Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2010 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
All I can say is WOW!

As far as atmosphere, mystery and horror go, Umezu lived up to his reputation of being the master of horror manga. Umezu showed as well a deep understanding of a child's mentality: they can be unreasonable, they can be selfish, they can be bratty, their innocence could belie a cruelty and they see the world in black and white. Yu was also so adorable, and a great addition to this rather dark title. And Sho's mother was just awesome; I was quite touched by Umezu's portrayal of the power of a mother's love and how she would go to any length to bring her son back.

I also thought the ending was bittersweet and beautiful; it may was not what we've been expecting and hoping for, but it left us with something to think about.

As awesome as this manga is, there were a few things towards the end that I felt it could've been handled better. Like how the mutants, who were portrayed to hate humans and kill them with no second thought, immediately retreated from the school after a corny speech from Sho, and it was never elaborated on how the bully girl turned into an old woman. Also, I was quite dissatisfied with how rushed the part with Otomo's confession was: when everyone thought it was Sho, who risked his life for them and struggled to keep them together, everyone wanted to kill him, but when it was Otomo who only caused trouble everyone suddenly became so understanding.

But even with those flaws, The Drifting Classroom is highly recommended, and even after four decades it's still better than the majority of the newer titles out there.
removed-userOct 26, 2010 8:49 AM
Dec 2, 2010 6:25 PM

Jun 2010
I pretty much enjoyed the whole series except near the ending, things were a bit rushed such as love confessions and the mutants just "stopped" attacking. I really liked it though =)
Aug 10, 2013 6:22 PM

Aug 2013
As a horror manga it didn't really do much for me.
Apr 22, 2014 4:05 AM

Jul 2008
Horrorreader91 said:
As a horror manga it didn't really do much for me.

Felt the same
Nov 7, 2015 10:47 AM

Jun 2011
This series was rather disappointing given the fact that it was awarded, but I suppose this is the best 1975 could do. The overall message is not bad, especially regarding its global environmental aspect.

The serious flaw with this manga is the illogical events and its characters imo. The characters are very very annoying, and mind you, I have taken in mind that they are kids below 12. Everyone seems to create drama out of nowhere, after one has been solved. It happened all the time.

Other illogical events such as supernatural occurrence, unrealistic knowledge on certain stuff, monsters, or the out of place romance development within the final few chapters. I really had to force myself through a lot of annoying chapters. Also, if you remember, the kitchen was in the block with Sho back when Sho and Otomo divide themselves into two faction. There was no way Otomo's gang could have survived longer than Sho's gang could, and Sho's gang was on their verge of dying, Otomo's gang should have been dead. How the hell is Sekiya still alive after so many days? He was wasting foods and shit, he should have been dead sooner than any others.

It was annoying that this manga tried to be smart, but fell short of its own idiocy. No offense meant there.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 29, 2015 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
Personas said:
I pretty much enjoyed the whole series except near the ending, things were a bit rushed such as love confessions and the mutants just "stopped" attacking. I really liked it though =)

Felt the same... still prefer Saki x Sho <3
Dec 27, 2016 8:55 AM

May 2016
I picked up this manga because it was number 1 in a Top 10 Horror Manga list. While I expected something more...horrific and grotesque, I was impressed and not disappointed after completing it. I was particularly hesitant because I tend to not like things older than the 90's. Heck, it's literally as old as my mother yet I still found The Drifting Classroom to be a good read.

I had hopes that they would be able to come back but it was not to be... at least it was partially fulfilled with Yu returning with Sho's journal. How they were running in the stars was such a bittersweet moment that I struggled ta not shed tears because I think that they're finally going to a better future just like in the movies~ The gift from the sky was confusingly unexpected but when it was explained...the feels ='(

I have to agree that the ending feels rushed with all the events that transpired within the last volume. The disembodied arm with half a face of a co-burglar from the beginning that was just revealed in the last chapter finally managed to kill that goddamn Sekiya. Of all things to kill him, that was ridiculous xD Otomo made a 180° despite being a douche the whole story and starting this whole mess but I can't help but like him a little bit...

Turns out that they were the chosen ones to rebuild the future, a seed of hope for the barren wasteland that used to be earth. This manga conveyed a strong message to care about our planet before it can turn out like this. I respect that.

