Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 26, 2013 12:18 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, so much things packed in one episode.
The fight scenes were amazing.

It was so sad that they got separated in the end. I didn't quite understand the ending though.....

9/10

I hope the second season isn't as shitty as everyone says.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jan 19, 2014 7:32 PM

Mar 2013
It's a good thing that I watched this first before season 2 since things were explained properly in the Gaiden. I felt for Hei for losing Yin. Hope to see them reunited in season 2.
Jan 20, 2014 3:25 PM

Nov 2013
This episode was totally amazing, as have been the other OVAs. I still have not watched the second season, but am about to. Have heard lots of comment about how it isn't as good, and little people seem to like it. Still have to figure that out for myself. That ending though!!! And I was totally overwhelmed when Yin said she loved Hei. I don't know if he says it back later on, but for some reason I totally get the vibe that he loves her back too. And not in the sisterly way many have interpreted, but more as something he doesn't wish to lose because she makes him complete. I seriously do hope that somehow they end up together. It's just so sweet the way Yin is devoted to him, and how he cares for her so deeply. HeixYin forever!!! :D
"The most painful lesson one can learn is letting go, but everything in this world is connected and nothing's truly ever gone. She will always be a part of me." -Eiri
Jan 25, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2013
huh?... wtf... I hope they explain things properly in the prequel...
Feb 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
To everyone who's doubting that Hei and Yin were a canon pairing in the series: Yin had feelings towards Hei since she said she loves him in this episode among other obvious facts. As far as Hei, there are too many suggestions subtle and not subtle to show that he also had romantic feelings for her. For example the cat/squirrel told Suou that everyone used to be partners back in the day but Hei and Yin were more than that. Another suggestion such as Yin holding and caressing a couple's baby in her hands and Hei looking at her and giving a smile (not something which he does often throughout the series), implying, as I would depict, that he would image her doing that to his child being the child's mother in some future. More obvious suggestions like Hei always stuttering when talking about Yin in the 2nd season, the characters referring to her as his girlfriend (even out of context), him trying to come to her as the main objective of the 2nd season, etc. Just because it wasn't clearly talked upon in the series doesn't mean it's not true.

Hei always tried to protect his sister and Suou (who, as he said, reminded him of his sister and himself), but also Yin. Other characters like Amber just circled around him since he is pretty pimpy.

As far as whether the author planned on Yin dying at the end, we can't say for certain due to interpretation but considering that smile Hei and Izanami shared at the end of season 2, I would say that Hei sorted things out without murder or at the very least just killed the black Yin (Izanami) and not the real Yin (the white one) - since Yin/Izanami did reincarnate into to a boy version.

Anyway, good series. Watched all of it in less than a week. Wanted something dark, and although it had depressing moments, it was still a great series. No rating, just an amazing series.
Apr 10, 2014 3:45 AM
Jan 2010
These specials were really good. From what I've heard of it, I have doubts about going into the second season. Really hope it doesn't ruin this series for me.
May 12, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2014
No other work of fiction has ever depressed me more than this OVA.
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Jun 7, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2012
Dem feels... Wishing for season 3.
Jul 7, 2014 1:09 AM

Oct 2013
am I the only one who really didn't care for this
???? at least she's nor dead
[/quote]
Sep 19, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Well, at least this ending is more clear than the one in season 2 xD Great episodes with tons of action and the Hei x Yin drama I was expecting.
Nov 3, 2014 1:26 PM

Aug 2013
Yin!!
9/10!
Just great.
Watched before season 2, I hope for... something...
rsc-plNov 3, 2014 1:48 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 21, 2014 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
maji_saikou said:
Waow, after watching this ep... There will be (100% sure) a sequel! WOOT

:'( Nope.

This episode just made me sad. The action was great, but that ending just made me depressed. Well, I know what happens in S2, so it's not all bad. I should probably rewatch S1 and S2 given that I haven't seen them in more than a year. :P
Mar 31, 2015 10:47 AM

