Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2010 11:29 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved the Adventures

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 27, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2015

Freaking unforgettable even if it just lasted half a second. Arc best mech
The enjoyable kind of bad, I guess. Even that wincest came in handy.
Jan 23, 2018 7:57 AM

May 2011
Andromeda Stories tried to establish a moral ambiguity behind the robotoid's agenda. Could have been interesting, if it wasn't utterly nullified by the possessed, shown as uncaring (the midwife's companions openly mocking the pregnant queen giving birth to the twins) and murderous (the king killing his dog and allowing the massacre of refugees instead of struggling for their robot conversion). We are never fooled that maybe, the good side might be wrong and should just give up.
Besides, the conflict is way too one-sided because the robots have no setback which would at least delay their production. We are never led into believing the human might stand a chance, which is emotionally disengaging.

Jimsa is an unlikable asshole overall, because of how narcissistic and selfish he is, only thinking about himself, his mom and what seems to be good by his book... Even though the Cosmoranian people sacrifice their lives to keep him by their sides for guidance. The crypto incest ending just made feel all the more nauseous about him.

As a straightforward experience, it's not very well plotted (How come Il knew that the royal family and the midwife would be going to be trapped inside a crushing bubble wall? Why the robots don't just use this technique to kill humans instead of sending their own on the front? Why showing Il risks its life in the robot assembly line if it has absolutely zero consequence in the plotline? How come the robots manage to level so many bases but aren't damned to localize an emergency shelter? Later on, why the twin brother and sister part ways, even though they are certain that they're siblings in need of each other?). This anime has too many plot devices (the mech Jimsa find randomly are just that, really) and a cornucopia of plot conveniences. Nay, this anime is just bad.

I much prefer Love Position https://myanimelist.net/anime/5878/Love_Position__Halley_Densetsu?q=love%20posi
An anime movie having a similar Shinto mystic. It's much more of a compelling watch.
Jan 6, 2020 5:40 PM
Jun 2014
and after all did anyone figure out why even Koof was a robot?? i mean what the..?? so many things unexplained. the only thing i expected was the incest right from the start when queen's brother was feeling like he was losing the love of his life, well ok!
Feb 19, 2020 12:38 PM

Jan 2014
This special was quite a bizarre brutal blend of a beast of genres and themes but I think I enjoyed it for the most part despite some rough parts and several gaps in logic XD

Fantasy meets Sci-Fi in instances I have seen it (and to be fair those instances are not numerous) are usually awkward and rather jarring also it usually have a power imbalance like if this space age technology is so incredible why not use it over magic and vice versa if the magic is more useful/powerful. However, here it is more of a Science remaking the world as the original magic oriented citizens attempt to survive.

Reminds me of certain specials/tv movies from the 90s that made the most of pushing darker elements into them and this special certainly has them this whole thing is a damn tragedy on the levels of mass extinction with a small glimmer of hope towards the end.

The idea of a man made Mother computer infecting the minds of people with her mechanized children and eventually converting them into machines creating this artificial happiness all due to her following her original order of making humans happy is quite a heavy subject matter. Convert those you can and kill those who threaten your plan and will not give into the conversion and break/wear down the spirit of survivors so they give in and accept the conversion quite intense to say the least!

I mean seriously we have mechanical fish feasting on people, lazer beams obliterating people, genocide of the mind and soul, what it means to be human and could a man made machine truly create happiness and even befriending a different species of machines to help in the quest these are a lot of concepts to work into about an hour and a half run time!

Il was quite a beauty X3 and badass as well would loved to have known more about her android origins; maybe she was one of the earliest to be converted so the process failed to be a perfect conversion to machine so maybe she was similar to Koof in that regard as it was ultimately revealed.

I like how protective Jimsa was of his mother Lilia (who was a beauty in her own right who positively glowed ^-^) and it was so tragic when the Mother Machine inhabiting the idol of their culture's God infected her mind by showing her how content her husband and brother were as part of her conversion. It would be enough to break the heart of anyone who has been struggling to survive to give in to that level of temptation. Thankfully Jimsa had a stronger desire to live and renewed sense of purpose finding out he had a sister Affle!

And it turns out this whole special was a prequel to one of the biggest franchises out their our own XD yep the prequel to Earth and Humanity! And just like Adam and Eve we were created from the DNA of . . . . . Wincest!?! o-O LOL well that is . . . something . . .

Seriously though this special could be prime for a remake as a full fledged mini series or something to that effect just have to tighten up the writing and use the basis of its ideas with a passionate team and you could have an incredible product on your hands Toei! I mean you are apparently remaking Digimon Adventure so why not :D overall pretty enjoyable albeit depressing and hopeful yet strange say we say but I think I might revisit this one in the future sometime :3

Aug 30, 2020 1:55 PM

Sep 2016
I wonder if the pacing issues are due to the adaptation being forced to cram an entire plot into a 1.5 hr movie... or, conversely, whether the source manga was just as much of a fever dream.
Yet these hands will never hold anything.
Thus I pray, Unlimited Waifu Works!

Sep 2, 2022 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
nerdokingoftrash said:
I wonder if the pacing issues are due to the adaptation being forced to cram an entire plot into a 1.5 hr movie... or, conversely, whether the source manga was just as much of a fever dream.

manga has more details but even then Anime made many questionable changes that could have been avoided and fit in 1.5 hour format regardless.

Especially the ending is very different. They simplify the Anime a lot this way.

anyway I read the manga only to see the Anime differences.
the Anime does worse in the scene

The movie was distributed in some European countries in the 80s as a kids sci-fi movie on video yet it was way too violent At least 13 pg rating. More violent than the manga too.
I saw it when I was 7-8 years old and was shocked. Strangely they translated Ir as Hera and I thought she was indeed the ancient Greek goddess!

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.