Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Are Haru and Sora ALIVE?
Dec 21, 2010 8:26 AM
Aug 2010
I've been reading up on this ever since I finished watching the 12th episode of Yosuga no Sora, and a lot of people are going back in forth with them dying, or being alive and no thread was made about this, so I decided to make one.

In my opinion plain and simple, they're indeed alive. Don't feel like going to detail but I want to see other people's opinions on this one. :)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 21, 2010 8:49 AM

Aug 2010
If they did die the text near the end would be a major plot hole.

I think they are alive, not sure why they wouldn't show Sora saving him though.

I think there's a lot of evidence both ways tbh and the only way we'd truly know is if another season was put out, with the new law that's been passed i can't see that happening ^^
Dec 21, 2010 9:00 AM

Dec 2010
Well, according to the game ending Sora save Haru. Apart this the last volume of the manga will be release the 25, maybe more details will be revealed:

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/comic/bk_detail.php?pcd=201008000623
Dec 21, 2010 9:06 AM
Aug 2010
I completely agree with that. Especially after the whole lake scene, no one appeared to be sad, but disappointed about the twincest thing, or that they're gone. There were no tears, or anything like that either. And the destroyed bunny, Haru obviously bought Sora a new one.
Dec 21, 2010 9:21 AM

Nov 2010
they are alive nao saved them.
Dec 21, 2010 9:48 AM

Aug 2010
I was posting about this in the EP. 12 thread and like to offer a condensed version of my reasoning for arguments for and against their deaths here:

Arguments for their death:

-It is explicitly stated on the "Yosuga no Sora" wiki page under their character bios that both Haru and Sora do not know how to swim. In fact, earlier in Nao's arc, Haruka almost drowns/dies in the beach scene.

-Never fully explained how they got out of the lake. I would be curious to someone who played the VN's take on this. I read a summary written by a person who played it, but it was not very conclusive on this and on whether or not they were alive. My question is basically if the VN left any room for interpretation like the series did.

-As for why Kazuha would fake the text message, here is one possibility: Since Nao and Kozue told Haru that they were against their relationship, it may be possible that Kazuha wanted to protect them from believing that they had caused their deaths. Perhaps others too were against their relationship, at the very least it was never shown that anyone actually approved of their relationship while they were still around.

-I think the significance of the rabbit is explained well here:
Krandal said:

The problem with just buying a new rabbit is that it was a memento from her mother (if I remember correctly). Another rabbit that looked the same would hold no sentimental value...

To add to that, Sora's rabbit was nearly burned in Nao's arc. Sora was distraught to the point that Nao rushed into the burning hut, risking her life to save the rabbit. I think this highlights just how important to Sora that rabbit was. I find it hard to believe she could simply replace a memento like that with another.

-When the twin's friends visit their house after they left, Haru's bed is still left unmade and Sora's room is still trashed, with eviscerated bunny and all. Why, if they left for a long trip out of the country, could they not take the time to pack up all their belongings and at least clean up and repair their house.

-This is not evidence, but it is strange to think that they would just leave the country and live with a random person their parents worked with seems strange.

Arguments against their death (not my own):

-Another bunny could have been bought

-The text at the end was from Haru

-They were depicted as alive at the end.

-If they did die, I find it hard to explain how the local police was not involved, which would have caused some commotion in the village, at least to the point where their friends would notice.