The supernatural aspects like the centipede, mutant attacks and the unexplained psychic powers must've been there to increase the spook factor and science fiction feel. It's the 70's we're talking about so our style of horror today should be different from theirs. That ride was groovy tho :3

May 25, 2017 12:46 AM

Jan 2014
Despite the uplifting ending, I don't trust that these kids aren't going to try to kill each other again.
Jul 19, 2019 6:06 AM

Jan 2018
Pretty great manga overall despite the open ending. Fun experience as I've been getting each volume from my library over the past 4 months and I'm really satisfied now that it's over.

8/10
Jan 5, 2020 8:00 PM

May 2012
This manga was really interesting and had no problem reading it entirely, but man the characters were dumb.

Sure they were kids so they were prone to do dumb stuff, but even the adults were stupid.

Worst yet, Sho is the type of character i hate the most...the "pure hero". The type of character the no matter how many times someone tries to kill him, he will not try kill back that person and will even risky his life to try save him, For me this is just too stupid, i hate this a lot. Sekiya was a bastard that would kill any of them without thinking twice, but Sho still saved him (when he had the black plague) and still wanted to fight others so they would not use him as a lab rat.

Otomo did so much shit near the end and Sho could not bring himself to kill him no matter how many times Otomo tried to kill him. Otomo also caused the deaths of many students because of kept inciting them to do violent stuff when they were already prone to do that.

Many plot points were strange to say the least...how the fuck that mans arm and eyes were fine? How the hell it flew to attack Sekiya? What happened to the Princess (the bully girl) who got old? The fact that the school was sent to the future just because a dynamite some kid made is bonkers too. I didn't like this...i thought the reason they went to the future would be something more interesting.

Also the biggest question...why Otomo would be inside the school he was trying to blow up?

6/10 is fair enough for me.
I despise woke people.
Aug 15, 2020 10:20 PM

Jun 2017
I don't mind ambiguous endings and I actually love bittersweet ones; but you can't deny, it was utterly rushed! There were several things left unexplained and the worse of it all was that apparition of the arm and the half of the face. That thing should've been clarified how it came to be so that it won't ridiculously become a deus ex machina!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Feb 2, 2021 3:13 AM
Sep 2013
I do not see how this manga is popular or praised at all. It’s horrible it is honestly one of the worst mangas I’ve had the displeasure to read. Nothing made sense, nothing was scary because at no point were you ever given a feeling of hope not till near the end and then they’re just like yeah nah fuck it staying here.

Writing wise it’s horrible and is the laziest form of writing which is just babble it’s nonsense in written form just to fill the pages. None of the characters are redeemable and honestly would have been a better read if they all just bloody died at the start.

Kids killing themselves isnt horror when done in the most pathetic lazy way.

Logic doesn’t exist in this manga. Horror doesn’t exist in this manga and honest to god I feel people are only liking this manga to troll everyone else no self respecting reader or horror lover or writer could think this is good.
Apr 4, 2021 8:33 AM
Apr 2021
SleepySnowSpirit said:
what?!

it started off so good too...they all wanted to go home and cried now one chapter they had a change in heart and can stay lol ok, obviously rushed

what was that side story at the end with the doll woody?
yeah that last chapter was a bit weird and creepy lmao
May 12, 2021 7:52 AM
Mar 2020
KaeUBW said:
This manga was really interesting and had no problem reading it entirely, but man the characters were dumb.

Sure they were kids so they were prone to do dumb stuff, but even the adults were stupid.

Worst yet, Sho is the type of character i hate the most...the "pure hero". The type of character the no matter how many times someone tries to kill him, he will not try kill back that person and will even risky his life to try save him, For me this is just too stupid, i hate this a lot. Sekiya was a bastard that would kill any of them without thinking twice, but Sho still saved him (when he had the black plague) and still wanted to fight others so they would not use him as a lab rat.

Otomo did so much shit near the end and Sho could not bring himself to kill him no matter how many times Otomo tried to kill him. Otomo also caused the deaths of many students because of kept inciting them to do violent stuff when they were already prone to do that.