Dec 2013
zimno said:
 ▼ ▌   ▊     ▲  ▋◥▍   ▍        ▌  ▉    █    ▊ ▼
 ▌ ▊   ▊      ▋  ▊  ▌   ▌   ▲  ▐◣   ▉    █    ▋ ▌
  ◢▉   ▋     ◢▌  ▊ ▲▋  ◥▋  ▍▋  ▌ ◥◣  ▊    ▉ ▲ ▐◣◥◣
  ▌▊   ▋     ▐▂▄▋ ▲▃▊   ▋ ▐▃▌ ▐▄▂▲ ▋     ▊  ▊ ▋
 ▍ ▐!  ▋ ◢   ▌ ▐◢▀    ▉  ▐◣ ▌▐ ▍    ◥▋     ▋   ▋ ▌
    ▌  ▋ ▍   ▐▂▄▃▃▃▄▂ ▼  ▌◥▌▲▲▃▃▄▂▌     ▌  ▲ ▍
    ▐◣ ▊ ▌  ▐◣ ▋▆▓▍ ▼  ◥◣ ▍ ▼ ▋▆▓▍ ▌   ▼  ◢◤▐◤
     ▍ ▉ ▋   ▐◣▲▃▲◤     ◥▎ ◥◣▲▃▲◢▌   ◢◤  ◢◤
    ▌ ▍ █ ▊ ◥◣ ▼                 ▼  ◢◤   ▼  5/5
    ▲◢▌ ▼ ▼ ▐◣▲       ◢▍        ▲◢▋    ▋
      ▋ ◢▊   ▲  ◢▀◣          ◢▀◣  ▲ ▌ ▐◣▌
      ▼ ▋ ▍  ▓▃ ▐ ▐◣ ◥▃▂ ▂▃◤ ◢▌ ▌ ▃▓  ▋ ▋
         ▐◤   ▓ ▓▅▌ ▌         ▌ ▐▅▓ ▓ ▊▼
         ▲◢◤▌▓ ▓ █  ▌        ▌ █ ▓ ▓◤
            ◥▓  ▓ ▉ ▐◣▂    ▂◢▋ ▊ ▓  ▓
            ▓   ▓ ▌ ▉ █▆▅▆█ █  ▋▓!  ▓
            ◥▓  ▓█ ◢◤ ◥████◤ ◥◣ █▓  ▓
           ▂▓▆██  ▂▅◤◥███◤◥▅▂  ██▆▓▂
       ▃▅▇██████!   ▂▃███▃▂    ██████▇▅▃
     ▂▅██████████     ▂██▂     ██████████▅▂

This. Nothing more. 5/5. 9/10. I LOVE YIN. YIN PLS MARRY ME. <3 YIN DAISUKI. #SAVEYIN
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jun 15, 2015 3:31 PM

May 2011
Just finished it. It was amazing, watching the whole relationship between Yin and Hei bloom was great. The ending made me a bit sad though... Now off to the second season. Can someone tell me if S2 ending is on the same level? I don't want to get depressed. I hope it's more lighthearted even if it's just by a bit.
Jun 19, 2015 1:17 AM

Aug 2014
The feels from just watching these 4 episodes alone..especially the ending...Here is to hoping S2 doesn't come with a sad ending :v I will definitely be disappointed if Hei ends up killing Yin :'(
Jul 15, 2015 7:51 PM

May 2015
I wish they told us that Yin was still alive at Season 2. The anticipation would kill, but it's fun finding out much later too.

Gave this a 9. One of the best specials I've ever watched. Like a mini-season 2.5.
Aug 4, 2015 3:37 PM

Jul 2014
Well, I watched this before Gemini of the Meteor, so I'm going in with per answered questions. This second season better not be what people are making it out to be.
Aug 15, 2015 11:09 AM
Jan 2015
Ok ..So this is my hyothesis: the awakening of Izanami splits Yin up in two: the evil Yin that can take lives and the second Yin that can awaken powers (hence the black and white).
What do you guys think?
Nov 15, 2015 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
New contractor why everyone is depressing.

Dec 2, 2015 3:47 AM
May 2012
Where is that flashback Hei keeps on remembering during season 2??
Well, DTB really needs a season 3. Lots of questions left unanswered.
I enjoyed the DTB Anime.
Dec 28, 2015 6:16 AM
Dec 2011
oh.. yin said it .. hei and yin forever this explain a lot but we still dont know "what exactly is the gate?" :3 10/10 :3
Dec 30, 2015 12:09 PM

Oct 2014
So confused right now.
Mar 5, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2014
Hei looks like a mess there :/

Pretty good OVA overall. Now I'm off to watch Gemini, I'm praying to God it isn't bad like everyone's saying lol.
Apr 7, 2016 2:05 PM
Apr 2016
Easily the best anime I've ever watched. I watched S1 to OVA to S2, and I just finished my fourth run through it all. The best explanations were written in this thread already. Here they are again:

1.) Yin's alter/supra ego is Izanami

2.) Shion's alter/supra ego is Izanagi

3.) Izanami, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of destruction. As we have seen, all Izanami pretty much does is kill or cause chaos (many bodies in her

wake)

4.) Izanagi, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of creation. As we have seen, Shion is able to create copies of people as well as a new earth (!!!)

