Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2011 1:14 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Anime News Network and the anime distributor Kaze SAS have partnered up to launch a new anime streaming service for the UK called Anime On Demand. The new site will launch this April, with details on its lineup planned to be revealed on Monday April 4th.

Pricing as quoted:

SPECIAL LIMITED OFFER: Spring Season - early adopter's pass (April-July, including an extra month to sample the new season's anime): £9.99

Annual pass (Spring, Summer, Winter and Autumn seasons): £34.99

Their website can be found at: http://www.anime-on-demand.com/

Source: ANN

Story by iamnoone
p r o f i l e 👀
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 3, 2011 1:21 AM

Nov 2008
It's a step in the right direction, I suppose, but £35 for an annual pass, when there are normally only a few series per year that are worth watching? I don't think so. And that's assuming they get everything, which they don't (thanks, Crunchyroll).

Unless they stream older "classic" anime as well as new series, of course, then it MIGHT be worth it, but then there's the streaming quality issue.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 3, 2011 1:22 AM

Nov 2008
I'd be stoked if I lived in the UK!
Apr 3, 2011 1:31 AM

May 2010
never be anything benefiting me...
Apr 3, 2011 1:32 AM

May 2009
I don't live in the UK, so whatever. But yeah, it sounds good.

And what does Kaze SAS stand for? Special Air Service?
Apr 3, 2011 1:44 AM

Nov 2008
mikhailn said:
And what does Kaze SAS stand for? Special Air Service?

Nah, it's a french business entity called "Société par Actions Simplifiée"
YandyApr 3, 2011 1:50 AM
Apr 3, 2011 1:53 AM

Jul 2009
Sweet.
But £35....I'm a student, not enough money.Even If I did, My parents would bitch
Damn

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Apr 3, 2011 1:57 AM

Oct 2008
Also worth noting that there will be at least one free simulcast per season too.

FOE-tan said:
It's a step in the right direction, I suppose, but £35 for an annual pass, when there are normally only a few series per year that are worth watching? I don't think so. And that's assuming they get everything, which they don't (thanks, Crunchyroll).

Crunchyroll's yearly price I guess is $59.88? XE converts that to £37.16.

As long as their a good amount of content and it actually doesn't rely on Paypal - i'm probably signing up.
Apr 3, 2011 2:08 AM

Nov 2008
iamnoone said:
Also worth noting that there will be at least one free simulcast per season too.

FOE-tan said:

Crunchyroll's yearly price I guess is $59.88? XE converts that to £37.16.
That's only if you want HQ and instant access with no ads.

Most (not all *cough*GOSICK*cough*) Crunchy anime become free to watch with adverts a week after they originally aired. At least they give you the choice. That's how I am watching Hourou Musuko.

This service sounds like one where you have to pay if you want to watch anything at all other than the designated free simulacast from it, regardless of video quality and adverts.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 3, 2011 2:16 AM

May 2009
HaremAllMighty said:
Sweet.
But £35....I'm a student, not enough money.Even If I did, My parents would bitch
Damn

*Nods profusedly* Hell no, I'll just download then connect my laptop into my TV and watch it in High-resolution or BD if availoable with subs rather than paying it for such a high price. That's almost like paying an annual X-box 360 fee x(

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Apr 3, 2011 2:55 AM
Nov 2008
HaremAllMighty said:
Sweet.
Damn

Well, maybe if you cancelled your Xbox Live subscription, didn't make so many phone calls and stopped buying junk food every day your parents wouldn't bitch?

Just a thought.
Apr 3, 2011 3:07 AM

Aug 2008
f*** u... kay?

What about the 26 other MSs?
Apr 3, 2011 3:11 AM

Feb 2010
so for people who doesn't have enough "bucks" won't be able to watch anime if this methods spreads :/

this is a conspiracy man!! T.T

*cough*Net Neutrality*cough*
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 3, 2011 3:14 AM
Dec 2009
Sorry, there are no premium series available in Norway..
Ill stick with Crunchyroll ^^
Apr 3, 2011 3:18 AM

Mar 2010
Onibokusu said:
HaremAllMighty said:
Sweet.
Damn

Well, maybe if you cancelled your Xbox Live subscription, didn't make so many phone calls and stopped buying junk food every day your parents wouldn't bitch?

Just a thought.

Ooh! that sound hard but true and £35 per year is not an excuse

Apr 3, 2011 4:25 AM

Jul 2008
Damn it.