Many plot points were strange to say the least...how the fuck that mans arm and eyes were fine? How the hell it flew to attack Sekiya? What happened to the Princess (the bully girl) who got old? The fact that the school was sent to the future just because a dynamite some kid made is bonkers too. I didn't like this...i thought the reason they went to the future would be something more interesting.

Also the biggest question...why Otomo would be inside the school he was trying to blow up?

6/10 is fair enough for me.

"how the fuck that mans arm and eyes were fine?" Chapter 42, page 43. the news talks about 2 burglars who were trying to burglarize the school, however, as they were trying to leave, the school dissapeared with a loud explosion. One of them died, while the other burglar had a half of his face and arm caught in the explosion and was part of the future ever since. "How the hell it flew to attack Sekiya?" Chapter 43, page 28. He clearly said that he made the half of his face and arm sneak in one of the kid's backpacks, then he killed sekiya because he was trying to get in their way yet he got his arm stabbed by him, but it all worked out. THe real question is: just how did the old man they saw in the room in the underground subway survive? especially the Princess? like on what happened to the rest of her gang and why she went back to school? just what was that huge snake like creature that they saw that ate all the mutants? and what was that stench?
TheShrimpsterMay 12, 2021 8:10 AM
May 12, 2021 8:07 AM
Mar 2020
llama612 said:
I do not see how this manga is popular or praised at all. It’s horrible it is honestly one of the worst mangas I’ve had the displeasure to read. Nothing made sense, nothing was scary because at no point were you ever given a feeling of hope not till near the end and then they’re just like yeah nah fuck it staying here.

Writing wise it’s horrible and is the laziest form of writing which is just babble it’s nonsense in written form just to fill the pages. None of the characters are redeemable and honestly would have been a better read if they all just bloody died at the start.

Kids killing themselves isnt horror when done in the most pathetic lazy way.

Logic doesn’t exist in this manga. Horror doesn’t exist in this manga and honest to god I feel people are only liking this manga to troll everyone else no self respecting reader or horror lover or writer could think this is good.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "horror doesnt exist in this manga", because it really was horrific like the cannibalism and the appendix surgery which was very grotesque which makes it horror, what youre saying is quite subjective. Saying a horror manga isnt horror, thats just wrong. why do you think this was even awarded? sure, the deaths of the kids were "done lazily"(even though most of those deaths were really gruesome), but what kind of intense horror that doesnt have deaths that heavily contributes to the dark realistic atmosphere of the story? Also what do you mean by theres no logic in this manga?? keep in mind this is
sci-fi and supernatural, surely you know what the genres are, yeah? Since you dont know, you become ignorant by saying this doesnt have "logic". But oh well, idiots have their own opinions i guess.
TheShrimpsterMay 12, 2021 8:16 AM
May 29, 2021 6:55 AM
May 2020
Interesting story, great background art,
but poor execution. 5/10
Sep 1, 2023 1:53 PM
Oct 2019
I enjoyed this manga more than I thought I would. The art was nice too. My only wish would be seeing how the kids are doing in the other world, but I enjoyed the conclusion anyway. 7.5/10.
Nov 21, 2023 1:07 PM

Apr 2016
I will tell things how they are.

It's a great manga, it inspired the anime Sonny Boy which i preferred because

The best moment of this manga was watching the small kid having high testosterone at the end, and wanting to return to the main world no matter what the other retards thought, and he did...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouryuu Kyoushitsu Chapter 34 Discussion

KoniginElle - Jul 30, 2020

2 by iamupinacloud »»
Mar 15, 3:36 PM

» are there any similar manga to this?

sunsetocean - Sep 19, 2015

5 by H_Castaigne »»
Oct 2, 2023 11:57 AM

Poll: » Hyouryuu Kyoushitsu Chapter 18 Discussion

KoniginElle - Jul 17, 2020

2 by iamupinacloud »»
Apr 18, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » Hyouryuu Kyoushitsu Chapter 3 Discussion

KoniginElle - Jul 9, 2020

2 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 16, 2023 9:10 PM

Poll: » Hyouryuu Kyoushitsu Chapter 24 Discussion

KoniginElle - Jul 23, 2020

1 by florentzelda »»
Jul 16, 2021 5:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.