Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2011 3:11 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
As a OVA, it was bad. There was very little, if any, background about any of the characters. If this had been expanded to a 12-13 part series it would have made more sense.
This was defiantly an OVA built upon cliche's, mecha body suits vs. dimensional creatures. I would have liked to have more of this.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 27, 2013 11:41 PM
Jul 2010
sbyrstall said:

This was defiantly an OVA built upon cliche's, mecha body suits vs. dimensional creatures.

What the hell? that was the WHOLE point for Heaven's sake! This OVA IS the ultimate tribute to the whole uchuu keiji genre. Look, this is if tokusatsu heroes, like let's say, Power rangers instead of dealing with the PG-rated problems typical of shows aimed at children they'll get suicides, bullying, corruption, abuses of power and rape. Fights where the antagonists resemble demons spawn from hell, blood and nudity, and the hero fights all this with the typical henshin scenes and shouting the attack's names like if this were a children's tokusatsu! It's almost bizarre watching Hikaru fighting these demonic forces with those toy guns-like thingies that you'll only see in kid's shows.
You get Azumi who is the parody of characters like Annie from Space Sheriff Shaider, panty shots and everything. Heck, the very name of this OVA, "Campus Special Investigator" is a parody of the "Space Sheriff" franchise.

The interesting thing about this is the ultimate message you get from it, even if you ignore all of the above: all these demonic creatures pale in comparison with human nature. They were not responsible for all that bullying, use of powerful influences to commit crimes nor the decision of the class to look away instead of helping the needed: humans were. It kinds of portrays humans being more of a monsters than those demonic creatures could ever be.
Dec 25, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
sbyrstall said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
As a OVA, it was bad. There was very little, if any, background about any of the characters. If this had been expanded to a 12-13 part series it would have made more sense.
This was defiantly an OVA built upon cliche's, mecha body suits vs. dimensional creatures. I would have liked to have more of this.
Its a tribute to Space Sheriff and the Metal Heroes tokusatsu. I guess you don't understand what tokusatsu is.
Signature removed.
May 18, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2015
It was a great homage to shows like Gyaban with those typical SFX/BGM, scenes,
The unusual setting and the format (video animation) help to demarcate from the genre and give a new look on it.

Enjoyment: 5/5
Score: 6/10

sbyrstall said:
As a OVA, it was bad. There was very little, if any, background about any of the characters

For me, it is a perfectly normal thing in a non-series OAV. Plus telling a story did not seem to be the major objective here.
Aug 8, 2020 8:15 PM

Mar 2016
I liked it. It felt as if they threw me into the middle of a long-running series (like with the characters already familiar with their roles and each other), which was a great way to eliminate the need for tedious exposition, and that ended up making for an entertaining experience. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to toku but it was pretty coherent.

Hopefully OP actually was around to read some of these responses, and learn something, cause I did.
syncrogazerAug 8, 2020 8:25 PM
Sep 21, 2020 3:14 AM

Aug 2015
Never even knew about this until a few weeks ago. Got myself a copy and watched it today. Absolutely great. I'm a huge fan of toku and this was nice representation of an average episode of 80's toku, albeit a tad more graphic. I only wish there was a better release out there somewhere.
Controversial opinions
Jun 4, 2021 3:09 PM

Jan 2021
That was so..
Horrible ( in my opinion)
Jul 7, 2021 6:50 AM

Jul 2011
The ending felt sort of rushed with everything happening in the last 10 min (the mc's heper being captured and mind controlled, the villain trying to control Shinaa, being exposed, transforming, teleporting them, ect...)
Still, it's decent enough I guess.
May 18, 2022 9:22 AM

Dec 2020
This was like a love letter to Space Sheriff and Tokusatsu heroes.
The pacing was good. I enjoyed it. Wish it was a full series instead of just one OVA but that is fine.
Sep 25, 2022 2:54 PM

Nov 2012
A decent one-off, I get that it's a homage but does seem like the kind of thing that would've done well as a series, or at least multiple episodes!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Mar 21, 10:36 PM

Oct 2021
Dude this is like Metal Hero tokusatsu in anime form perfection!! The attention to detail was top notch, the songs, the choreography, the weapons, the moves and everything was awesome. Great homage to Uchuu Keiji Gavan.

The cute sexy ladies only made it better. Why can't we have anime like this anymore?
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.