Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 27, 2010 2:30 PM

Aug 2009
He is supose to be the devil right?
I'm just an immortal kind of guy...
Sep 28, 2010 1:40 PM

Mar 2010
Well he's the one who makes things happen :P If a person doesn't know which side to choose he pushes that person to one side, good or bad.

You COULD say that he's a devil, but i think he has his reasons to be that kind of character :D (although all devil characters wear coats.. what's up with coats.. O_o)
Sep 28, 2010 1:46 PM

Aug 2008
Lylaaz said:
Well he's the one who makes things happen :P If a person doesn't know which side to choose he pushes that person to one side, good or bad.

You COULD say that he's a devil, but i think he has his reasons to be that kind of character :D (although all devil characters wear coats.. what's up with coats.. O_o)

because if they didnt wear coats theyd be cold
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Sep 28, 2010 11:54 PM

Aug 2009
Lylaaz said:

I'm just an immortal kind of guy...
Jan 14, 2011 1:10 PM

Sep 2010
oh, i love izaya, i think he's more for god then the devil
Jan 15, 2011 7:13 AM

Jan 2011
PersonaThanatos said:

^^ I like this post!
Izaya FTW! He's awesome!

Mar 1, 2011 11:22 PM

Mar 2009
In the series, yeah he would be the devil. Not evil enough to qualify as a devil though, in my opinion.
Mar 2, 2011 8:58 AM

Jul 2010
He is Prince Baka's teacher and has Kyubey for a pet. ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Mar 3, 2011 12:00 AM

Jul 2009
I don't think he would be classified as the devil figure. If anything, Shingen Kishitani (Shinra's Father) seems more like the devil figure, yet it doesn't seem he's selfish enough to classify as it. Izaya leans more toward being the jester figure, but the story isn't centered around Shingen enough for him to be a 'devil figure' unless your classifications vary enough from mine.

I don't think many of the characters in the series can be defined simply, because the characters really have personalities, albeit complicated ones, in my opinion, complicated enough for their personalities to feel real.

I don't think Izaya is the 'devil'. As of yet I don't believe there is a singular devil figure, unless you're callous enough to list all antagonists as devil figures.
Mar 6, 2011 11:22 PM

Jan 2011
I don't think so. Izaya is just psychopathic.
He likes toying with people, to see how they react.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 7, 2011 5:22 AM

Jan 2010
I totaly agree on what Perplexed said.
'Cause I think Izaya himself mentioned it in the second Ep.
Only Humans think they are in the position to decide
between Evil and Good. Basically it means we can call everybody the 'devil'
if we change the point of view.
Mar 19, 2011 2:46 PM

Jan 2011
AmberFebruary said:

This.
I really think someone should draw a fanart of Psychedelic!Izaya and Kyubey.

About the devil thing...well. Lemme think.
I guess you could say he is the devil of DRRR!!, because as I see it the devil doesn't necessarily have to intend to kill people. The devil wants to lead people on the wrong path of life, and that is exactly what Izaya is doing. His psychology is something really fascinating in my opinion, he manipulates his victims, but in the end it were the victims' own decisions that caused so much pain for them.
I think in the prologue of the fourth DRRR!! novel Izaya himself did a really good job at explaining this aspect about his character. He pushes people. He just pushes them in one specific direction. What they do afterwards is all up to them, but usually it works out the way Izaya's intended it.

But in the end "devil" really is a strong word, as I wouldn't say Izaya is evil. To me he's more like...an imp. You know? Some kind of...trollish imp.
-content has been filtered for the use of inappropriate words or phrases-
Mar 19, 2011 3:05 PM

Sep 2009
AmberFebruary said:

THIS. OH GOD SO MUCH THIS.

And If anything, isn't Izaya a sort of ironic advocate of Free Will? 'Free' meaning 'manipulated for Izaya's maximum entertainment' lol.
Mar 19, 2011 6:55 PM

Mar 2010
He just happens to take pleasure in having power over people and observing their reactions. His passion and lack of compassion make him a sadistic asshole. And a clever one at that. I adore Izaya.

I don't see the need to compare him to symbolic figures. /shrug. I don't think that was intented in the first place.

Hey, Baka Ouji's way of trolling is of a different world, I wouldn't compare the two. q:

H y a h h a a !
Mar 20, 2011 9:17 AM
Oct 2010
Izaya's just trying to have fun so he uses people. That's all, I think.
Oct 31, 2011 5:38 PM

Aug 2011
Izaya is a god.
Nov 3, 2011 10:16 AM

Dec 2009
He is annoying as hell.
Nov 3, 2011 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not sure, all I know is that he's awesome. :')
Apr 23, 2013 10:06 PM

Oct 2012
Thanatos-XIII said:

NihonFalcom said:
Izaya is a god.

I agree with both of you XD

Izaya-Orihara said:
Ooh my lovely humans, you're making me blush (*´∀`*) ~

No, Izaya never blushed you fake XD
"Signature removed"
Apr 24, 2013 5:12 PM
Apr 2013
I feel that Izaya is more of a curious and crazy psychopath than a truly evil person. Almost everyone he manipulates and everything he does is just for the fun of it or to see what happens, rather than outright hatred or contempt (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SHIZUO). And I mean come on, he loves all humans remember? ;) He's one of my favorite characters ever!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

goldslaught - Jun 24, 2010

598 by dspr »»
May 4, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kanade-chan - Jun 10, 2010

335 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:47 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

206 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 4, 12:01 AM

» Seeking advice on watching order

Haemogoblin - Apr 28

4 by Haemogoblin »»
May 3, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - May 20, 2010

212 by Supremestrawhat »»
May 3, 11:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.