My conclusion: As a person who has not played the VN and does not know how/if they differ, I can only draw my reasoning from the anime and related sources. The theme, especially the music in the anime was very bittersweet to me. It is almost like a song for the dead in its tone. The series itself is very mature and the setup towards a tragic end is there because of the overall tone and the tragic circumstances of their parents death. If one were to believe that they were alive -- which, I believe, is the easier of the two to swallow -- there is evidence that would have to be ignored to believe that this were true.
Dec 21, 2010 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
They are alive as it was shown at the end.
Dec 21, 2010 10:12 AM

Aug 2010
I believe they are dead. I don't buy the "they bought a completely identical bunny somewhere" theory, and also find it strange that they left the house as it was. The episode was titled To the Distant Sky if I recall correctly, and it could symbolize an afterlife, not to mention the lake had a myth about it. No solid evidence, it's just a feeling.
Dec 21, 2010 10:16 AM

Jul 2008
mkdizz said:

LOL Indeed, the omake ED's been spoiling this ever since the first episode. lol
Dec 21, 2010 11:06 AM

Oct 2009
Mogami-kun said:
I believe they are dead. I don't buy the "they bought a completely identical bunny somewhere" theory, and also find it strange that they left the house as it was. The episode was titled To the Distant Sky if I recall correctly, and it could symbolize an afterlife, not to mention the lake had a myth about it. No solid evidence, it's just a feeling.

Really hard to believe that 2 completely black bunnies without any distinctive pattern on them could exist in this world, eh ?
As for the house, they left it as it was simply because they didn't care to fix it.
Also, "To the Distant Sky' refers to the sky above Europe, as I believe that's where they're going.
Dec 21, 2010 12:05 PM
Oct 2010
"To the Distant Sky" translates to "Haruka na Sora e". It's a play on their names, just like every other episode title. Nothing more.

And yes, they're alive.
Dec 21, 2010 12:18 PM
Aug 2010
SurferDude said:
Mogami-kun said:

Really hard to believe that 2 completely black bunnies without any distinctive pattern on them could exist in this world, eh ?
As for the house, they left it as it was simply because they didn't care to fix it.
Also, "To the Distant Sky' refers to the sky above Europe, as I believe that's where they're going.

Agree. They do go to Europe, hence why I think they're alive. :)
Dec 21, 2010 12:54 PM

Nov 2010
i'd say they're alive, i mean, Sora's room is still a mess because she stayed in Haru's room till they left. Her room was a disaster, from shreaded cloaths to shattered windows, i wouldn't stay in that room, nor fix it up if i was leaving.
Also, i think it's more likely they bought a second bunny than someone faking a detailed travel text in a town where only 2 or 3 people have cell phones, and none of them knew about the relationship at the time they went to the lake.

i also don't buy the afterlife being an exact copy of the earth, including planes and trains XD
Dec 21, 2010 1:04 PM

Apr 2009
The ending was similar to the one in the vn, so - yes. They are alive.

Dec 21, 2010 1:28 PM

Jul 2010
I wonder..
But in the anime Haru clearly stated that they have not much money left..
To travel from Japan to Europe is hella expensive though.. damn this ending is messing up my head..
Also i think it's impossible for them to text Kazura...
Remember when Haru was looking for Sora.. he still has his cell phone with him, as well as Sora, they went right into the lake without taking their cell phones out, obviously their cell phones would be wet and broken to work...
And the village is not any modern city that sells cell phones.. and I doubt they had time to buy another one before reaching their destination.. any thoughts?
CalibDec 21, 2010 1:39 PM
Dec 21, 2010 3:25 PM

Oct 2009
Calib said:
I wonder..
But in the anime Haru clearly stated that they have not much money left..
To travel from Japan to Europe is hella expensive though.. damn this ending is messing up my head..
Also i think it's impossible for them to text Kazura...
Remember when Haru was looking for Sora.. he still has his cell phone with him, as well as Sora, they went right into the lake without taking their cell phones out, obviously their cell phones would be wet and broken to work...
And the village is not any modern city that sells cell phones.. and I doubt they had time to buy another one before reaching their destination.. any thoughts?

Nowhere does it say that Kazuha got that message the very next day. In fact, any number of days could have passed between the lake scene and the trip to Europe.
Enough time to buy a new phone or send the message from a computer somewhere.
As for the money for the trip, they could have asked that friend of their father (or their aunt or uncle) to lend it to them until they settle down and Haru finds a job. It's as simple as that.
Dec 21, 2010 4:58 PM

Nov 2010
I voted for "no". While I still love to see them alive but there are lots of evidences that against their survival. It is much safer to assume that they are dead.