Being a UK anime fan I had high hopes for this but it's just another damn streaming site clone a la Crunchyroll.

I'm annoyed because I WANT to support the industry as much as I can but all the legal online services are just nowhere near as good as fansubs in terms of video and sub quality. Why can't they freaking get a license to provide downloadable episodes in HD with proper typesetting and well-edited scripts - I would pay for that in a heartbeat with no hesitation - but I don't want to spend money on an inferior service to what random fans of anime can do in their free time. Big corporations like Viz or whoever do the subs have the resources to spend on actually producing quality subs and videos. Fansubbers can do it in their own spare time - so if Viz payed professionals to do it then surely they should be able to at least produce something equally good as randomers on the internet....

It annoys me so much that they can't make a business model that provides a quality service to the users.

Also paying a yearly subscription when there is no guarantee that we will be interested in future shows they pick up is a bit hard to accept. Ideally a service like this would be paying a small fee to download individual episodes of a new series in HD - that way you can pick up interesting series and drop them after 6 episodes if you don't like them without wasting your money. If you payed £35 for a year and they only picked up 3 shows you were interested in over the year it would be a severe waste of money.
Apr 3, 2011 5:21 AM

Apr 2009
I'm not from the UK, but even if I were, I wouldn't give a damn about it. As long as they won't stream it in - at least - good quality 720p with decent audio, there's no point in rejoicing over it. By the way, they won't. Why? Because they assume that most people wouldn't be able to stream it due to too slow Internet connections. For 35 pounds sterling I would expect to get at least a choice whether I want to stream it in 480p with shitty audio, or legally download it in decent quality (like, 720p).
I'd like to support the industry, but first, they have to realize that people expect something of quality equal to costs. I give you my money, you give me my anime in HD - simple, is it not?
Onibokusu said:
HaremAllMighty said:
Sweet.
Damn

Just a thought.

Err, you know, I - for instance - don't have an xbox, pay only ~7-8€ for my phone bills, I also avoid junk food and you see... am still short on money. I don't know how it is over there in Australia, but here where I live, it's actually bloody hard to live by being a full-time student at college. So, consider others' situation first and then criticize them, ok? Just a thought.
LustrelessApr 3, 2011 5:31 AM

Apr 3, 2011 6:35 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
with 35 sterling I want at least 720p....

otherwise, it's a bit expensive for crappy streaming.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 3, 2011 6:38 AM
Nov 2009
Well if you think about it. In the UK there's no TV shows showing 'anime' you do get Naruto i believe but i think that's it.

and for most box sets costing a minumum of £50 for 26 eps and its usually £12 for 4 eps. i think £35 is reasonable.

but like people have said the quality of the streaming is an issue.
Apr 3, 2011 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
DVDs are nowhere near that expensive here in the UK.
Apr 3, 2011 7:55 AM
Nov 2008
Blackiris said:

Err, you know, I - for instance - don't have an xbox, pay only ~7-8€ for my phone bills, I also avoid junk food and you see... am still short on money. I don't know how it is over there in Australia, but here where I live, it's actually bloody hard to live by being a full-time student at college. So, consider others' situation first and then criticize them, ok? Just a thought.

I'm a full-time first year University student myself. I don't have an Xbox, pay only AU$20 a month for my phone line and only buy junk food once or twice a week (AU$8 or so).

I still don't consider AU$54.27 a year much to gripe about, that's only AU$4.52 a month, or AU$1.13 a week. Definitely not taking a chunk out of my small income. It's more expensive to buy a 600ml bottle of Coca Cola.
Apr 3, 2011 9:41 AM

Jan 2008
OMG! I AM SO HAPPY! even if they dont have anything i would want to watch i would still pay to them, anything that helps the anime industry im will to give my money to!
Apr 3, 2011 10:14 AM

Oct 2008
wakka9ca said:
with 35 sterling I want at least 720p....

otherwise, it's a bit expensive for crappy streaming.

Anime on Demand's plan is to stream all shows in SD and HD 720p resolutions.

Source: http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Tiger_and_Bunny_coming_to_Anime_on_Demand_in_the_UK.html
Confirmed so far:
  • Tiger and Bunny
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan

More in the link above too.

Onibokusu said:
Blackiris said:

I'm a full-time first year University student myself. I don't have an Xbox, pay only AU$20 a month for my phone line and only buy junk food once or twice a week (AU$8 or so).

