Forum Settings
Forums

Author of Mayoi Neko Overrun Worries About Current Trend of Anime Production

New
Dec 31, 2010 1:14 AM

Feb 2008
Online magazine Business Media Makoto released a report on a symposium "Expanding Contents" held on November 21st. At the symposium, Matsu Tomohiro, the author of Mayoi Neko Overrun! novel and the series composer of Queen's Blade anime, lectured about the problems of the current anime industry.

1. High speed consumption of light novels
Due to the increase in the number of anime aired late at night, light novels get anime adaptations soon after they acquire certain level of popularity. Anime producers prefer light novels to manga because even a single volume of novel provide sufficient amount of story and characters to produce an anime. Light novel industry is under pressure to supply large amount of works enough to maintain the programming blocks of the TV.

2. Low quality anime can terminate the original novel / manga
Light novel authors feel happy about the increased opportunity to have their work animated, but that's double-edged sword. Authors can gain money and popularity if the anime is successful, but failed anime adaptations deject them and could lead to the termination of the novel / manga. Even if the anime brings about a rise in the popularity, a short-term boom will also shorten the lifetime of the work. The worst thing is that the authors are often blamed for the failure of the anime. It's really hard to start a new series following an anime because of the pressure and anxiety.

3. Reproduction in reduced quality
The business model of novel/manga-derived anime relies on the expectation that some percentage of the novel/manga readers will purchase the DVD/Blu-ray of the anime. If we too much care about the core fans of the original works, the resultant anime will be a reduced reproduction. On the other hand, some young novel authors are affected by the anime because they are aware of possible anime adaptation. It could result in another reduced reproduction. Anime producers have to adapt novel and manga in a style suitable to anime and establish a reciprocal relationship with the original authors.

Source: Biz Makoto
arsonalMay 2, 2016 10:35 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 31, 2010 1:54 AM

Jan 2008
and the series composer of Queen's Blade anime

Oh the irony.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Dec 31, 2010 2:08 AM

Sep 2009
no.2: ouch, that's harsh. not just the authors fail but lose their novel and get to be blame! Next time i'll blame the producer XD
Dec 31, 2010 2:17 AM

Aug 2009
Well, the quality of the anime adaptation really depends on the director and the budget. It is also the director's duty to do the best s/he can to portray the anime as close as possible to the novel/manga. It's alright to do experiments, but at least do not change how the original series tries to portray it. It is always better to animate finished mangas/novels so that they don't prolong episodes, put fillers, and/or change the story.
Dec 31, 2010 2:29 AM

Mar 2008
It's always like this. I guess I can't understand since I'm not Japanese, but it seems like Japanese animation studios shit out a bunch of garbage each season, and I can't believe that anybody enjoys it, especially the fans of the original work. There just needs to be more of a focus on producing a quality show than simply adapting a work to run in a tv slot.
Dec 31, 2010 2:45 AM

May 2009
2/3 - This reminds me of DenYuuDen, the anime is like an 2007 released one. Great story but in poor and somewhat has boring vibe quality, I'm sure they can do better than this D:

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Dec 31, 2010 2:50 AM

Nov 2009
An interesting read, but I can't say that I agree with number1 too much. There are other material to use as a basis for an anime production, not only light novels. Whereas number 2 and 3 argue both pros and cons for it. Anime politics right here folks.
Dec 31, 2010 3:44 AM

Oct 2009
Well this seems strange coming from him seeing as Mayoi Neko Overrun was one of the most mediocre light novel adaption anime I've ever seen.
Dec 31, 2010 3:49 AM
Jun 2008
.......is this a new way to make people in Japan to read light Novel instead of Manga?
both manga and Light Novel is almost the same to me when its adapted into Anime -,-"
Dec 31, 2010 4:24 AM

Dec 2006
MorningGlory said:

both manga and Light Novel is almost the same to me when its adapted into Anime -,-"

Plenty of fanservice...

Dec 31, 2010 4:46 AM

Apr 2008
kashim said:

Oh the irony.

What's the irony in question if I may ask?
Something.
Dec 31, 2010 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
I guess he's just butthurt because Mayoi Neko Overrun sucked.
Dec 31, 2010 5:37 AM

Aug 2010
N.2 seemed harsh to me. Even if it's the author who created the story, the director and the producer are the ones who bear the responibility to make the anime successful. They shouldn't blame on the author who made a successful novel, but the director and the producer who made the failed anime.
Dec 31, 2010 5:39 AM

Jan 2008
WcDuck said:
kashim said:

Oh the irony.

What's the irony in question if I may ask?

Staff member of an anime which is one of, in my opinions, of the 'best' examples of anime decay talking about quality issues in today's industry. As simple as that. Not to mention his 'notable' work is an ecchi harem, not of the highbrow shelf.

Dec 31, 2010 5:39 AM
May 2010
LOL.. He should Mention Black Cat anime and Mayoi Neko as Example..
Dec 31, 2010 6:02 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
So he's talking about himself.... interesting....