By the way, it is supposed to be a happy ending, regardless what actually happened to them. Just like School Days people can accept it as "happy" ending where Kotonoha is able to have Makoto for herself, albeit only his head. The same thing actually happened in YnS as the twins were able to be together forever in heaven. Surprisingly people seems to like SD's ending more than YnS one since it had bloodbath and psycho yandere killer while YnS had none of those. Only twins commiting suicide in the cold lake and their corpses are never recovered.
Dec 21, 2010 5:17 PM

Jan 2010
Blackiris said:
The ending was similar to the one in the vn, so - yes. They are alive.

they alive........
Dec 21, 2010 6:01 PM

Sep 2008
entropy13 said:
mkdizz said:
LOL Indeed, the omake ED's been spoiling this ever since the first episode. lol
Wow, how did I not notice that.
Dec 21, 2010 6:23 PM

Jun 2009
I think Akira saved them, as if you'd notice she noticed someone was there since Haru left the gate open. She probably went around the back to the lake to investigate and caught a sight of them going under. She dived in and rescued them, and then ran off to get help (thus why she wasn't there when they woke up.)

As for the bunny, if I had a stuffed toy that held sentimental value to me but I tore it up and ended up regretting it, then my incestuous brother bought me a replacement to make me feel better I would definitely take it! :|
Dec 21, 2010 6:32 PM

Sep 2010
To be honest i really do think there are far to many things pointed to them being dead but it all seems a little to convenient if they really are dead. So my opinion stays that they are indeed alive. How? I don't have a damn clue im thinking Sora did something maybe because if i recall right she was already awake before Haru and was saying how she thought he would not wake up and was scared he was dead. That is just my input on the matter.

Great show ill really miss it.
Dec 21, 2010 7:59 PM

Jul 2010
I don't think it was realistic that sora had the strength to save Haru but whatever. hmmm... Maybe the Lake was mystically and they were reborn and it spat them out. The only other thing I could think of is that they were saved. If you look at the end credits it shows Nao I think saving them from a lake.(why would they put that in?)

Anyway I don't think their dead, or to me there wasn't enough evidence pointing to that.
Dec 21, 2010 11:27 PM

Jul 2009
I think they just ran out on their budget :P
Dec 22, 2010 1:43 AM

Nov 2010
Post removed - it deformed the layout of the page. Next time use spoiler tags.

-Chavez.
ChavezJan 29, 2011 6:22 AM
Dec 22, 2010 5:36 AM

Nov 2010
^Actually the other one is actually cabbage with buttons for eyes and leeks for legs.
Dec 22, 2010 6:04 AM

Dec 2007
This is an interesting topic. I suppose it depends upon how you interpret the facts. I also have not read the manga (I plan to change that), nor have I played the VN (unlikely to happen unless I can get it working with ATLAS). Only going off the limited information in the anime, it seems as though the writers didn't want people to be able to come to a definitive conclusion. Kinda like it better that way.

Again remember that I'm only going off the info in the anime, but from what I see there....how did they get out of the water? Neither of them can swim, and Nao didn't know they were there. The only thing I can think of is either Sora somehow figured out how to sputter her way to shore with her brother in tow (not impossible if the adrenaline were really pumping and the survival instinct kicked in), or maybe Akira saved them. She was alerted to somebody's presence when Haru came by...it's possible she could have gotten there in time, though...it doesn't seem she'd be strong enough to nab both of them out of the water and drag them to shore.

I wouldn't take too many cues from the bunny. For one, Sora destroyed it, which I take to mean that she was ready to part with her sadness from the past. The bunny was a memento from her parents, not from Haru. Perhaps it was some sort of wish that she weren't related to him, so their love wouldn't be so stifled. If they did live, the pain of remaining in that town might have been so great that they just left immediately. The house looked cleaned out, though...maybe they just couldn't bring themsleves to go back in that room?