I still don't consider AU$54.27 a year much to gripe about, that's only AU$4.52 a month, or AU$1.13 a week. Definitely not taking a chunk out of my small income. It's more expensive to buy a 600ml bottle of Coca Cola.

I'm just a full time student myself, i'll just have to consider limiting how much on some not so needed things. Heck this is cheaper than my travelling costs.
takukuApr 3, 2011 10:24 AM
Apr 3, 2011 11:26 AM

Jul 2008
The question is, how many series will they stream each season and how good are the subs?
Apr 3, 2011 11:43 AM

Jul 2008
Interesting. I think £35 a year is more than reasonable depending on what and how much anime they get and how fast the subtitles are done and put online. The anime industry over here has improved a lot lately, I've noticed.

jimbo833 said:
Well if you think about it. In the UK there's no TV shows showing 'anime' you do get Naruto i believe but i think that's it.

and for most box sets costing a minumum of £50 for 26 eps and its usually £12 for 4 eps. i think £35 is reasonable.

but like people have said the quality of the streaming is an issue.

We used to have an anime channel called 'Anime Network' but it went under some time ago and the TV channel 'propeller' used to have 2 hour anime slots every day at 8pm. Bravo also aired Afro Samurai and we have a bunch of kids stuff. Plus the BBC and Film 4 show a hefty dose of Ghibli movies, so it's not like we don't or didn't used to get any anime.

Also, your prices are way off. Right now on Amazon UK you can get the Claymore boxset for a mere £15.55, the entire Darker Than Black series is only £15.99, the Wolf's Rain boxset is just £14.99, the Noein boxset is £12.93 and the complete series of Buso Renkin is £9.99. Even the Death Note boxset is just £26.99 and has been dropping for months. They no longer release 'single volumes' over here in the UK. Distributors go straight to the boxset.
ToukaApr 3, 2011 11:47 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 3, 2011 12:24 PM
Nov 2009
i know we used to but i have not seen any shows recently or any at all ( apart from the norm) ( plus i dont watch tv much any more :P )

and i dont do much shopping on amazon, i was talknig more about retail.. HMV or forbidden planet.
Apr 3, 2011 12:34 PM

May 2009
Thats good for uk i guess.
"Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis" Which means "It's not for me, It's not for you. It's for everyone"
Apr 3, 2011 12:40 PM

May 2009
chrislongden3 said:

I'm annoyed because I WANT to support the industry as much as I can but all the legal online services are just nowhere near as good as fansubs in terms of video and sub quality. Why can't they freaking get a license to provide downloadable episodes in HD with proper typesetting and well-edited scripts - I would pay for that in a heartbeat with no hesitation - but I don't want to spend money on an inferior service to what random fans of anime can do in their free time. Big corporations like Viz or whoever do the subs have the resources to spend on actually producing quality subs and videos. Fansubbers can do it in their own spare time - so if Viz payed professionals to do it then surely they should be able to at least produce something equally good as randomers on the internet....

It annoys me so much that they can't make a business model that provides a quality service to the users.

Also paying a yearly subscription when there is no guarantee that we will be interested in future shows they pick up is a bit hard to accept. Ideally a service like this would be paying a small fee to download individual episodes of a new series in HD - that way you can pick up interesting series and drop them after 6 episodes if you don't like them without wasting your money. If you payed £35 for a year and they only picked up 3 shows you were interested in over the year it would be a severe waste of money.

Seriously. It's ridiculous that they expect us to want to pay that much for inferior service. They should provide the quality the consumers desire and then maybe they would have a better time of things. If random internet fans can do this, I'm sure they can. I want to support the industry and I wouldn't mind paying for quality streams/downloads but I'm not about to waste my money on a half-assed product or on gambles. Sorry if that makes me a bad person *shrugs*
There's a separate stomach for cake~
Apr 3, 2011 2:27 PM

Mar 2011
Sounds Cool!! I can spare £35.. I just hope that its not a total rip off.
Apr 3, 2011 2:58 PM

Oct 2010
sweeeettt, but i probably wont get
Apr 3, 2011 4:54 PM
Nov 2008
natures-song said:
nowhere near as good as fansubs in terms of video and sub quality.

Video quality? Sure. Streaming standards aren't HD as of yet, so lower quality streams might be expected. We don't know this yet though, since this isn't a US streaming site.

Subtitle quality? Oh please, let me facepalm. There's a key reason why yellow-on-black was used for such a long time, on both DVD and Stream releases. It's easy to read and doesn't require a fuckton of fonts to be purchased. These days they are white-on-black, so I got no idea why you'd be complaining about typesetting.

