Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 1:08 PM
Apr 2014
There are a lot of shows which you appreciate when you grow older as well as shows which you find shallow after certain age but rate as 10/10 as a teenager.

It would be very helpfull to have not just "8.81 score", but something like:
"7.31 for you / 8.91 overall" - where "for you" is "for your age group and gender". If clicked - it could show different rating for different age groups and genders like "7.2 for teenage girls, but 9.11 for teenage boys" e.t.c.

There also can be split for scores by "novice watcher with just 10 watched shows" and "experienced onces with 100+"
Feb 6, 3:09 PM

Oct 2014
Everyone on this site cares way too much about what things are rated. It would just be one more metric that people who attach their personal self-worth to TV shows would use to feel angry at other people for not agreeing with them.

*28 year old male virgin who rated Reincarnated As A Playboy And Seducing My Very Mature Yet Adorable 16 Year Old Half-Elf Younger Sister a 10/10*: "Heh. Women of my age rated this a 6.21 on average. They will never understand me. I should post about how much I hate women on Reddit!"
Feb 6, 3:12 PM

Nov 2021
Reply to 0207xander
Everyone on this site cares way too much about what things are rated. It would just be one more metric that people who attach their personal self-worth to TV shows would use to feel angry at other people for not agreeing with them.

*28 year old male virgin who rated Reincarnated As A Playboy And Seducing My Very Mature Yet Adorable 16 Year Old Half-Elf Younger Sister a 10/10*: "Heh. Women of my age rated this a 6.21 on average. They will never understand me. I should post about how much I hate women on Reddit!"
@0207xander LMFAOOO
Feb 6, 4:54 PM

Mar 2008
Age is completely arbitrary to one's experiences and views. Also not very possible with how MAL is set up. It doesnt really log when users rated something and some have hidden ages so it might be an issue to accidentally reveal ages of users that have it set to hide their birthday.

I will just bump my thread where i suggested this for gender since it is easier to impliment and although i dont generalize I sometimes wonder if shoujo anime get higher scores average when you can check female only ratings etc.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2120984
traedFeb 6, 4:58 PM
Feb 6, 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
Seems like an unnecessary, borderline tedious way to divide series into groups. Anime and manga already has an elitist problem and I think this could potentially make it worse. Pretty much @0207xander stated as well.
Feb 7, 1:37 AM

Sep 2016
I agree this would be very helpful to find stuff that probably suits better to oneself, especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users.
There is no need to deny that demographic data are highly relevant in the entertainment industry, not providing these data is just a lack of transparency.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 7, 4:02 AM

Sep 2019
Zarutaku said:
especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users
Source: https://myanimelist.net/advertising#user | I saw these stats just the other day (gender, age, country) and found them interesting to look at:
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Feb 7, 10:35 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to S_h_a_r_k_93
Zarutaku said:
especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users
Source: https://myanimelist.net/advertising#user | I saw these stats just the other day (gender, age, country) and found them interesting to look at:
@S_h_a_r_k_93

Those stats have been static for years on that page I believe. These look to be the latest stats

<Insert clever quote>
Feb 7, 1:03 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Zarutaku
I agree this would be very helpful to find stuff that probably suits better to oneself, especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users.
There is no need to deny that demographic data are highly relevant in the entertainment industry, not providing these data is just a lack of transparency.
@Zarutaku
Most users dont even put their gender so there would need to be the nondisclosed/unknown in stats page too not just male, female and non binary. I suspect a good number of the users unlisted are girls which is why MAL has such a wide gap
Feb 7, 1:11 PM

Sep 2018
I am 100% down for this change too. Anime were often made with demographics in mind, and it largely effects your enjoyment of said anime.

If one fails to give a sex or age just put them in their own category. Simple enough.
rohan121Feb 7, 1:17 PM
Feb 7, 7:07 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to rohan121
I am 100% down for this change too. Anime were often made with demographics in mind, and it largely effects your enjoyment of said anime.

If one fails to give a sex or age just put them in their own category. Simple enough.
@rohan121
In my own thread when I made same suggestion I pointed out you cant do age with how MAL is set up at least not easily. To do age they would have to record what age someone was when they rated so and so and they would have to record every consecutive change to the rating if they rewatch it or adjust their scores later. So I dont think it works well. Gender definitely can be done flaws aside.

You currently can just click on "stats" and see what people in your friend list rated something.
Feb 8, 12:21 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to traed
@rohan121
In my own thread when I made same suggestion I pointed out you cant do age with how MAL is set up at least not easily. To do age they would have to record what age someone was when they rated so and so and they would have to record every consecutive change to the rating if they rewatch it or adjust their scores later. So I dont think it works well. Gender definitely can be done flaws aside.

You currently can just click on "stats" and see what people in your friend list rated something.
@traed imho, if it would count just first watch and uses "start date" as a baseline - it would be enough and without too much complications. Altough it won't work with infinite shows, but these are exceptions to any rules
Feb 8, 12:31 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to lessfull
@traed imho, if it would count just first watch and uses "start date" as a baseline - it would be enough and without too much complications. Altough it won't work with infinite shows, but these are exceptions to any rules
@lessfull
Start date isnt automatically added so that wouldnt work either. Users have to manually add start date.
Feb 8, 12:51 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to traed
@lessfull
Start date isnt automatically added so that wouldnt work either. Users have to manually add start date.
@traed yeah, but same is age/gender, so people who add them would count. From my wild guess, most of people probably specify them
Feb 8, 2:50 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to traed
@lessfull
@traed true, but the finish date is automatically recorded when setting an entry completed in the personal list when using the +episode button and reaching the last episode, that's also when the vast majority adjusts the score for the last time and with finish date and birth date you got the age, it would be really simple and sufficiently accurate.
Oddly enough it does not set the finish date when setting as completed in the regular way, which is probably a bug that can be fixed easily.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 9, 8:52 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to 0207xander

@0207xander oh LOL

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
5 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
5 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Today

1 by Astachanna »»
5 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.