Other than that, what he said is mostly true. They are running out of ideas, very fast.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 31, 2010 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
dtshyk said:

2. Low quality anime can terminate the original novel / manga
Light novel authors feel happy about the increased opportunity to have their work animated, but that's double-edged sword. Authors can gain money and popularity if the anime is successful, but failed anime adaptations deject them and could lead to the termination of the novel / manga.

nice observation i thought thesame way in the past now my opinion is not mine alone

hope anime studio step up their game they should not go for cheap animation and low pacing of story just to drag the story for more episodes for them to earn more money they should start thinking Quality over Quantity, a few Quality episode adaptations of a novel or manga is better than more Quantity of episodes that has same level as animation and story pacing as Naruto Shippuden and Bleach lol
Dec 31, 2010 6:34 AM

Apr 2008
kashim said:
Staff member of an anime which is one of, in my opinions, of the 'best' examples of anime decay talking about quality issues in today's industry. As simple as that. Not to mention his 'notable' work is an ecchi harem, not of the highbrow shelf.

You are obviously missing the point. Like wakka said, he's talking about his own personal experiences. A series composer is nothing like a director or a producer, who get the authority.

And even if you hate Queen's Blade, it doesn't mean it was a failure. It had fairly decent production values, that's why it sold.

But even if this has irony, it just confirms his points. He knows what he's talking about.
Something.
Dec 31, 2010 7:04 AM

Jul 2009
the author of Mayoi Neko Overrun! novel

I think he's just mad his anime sucked.

He is right though, but then again, wasn't this already common knowledge?
Dec 31, 2010 7:26 AM

Oct 2009
Well, yeah.

So, what now?
Dec 31, 2010 7:52 AM

Jul 2007
Sheepdude said:
It's always like this. I guess I can't understand since I'm not Japanese, but it seems like Japanese animation studios shit out a bunch of garbage each season, and I can't believe that anybody enjoys it, especially the fans of the original work. There just needs to be more of a focus on producing a quality show than simply adapting a work to run in a tv slot.

When you think about it, same applies to western works too. I mean every year each channel shits out thousands of generic tv shows, 70% of them get canceled.

Shows with fanservivce, generic school-life/slice-of-life plots, etc survive better than more high quality works. And if two or three shows of the same director are cancelled, it forms a trend where everyone expects the next show of his to fail and be cancelled, even though the works of his are really high quality(i'm looking at how FOX treats anything created by Joss Wheddon)

Generally those things listed in that opinion in the first post, apply to any visual medium in any country.
Dec 31, 2010 7:58 AM

Jan 2008
WcDuck said:
kashim said:

You are obviously missing the point. Like wakka said, he's talking about his own personal experiences. A series composer is nothing like a director or a producer, who get the authority.

And even if you hate Queen's Blade, it doesn't mean it was a failure. It had fairly decent production values, that's why it sold.

But even if this has irony, it just confirms his points. He knows what he's talking about.

Sure I agree with most of what he says since he has inside info about it. I only find irony in that he's basically a part of it, albeit not a significant one. And no hate for QB, only indifference.

As for point two, Bakuman adapatation is a turd but will probably 'make' people read manga instead, so there are exceptions ^^

Dec 31, 2010 8:28 AM

Jan 2010
@ the 2nd one

Ouch!!!! , thats true ... ACTUALLY !
Dec 31, 2010 8:51 AM

Jan 2010
Sweet Jesus this is ironic.

Come up with terrible products.
Complain about said terrible products.

Trollface.jpg
Ok™
Dec 31, 2010 9:01 AM

Apr 2010
Desirio said:

i agree it was awful, but considering he was the series composer for Queens Blade, i dont want to here this guy whining anymore until he does something worthwhile to fix the problem

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Dec 31, 2010 9:15 AM

Oct 2008
This reminds me of Kirino's experience in Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. :P
Dec 31, 2010 9:32 AM

Jul 2008
So just because Mayoi Neko sucked he is blaming the industry?
Dec 31, 2010 10:51 AM

Feb 2008
Well said. I do agree with all points mentioned.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 31, 2010 11:01 AM

Jul 2009
I just can't swallow THIS coming from someone who produced the worst ecchi nonsense failure of an anime of the latest time (QB of course).
Dec 31, 2010 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
I agree with all 3 points but I get the feeling this is a rant due to the failure of Mayoi Neko Overrun.

Dec 31, 2010 11:54 AM

Oct 2007
so...we're not getting a new season of Mayoi Neko that follows the manga and light novels more closely?
Dec 31, 2010 2:14 PM
Jul 2009
cr4sian_phil said:
so...we're not getting a new season of Mayoi Neko that follows the manga and light novels more closely?

The meaning of the article is unclear to me, but I think he's saying that it's a mistake to try to follow light novels too closely in an attempt to cater to existing fans. Instead, producers should create content that fits the anime medium instead of mindlessly forcing the novel content into an unsuitable arrangement for anime (thus producing a deteriorated reproduction of the original).

At the same time, he wants anime producers to work with original authors to ensure that the show is produced with everyone's best interests in mind.