5.) The two must meld together and become one again (for some greater purpose/fulfillment of prophesy. Maybe they were whole at one point in time and the appearance of

The Gate was a result of the sundering of the two halves (this has been a huge theme in literature and film i.e. The Dark Crystal).

6.) Hei has always said, regardless of the prophesy and other some such, that his goal was to kill Izanami...he never said he was going to kill Yin. He wants to

destroy that which separated him from Yin. When he says that he's going to kill her, HER is in quotes ("her").

7.) As Izanami draws Izanagi's and July's souls to her, Yin extends herself as a last ditch effort and appears and appeals to Hei to kill her because it's not too

late. Though she was not able to keep the awakening from happening like she did initially, she manages to send herself out one last time to Hei

8.) Misaki sees Hei's star shine exponentially brighter in the night sky than ever before. His powers and that of his sister have returned in full force (and then

some) and he has taken the meteor shard (either still in pieces from when Izanami broke Shuou's pendant or it formed into a whole piece again after the fact like it

did in season one when amber had broken it into pieces but it went back to being whole) to destroy Izunami via Yin's last ditch attempt to save this crazy world.

9.) Hei changes Izanami on a molecular level via Yin’s projection thus preventing the Iza/Iza binding.

10.) Soon after, we hear that another Gate has appeared (the twins call it out) because the actual completion of Izanami and Izanagi was prevented by Hei and Yin.

11.) Thus resulting in the boy we see in the fields. He looks like a boy version of Yin. He is now the new yet incomplete Izanami incarnate signified by the arrival of

a new Gate as Yin proper has split from that entity completely and there is no consciousness to hold anything back now. So this kid wakes up and just starts consuming

as soon as his eyes open.

12.) During the molecular change, as noted above, Yin and Izanami disconnected as beings totally. Yin was never a shell that remained in that box though that’s what

everyone thought. Izanami had just seemingly taken over her wholesale and their entities were tightly intertwined but Yin boldly asserted herself at the last moment to

Hei. Once the disconnect occurred, the remnants of Yin returned to her body.

13.) Yin's wish is to be with Hei (she has said this a few times in the OVA's), not for Hei to kill her. In the end, she counted on Hei to know the right time and do

what was needed so she didn't need to wish for that. Hei knew what he had to do so she didn't have to waste her wish. Her knowing smile and his knowing smile at the

end complimented each other.

14.) Hei is seen carrying Yin’s naked body off. This is clearly the Yin from the box in the room, not Yin that showed herself to Hei moments before. Hei went back to

the bldg after the change, disconnected Yin from the tubes and carried her off with him, at last alone together. At some point later, Yin regains consciousness and

though it takes a long time, she slowly but surely returns to herself.

15.) Amber, who has seen and knows the future, knows the budding relationship between Hei and Yin (episode 16) so she entrusts Yin to watch over Hei. I doubt she would

tell Yin this if Yin was going to die.

----

I've watched the whole Darker Than Bllack series in it's chronological order with the first season, than the Gaiden OVAs and the second seson: Ryuusei no Gemini. And

as probably many people have I've been thinking about the ending to the second season. I actually liked it, the problem is I wasn't really fond of the whole season in

general. If the rest were better, I'm sure I would've loved the ending. Nonetheless I've got my interpretation of the ending and also some questions. I guess I don't

have to mention that for anybody who hasn’t seen the first and second season + OVAs of Darker than Black, these questions will contain spoilers.

1. In the end of the Gaiden OV As, Yin sais she wants a wish granted, what was that wish?
My interpretation: I've got nothing on this one.

2. Who was Izanagi, was it Hei, Shion or maybe July? My interpretation: I would guess it was Shion. First of all, that's what some of the characters theorized in the

anime, and they must've had some leads. Second, he and Izanami contrasted each other. One had a destructive power the other had a creative one, just like Izanagi/nami

in Shinto mythology. Last one is a technical thing, but if he wasn't then that would mean his role in the story was kind of pointless. That would make Suou's role

pointless to (in my opinion it was to some degree anyways.)

3. Did Hei kill Yin?
My interpretation: No. First of all, he it was obvious from Gaiden that he didn't want to kill her and possible even loved her. Why would he change his mind? Secondly

if anything it was Izanami he was after, and not Yin. He might have thought he needed to kill her in need to kill Izanami though. Another thing is thing is that if Yin

was killed by him then what was the point of getting his powers back? For me he got them, possibly from Izanami herself, to seperate her Yin and Izanami from each

other. Also, if he actually did kill Yin, it would be to destroy her observer spirit/Izanami and as we see at the end of the episode, we see either her or at least

something that came from her, and continues on her killing spree. If it exists then what would be the point of killing Yin anyway. Last but not least, c'mon it's Yin!

