Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 31, 2018 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
HungryForQuality said:

You're saying the point of these episodes are to learn about the characters but the character have not changed one bit since the beginning. Shinji is still as timid as ever. Asuka is still as bitchy as ever. Rei is still as emotionless as ever. Kaij and Misato's relationship was brought up earlier but seemingly forgotten. Same with Gendo Ikari and Rei's relationship. The two guys from Shinji's school in the beginning of the show have no relevance other than being comic relief.
You do realize that fleshing our a character (aka showing us more about what makes them...them) isn’t the same as developing a character (writing them in a way that forces them to grow or devolve over time), right? Just because you learn more about someone doesn’t mean they change. There’s no correlation with that, unless it’s a case where a character learns things about another character that he/she didn’t want to know, and conflict arises from it that fundamentally change their relationship, and something about them as people.

And yea, that’s a pretty incorrect use of the term “filler”. While the narrative does move a bit slowly and present itself both more in the background and as a tool for fleshing our the world and the broken nature of the characters, there are several important moments in the first 15 episodes before everything really starts kicking into high gear, both in what we learn about the characters, and in terms of important things happening that affect far more than just what we learn. Plus, episodic episodes that exist for the purposes mentioned above aren’t necessarily filler. Filler is padding; learning about the characters and the world isn’t padding.

Character development shows a character adapting to his or her situations, thus changing or at least, revealing new sides of their personality to the viewer. This makes the character go from a static one dimensional character to a dynamic three dimensional character. This show is hyped up to be one of complex characters with complex emotions. The ultimate mecha deconstruction. Then, why after 12 episodes has no character development, even in the slightest occurred. Why have so many started character arcs been abandoned? Rei and Gendo's relationship was brought up but abandoned. Shinji and Rei's seemingly growing relationship( not necessarily romantic) was teased but abandoned.

Regardless, even if we're talking about characterization( which is different from character development). Characterization is the way an author creates a personality for a character. Baccano is a show with a lot of good characterization but with minimal character development for example. Anyway, as for simple characterization, no new information, either direct or indirect, about the characters have been shown. In fact, all I know are the basics of each character that was explained in the first few episodes of each character's debut. They haven't been remotely explored until this episode, and even then, Shinji was just repeating the obvious that every viewer probably knew since the first episode. Shinji is a timid boy who has a father that is seemingly detached from him. Rei is an emotionless girl who was saved by Gendo. Asuka is a half-German girl who's narcissistic. There is one moment where the show hints that they might be fleshing out her family( when Asuka talks of her mother in her sleep) but as usual, it's played off for laughs and abandoned. Right now it seems like the show is going into Misato and Kaiji's relationship but from past experience, I would be surpised if this subplot was abandoned in the next episode or so.

As for your filler point, maybe it's not filler. Maybe it's just episodic stories. But for the reasons shown before, it hasn't contributed enough to justify the large amount of time taken.
Dec 9, 2018 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Nice teamwork from the trio.

Jan 9, 2019 7:02 PM
Jan 2019
Another great episode and show to us again how team work is a powerful tool.
I like the reflection it brings about being an EVA pilot and why do they pilot. A little of back story to build plot that trigger questions on the viewer about what happened to the world in 2000.
Apr 23, 2019 8:15 AM

May 2016
Even though everyone was saying that Katsuragi's suicide mission had a 0.00001% chance of succeeding, the actual operation looked like it had a 1/3 chance of succeeding instead thanks to their preparations beforehand. While it's very slightly anticlimactic that they hype up all these Angels only for them to get destroyed without much problems, I guess that it's better that way because if they ever screw up, they'll have a Third Impact on their hands.

It's nice to see the kids understand how broke the Major will be if they'll milk her dry for French steak and go for a simple bowl of ramen to celebrate. She deserves a break after all her hard work and what happened to her during the Second Impact after all.

Apr 23, 2019 7:56 PM

Dec 2015
Kajo_Senpai69 said:

It's nice to see the kids understand how broke the Major will be if they'll milk her dry for French steak and go for a simple bowl of ramen to celebrate.

Isn't there some talk about how a steak isn't a luxury anymore unlike when Misato grew up after the 2nd Impact but she doesn't realize that?
May 16, 2019 4:13 PM
Apr 2016
Well, we got to see some info about Misato, so it's kinda like a grudge, revenge...partly though. Ah, it was fascinating to see Shinji confused when his father praised him. It's amazing how this anime has brilliant character development.
Jul 9, 2019 7:54 PM

Jul 2009
Nicee episode! Glad we did get more backstory about Misato's scar and a glimpse on what happened during Second Impact.

