Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Jan 2014
that video game effects was fun...Nanami killing countless people became less depressing that way :I

Togame's hair was a bond between them and cutting it meant much more than simply threatening Togame's life,still crying in the end when killing his sister...Biggest obstacle between Shichika and his humanity is gone now...Every episode is another ride its amazing...
Oct 11, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
The atmosphere in this episode was incredible. You could almost feel how evil Nanami was. The sheer disregard for life; the lack of care for anything but herself; the twisted desire to ruin her brother's new-found innocence through forcing him to kill her... Nanami truly was a monster.

Yeah. Wow. That was an incredible portrayal. I don't have any more words for it.

On another note, Togame's new haircut doesn't bother me. I like longer hair, but the short cut suits her too. I've started liking the side romance between Togame and Shichika as well.
Oct 14, 2014 9:40 AM

Jul 2014
Worst episode so far, they f***ed up so hard in this episode... I can't believe how bad the animation was in this episode, trying to cover their lack of animation with some videogame-ish effects in what was supposed to be a serious fight. I couldn't take this episode seriously at all and the new art style was an eyesore to me... No feels for Nanami whatsoever.

Can't understand how people can say that this episode was good or even the best so far lol

From 8 to 7.
ThatHandsomePalOct 14, 2014 9:44 AM
Nov 15, 2014 11:38 AM

Aug 2011
rzkyJR said:
so much hate for nanami (sad)

Holy shit. This just gave the episode a whole 'nother dimension.
Dec 14, 2014 1:12 PM

Aug 2013
Nanami-chan... what has become of such a pure innocent girl ??
Anyway I'm really not fond of the sudden change of artstyle.. actually I hate it.
WHYYY they do it during such an important time ?!! I would've been fine any other time.
This is just unbelievable.. I had a hard time getting used to it and can't seem to enjoy this episode.
Damn this is certainly really disappointing. It was really as though I was watching a video game.
Well despite that the story can be considered alright.. really sad end for Nanami and Shichika.
But still I couldn't absorb the moment like Tsuruga Meisai because of the artstyle.. curses !!
I hope things get better later on....
Jan 2, 2015 8:35 AM

Jun 2014
My favorite character died!
Nanami is love, Nanami is life!
Jan 3, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
fucckkk totally read a spoiler on the front page, thinking it was something else. I dont even want to keep watching now.. UGHHHHHHH

ionphantom said:
This episode was amazing. Or perhaps, depressing? Either way works.

I see what you did there. 5 years ago....
I'm sad he killed his sister. but im also sad she had to live like that. ALSO sad to see Togame's hair get cut. I much prefer short hair to long, but Togame's hair was just too amazing.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 26, 2015 4:48 PM

Nov 2013
This is the worst anime I've ever seen.
Seriously? Did he just kill his sister for a sword? There's no need to watch the rest of the series.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Feb 4, 2015 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
pkKodama said:
Seriously? Did he just kill his sister for a sword? There's no need to watch the rest of the series.

lolwut?
She forced Shichika to do it bcuz she wanted to die. Don't you know her backstory?
Feb 7, 2015 5:15 PM
Jan 2012
pkKodama said:
He did his sister a favor. Were you even watching the anime or did you just download a random episode (this one) and watched it?

Also, the hate for Nanami here in this thread is quite saddening. I guess not everyone knows how awful it is to not be born as a normal person.
Feb 7, 2015 11:17 PM

Aug 2011
This episode left a really bad taste.

I thought it was extremely cheap how he cheated to defeat Nanami. The fact that he agreed to it is really pathetic on his part. What really gets to me is how he chose a women he's only known for 6 months over his own sister. Didn't he kill his father to defend Nanami? This is really bad writing.

I really don't like Togame anymore. She seems to be a power hungry bitch. They've already collected more swords than anyone else, missing one won't mean that they failed. Even while knowing that Shichika is an idiot, she asks him if he can fight his sister for the sword. What a bitch

I was really looking forward to this episode so I'm sad to see how disappointing it was.
Feb 15, 2015 4:13 AM

Dec 2012
RIP Nanami.
I guess this was for the good. Or maybe for the bad?

I'm going to miss Nanami, her puns and contradictions. ;^;
Mar 1, 2015 7:26 AM

Oct 2011
Poor nanami
Mar 14, 2015 12:17 PM

Aug 2014
Nanami focused episodes are always the best this series offer. I fear I won't enjoy this as much without her.
Apr 11, 2015 1:45 PM

Nov 2012
Even when I thought he had a little tiny bit, Shichika has no emotion whatsoever
Jun 8, 2015 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
stevewiess01 said:
It was one of my favorite episode. I liked how they used the side-scrolling and vertical-scrolling effect to make some battle scenes to look like a video game.