Also, Akira did mention the lake as a place to restart one's life. Maybe they did die. Perhaps the scene at the end of them riding off into the sunset on a train, and the bit at the lake after they got out of the water, was some sort of remade reality for their spirits, who were suddenly, finally able to be together. Then again, if one were to take all of what we saw completely literally, it certainly seems as though they survived.

It's all about your interpretation, but it's fun to muse over. I'm just glad that when Haru opened the door to Sora's room, I didn't see what I was completely expecting to see. I assumed he'd find her post-suicide.
Dec 22, 2010 11:23 AM

Oct 2009
^ Dead people can't send text messages. Also, Sora CAN swim, they just didn't show it in the anime. They're alive.
Dec 22, 2010 12:25 PM

Oct 2010
I personally believe that they are alive. The way i see the rabbit thing is that instead of destroying the real one and buying another, Sora bought/found another one and destroyed that one instead. I honestly don't think that if it were such an important item to her that she would ruin it. Also the reason I suspect that they left the house in ruins is because they might of went directly to the train station instead of returning home first. And agreeing with all of the other people who have said this, there is a very small chance that no one would find out about their deaths.
My burning passion shall continue to live as long as there is one growing rose.
Dec 28, 2010 3:03 AM

Jun 2010
"Buying another exactly the same bunny in a short span of time theory" is not really the simplest answer if it is based on occam's razor. The train they were on was the one going away from the town. They were not seen by most if not all of the town folks immediately after the lake scene.
Dec 28, 2010 10:58 PM

Feb 2008
Just to say to a few people. Their = possessive, they're = they are. And keep in mind, the "going straight to the train from the lake" theory also doesn't work. Haru has a suitcase beside him on the train.
Jun 15, 2011 6:14 AM
Jun 2011
Personally if the anime didn't confirm whether they're alive or not leads me to believe them BEING alive isn't the point in the ending (just like Inception's ending, where the movie doesn't show whether the top actually falls or not. Later the movie producer guy said that whether it falls or not is NOT the point, etc etc)

The point of the ending, like Nao said, is more related to finding their happiness together and can't stop falling in love with one another.

But if I had to say whether they're alive or not, I'd have to say no
Jun 16, 2011 2:39 AM

Jan 2011
This is a pretty stupid topic IMO of course they are alive they live in the game and manga so of course they are alive

Sora can swim just fine btw http://www.zerochan.net/242737 only person who had problems swimming was Haru. Just because Haru wanted to die doesn't mean Sora did. IF they were dead it wouldn't have showed the girl getting a text message about Haru updating them on how they are doing.
VioLinkJun 17, 2011 3:09 PM
[center]
Jun 17, 2011 6:14 PM

Jan 2011

that should shut everyone up. DEAD PEOPLE CAN'T BE OVERSEAS
[center]
Jul 9, 2011 5:44 AM
Nov 2009
I think they are alive, but born again if you know what I mean? as if they lost their lives but regained it.
Jul 10, 2011 7:30 AM

Mar 2011
VioLink said:
DEAD PEOPLE CAN'T BE OVERSEAS
Aug 10, 2011 1:13 AM
Aug 2011
Yes.They're alive...?
Aug 18, 2011 5:10 AM

Sep 2010
Another fact that makes it sure they're alive: the manga states clearly that they are alive, so it's 100% sure.
Aug 19, 2011 10:17 AM
Aug 2011
Gaidai said:
Akira saved them. She was alerted to somebody's presence when Haru came by...it's possible she could have gotten there in time, though...it doesn't seem she'd be strong enough to nab both of them out of the water and drag them to shore.