Jul 21, 2019 4:10 PM
Jul 2019
what a great anime!
I really like how things are going.. can't wait to watch next episodes!
love those three!
Oct 6, 2019 12:38 AM

Oct 2012
That's a weird way to "revenge"
Considering they didn't even know what "Shitou" or Angels are

Seems like life is nice and easy for Shinji.. for now
"Signature removed"
Oct 24, 2019 1:15 PM

Nov 2017
I really liked the animation during the whole Angel fight scene. But golly, Shinji's reason for being a pilot is a bit depressing for my tastes. Especially since that's the first time (at least on-screen) I've heard his father give him any type of praise or positive interaction
Nov 7, 2019 6:33 PM

Sep 2011
I love to see the Evas in action, when they are running and jumping it's so good to watch, great animation.

That flashback of Misato's past was really interesting. The second impact looked really bad.

Shinji finally understand why he is piloting the Eva, all because of his father.
Apr 30, 2020 4:15 PM

Apr 2020
Half way into the show and Major Katsugi is my favorite character so far. Yes, revenge as character motivation is older than Shakespeare, but it helps flesh out why she's such an aggressive tactician. Shinji learning why he pilots EVA-01 is an bittersweet deconstruction of the 'chosen one' trope and the Angel designs begin to morph from ominous and threatening to horrifying.

Instead of the lighter moments of the show serving as pockets of tension relief, I find myself reflecting like Shinji at the near absurdity of it. Or perhaps they're an allegory for an oasis of good moments in a never ending desert of depression?

I'm not reading too much into this show, am I? XD
factorwonkApr 30, 2020 4:28 PM
Jul 12, 2020 4:39 PM

Feb 2020
why do people still live in tokyo-3 when it keeps getting hit by angels, leave if you can my dudes!

there is definitely somehing suspicious about the angels, the way they are always targeting nerv headquarters/personnel has to mean they are being sent there on purpose, right?

also shinji is a sweet kid! but i do admit, i miss a lot of the psychological exploration from the first few episodes, it was an interesting angle to approach the show from. but now it's more action - which i still love!!
Jul 25, 2020 12:30 PM
May 2020
I really didn’t think that we could learn more about the second impact and have it NOT be the most interesting part of the episode but here we are. Most interesting part for me is Shinji’s motivation seeming to change... Honestly I don’t think it has. God, fuck Gendo. Stringing along his son like that with praise like its a carrot on a stick, he just wants to be rid of your negligible impact on his life, either stay out of it or actually try to raise him. In case you couldn’t tell this episode has got me emotional, lol.
Oct 10, 2020 2:20 AM

Aug 2018
This is a pretty deep episode, specially the beggining. It was very cool seeing trio with such great chemistry and Misato taking on such a big risk decision which probably had higher percentage success rate than mentioned. Also Shinji getting praised by his father was a very great and memorable moment which is important when it comes to the whole character development.

I think this is one of the best episodes so far.
Oct 22, 2020 8:32 AM

Jun 2020
Have to agree that that “battle”/“fight” or whatever you would call that since they basically defeated it in under 5mins lol it was terribly anti-climatic. But I liked this episode, the world-building was great. I liked how they always include scenes & details of the residents evacuating too - those buildings that go underground, the traffic jams, people re-entering the area & crowding the trains. Such an unsettling & uneasy feeling.

I feel so bad for Shinji as always. My heart aches for him T_____T

Shinji’s friends are also so respectful to Misato, they are so cute. Also Ayanamiiiiiiiiii iiiiiisssss soooooo cuuuutteeeeeee I didn’t think I would like her this much♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 3, 2020 1:05 AM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! Dat flashback.
Misato got promoted.
She's Major now.
The party.
Kaji and Ritsuko.
The South Pole.
Gendo.
An Angel.
Revenge?
lol at Shinji and Asuka disappointed by steak.
Dat flashback.
Dat explosion.
They beat it.
Gendo praised Shinji.
Ramen.
Shinji's reason. Baka.
Dat ending.

Holy crap at the South Pole. We get more fanservice next episode after having none in this episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 1, 2021 10:48 PM

Aug 2019
God ngl, it must be a fucking nightmare to live in Tokyo 3. Like what, every once a month? Either having to evacuate the city cus an outer space death alien that has the ability to nuke a city, is on it's way to nuke the city, or have an outer space death alien without the ability to nuke a city, instead rampage around and destroy the city, while the UN send another fucking nuke, to nuke close to the city.