Same, loved it :D

Nanami finally gets killed, by her own brother.
Even knowing what was going to happen before hand, it was still a good view of what Nanami was trying to achieve.
Jun 8, 2015 7:19 PM

Sep 2014
Fucking hate short hair, so sad that they decided to get it cut?!!! wtfffff
Jun 27, 2015 6:10 AM

Aug 2013
Togame with short hair looks better
huh
Jun 30, 2015 11:07 PM

Jul 2014
Awh man...feels.
I felt the final fight was a bit off though...what was with Nanami saying "good job killing me" with that sinister grin?
That scene at the end was so...bittersweet? Soundtrack was perfect. It was like, Shichika accomplished what he had to, but it killed him inside. All he could do was stare off into the ocean, looking forward. Fortunately Shichika is not alone and has Togame. :) I feel so sorry for Shichika...first his father, and now his sister...
So heartwarming when Togame said "I have you and you have me"
short hair kawaii
ED was beautiful.
the ending made me realize that Nanami and Shichika are just siblings after all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2015 10:40 PM

Dec 2013
Wow so the previous episode really did spoil this episode. Although I suppose this end result of this episode was pretty obvious. At one point in the episode it felt like I was watching a video game.

Rip Nanami you will be missed
Aug 3, 2015 11:45 PM

Jun 2015
I can undestand that she wanted to die, but making your own brother killing you... That´s too much.
In the other hand... Togame´s hair noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, well she is still cute with her new haircut, but it´s not the same.
CHEERIO!!~~
Sep 1, 2015 11:42 PM

Jul 2014
Damn!!! My favorite character T__T
Dec 19, 2015 9:32 PM

Jul 2014
Disappointing that Nanami didn't have a larger role in the series, but still a great episode.

I lol'd when it turned into Pocky & Rocky.

5/5
D-ohnutsFeb 7, 2016 4:38 PM
Jan 12, 2016 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
Somehow they made Nanami even more badass.
Jan 15, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2013
What an episode. Nanami is one of the most complicated and twisted characters i have ever seen.
Mar 9, 2016 1:40 AM

Apr 2015
Meh, I couldn't bring myself to cry over Nanami's death. Probably because you can't be happy for her nor sad, the way she died wasn't so sad too.
Good episode nonetheless. Or maybe it Bad :D
Apr 17, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
Well fuck, like in the monogatarie series they cut the girl hair, i can't bring myself to enjoy it, i just love girl with long hair i guess !
May 5, 2016 12:59 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Unexpected episode with an anticipated fight or at least not envisioned for the seventh episode.

---
Inesperado episodio con una lucha anticipada o por lo menos no imaginada para el septimo episodio.
May 17, 2016 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
Even if the previous episode wouldn't had spoiled the ending of the fight, the death of Nanami didn't surprised me that much, since during the last fight of the siblings it was obvious she was going to die.
I liked Nanami because her twisted character, plus how good her seiyuu is voicing her creepy but somewhat quiet nature. Well, RIP, Nanami, hope you finally get the rest you deserved after how sad your life was.

And NisiOisiN short hair fetish strikes again, this time with Togame. Well, she looks good with short hair, so I don't mind.

Btw, people who are bothered by the fact that Shichika killed his sister without remorse; he was sad when he killed her (hell, he was even crying), he just grant her the wish to die after how awful her existence was.
May 31, 2016 2:08 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Interesting explanation about the era and significance of having long hair. It's true that back then long hair was highly regarded, and it's similar to how in China, men's long ponytail braids (queue) were important as well, although for a different reason. I highly doubt Shichika understood the significance of this though, given that he grew up away from society and couldn't even tell male from female apart for quite some time. And even if he did learn about it, I don't think he's the type to care about a society's culture. It's mostly likely as simple as it was shown, that Shichika got mad because he liked Togame's long hair, lol.

I liked Nanami as a character, she was quite interesting. I understood her circumstance. I think she always had an apathetic attitude about things (but she's not sadistic), and combined with her being so strong that her body couldn't take it so she was in pain everyday, it makes sense why she became so "monstrous." Her otherworldly strength is comparable to being a genius, you're on another level than everyone else, it's hard to understand and connect with others. While she only did everything for herself (but at least cared for Shichika), she also just wanted to die like a normal person. Did she have to go to such great lengths for this to happen? To kill people and learn their skills to weaken herself? Of course not. But I like the depth that was given to her. I said this before, but she's still a much more interesting character than the two main.