She just couldn't die :D.

3. What was the Yin-looking person at the end of the episode.
My interpretation: In my opinion Hei somehow divided Izanami from Yin with his sisters powers. Now there are two options of what might have happend. Either that person

is Izanami herself, or it's possibly a fused Izanami-Izanagi, which I’ve seen people calling Kagutsuchi on the internets (the mythological son of Izanami/nagi). I’d

rather bend towards the first version for two reasons. First of all, Shion sacrificed himself to create the Arc and in turn died so I don’t think there was a chance

for him to fuse with Izanagi. Secondly the person at the end seemed to embody only the destructive nature of Izanami, and not Shion’s creative one. You could argue

against this though, with the fact that the entity person seemed to be male or somehow undefined, as if it really were a fusion of man and woman. But the counter

argument could be that either Izanami somehow being the polar opposite of Yin got a male body or that it’s actually Shion that has created the body, copying Yin’s and

just as in the case with Suou the copy wasn’t exact.

Of course, I might be completely wrong because I missed some detail so I’d be glad to hear other opinions, though similar ones would be nice to :).
Jun 2, 2016 4:33 AM

Jul 2008
Great OVA but it gave us no answers at all...just like season 2. I give this a 6/10
Jun 5, 2016 4:10 AM
Jun 2016
Images are very important. They are visually exciting, easy to interprete and very much captivating. Have a look at Africa Knows
Jul 9, 2016 4:42 PM

Nov 2015

Ouuhhh!! It ended good! It was great, the fights were awesome too!
I am not a Hei x Yin shipper but I do admit that their relationship quickly took form in these OVAs (since I did not sense any romantic attachment between the two in the first season), but there were cute interactions between the two.

Some questions were answered, mainly about the Syndicate and the Mikata documents but there are still many questions without answer.
Being the following the most important question:

Why isn't there a 3rth season!?

It has the hype, the plot, the purpose, the characters... You don't always have characters this good.

Anyway, this leads perfectly to what the season 2 came to be, which is amazing. Feels good to add that missing piece to what happened to Hei and Yin after season 1 and how Hei hit rock bottom, in what I think it was his darkest time.

But now... it's over.. bye bye, I hope we can see more of Hei and the others in the future.
HumbertoZeroJul 9, 2016 4:51 PM
Jul 30, 2016 5:17 AM

Apr 2009
This needs a season 3. They need to explain more about the Gate and Yin's backstory.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2016 8:07 AM
Aug 2016
All anime series are confuses 7/10 for me :0
first season slow action
second season & ova more action
Dec 2, 2016 12:26 AM

Oct 2015
It was a watchable special with lots of action, awakening dolls, contractors and superpower. Yin should have died in the end though just saying.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 21, 2017 2:48 PM

Nov 2014
Completely unsatisfying. Still no answers to any damn thing but at least I stopped caring.

First season of course was great but this stuff is pointless.
Apr 9, 2019 3:46 PM
Jan 2017
maji_saikou said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
maji_saikou said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Yeah 100% mate can’t wait for season 3 in 52 years
Jun 19, 2019 11:51 AM

Sep 2012
Ljw said:
maji_saikou said:
maji_saikou said:

first this is not s2 but ovas and s2 well s3 for u has been out for years it ended yin and heis plot, its called Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini, yin and hei ended the bs changed reality so contractors became humans again and some ppl got new lives like some of the hell they wen't trough was erased
Sugram22Jun 19, 2019 11:58 AM
Jun 19, 2019 11:56 AM
Jan 2017
Sugram22 said:
Ljw said:

first this is not s2 but ovas and s2 well s3 for u has been out for years it ended yin and heis plot, its called Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini

I just count Gemini as season 2, and my joke was related to how we’ll never get a continuation from the end of Gemini
Jun 19, 2019 1:09 PM

Sep 2012
Ljw said:
Sugram22 said:

first this is not s2 but ovas and s2 well s3 for u has been out for years it ended yin and heis plot, its called Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini

I just count Gemini as season 2, and my joke was related to how we’ll never get a continuation from the end of Gemini

well gemini did rap things up pretty well, if i remember correctly yin and hei wanished from the world like the science guy in s1 who had same power as hei, so they are together in some alt dimension, well i am re-watching the hole series anyway currently
Apr 27, 2020 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
This episode confused me.