Asides from that, pretty decent episode, some relatively small but still relative background information dropped about Misato, her experience of the 2nd impact (which is her quite literally witnessing it first hand) and some short, but sweet praise from papa Ikari to his son.
All in all decent episode, i think the nice parts were the visuals (all 3 units being seen in action again, but with more open space) and Rei finally being included in the after party celebration.
Mar 8, 2021 4:27 PM

Nov 2019
I really felt the moment Shinji got a compliment by his father. When I was a kid I had a very similar relationship with my dad, so I can relate to Shinji’s feelings pretty well.
Mar 9, 2021 2:36 AM

Mar 2010
I wonder if I can like a single character of this anime..
Mar 25, 2021 10:04 PM

Jun 2020
Asuka needs to expand her vocabulary past "baka baka baka"

I like the Misato's backstory

Ofc Shinji's in it for daddy's approval

Asuka's not telling the full truth. I still dunno what's up with her mom
Mar 26, 2021 1:06 AM

Sep 2020
GoZha said:
I like the Misato's backstory

i just wanna say that
Apr 2, 2021 12:49 AM

Jun 2016
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
I love how people are complaining about the success rates and all that. Really, why does it matter? What about all the excellent character moments in this episode? The stuff with Misato was great, her discription of why she is working for Nerv was pretty interesting stuff and how it ties into Shinji's relationship with his own father.

Also, I think Shinji's realization was pretty powerful stuff. Okay, you could argue that it's obvious, but I'm sure everyone here as come to a realization that was pretty obvious in hind sight. Also, I love the meaning behind Shinji's "I mustn't run away" line. And, as always, I love the interaction between him and Asuka as always.

It shows a split in the kinds of viewer who like this sort of introspective stuff: those who focus on the story and those who focus on the characters. The character moments throughout the anime so far are excellent, but the silly looseness of the mecha story is weak and that can put a damper on it for some of us. Maybe that's why this series is so divisive? This hasn't been a bad anime, it just has weirdly striking strengths & weaknesses.
May 7, 2021 8:19 AM

Apr 2021
Certainly worked better than they thought it would

4/5
Jun 9, 2021 10:19 PM

Apr 2020
I love this shot dude

Jul 24, 2021 11:29 PM
Jul 2021
The Teamwork was great. Shinji being the first on the scene to stop the Angel and managing to get praise from his father. Shinji's motivation being problematic and yet so understandable at the same time...

Might be one of my favorite episodes so far.
Sep 13, 2021 6:42 PM

May 2019
Honestly I didn't notice the 0.0000001% thing, at this point it's just background noise to me because you know they're going to beat the weekly monster every time. This and episode 11 are probably my favorites so far tho because of how much we get to learn about the characters and so many small things to analyze.
Nov 7, 2021 7:23 AM

Aug 2020
Well, at least we got some Misato background story.

And Shinji is finally acknowledged and complimented by his father. At least now he has meaning in piloting the Eva.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 24, 2021 9:24 AM
Nov 2020
Lots of very important stuff is beeing set up in this episode.
Dec 15, 2021 3:14 PM

May 2019
Oh dope, we get to see some of Misato's story and stuff from the second impact!

The keep alluding to the second impact as if humans caused it somehow. Huh.

Misato's maternal nature comes through too, caring about the kids. "Being inside an Eva is the safest place to be."

Shinji's development is seen in the angel battle. That AT field being ripped open is his discovery that he only seeks love and approval and yet the probability of those things are sparse.

Damn great episode.
Jan 2, 2022 9:59 AM

Jul 2021
It was shown what happened to Misato and her father in the second impact, and because of that event, she wants revenge.
Finally, Shinji's father praised him for all the work he's been doing.
asdasdsadad
Jan 5, 2022 9:39 PM

Jan 2016
NGL I am scared of what is coming due to this show being classified as part of the dementia genre.

Shinji's dad is a prick. I hope Shinji stops trying to get validation from such a deadbeat.

Misato is my favorite character so far. Was nice to see the flashbacks to the Second Impact. I guess she and Shinji have similar stories. Maybe some foreshadowing??

Also, yeah. I wonder what happened to exploring Rei and Shinji's dad's relationship?
Feb 1, 2022 8:06 PM

Feb 2021
Shinji finally gets appreciated for the shit he goes through. He finally found his purpose for piloting the Eva.

We get Misato's backstory.

And Antarctica, the place where the Second impact took place looks oddly beautiful yet terrifying at the same time.