I feel like this is the turning point in the series though? It's episode 7, and Nanami died (seven is part of her name), and this might be when Shichika starts changing or something (seven is also part of his name). And I mean yeah, they both have 7 in their names because they're the seventh generation, but I don't doubt that Nanami's death occurring in episode 7 is intentional. Cool stuff. Idk if this was mentioned yet, I only skimmed through the comments.
Jul 6, 2016 3:45 AM

Jan 2016
Not the hair. Not like this Togame ):
Jul 15, 2016 2:45 AM

Jan 2010

Sure is visual novel-esque JRPGs in here.

But yeah, um, wow. Not sure what to say. It was so straightfoward that anything I could say would just be parroting off the episode itself. I suppose I'll mention that I appreciate that Nanami wasn't doing something outlandish like trying to strengthen Shichika, trying to help with the sword collection by providing an easily to locate sword, or trying to collect the swords herself after being corrupted for whatever the reason. It was a simple death wish, and it was fulfilled within the episode's span. I also appreciate how the emotional nature of the fight, as well as Shichika's depression, wasn't drawn out for as long as it could have, though the fight's implications could carry over into the next couple episodes. That's something to be seen later though.

For now, the month of July has seen its Katanagatari episode come and go. Now I really have no idea what's going to happen for the rest of the series.
Aug 11, 2016 5:09 PM

Aug 2014
The episode wasn't very good, but at least they killed that annoying loli.
Good now we continue the epic journey.

But, I'm very mad that Togame long hair has been cut.
Sep 5, 2016 2:59 PM

Mar 2015
Awww poor Nanami, she was fun to have had around. RIP!

Digging Togame's new hairstyle too
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 1, 2017 5:02 AM

Feb 2016
Wow, I am mind blown at how complex Nanami as a character was fleshed out, despite the lack of airtime!

A character so powerful that it becomes terminal for that person. Amazing, I can only remember one other character who had that trait. And how the monster (source of her power and wickedness e.g. the malevolent smiles) within her was keeping her alive in pain and causing a split personality disorder!

Selfishly killing people and forcing her brother to perform an euthanasia yet looking out in the best interest of her brother til the very end.

Another person commented on how nobles will keep growing their hair until they married. When married, the patriarch of the husband's household would burn the hair in front of buddha.

Essentially, she performed a marriage ceremony but her brother Shichika was too infuriated at the dishonour of rape that Togame suffered.

Gosh darn, despite the lack of more air time I feel like I have no choice but to add her to the favourite character list!
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 14, 2017 3:03 PM

May 2015
RIP Nanami. :(

New due to Strategist. ;D

I really like this game-like story about Nanami's slaughter. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 15, 2017 1:18 AM

Aug 2014
Awww long hair Togami is way more beautiful than short hair Togami >-> RiP Nanami...
Jun 7, 2017 1:18 PM

Feb 2015
R.I.P. Togame's pretty hair. :(

I wonder how they're going to top the fight against Nanami with the remaining swords. I mean, nothing else could possibly be as powerful as her, right?
Jul 22, 2017 7:33 AM

Nov 2014
Nanami was awesome. Cute, scary and creepy at the same time. Her end was really sad, but I'll admit I liked how it turned out.
Jul 23, 2017 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
I really liked Nakahara Mai's performance as Nanami. While I can't excuse the thousands of deaths she's responsible for, and her complete disregard for human life, I did feel bad for Nanami. Her parents denied her any kind of normal childhood and I'd say even humanity. Her going off the rails was just a matter of time. Using her words, it sucks that she's dead, but maybe it's good?

I think saying that the only aspect of her character was death drive is pretty reductive. Sure, it's true that she wanted to die, but what makes it tragic and scary is the reason behind that. Being so powerful that it's slowly killing her body, without ever actually killing her. She wasn't only literally cut off from human contact due to living on an island with only her brother (who was almost as messed up as she is), but not knowing what it's like to put effort into something meant that she was completely isolated from an important aspect of the human experience. And of course, all her parents did was pity her, instead of treating her as a person.

Her arc may have had better dramatic "flow" if we had first learned about her death wish and then her backstory. Oh well. Nanami provided lots of great laughs with her creepiness, and I think that's just as important as her more dramatic role in this episode.