In the first episode it shows Akira carrying 4 giant grocery bags and deliverying them.
Aug 19, 2011 1:47 PM

Jun 2008
VioLink said:

that should shut everyone up. DEAD PEOPLE CAN'T BE OVERSEAS

EMChamp said:
Arguments for their death:

-As for why Kazuha would fake the text message, here is one possibility: Since Nao and Kozue told Haru that they were against their relationship, it may be possible that Kazuha wanted to protect them from believing that they had caused their deaths. Perhaps others too were against their relationship, at the very least it was never shown that anyone actually approved of their relationship while they were still around.
Aug 20, 2011 11:56 AM

Apr 2011
i think they were reborn i that lake like akira said ...
Aug 20, 2011 11:59 AM

Apr 2010
No, they were killed by a bear while having sex in the woods just ten minutes after the show ended.

Aug 25, 2011 11:42 AM

May 2011
As some people here have already mentioned, it doesn't really matter whether they're dead or alive. That's not what the ending focused on and that's why a lot of people are confused. Simply put, the ending was about them finally finding happiness together.

So it's really for the viewers to decide wheter they're alive or not. If you want to believe they're alive; then they're alive. If you want to believe they died in that lake, then they have died. Simple as that.

Personally however, I think they survived. They survive in the VN and manga, so I don't see a reason why it should be any different in the anime.
"The feels man, the feels..."
Oct 14, 2011 10:47 AM

Oct 2011
I would really have preferred that they died in the ending... to make it more dramatic... it's a tragic love story after all... why not end it in the most dramatic way?... and that also would have made a more substantial conclusion for the story... in my humble opinion...
Oct 18, 2011 9:35 PM
Sep 2009
Of course they're still alive! They're having hot, underwater twincest sex!
Nov 29, 2011 12:06 PM
Jul 2010
I don't know, so I guess I'll have to trust the people saying they survive in the VN and the manga. I do however believe that the two of them dying would have constituted a more powerful ending.
Jul 8, 2014 11:18 AM
Jul 2014
I know a long late reply would somewhat bother, but i only want to put up my opinion

I believe they pretty much dead, because on the drowning scene Sora pretty much not breathing or struggling like people would normally do when drowning.

But that doesn't mean there's no possibility that Akira is the one that saved them
Aug 9, 2015 5:37 AM
Aug 2015
Arkiel said:
I know a long late reply would somewhat bother, but i only want to put up my opinion

I believe they pretty much dead, because on the drowning scene Sora pretty much not breathing or struggling like people would normally do when drowning.

But that doesn't mean there's no possibility that Akira is the one that saved them

Now that you mentioned it, Sora was the one who woke Haruka after the underwater scene. If she had died first, that means she reached afterlife first.
Aug 11, 2015 7:07 AM
Feb 2014
On top of that, when Haruka asked Sora "Are we alive?" she never answered.
Jun 29, 2017 9:38 PM
Jun 2017
I really really want to belive that ther are alive i watched the last episodes over and over then i realized on the last ep that haru asks sora if they are alive she didnt reply i hope they are alive i hope they make seasons 2 i know they wont but maybe in the future they will if lots of people i meant LOTS request it also just noticed that people posted this too
Jun 30, 2017 11:56 AM
Oct 2009
They ARE alive. They even sent their goodbye text to their friends before leaving, and we SAW them leaving.

What more, the sequel game Haruka na Sora, reveals what happened to them. At the end of it, Haruka and Sora are (somehow) married with a child on the way. I guess after they moved away, the made fake identifications so they could get married. Hopefully their kid won't come out deformed or anything.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nozomu - Oct 18, 2010

287 by DemhatTks16 »»
Apr 11, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 6, 2010

187 by Obscurantist »»
Apr 7, 12:16 PM

» How can I add hanime in the app (Android)

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 26

12 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 28, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Dunkmaru - Dec 20, 2010

513 by Rezete_01 »»
Feb 24, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Nov 22, 2010

230 by Rezete_01 »»
Feb 24, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.