Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Dec 10, 2015 3:15 PM

Oct 2015
Movie wasn't anything special but it was worth watching 9/10. I'd prefer knowing the backstory of some people and also the reason about chasing after this kid in particular and not someone else.
"Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!"
Dec 28, 2015 4:31 PM

Sep 2014
Not really a fan of this setting but, that last fight and that soundtrack, just wow!
Jan 28, 2016 2:49 AM

Feb 2010
Great execution and soundtrack despite the conventional storyline. Nicely directed overall and very enjoyable 9/10

Feb 1, 2016 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
those samurai moves are nice,well he lost to a guy with no name lol.

Feb 9, 2016 7:49 PM

May 2015
KholdStare88 said:
Most of the story was focused on these people in red but did not develop them. They're obviously powerful, but aside from the different weapons they use, they're the same people.

I never quite noticed that...
Feb 13, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2016
Simple plot. Great animation. Epic boss fight. And pretty graphic without being over the top... I really enjoyed this one!
Onei
Apr 19, 2016 10:10 PM

May 2015
If you want good, serious storytelling, with unique and somewhat realistic characters (without plot armor), and that got well made fighting scenes and music to back it up... Then you should watch it.
Jun 4, 2016 9:44 AM

Oct 2015
This film ranged from being incredible to being completely boring to me.

First of all, I will give credit where credit is due, the animation, watercolour artstyle and fight choreography is amazing and extremely detailed, but the characters were all generic. There was little nuance in who were the good guys and who were the bad guys, I mean, Kotarou has a dog just so you know he's the poor underdog good guy, in my opinion this is one of the tired cliches in the book.

Kotarou himself also feels like a plot device and little more simply because he's captured so that the war between the japanese provincial warriors and the Ming can start over the immortality whatever. He shows almost no agency whatsoever in this sequence.

However, Rarou was a great villain - I am quite fond of the villain archetype he represents - a guy who works with the other bad guys but at the end of the day just wants to fight a worthy opponment, and it's the fights between Nanashi and Rarou along with the heartwarming ending scene that elevated this movie from a 6/10 to a 7/10 for me.
Jun 14, 2016 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
That last fight was as good as advertised, maybe even better. I personally think the movie should've been about 30 minutes longer to expand on the Chinese history surrounding this immortality elixir or to add to the background of some of the characters and make me care maybe a bit more about some of them. Overall, the OST, the animation, the choreography and my enjoyment was thru the roof for the entire movie, 9/10 for me.
Jul 14, 2016 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
Has a lovely score, loved the story and the setting. And the animation was simply beautiful.
Jul 24, 2016 2:52 AM

Mar 2014
man i love that two Chinese women but unfortunately got killed really fast
Aug 12, 2016 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
The way they animated this is still mind-boggling, what a great movie.

The only complaint I have is that I wished some of the Chinese characters had more screen time/character development, cause even though they barely got shown, some of them looked really interesting.

Sep 2, 2016 8:04 AM

Feb 2013
Great movie!
I hope that he didn't die.
Tobimaru is great!
Sep 26, 2016 2:04 AM

Oct 2015
the story was awesome and very great, although kotarou should have given 'no name' a name in the end.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 28, 2016 9:17 PM

Dec 2015
Wow I just noticed that I watched it exactly 9 years after it's release, lol talk about a coincidence.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 6, 2016 3:37 PM

Mar 2008
THANK GOD THE DOG DIDN'T DIE i wouldn't have been able to handle it

Nov 13, 2016 10:42 AM

Aug 2016
Nice story, very relaxing pace
Epic actions, especially the final fight scene
my time was spent well
Nov 16, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
Had high expectations going into this and still managed to impress me. Love the artstyle, animation, music, characters. 9/10, would watch again.
Ramen said:
THANK GOD THE DOG DIDN'T DIE i wouldn't have been able to handle it
100% agreed.
May 29, 2017 7:08 PM

Sep 2010
Fight scenes were cool. Pretty interesting watch
Aug 10, 2017 8:26 PM

Nov 2011
8/10 final fight. But unfortunately the rest, especially the story, is mediocre.
It's also ridiculous how much damage the MC took but still managed to win. If he is a shounen protaganist that's normal but he's not. They should have added something like the roof the enemy is standing collapsed making the enemy lose footing. Otherwise the win is ridiculous. There is also the sudden sword blade getting cut in the end like it was hit by an invisible slash as that's not the place it was hit by the opposing sword or is it a ridiculous delayed sword damage? Due to this the sword fight in Princess Principal ep5 is better except animation. The only thing this fight has that made it good is great animation.
ernstAug 12, 2017 9:08 PM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Sep 8, 2017 9:59 PM

Aug 2015
i just love this.....

Sep 9, 2017 2:10 PM

Dec 2014
The starts of this movie was very exciting with the music but then I quickly remember that I don't care about action sequences at all, it doesn't matter how well animated they are. I'm in it for the story and the story of this movie left me just as bored. I didn't care for any of the characters so it didn't matter who did or didn't die. I thought it was very boring but it's amazingly animated so I can see why people like it.

