Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 8:47 PM
Nov 2018
Am I the only who doesn't ship Maomao and Jinshi? I feel like Maomao all of sudden liking him after being turned off by him for so many episodes is weird. He also is a little creepy at times around her which makes me hate the ship further. I honestly feel like the anime would be great with the mc having romance and if she did, Maomao express she was attracted to men with more mature personalities like Gaoshun. If you like the ship, I'm curious as to why. Maybe I'm missing something.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 9:28 PM
Aug 2021
I can understand your dislike. I personally like their progress since the relationship so far doesn't feel too romantic, but more of a slow-burn development.
I think their dynamic is unique, but fits the Chinese palace setting well enough. Jinshi definitely has control of the power dynamic with his status, which is undeinable in their world. What I like is he doesn't used it to restrict her decisions (i.e. to leave or stay in palace). Maomao's just starting to notice him too, not because of his face, but after seeing his vulnerabilities.
Jan 6, 9:53 PM
Dec 2020
I like it because they have such good chemistry and their banter is so funny. I also love how Jinshi lets himself be vulnerable around her like when he cried 🥹. It really showed that he trusts her a lot and even though he's really goofy at times, it's clear he cares for her.
Jan 6, 9:56 PM
Jul 2022
I mean, there's a difference between ship and actual development.
From Maomao's pov we've only had one scene where she's actually demonstrated actual care for Jinshi (or at least enough to put up with him invading her personal space).
I don't think the anime has gone above and beyond to stablish any form of mutual feelings, as it is more of a one-sided interest from Jinshi's part.

Sure, there's a lot of romantic subtext between them but the anime brushes it off as Maomao thinking it's just Jinshi being Jinshi. Until the anime stablishes actual interest from Maomao's part I think it's unfair to criticize it as the anime trying to forcefully getting them together, which it clearly isn't doing as it is just paving the way for actual development through their dinamic.

Now, regarding the dinamic, I think it's fair enough to dislike it. From my perspective, it seems to me that it is kinda making fun of the "hot guy tries to get the girl who doesn't like him despite everyone else is fawning over him" trope. Some people think it's cute, some people think it's creepy so 🤷.
I think it ain't that bad since there's only a few instances where Jinshi is "using" this trope unironically to use Maomao. But you don't need too much media literacy to understand that in later episodes he just does it to tease her knowing it makes her uncomfortable but he doesn't really do anything bad nor does he do it with ill intentions (again, you can think this cute or creepy and I wouldn't judge you).

Edit: I wanted to add that me personally find the dinamic cute. I don't know if you're a guy or girl, but since I think this can become a pain point in case you respond. Yes, I know women who actually enjoy this kind of teasing dinamic in fiction; no, just because you think it's creepy doesn't make you right nor does it mean everyone else agrees with you no matter the sex or gender. (God, I hate that I have to make this disclaimer)
tAb0Jan 6, 10:40 PM
Jan 6, 10:25 PM
Dec 2022
Royalty459 said:
Am I the only who doesn't ship Maomao and Jinshi? I feel like Maomao all of sudden liking him after being turned off by him for so many episodes is weird. He also is a little creepy at times around her which makes me hate the ship further. I honestly feel like the anime would be great with the mc having romance and if she did, Maomao express she was attracted to men with more mature personalities like Gaoshun. If you like the ship, I'm curious as to why. Maybe I'm missing something.

honestly, I don't even want any crapoy romance to blossom between the both of them but the dumb shallow fans who only wants some stupid relationship would rather fantasize about both characters having something going on. disgusting.
Jan 6, 11:18 PM
Oct 2023
I personally don't like this ship the animé is good as how it is
Jan 6, 11:38 PM

Jun 2019
Royalty459 said:
I feel like Maomao all of sudden liking him after being turned off by him for so many episodes is weird.

