Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 10, 7:36 AM
Oct 2017
That is, ready to go in the first 5 minutes we see Kamina immediately gratuitously insulting a group of women by calling them 'sluts', guilty only of having pointed out to Simon that he stinks and should wash himself... I don't know, to me it seems like a bit of an incel attitude. Not to mention the wrong message that gets across, which tries to normalize those who stink by adding a good dose of sexism. Sexism which we then find everywhere as we continue in the series, to give another example around episode 3-4 there is a scene where Kamina and the other 2 males sit around and send the 4 women to look for food for them, a scene that stuck with me because of the absurd sexism. And as you can see I'm not even criticizing the fact that the women are all sent to the kitchen later, that would be too easy. Etc., there are plenty of toxic sexist messages in this series, we get it. Not to mention that the staff has included a gay character who is decidedly problematic, not only is he negatively stereotyped but he is practically represented as a sexual predator on at least 2-3 occasions. Watching this series is making me extremely uncomfortable. I don't know why everyone considers this series a masterpiece, to me it seems like an anime full of toxic and wrong messages that deserves to end up in oblivion, after obviously being ashamed that someone of our species has given birth to such disgust. And no, don't say "it's the historical period", because other famous anime from that period, like Code Geass, don't have all these wrong messages.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 10, 7:42 AM

Jan 2009
you can say it has toxic masculinity but its not shown to be that bad but rather for fun effect

you just watch it today while during its original run time no one cares about those toxic masculinity scenes
May 10, 7:47 AM

Jun 2021
I don't think anyone consider it masterpiece. It is just fun turn your brain off action anime. You don't need to take this anime seriously.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

May 10, 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
>uniorinically uses the word "incel"
>expects to be taken seriously

bruh

May 10, 7:48 AM

Feb 2014
What is your endgame here? You want people to read your rant, agree with you despite their own thoughts, feelings and emotions on a nearly 20 year old anime; then rating bomb it so it's not in the top 9000?
“Villainy?” he interrupted. “My dear child, all that’s mere verbiage, prattle.
Nothing’s villainous if it causes an erection, and the single crime that exists in this world is to refuse anything that might produce a discharge.”
May 10, 7:51 AM
Dec 2020
Wait till he hears about Hajime no Ippo jokes👀👀👀

Honestly man just stop being a snowflake
May 10, 7:51 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Darconic
Wait till he hears about Hajime no Ippo jokes👀👀👀

Honestly man just stop being a snowflake
@Darconic lol true i guess op hates japanese humor japan is still conservative country anyway
May 10, 7:53 AM
Feb 2022
Bro back when I watched this anime, these things didn't even ring my bell. lol
And you sound like you are trying to find these complains rather than trying to actually enjoy the show.
May 10, 7:54 AM
Dec 2020
deg said:
@Darconic lol true i guess op hates japanese humor japan is still conservative country anyway

Humor standards have changed in the past 7,8 years. Gag comedy is now more popular, but imagine whining over Gurren Lagann. I dont think we can quote 2 or even 3 weak points of the show...
May 10, 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Darconic
deg said:

Humor standards have changed in the past 7,8 years. Gag comedy is now more popular, but imagine whining over Gurren Lagann. I dont think we can quote 2 or even 3 weak points of the show...
@Darconic true i guess those old japanese jokes are called dark humor now in modern day
May 10, 8:00 AM

Sep 2016
Dije said:
in the first 5 minutes we see Kamina immediately gratuitously insulting a group of women by calling them 'sluts', guilty only of having pointed out to Simon that he stinks and should wash himself...

I just watched it and these girls were guilty of being assholes towards Simon, so whatever Kamina said was justified.
Don't know about the other scenes though and can't be bothered to find them.
Perhaps you're right and the show is subtly sexist, but barely anyone cares because it's just silly humor in escapist entertainment.
ZarutakuMay 10, 9:02 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 10, 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, I have no idea how Japan thought this was a good idea.
May 10, 8:08 AM
Feb 2020
how can you be this sensitive to these minuscule things that don’t even have a major part in the anime? focus on the actual story and not let social media affect your brain while you are trying to watch a show
May 10, 8:13 AM

Sep 2018
Anime is about entertainment over preaching some pointless politics and ethics, and that is how it should remain. One of the greatest features of anime is the creativity permitted within the medium. If the creator wants to show something that offends that is ok. If the audience has a problem with it they can always drop itinstead of trying to shut down such creativity.
May 10, 8:20 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
This looks like a deliberate bait.

Nevertheless, this thread is one of the reason why I'm so thankful that anime panders to Japanese people, not oversensitive twittard foreigners

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 10, 8:27 AM

Jul 2015
Before you guys start to rightfully laught at this guy, just consider the fact, that this is the exact mentality people at Disney or Hollywood have and this is exactly what they think of all those classic franchises before they eventually butcher and destroy them in order to "carter to new audience".
Just think about this, because this shit is not funny. They already are setting their sights on anime and it they could, they would made Kamina a soy addled beta male as this guy would prefer.
Bait or not, this is truly harrowing, because the prospect of our hobby being destroyed is real.

May 10, 8:27 AM
Mar 2023
Me when the last words in the show are literally “love and rock, peace” and still gets cancelled
May 10, 8:31 AM

Jan 2020
Didn’t pay attention this while I was watching, but I agree that this anime was mid, and I’ve got no idea why it has so many favorites. But whatever…

Regarding racism, sexism and xenophobia, all I can say is that I’m an anarchist when it comes to this topic: I’d like to see everyone insulting everyone just because it’s fun. I’d like to see niggas calling snow whites “snow whites” and snow whites striking them back with “niggas”; women getting called “whores”, men getting called “shitheads”, gays getting called “fags/homos”, straight folks getting called “breeders” and so on. C’mon, just give me entertainment and make sure everyone gets a bucket of shit splashed all over their heads.

(Hope this ain’t getting deleted)
May 10, 8:55 AM
May 2017
Masterpiece of Masterpiece.
May 10, 9:06 AM
Apr 2016
It does have sexism and homophobia. The reason why it's regarded as a masterpiece of super robot fiction is bc of its metaphoric symbolism. It's basically "will to power" the anime.

But yes those things unfortunately bring the whole thing a down a lil. Not enough that I felt like I needed to disregard the whole thing. But enough where I can't personally call it an MP.

If there's a saving grace (which there really isn't) it's that those characters are also portrayed as strong, competent and necessary individuals to the team.

it's just a shame that they are also at times treated the way that they are. Lastly, some of the fanservice actually does make sense to the plot so I let i let that slide whereas there a few times where it's distracting and unnecessary, which adds to your sentiment.
May 10, 9:10 AM
Feb 2019
Honestly though, no pfp no opinion so
May 10, 9:23 AM
Jan 2020
Gurren Lagann is a masterpiece, even after the end of humanity it will still be...
May 10, 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
I hate people like you, you suck
Kamina is the GOAT
May 10, 9:40 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked

Anime Discussion Rules: 5. Please refrain from posting thread topics which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated social and/or moral issues. This includes but is not limited to:
gender/racial equality
sexual orientation, homophobia
sexual assault
pedophilia, lolicon/shotacon, incest, teenage-adult relationships
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.