7/10
Dec 30, 2020 12:12 PM

Jul 2017
Fine ending to a fine OVA series, and I felt like the OVA series did a really solid job with the development of Yin and how she clearly shows a ton of care for Hei and has faith at the end even after everything that happened. Hei is a stubborn guy. Prefer this over the first season, let alone the 2nd one.

Time to watch the 2nd season now in a bit. 6/10 overall for this edition.
Jan 3, 2021 7:50 PM
Apr 2016
That was a little far-fetched in my opinion, it was just going quite far and in a risky zone in terms of writing - considering it's not really canon (don't really know how much is canon in the prequel, too). Overall, felt like this OVA was very unnecessary; the romance in particular bothered me.
Apr 10, 2021 9:19 AM

May 2020
This was a pretty good OVA. Hei was one of the best characters from S1 and while Yin isn't my favourite character I did grow to like her. Onto S2.
Apr 13, 2021 11:46 AM

May 2020
No matter what story, I just wanna see Hei x Yin ship. Thank goodness I can live in peace.
May 2, 2021 6:13 PM

Sep 2017
Watching this before season 2. Not sure I like the direction the story is going. Do we really need to up the scale even more? There was still plenty of mystery surrounding the gate that they didn't touch. And I mean they didn't have to. It could have just been focused on a cast of characters living in this post gate world. But they instead very tightly wrapped Hei to major points of the story with the whole sister inside him South America blowing up thing. So on top of that do we really need the other main character (Yin) to also be so tightly tied to an epic (as in scale) expansion of the story. Can't we just have an interesting character without having her become more unneeded plot.
Jul 5, 2021 12:00 AM

Jan 2020
Well it seems like the plot arc for S2 is to save Yin...
Jul 5, 2021 12:01 AM

Jan 2020
Lol Hei became a drunkard just because he couldn't be with Yin.....he's not the grim reaper he used to be...
Sep 6, 2021 2:52 PM

Mar 2019
Damn, so this is what actually happened but I still have a big question... How exactly did Hei lose his power?!? Aside from that, amazing ova, wish they made this as a season 2 and then have the good episodes of Gemini as the continuation to make it at least 12 episodes long, so basically removing everything shion an Suou related. Also woah, they shared some really important stuff right at the end, with the syndicate and the fact that the dude was the leader of it!!!! or at least a big shot!
Also great Yin scene at the end :'(

I still don't know if I should have watched this before s2 or not, but I think I'll go rewatch the last episode to see that Hei and Yin moment. Since it's an OVA with only 4 episodes, Idk if I want to rate this but it would be a strong 7. With all that said, goodbye Darker Than Black, I'll still listen to your amazing openings!! Glad I watched this and I'll miss it ;-;
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Mar 4, 2023 1:08 AM

Dec 2022
Gaiden was better than Gemini, as far as I'm concerned, since it remains consistently high quality throughout. Gemini's quality fluctuated so dramatically per episode in comparison, and gave a bunch of nothing characters too much screentime. Gaiden consolidated the essential elements of Gemini into a more cohesive and satisfying package, while excising useless elements as well.

The aesthetic and emotional value watching this was superb. If only they went with a third season to wrap up the mess of the second season using Gaiden's writing as a basis.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 7, 2023 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
Great addition to the second season though still a lot of unanswered questions.
But this entry definitely stands out from Season 1 and Season 2.
It established the relationship between Hei and Yin really well, learning about how Yin changed from Season 1 to Season 2 was necessary.

I just wish we could've learned so much more about the world as it's definitely an interesting one.
PrOxAntoMar 7, 2023 10:33 AM
Feb 6, 1:18 PM

Jun 2019
The latest episode of the series fills in some of the gaps between Season 1 and Season 2. Although many things were explained, the story remains confusing.
Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed watching these OVAs. The relationship between Yin and Hei was not fully explored in Season 1, but it finally happened in this OVAs.
The plot did not necessarily have to unfold in the way that it did. The idea of Izanami was a good attempt to break the image of dolls and develop Yin as a character. However, I am disappointed with the lack of good development in Season 2.
Nevertheless, the Origins series has many advantages, which is why I am glad that they were made after Season 2. Unfortunately, there will not be a Season 3, and with the way things were left in Season 2, it might be better if the series does not continue.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

chocolaetmaelk - May 26, 2010

146 by YankataY »»
Feb 6, 7:25 AM

» Let me understand this?

Bard_Eren - Feb 5

4 by Bard_Eren »»
Feb 6, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 24, 2010

175 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Shiro-cat - Jan 26, 2010

226 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 6:29 AM

» Why is she emotionless

elChina - May 3, 2013

5 by EmperorThor »»
Jan 22, 2023 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.