Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novels be separated into a separate category

New
Jan 31, 7:29 PM

Jul 2022
There are quite a lot of manga and LNs out there, and thus there are also manga adaptations of LNs and vice versa, and that just clutters up the entire Manga category. I suggest that we split them into 2 separate categories, being Manga and Light Novels/Novels. That would make it easier to sort them out.
Feb 1, 6:02 AM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
A lot of work for the backend of the website but I would agree that to distinctively draw a line between Manga and Light Novels would be a good idea. It's important to realize that both outlets greatly differ in their audiences/consumers because of the intricacies that come with reading an illustrated story vs a proper literary-focused work with varying levels of drawings hidden amongst to add to immersion.

The largest differences being:

• The plot can deviate entirely from the manga counterpart when a manga is adapted from the Light Novel
  • Different pacing between both series entirely almost always
  • There's also almost always some kind of chopping or removal of alot of the Light Novel content to cut down on how much needs to be drawn
  • The point above leads to alot of manga having "lost-in-transition" moments, where important lead-up/world-building is removed/chopped out of the manga for convenience.
  • Many Light Novels and Manga have differing art designs, not a con but another reason to differentiate.

There's also the factor of Web Novels vs Light Novels and how greatly just those can differ between each other even though they are created by the same author but further edited and ran through large amounts of revising and finalizing with a serialized publisher rather than just them writing up their work solo and putting it out there for fans to read and gain traction. I don't think Web Novels should or need to be added though, just another point of reference in how greatly just the official vs unofficial novel of the same names can differ to parallel with how much Manga differ from Light Novels.
Feb 1, 1:46 PM

Feb 2016
It was stupid of the website's owners to put them in the same category to begin with. I mean could you imagine if they hadn't given manga their own category, instead listing them under "anime?"
その目だれの目?
Feb 1, 6:16 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
It was stupid of the website's owners to put them in the same category to begin with. I mean could you imagine if they hadn't given manga their own category, instead listing them under "anime?"
@Lucifrost I can understand why LNs were mixed with manga and put in the same category at first. There weren't a lot of LNs in the database years ago. So I guess it could be one if reasons, or the only one, of treating LNs equally with manga titles by putting both types of works of art in one, the same category.

But these times are long gone now, and there is a huge number of light novels available in the database. That's why I can't think of any excuse that'd justify having LNs and manga entries together. in 2024. Different formats (comic vs. mostly text) , different main target of each... Like you said, it feels off as it would feel if there was one and just one category for both anime and manga, grouping them under the same category.

I guess we won't see anything change anytime soon, but it's nice to see seeing this small issue being mentioned once in a while.
Feb 14, 8:00 PM

Dec 2009
Several threads of this same topic and it's kinda surprising this has never been done yet.
I wish they'd remove manwha/etc. or at least get more manga mods to be up to date on manga.
So many missing manga and unupdated manga/etc.
Feb 15, 11:20 AM

Oct 2020
The same suggestion has been presented numerous times. Yet it hasn't been implemented. I guess the reason being that it is a lot of work for not a lot of repay. Because most people that come to this website, come because of anime and/or manga, rare are those that use MAL for light novels. I myself would love to have a separate sections for LNs but I just do not see it happening anytime soon, even though I hope it does.

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
Yesterday, 9:50 AM

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Yesterday

1 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 9:04 AM

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Yesterday, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.