Oh, and script editing? Since when was bad grammar and poor sentence structure good script editing?
Apr 3, 2011 5:06 PM
Mar 2011
Finally, maybe we won't be getting "this isn't available in your country" kind of message.
Apr 4, 2011 5:04 AM

Nov 2008
i don't live in UK so whatever
Apr 4, 2011 11:29 AM

Mar 2009
So is this supposed to be some belated April Fool's joke? The site looks like it was thrown together by a 12yo, but more importantly, there's virtually no anime listed on it. Make me a convincing case for parting with my money in terms of what you're going to show (and at what resolution), and then I'll think about.
Apr 5, 2011 8:35 AM

Jul 2009
It's about time we were acknowledged.
The odd few boxsets are avaliable in select stores such as comic book stores and large HMV's, yet they're expensive and often, split the series into segments; extorting your cash, and since we have no anime, how are we suppose to know if the serise is worth it? Even video rental stores generally don't have anime.

Apr 6, 2011 3:58 PM

Mar 2009
Queen_Stars said:
Even video rental stores generally don't have anime.

Online rental outfits such as LoveFilm (and its various brand franchises like Tesco DVD Rental) have virtually all anime ever released on DVD or BD in the UK.
Apr 6, 2011 6:31 PM
Apr 2011
In terms of anime releases we tend to get things pretty late so this is welcome. The price actually isn't that expensive but I would rather pay monthly.

So far there is literally hardly anything there though. I see a shed load of trailers and some free streams from ANN UK (which must be pretty new coz i never new there was an ANN UK). I won't be paying for this just yet until they get a lot of simalcast stuff.

There is something I wondered though. I tried paying for crunchy roll and I live in the UK and every payment method failed for some reason. (so I was kind of pissed and their support absolutely sucks) but does crunchy roll purchase streaming licenses for the UK because I assumed that a lot of their anime wasn't. Just the popular ones were.

I am not sure if this anime on demand will do well in the UK though. Anime might be slightly significant in digital distribution but you will be hard pressed to find anime in high street shops. I hope it does do well though.
Apr 7, 2011 11:56 AM

Oct 2008
@dubbinz, during the announcements period for the new season - they usually announce what countries have what anime and sometimes whether it will be member only for that. If you go to http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime, it will only show the series that are available to the UK. Also for CR, they told me I had to use Paypal.

From AoD's twitter:
@Phantom2448 all going well, 3 tomorrow, 2 more next week :)
Apr 7, 2011 4:45 PM

Jul 2009
Thoguht said:
Queen_Stars said:
Even video rental stores generally don't have anime.

Online rental outfits such as LoveFilm (and its various brand franchises like Tesco DVD Rental) have virtually all anime ever released on DVD or BD in the UK.

I promise they don't (Lovefilms that is) http://www.lovefilm.com/browse/film/anime/p1/ . ;)
One disk conatins about four episodes; therefor a long series (a shounen jump one) with OVA series will be spearted into many DVD's and the movies come separately.
Ontop of this, they're mostlry the highly popular stuff America like and down to the option of DVD or Bluray, it boosts the volume of stuff in storage.
Anyway, i'll check out the likes of Tesco, thanks.

Apr 8, 2011 4:54 AM
Apr 2011
iamnoone said:
@dubbinz, during the announcements period for the new season - they usually announce what countries have what anime and sometimes whether it will be member only for that. If you go to http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime, it will only show the series that are available to the UK. Also for CR, they told me I had to use Paypal.

From AoD's twitter:
@Phantom2448 all going well, 3 tomorrow, 2 more next week :)

thanks for the link
I used paypal, it said "sorry we cannot fullfill this transaction at this time" and that I should contact their support. I did and 3 months later I got a reply (I know right 3 months???) and it said try the other payment methods, lol I already tried these 3 months prior and every month until then. So I gave up.

@ queen_stars yeah rental for volumes that have had boxsets out for years? I didn't see much new stuff in the list. And because it's all in volumes it makes the list look bigger than it actually is. dissappointing.
Apr 8, 2011 9:19 AM

Oct 2008
LOL 3 months, longer than mine was but then again they basically said to use something that I said I refused to use.

Also no problem for the link. AoD have now announced Steins;Gate, Nichijou and Deadman Wonderland.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-04-08/anime-on-demand-announces-next-three-simulcasts
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
33 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.