4/10
Sep 21, 2017 9:34 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing animation and cinematography. The action scenes were really well done and the music was very good as well - especially loved the percussion! Decently engaging plotline and characters, though I'm sad Nanashi never met his old comrade. I thought that was going to happen during the last fight. Ended up pretty well and I felt like giving this a 8.5, since I was pretty decently entertained even though I usually don't like these kinds of movies. However I felt the plot could have definitely been a lot better, I was expecting Kotarou to finally name Nanashi and I thought that "medicine" that was being taken by the Chinese/Ming was gonna come into play since they kept showing it. Gonna round down for a solid 8/10
Oct 9, 2017 8:49 AM

Feb 2012
Is there any more material for this? They explained Nanashi's origin but not Luo Lang?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 22, 2017 9:13 PM

Dec 2016
A pretty fantastic movie with some of the best fight animation and choreography I've ever seen
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 28, 2017 12:52 PM

Oct 2013
I got goosebumps by seeing those sword plays and the last fighting scene was epic along with the OST playing in the background. So all the soldiers were wiped out by just a couple people from Ming ? damn they're strong.

Can we all presume that Nanashi is actually Batousai ? since his hair color is red just like Batousai, and batousai threw his name and identity just like Nanashi.

I was expecting for an after credit scene but there wasn't any :(

Overall score 8/10
Dec 11, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2015
This movie is so.... I have no words, the OST is fantastic, the fight scenes are impecable. AMAZING!
More people need to know about this movie.
Jan 1, 2018 8:05 AM

Apr 2012
Would've been better with a bit more action imo

(Not wall-to-wall just more throughout)
Apr 12, 2018 4:06 PM

Aug 2013
Wow. I haven't enjoyed a show like that since a while.
Solid 9/10.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Apr 29, 2018 1:54 PM

Feb 2018
This was a good movie it's been a while since I enjoyed an anime movie. Even tho the story and characters were nothing special I enjoyed it quite a lot and the art,animation were great so 8/10 from me.
May 20, 2018 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
Very f*cking good movie. This animation was all sorts of ridiculous!
Also, it felt kind of wierd for the chinese guys to change between Japanese and Chinese just to facilitate the dialogue for viewers. I would've prefered for them to get Japanese and Chinese seiyuus just for the movie.
Sep 24, 2018 8:34 PM

Aug 2015
I really want to know if the manga exist looks so cool as well.

Oct 5, 2018 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
Every single shot of this film was beautiful, I was really impressed by it.
Apr 18, 2019 4:55 AM

May 2017
an unfortunate disappointment for me. I heard great things about the animation of this movie and that is the one thing that certainly did not disappoint.

I had low expectations story wise, and what started out as a decent plot with good character chemistry quickly became something so uninteresting because of how bland and how uninteresting they wrote this story.

I liked everything that happened until the first encounter between nanashi and the chinese guy. But everything that happened after that was so boring, literally nothing happened in the following 30 minutes. Nanashi teaches Kotarou how to ride a horse and we get more insight of the plans and motivations of the chinese people. This could have been ok if I would atleast care 1% for these chinese people. They were the personification of bland. A bunch of cool character designs that ended up as cannon fodder at the end.

You can turn basically any plot into something interesting if you have great characters with good writing, but unfortunately this wasn't the case. We never got to know anything about why Kotarou is the prophesied kid and the back story of nanashi was pretty eh as well I mean it's completely understandable that someone that fought many wars and was eventually forced to kill a little children and his mother to be tired of fighting and killing. It made sense that he fought without really trying to kill anybody. Unfortunately Nanashi backstory didn't really had enough time to develope. The story line about creating an elixir of immortality with the blood of a prophesied kid is sooooooooooo boring. The movie could have expanded more on the chemistry between Nanashi and Kotarou but unfortunately, as someone already mentioned in this post Kotarou's only role later on was serving as a plot device so the war could break out between the two factions and so we could get another battle between Nanashi and the Chinese dude. The end fight was pretty short and it was kind of an asspull that Nanashi won that fight to be real. He was injured and exhausted and won a fight against someone that took out 30 people in a matter of seconds without breaking a sweat.

Anyway lots of people praising the OST but I didn't like it at all. It takes a lot for me to dislike the OST of any sort of medium, most of the time it's just mediocre music which won't be memorable but this movie literally offered nothing for me in the music apartment. It failed to emphasize dramatic moments for me and it felt like the last 15 minutes had the same OST on loop.

6/10 would be a 5/10 without the incredible visuals. But this once again proves that even though this is an animation medium, good animation alone is not enough to make it a great show.
May 14, 2019 7:35 AM
Jan 2017
story about wild samurai who meet the boy and trying to save tha boy and fight the Stranger in Chinesse and fight with blonde guy is quite interesting plt but at the end nanashi with his lucky, the green stone and broken sword,,
7/10
Jun 24, 2019 8:48 AM

May 2016
This one was definitely one of the most entertaining Sengoku-period anime I've watched yet. The action looked fluid and gorgeous, the visuals were simply impressive, and the main characters were really likable as the journey went on. There's just something about seeing people get closer and closer to each other that makes it so fun for me to watch. Absolutely loved the fight scenes, that's for sure.