I just watched the latest released episode minutes ago and can't say I noticed what you're talking about in anything depicted as of yet. Is it something which has been released in the TV anime series yet or are you referring to future developments you believe are hinted at or shared by readers of the original source material? Because so far in the actual anime series itself there has been no radical change in her feelings toward him either in her inner private thoughts and monologue or in her outward behavior and overall demeanor shown toward him during interactions.

If there's been any change in perception it seems more like the one of just giving anyone you work with or around and get to spend more time around in a shared environment a more balanced appraisal and fairer shake than you did upon harsh first impression, as you pick up on the subtleties of their mannerisms, motivations, and positives and negatives alike rather than just a snapshot caricature from seeing them from afar or from one shallow introductory conversation. That goes for anyone of any age, sex, and whether someone is romantically or sexually interested in them or not. It could be completely platonic. But the point is that he's at least at this point transcended a little the first stereotypical image of himself she first summoned to mind based just on his looks and official position.

It's pretty apparent for a number of reasons, whether by implication in the show or just by knowing any basic info about the series (like romance being listed as a genre for it on some websites) that it's leaning in that direction for the long haul and will eventually happen at some point, but so far there's been nothing but a natural, winding, bit by bit, fairly slow (by modern anime standards, anyway) development of their relationship just as two people first and foremost.
WatchTillTandavaJan 6, 11:41 PM
Jan 7, 12:05 AM

Apr 2021
Royalty459 said:

Aren’t you jumping the gun?

Moamoa has not changed from how she feels and is still uninterested.

He brought her back to work for him, but there is nothing pursued at this time.

It seems this will go one for a while before she changes her feelings.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 7, 1:43 AM
Jan 2023
Finally, glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like jinshi
Jan 7, 2:48 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread cleaned

If you don't like the thread, ignore it. Next off-topic post gets a warning.
Jan 7, 4:34 AM
Jul 2023
tele_fon said:
I can understand your dislike. I personally like their progress since the relationship so far doesn't feel too romantic, but more of a slow-burn development.
I think their dynamic is unique, but fits the Chinese palace setting well enough. Jinshi definitely has control of the power dynamic with his status, which is undeinable in their world. What I like is he doesn't used it to restrict her decisions (i.e. to leave or stay in palace). Maomao's just starting to notice him too, not because of his face, but after seeing his vulnerabilities.

I agree and love this take. Maomao hasn’t even acknowledged that she likes him and I think it’s going to take a lot to see that happen. But I do agree his vulnerability makes him more alluring to her and the fact he rewards her with gifts she’s actually can use/interested in. He has all the power in their dynamic which they’re both hyper aware. But he still doesn’t throw it around without thinking of how it affects her which is a step in the right direction. But I don’t believe a ship is being forced considering it’s very one sided. I think them finding intellectual counterparts is the most MaoMao acknowledges currently
PrimayannaJan 7, 4:38 AM
Jan 7, 5:46 AM
Nov 2023
I do like the pairing with Jinshi, I haven't read the manga but I can probably bet that it's a playful twist on the enemies to lovers trope. That said, I do get the feeling that Maomao would be better suited with Gaoshun. Maybe it's an odd pairing but I feel like they'd be more reasonable together
Jan 7, 5:59 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I feel like Maomao still not in term of liking Jinshi tho. Perhaps there's a bit of a sparks considering the latest episode of him bought her back to the palace. But not that fast i guess. So chill, i don't like Jinshi guts as well, but Maomao needs stay on the palace rather than in the brothel.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 7, 6:03 AM

