fruit you might intuitively think: You might at first guess think that Tony Tony Chopper was a human that ate a deer fruit, but he's actually a deer that ate a human fruit, and Lassou the Dachshund/gun combo was not in fact a dog that ate a "gun fruit" but a gun that ate a dog fruit.
■There was also a sword that ate an elephant fruit and a ball and chain that ate a shark or some sort of dog fruit.
•Early in the series, Kotaro of Mahou Sensei Negima! with his powers sealed revealed the ability to become a small puppy. Recent events show that he can, at full power, become a Super-Powered Big Bad Ass Wolf.
•Ai To Yuuki No Pig Girl Tonde Buurin is about a warrior style Magical Girl (think Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew, or Pretty Cure) whose magical form is... a super powered pig. She does this willingly, but grudgingly, in order to earn pearls for good deeds so that once she gets One Hundred And Eight of them she can become a human superheroine instead.
•Essentially the entire point of +Anima.
•In Ruin Explorers, Ihrie was cursed as a child so that she turns into a mouse whenever she casts magic. Fortunately, she carries along a medicine that can reverse the effects, though having a limited supply at any one time means she still has to choose her battles.
•Pokémon has an episode in the Johto League saga wherein Ash meets a witch named Lily. She has a recipe for a potion that will let you read a Pokemon's mind, but needs some ingredients first. At the end of the ep, Ash is turned into a Pikachu, which is affectionately nicknamed Ashachu . It launched a hundred Fan Fic sequels when that happened.
•Rumiya and Ryo-Ohki in Pretty Sammy.
•Some fairies in Fairy Navigator Runa have animal forms as well as human ones.

•Jean Jacquemonde is this in the manga Spriggan as his father before him was a werewolf too, being created as a biological weapon of war by ancient civilizations. The catch? He needs to see his own blood after being shot to death to do this. He transforms back to a man after anyone near him is either gone from sight or dead.
•Free, of Atushi Ookubo's manga Soul Eater is a werewolf of the Man-Wolf variety. His transformation is entirely voluntary and is little more than cosmetic in regards to adding physical abilities (although it gives him claws and a tail). Free is also apparently immortal: He cannot die of old age and regenerates from practically any form of damage seen so far in the show (no-one have used fire or silver on him onscreen, but the witches probably tried it at some point during his imprisonment). He's also an ice mage and illusionist, which come from the magic eye that he took from the leader of the witches.
•Jyabura, a villain from One Piece, is possessed of a Devil Fruit power that allows him to transform into a wolf or a wolf/human hybrid that looks like a typical werewolf.
•Liru from Magical Pokaan turns into a cute little puppy with anything round, strangely enough, except for the full moon.
•Ginei from Rosario+Vampire, president of the Newspaper Club and Handsome Lech. As a werewolf, his primary battle strategy involves super speed.
◦He can transform at will, but he his power varies according to the phase of the moon. He once lost a fight when a cloud covered the moon.
•The Captain, one of the villains from the manga Hellsing, is a werewolf. He has several forms which he can go between at will, ranging from a human to a mist-like Dire Wolf. In all forms he has massive physical strength and speed with a Healing Factor.
•Wolf familiars Arf and Zafila of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, who are shown as capable of shifting from giant wolves, to this, to full human (i.e., no wolf ears or tails), to Fun Size versions of the first two forms. And just to punctuate the Wolf Man image, Arf's first on-screen transformation into a wolf was accompanied with a full moon in the background.
•Kotaro Inugami of Mahou Sensei Negima! is technically a dog boy, but he associates himself with wolves. He's also proven capable of turning into a really Big Badass Wolf at full power.
•Dora Nikov from Doraemon transforms whenever he sees a round object.
•Somewhat related: Saiyans in Dragon Ball transform into giant rampaging monkeys when they see the light of a full moon. Cutting off their tails prevents this, but until they reach a certain age, it will grow back.
◦Dragonball also features a Wolf Man Man Wolf, a wolfman that transforms into a man with the full moon. Tries to take revenge on Master Roshi for destroying the moon, leaving him a wolf.
•C'tarl C'tarl from Outlaw Star are werecats with several intermediate forms (Fuzzy Space-Elf to Cat Person to Buff Superpowered Cat Person to Giant Tiger) whose access are dependent on the presence and phase of a moon and on their own personal energy reserves.
◦There is an actual werewolf in the story too.
•Appears in many works by Osamu Tezuka. In Phoenix they're a kind of Shinto nature spirits. Another story, Vampire, features more typical ones that are called, well... Vampires (Though many vampire legends say they can turn into wolves, too). Perhaps the weirdest, and arguably most realistic, example is Ode To Kirihito, which revolves around the mysterious illness known as Monmow Disease, an affliction that gradually turns people into canine-like mutants until the trauma the transformation causes to their organs kills them.
•Arago has a variation wherein a specific wolf's pelt, when worn, will turn a person into a werewolf.
•Boma from Heat Guy J. He started off as a normal human being, but then committed a murder or series of murders. He got a life sentence (his city-state has no death penalty), and his head was genetically and surgically altered to resemble that of a black wolf. He also has the ability to Flash Step and literally pull a sword out of thin air.
•Arguably, Gaara counts as a were-tanuki pre- Time Skip. Shukaku is most active inside his mind when the moon is full, and this is when it is easiest for him to transform into the demon-tanuki.
•In the Wild Series, manbeasts are functionally werewolves from heaven. They are a hereditary magical race and can choose when to transform, but lose control around humans without a master to keep them in check. A master is essentially a cure to their madness.

And this from Wikipedia:
Flirtatious newspaper editor Ginei Morioka of the comedy/fantasy series Rosario + Vampire is a werewolf, although he spends most of his time in human form. Since the series takes place in a high school for supernatural and mythical creatures, he is quite open about his lycanthropy and does not consider it a problem. He is one of the strongest creatures at the school, even when the moon is waning.
Hyper Police bounty hunters Batanen and Tommy(Tomy) Fujioka are werewolves and cousins in this series.
In Crescent Moon, the character Akira Yamabuki is a happy-go-lucky werewolf who is also an excellent chef. Unlike the usual werewolves of modern lore, his transformational state is not induced by a full moon. He himself can choose when to induce the transformation.
Lycanthropes are frequently featured in Fred Perry's Manga Gold Digger. They vary in species, from were-wolves to were-cheetahs. As well as basic animal and human forms, they can also change at will to a third 'hybrid' form, in which they retain their animal colouring and strength, but also basic human shape.
Jean Jacquemonde from Spriggan has lycanthrope roots in his DNA. His estranged father, Rick Bordeau, is the carrier of the lycanthrope gene in his family. Later on, Jean's DNA is acquired by Trident as part of their biological weapons program.
The Captain, a member of the Millennium organization in Kouta Hirano's manga Hellsing

caninesrockMay 18, 2011 9:44 AM

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 10 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
4 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
8 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.