It's always nice to see Rei in action. Asuka calling Shinji 'baka' for the 100000th time.

Apr 4, 2022 8:38 PM

Dec 2021
really good insight on misato's character, i'm trying to find the theme of each main character and how i can connect that to something.

as nice as it is to see shinji get praise from gendo, its also quite sad that its all gendo views him for
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 5, 2022 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
So much for the one in a million chance eh? Idk why they keep throwing out these crazy low percentages when the missions are all pretty easy. Nice to see some backstory on Misato and to see the gang get a bit closer

I’m still wondering what the goal of the angels is. Who is sending them? Why? Why just one at a time seemingly at random? Why are they only attacking Japan?

Was that mission even a success? It still left a massive explosion…
Apr 11, 2022 12:12 PM

Feb 2012
2022 rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 20, 2022 8:57 PM

Oct 2020
This episode went from 1-100 real quick
They started out having a fun little celebration for Misato and suddenly a mega-powerful Angel capable of levelling entire cities decides to come down and party

I liked learning for about Misato's past and, by extension, the second impact. It was also nice to see Misato and Shinji discuss their internal struggles (both social and familial)
Shinji's been through so much and it stinks that all he really ever has to look forward to is occasional praise from his absent father. Although, it was nice to see Shinji somewhat happy at the end of the episode.
Jun 29, 2022 8:04 AM

Dec 2007
in the end it wasn't just misato's episode but also shinji's. though it was kind of obvious, it was nice lay down for him to state he's doing it for his father.

great episode as usual. i love the directing of the series so far.
though honestly the all "success rate" as it discussed in this thread is sure shit talking lol.
Sep 11, 2022 9:29 PM
Nov 2021
mid tbh still waiting for it to get phycological
Sep 22, 2022 10:40 PM
Aug 2022
banger episode! we learned about misato's backstory on why she joined nerv and why she is so adamant about eliminating angels even if it risked the pilots. and no fanservice consisting of 14 year olds. wahoo!
and of course, how could i not talk about that angel design. i LOVE this one. i'm not too sure if i like it as much as the previous one, but this is up there for sure. this is the definition of an eldritch horror and I LOVE IT. this angel and the previous one gives me weird core vibes with the eyes. so hey, evangelion is ahead of its time when it comes to that. lol!
Dec 12, 2022 11:39 AM
Apr 2022
r4tedfgdxyfgdmx fhcfghc
Dec 26, 2022 9:12 AM
Nov 2022
проста супер good
Dec 28, 2022 12:29 AM

Jan 2022
Misato and Shinji aren't so different after all it seems. Maybe that's one of the reasons why she always feels so guilty about making him get in the Eva. She knows what its like to want to run away.

Also shinji feeling awkward during social gatherings? Literally me moment, fr fr.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:44 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 28, 2023 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
While it was nice that Gendou actually took the decision to personally praise Shinji, and even sounded sincere in his tone...Asuka's right about him really being an idiot...just probably not forthe reason she thinks. Seeking admiration from a certain person isn't always idiotic, but in Shinji's case it definitely is. Gendou only praises those that take actions that will further his own goals. Which is why it seemed rather ironic that Akagi said Misato was doing the operation for her own personal agenda. Girl...the entirety of NERV's work is ased on one person's personal agenda! And from that little scene at the South Pole...even before then.

(really want to know when we get to see EVA-01 with those Angel wings...because that flashback pretty much confirmed that's what they were)

Hoping the wait isn't too much longer for a Rei backstory. Mystery girl with zero recorded history, treated better by Gendou than his own son, and now this "no meat" thing. Obviously vegtetarians and vegans exist, but story-wise it seemed like extra attention was being brought to it.

Next episode looks interesting, and wondering whether it's one of the new Units or something to do with Unit-01's repair. All 3 were at the epicentre of the angel, and even if it was there just a bit longer, why was only Unit-01 damaged?
Mar 6, 2023 7:30 AM
Jan 2023
great. Team Work makes the dream work
Apr 12, 2023 1:30 PM
Apr 2023
Tristeza e depressão.
May 9, 2023 3:07 PM
Nov 2022
Nothing special. Just more backstory and very little action. Nothing to complain about, just not the greatest in the bunch.
May 18, 2023 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
Metal go brr brr than floating thing go boom boom
May 22, 2023 8:48 PM
Feb 2021
It's great that Misato is completely dumbfounded at Shinji saying that was the first time his father praised him. It's crazy how the Evas just tank the most fucking insane hits, but they're just too cracked.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
8 minutes ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Today, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.