Mar 2011
I initially shipped them but now I don't know what to think of them anymore since I've read some spoiler. Then again, that includes how I feel about them as characters in general. So I kind of understand where you are coming from with this question.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Jan 7, 6:11 AM
Nov 2020
I’m all for it. Sorry hopeless romantic I guess 😆 i think it’s implied that Maomo is starting to feel something towards Jinshi but it seems mostly one sided at this point. I love her personality. It’s so refreshing to see a FL that isn’t immediately falling for the ML. And Jinshi genuinely cares for her even if he can’t admit it.
Jan 7, 7:30 AM
Aug 2021
I personally love the ship and the slow burn development. I get your point but maomao didn't fall for his looks and as the story progresses she starts to learn more about jinshi as a person she will fall for him. Though I do expect their to be a little bit more romance and chemistry between them to enhance the progression, I think their pair is quite good considering the circumstances and believes they both have...
Jan 7, 7:33 AM
Aug 2021
Umm for those who do ship them, can I get some anime recommendations with similar chemistry where their is slow burn development in their relationship and the FL doesn't immediately fall for the ML, even though the ML likes her. Also the story isn't completely focused on their relationship and the anime has more to it...If anyone could give me some recommendations, I'd be very grateful!
Jan 7, 9:05 AM
Aug 2019
This one I agree with. She’s flat out not interested; no reason why they should ship.
Jan 7, 9:50 AM
Jan 2021
I don’t either. I’m not sure how I’ll like this arc too, I really liked the rear palace. But tbh, I don’t really remember her liking him in the latest episode. She’s kind of always treated him like boss/worker. I can see it happening that way though, but I hope not.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 7, 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
I’ve only seen short clips of the anime on YouTube, but doesn’t she get major chills and shiver in disgust whenever he tries to get close to her and rizz her though? She seems very genuinely uncomfortable and repulsed whenever he tries to flirt with her, so yeah, it does come across as a pretty weird and forced ship if you ask me. Maybe my opinion might change if I end up watching the anime though, or maybe not lol
Jan 7, 5:34 PM

Apr 2013
Same, he's just harassing her all the time and she is uncomfortable around him. So gross, I hate it.
Jan 7, 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
There's like... no romance though. None at all. Maomao is still thinking the same exact thoughts as she did from the first episode. The only thing that's changed is that they might have grown closer as friends and their character dynamics bouncing against one another is so fun I could watch them all day with their bantering. This anime is like the perfect of perfect slow burns if there is one growing, because all they've done together so far is owing each other favors for helping out.

[Artist] • [Streamer] • [Writer]
Seasonal Anime Watcher!
Jan 8, 4:52 AM

Jan 2018
I don't understand why people ship them either. Jinshi is being forceful and doesn't seem to care about Maomao's consent (when he tried to force her to lick honey off his finger) and Maomao's expressed the type of men she liked. I saw too few people complain about this ship and Jinshi's personality even though the West is supposed to have so much feminists.
Jan 8, 7:57 AM

Apr 2013
SHe doesn't like the "facade" /fake version of him that he usually displays around, playing his role. When he actually acts his age and doesn't play fake, she said (and that was like 6+ episodes ago) that she liked that way better.
Jan 8, 4:14 PM

Jun 2009
Reply to Primayanna
tele_fon said:

I agree and love this take. Maomao hasn’t even acknowledged that she likes him and I think it’s going to take a lot to see that happen. But I do agree his vulnerability makes him more alluring to her and the fact he rewards her with gifts she’s actually can use/interested in. He has all the power in their dynamic which they’re both hyper aware. But he still doesn’t throw it around without thinking of how it affects her which is a step in the right direction. But I don’t believe a ship is being forced considering it’s very one sided. I think them finding intellectual counterparts is the most MaoMao acknowledges currently
@Primayanna She hasn't acknowledged it, and I'd say it would probably take 5 seasons or more unless even the tiniest thing changes in Maomao
bc damn y'all can't fathom just the sheer stubbornness in her, let alone the amount of dense and misunderstanding that makes this a eon-long wait to happen lmao

ergo idk why people feel attacked, the show is ages away from Maomao even understanding what's the deal with Jinshi, as far as it stands it really unrequited and nothing more

I do wanna add tho that Jinshi is not as bad as some people make him out to be, he is a...fairly young person in love for the first time, and one in a immense position of power, yet he gives it his best to never misuse said power to make her something she really despises. I also don't agree with people saying Jinshi only feels interested bc she's his new toy, I think the current episodes made that clear as well; even Gaoshun reprimands himself for still calling her toy
Jan 8, 4:20 PM