I think he's saying that Mayoi Neko Overrun (which did comparatively well, financially speaking) was kind of a step in the right direction. Instead of cloning the novels and producing a deteriorated reproduction, the anime staff were allowed to produce the show they thought they should make. Matsu himself also helped with the series composition, hence the collaborative process between anime creators and light novel authors.
Dec 31, 2010 5:45 PM

May 2007
He's not just stating this because Mayoi Nek Overrun failed. It's a fact that 99.9 percent of manga/novel adaptions into anime, aren't as good as the original work. I think he is just more aware of this now that he has seen it happen with his own work.
Dec 31, 2010 6:46 PM

Apr 2008
Zekses said:
I just can't swallow THIS coming from someone who produced the worst ecchi nonsense failure of an anime of the latest time (QB of course).

What you consider bad, has a huge fanbase and is successful in Japan. So yeah... they don't identify you with their consumer market, therefore your opinion doesn't matter much. :-)
Jan 1, 2011 5:59 PM

Nov 2007
well he is right in a way the director of mayoi overun is a wanker he ruined the anime lol

but he realy should have come out and said this WHEN it was airing

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 2, 2011 12:04 PM

Jun 2008
Hm... What they say about the problems seems true... I especially agree with the second issue Q_Q

Tyranid5 said:
This reminds me of Kirino's experience in Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. :P

Right XD
Jan 2, 2011 1:26 PM

Sep 2008
>Make Cancer that is killing anime
>Complain about how the cancer is made.

this just goes to show how retarded the higher ups in the anime industry have become.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 3, 2011 9:07 AM

Nov 2008
Desirio said:

lol i will back that up
Jan 3, 2011 9:38 PM

Jun 2008
*SIGH*

I don't know what to say exactly...

In a way he's right, and in another, he's part of the PROBLEM!

There seems to be too much complaining, as an author or mangaka, just try to enjoy the exposure your series is getting and don't complain when the product doesn't turn out to be a hit.

For example R+V anime wasn't "good" and received many complaints, however the mangaka didn't bitch.....

He kept drawing, he kept improving the story and the art, and I can easily say that R+V is a GREAT manga, and people shouldn't focus on the anime as a measuring stick.
Jan 5, 2011 8:15 AM

Sep 2010
that's interesting~
I have been noticing adaptions of light novels more and more lately

Jan 5, 2011 9:31 AM

Nov 2008
taki-desu said:
that's interesting~
I have been noticing adaptions of light novels more and more lately

It's easier to create adaptations of VNs and Light Novels but both can cause quality issues in the anime version.

Feb 10, 2011 1:32 AM
Jun 2008
Point 1:

In some ways this reminds me of the Hollywood industy and its turn out of movies adapted from novels, games, comics/Manga and cartoons/Anime. They are in it for the money and choose to pick up stuff to adapt into the movies simply because it is popular, not checking to see if it is really worth adapting into a movie or if it is simply a fad. They also don't check to see if the story is actually one that can translate easily into anime.

Some of the producers do it because they don't want to take time to come up with an original story line. That being said, I don't buy into the idea that the light novel industry is really under such pressure as he is in fact saying. Now, I don't know much about copyright in Japan, but I am quite sure that that copyright holder, just like in the US can say no selling the rights if they don't feel it is the right time.

Point 2:

I believe what this person is getting at is the act of some Anime watchers to assume that because the story in the Anime sucks, whatever it might be adapted from sucks too. However, this may be just me, I felt Mayoi Neko Overrun! had what seemed like quite a few of filler episodes that simply didn't fit in with the rest of them. When I get that kind of feeling, I tend to blame the people making the Anime first, unless I find out later on that it isn't filler.

I do have to say this though. If the original was not of a good quality in the first place and the Anime creators aren't given licence to improve or make it more toward an Anime watching audience, then some of the fault falls onto the story writer. And while some originals are good, some adaptations are in fact better. For example, the movie Horse Whisper is better then the book as the movie makes it more family friendly. I prefer the movie of How to Train Your Dragon and know that a straight adaptation of the book, no matter how cute they are simply wouldn't have worked. There is two sides of this arguement.

Point 3:

I am a fanfic writer and an amature writer and I shake my head at this one. Any proffessional writer will tell you, you don't go into writing expecting your book to get a movie adaptation. You go into it wanting to sell your books first and foremost. Then you worry about the stuff outside of that.In other words, these young writers, if they have a sempai so to speak, surely they will be told not to do that kind of nonsense.

But onto the other side of the matter, we do have some annoying fans who get upset over the smallest things and make too big of a deal over something that normally would be brushed off. There are actually two kind of Anime adaptations. The one that takes strait from canon with a few minor changes, maybe some filler, and then the AU adaptation. The ones I am bothered with people complaining about the most are AU adaptations simply because they are AU adaptations, not because they lost the feel of the fandom. This counts Hollywood movies too. Of course...

I haven't read the light novel. If the plot is very much like the Anime, then I say the fault does fall on him to some degree, particularly if variance was allowed. But as I have said, I haven't read the novel and I can not judge. It might be completely on the Anime peoples fault. Also though... I won't ever believe that just because something gains popularity that means that it is actually good either. Some people will read something simply because it is a candy read.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

12 by _ATG_ »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
5 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.