Those Ming guys were awesome with their many weapons and ability to take such gruesome attacks without the bat of an eye thanks to those Chinese drugs they take. It didn't help them last for very long in the end but that's just because they were really outnumbered. It would've been nice to know more about them aside from the greedy old guy and the bored foreigner (Thanks to Samurai Champloo, I can tell that he's Dutch~) but they were killed before they got to do so. Those guys from the castle ended up dead too but at least I got to know the archer and Tanamori better before that.

I didn't mind it in particular but it would've been a lot better if they also put more depth into Kotarou's backstory and circumstances like how they did with Nanashi and his flashback. I wished that he'd name the guy too at the end but it looks like he isn't in the state to worry about things like that for now. If Tobimaru managed to survive on the way to the apothecary, Nanashi can make it to the doctor's too. It looks like he had internally redeemed himself by saving a child instead of having another one killed and he's ready to rest in peace but I really hope that he'll survive past the end of the movie since they've earned it.

Jul 19, 2019 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
Great action but eh this whole movie reminds me "no risk no gain" quote. Very annoying predictable story and nothing really feel really worthwhile or standout. Characters weren't any bit interesting except Nanachi was okay with generic backstory. Maybe just spoiled by Koike's films, but heck even Ninja Scroll had interesting story or main character! lol.

Sometimes script feel forced for most of the times and music is way TOO nice not in a good way- it lacks tense and repetitive always gives the good mood instead of gritty feels.
removed-userJul 19, 2019 4:12 PM
Oct 2, 2019 12:17 AM

Jul 2016
Quite impressive movie overall. The story was simple yet entertaining enough and the main trio (Tobimaru MUST be included) was quite likeable as well. And of course, not to mention also that the OST and especially, the animation were simply outstanding.

Regarding the characters, not gonna lie, I found Kotarou to be a bit annoying at first but as the movie went on, I ended up empathizing with him a lot more than I originally expected. That said, I still think Nanashi was the absolute highlight of this movie and wish his backstory would have received more exposition but well.

8/10 - It's not a "masterpiece" as many people in this media claim but when it comes to production values, it was a quite enjoyable audiovisual experience overall.
Nov 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Nov 2016
Very well paced, stunning action and Nanashi was just awesome.

Sad ending, tho ;_;

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2020 2:24 PM

Aug 2018
Man this anime movie was soo beautiful and I also like every swordfight scenes and the story was goddamm masterpiece 10 out of 10
Mar 10, 2020 12:38 PM

Nov 2019
Awesome sword fights and great music. 7/10
Mar 15, 2020 11:06 AM

May 2016
Great animation and a good movie 8/10
Hopefully he survived.

FMmatron said:
Very well paced, stunning action and Nanashi was just awesome.

Sad ending, tho ;_;
He closed his eyes, Kotaro made a grief expression, and the blood... :_:
Apr 9, 2020 7:10 AM
Nov 2015
This is surprisingly a very cool movie.

The message is a bit preachy but it's in line with my own ideals.
That final battle is the perfect clash between Eastern & Western values.

You can only get so far without both conscience & other people.

May 5, 2020 3:39 PM

Jun 2014
Good stuff. The final fight scene was great.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 13, 2020 11:02 PM

Jun 2017
The story was great as well as the animation, especially the fighting :).
Did he survive in the end though? I hope he did.
Oct 1, 2020 3:24 AM
Jul 2019
Haha, I'm laughing my ass off at that archer who died after getting the approval to marry the princess. I'm happy the doggo lived.

Overall it was a pretty good movie. It has a simple plot of protecting a kid through countless dangers but I think it was handled properly. Fight scenes are where it shines, smooth animation and good choreography. Would've preferred the last fight to have no music so all I can hear are swords clashing and feet dashing through wood and snow but I guess this okay too.

8/10.
Jan 28, 2021 6:28 AM

Jun 2020
What a great movie. Had not seen such a good anime in quite some time...
Feb 15, 2021 10:01 AM

Feb 2020
Nice movie, I enjoyed it . The character development/build up and animation was really good. Though I am not a big fan of the character designs.
Overall I still loved it.
But lol
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 12, 2021 10:12 AM

Nov 2018
Great movie. Loved it.
Apr 15, 2021 4:43 PM

Jun 2015
Nanashi!!
He died, didn't he? T-T
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Is this good??

Tanjiro1316 - May 3, 2022

21 by Toueki »»
Oct 10, 2022 8:02 PM

Poll: » is it better in sub or dub? which gives a better feel?

i_m_a_hero_too - Jul 1, 2020

7 by Yukikaze_01 »»
Feb 14, 2022 1:59 PM

» Sword of the Stranger ending (warning: spoilers!) ( 1 2 3 )

NamariKirei - Feb 3, 2009

111 by Adampk »»
Feb 15, 2021 9:37 AM

» Anyone know if the subtitle issue with Funimations release has been fixed?

Nyren - Mar 8, 2017

0 by Nyren »»
Mar 8, 2017 2:30 PM

» Nanashi's and Rarou's Ethnicity

MiloZelenko - Jan 21, 2012

7 by nDroae »»
Mar 20, 2016 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.