We've never seen Shichika lose his composure like that, both his outrage regarding Nanami's crimes and his sorrow over killing his sister were new levels for him. Togame' scheme actually paid off; that's also new.

A lot of people apparently hated the visuals in this episode but I think it was fine. In this show, the main source of satisfaction for me is not really the animation but the overall aesthetic, which was still retained in this episode. I'll concede that, while the video-game-like attacks were amusing initially, they did look a bit silly during Nanami and Shichika's showdown.
LeeTailorJul 23, 2017 2:04 PM
Aug 12, 2017 9:27 AM

Sep 2015
First of all let me say. Togame's new look is really cute. Which may be a comparatively unimportant takeaway from this episode. But I'm a fan. A lot happened here holy crap. If the last episode hadn't just outright spoiled it. I would not have expected Nanami's story to play out like that. It was still kind of surprising. I personally don't think Nanami really wanted to die. I think her criticism of Togame's usage of Shichika betrayed that she has her own values and expectations. That beneath the duty and years of isolation. She's her own person who didn't need to end up this way.

Nanami is a fairly confounding character though. And while it was what she wanted. I find myself slightly sad at her death. I guess maybe it's the "Unforgiven" end of an era vibe this series has been giving off since Episode 1. Where Shichika is the last Kyotoryou and quite possibly will be the end of the line. The last piece of his past being severed is sort of heavy. Even though he's grown tremendously since the beginning.

On a final note really dug the video game scenes. Like Nanami's assault and Togame and Shichika's arrival. Some have speculated they opted to animate them that way for money issues. But I think it's worth noting both scenes are flashbacks. And neither looks all that terrible especially the Nanami bullet hell. Oh yeah and that song that played right before the credits was fire.
Nov 24, 2017 11:12 PM
Jul 2017
Anyone happen to know the name of the song playing in the background when Hitei-hime is talking around about 18:30ish into the episode?
Apr 24, 2018 5:16 PM

Aug 2007
"Lay Back" by Lotus Juice is an awesome song choice at the end there.
LycanApr 24, 2018 5:20 PM

May 14, 2018 10:31 PM

Aug 2015
With how interesting Nanami's character is, I definitely thought that she could be the final boss in this series in which Shichika need to face also wishing that preview is a troll with the blatant spoiling but oh well just like what other people said even though with the way she had to massacre all those innocent people just to reach this point which is completely unreasonable, in a way good to see her finally attain the peace she wanted. Press F for Nanami for being a great character.

Also am I the only one that actually like Togame's new hair I mean I definitely prefer her long hair but I mean short hair is still just fine and the hair cutting scene is so badass. Also the art style change is definitely not as bad as what other people are trying to say as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment. I also chuckle a bit with the video game ref which is kind of unexpected, never change show.
May 18, 2018 12:16 AM

May 2016
I liked the instances where they pretty much handled the flashback like a video game. Togame's multiple embarrassing kabuki poses were real fun watching too.

It's tragic to see a family that's that okay with killing each other because they see themselves as mere swords. Nanami could've lived but she was suffering the whole time because of her unstable battle prowess. At least she managed to teach Shichika a valuable piece of advice before getting put down.

Seeing Togame wrap her hair around Shichika was very amusing but she really rocks that haircut. She looks fiercer and more calculated like how a military adviser would look for some reason. The way she got that haircut could've left the person head beside heels real quick though...

The next blade's a robot wow

Sep 28, 2018 6:28 AM

Dec 2016
An all around great episode and one I wasn't expecting to happen this early, cuz tbh I thought this would be the finale but I guess not lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 11, 2018 5:44 AM

Nov 2016
Nanami turned out to be an even more interesting character than originally thought. I was expecting a sibling duel, but not in this episode.

Sad, yet at the same time beautiful.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2019 5:58 PM

Jan 2017
Nanami was too strong so god had to nerf her.

Imagine if Nanami had the body to be able to use her full power. Wow.

The cute little scene at the end where Nanami was eating watermelon while Shichika was sleeping beside her made me soft.
Sorry for my English.
Feb 5, 2019 6:17 AM

Dec 2016
Ouch. His sister is strong af, what the fuck. Was getting kinda annoyed by her Rei like personality, glad she died.
Jun 26, 2019 2:35 AM

Sep 2018
One of the better episodes so far. I'mma miss Nanami T_T
Liked the longer hair on Togame tho.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.