Aug 2021
There is no reason for this ship
its a fire and water thing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 4:34 PM

Jun 2009
Reply to kusairo
I’ve only seen short clips of the anime on YouTube, but doesn’t she get major chills and shiver in disgust whenever he tries to get close to her and rizz her though? She seems very genuinely uncomfortable and repulsed whenever he tries to flirt with her, so yeah, it does come across as a pretty weird and forced ship if you ask me. Maybe my opinion might change if I end up watching the anime though, or maybe not lol
@kusairo Lol yeah maybe you should actually watch it haha bc then you'd knew that the part that creeps her out is him acting like that perfect heavenly maiden as he's described in the manga, the picture perfect Eunuch
but over time he's increasingly okay with her seeing his real self. Maomao is always sure to comment on whenever he feels more like a boy her age, and when he feels like a creepy worm she wanna stomp on lol

anyway the "rizz her" is exactly the part she hates the most, everything else is not exactly hate-material
Jan 8, 4:38 PM

Apr 2020
It's not even a romance, so Im guessing this is also as far as it gets.

Jinshi trying to tease Momo, Momo beeing abrasive. It's almost Ship-Teasing.
Don't really like it either.
Jan 8, 4:55 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to ScrewFiction
@kusairo Lol yeah maybe you should actually watch it haha bc then you'd knew that the part that creeps her out is him acting like that perfect heavenly maiden as he's described in the manga, the picture perfect Eunuch
but over time he's increasingly okay with her seeing his real self. Maomao is always sure to comment on whenever he feels more like a boy her age, and when he feels like a creepy worm she wanna stomp on lol

anyway the "rizz her" is exactly the part she hates the most, everything else is not exactly hate-material
@ScrewFiction I'll definitely be checking out the anime sometime in the future, and I'll see if my opinion on the ship changes or not 👌
Jan 9, 8:27 AM
Aug 2021
i read what we already have in manga, and their relashionship hasn't changed so far, and manga adapted 4 volumes until now, and i think there is already 11 or 13 volumes in the novel, and their relashionship looks like will change a bit, but I'm still not sure the author will really make a romance, given that I heard it doesn't like jinshi's character
Jan 11, 5:17 AM

Jun 2009
I'm gonna say this in the most non spoilery way possible, but after seeing today some LN 13 spoilers on twitter I can say: hoo boy have I bad news for some of y'all lol.
Better abandon ship now before it gets too late

also: frog.
Jan 12, 10:20 AM
Jan 2017
she hasn't been shown liking him though
Jan 12, 12:07 PM
Mar 2018
You're about to be really upset if this anime gets anymore seasons, I can't spoil anything though. The biggest factor why it seems one sided and even gross is because as said in the anime multiple times it's less trouble and less risky if maomao ignores everything she's not supposed to know. Jinshi is a higher power than her, maomao is just basically a maid. The reason Jinshi wanted her to take the palace exam is because it makes her status higher within the court. Yes he's selfish at times but Jinshi knows this and betters himself. He doesn't want maomao to be hurt and if she doesn't want him then that's just how it is. Sometimes he's impulsive. He's a human ffs. Both the manga and anime don't portray this as well as the LN especially less internal thoughts of Jinshi. And not to mention but **this is a comedy** stop taking it so serious. And yes it's a slowburn. To jinshi he is trying his best with the power he does have, it doesn't mean it's the smartest, his life has been completely different from hers and of course there is little to no communication between the two either. He's a totally oblivious nut, and maomao is oblivious by choice. It's cute, it's funny, let it be that okay? There's been far worse and actually predatory relationships in anime. And this is not one of them. Yes including what happened in that *one* chapter. Iykyk. I know it made a lot of manga readers angry desu.
Jan 12, 12:10 PM
Mar 2018
ScrewFiction said:
I'm gonna say this in the most non spoilery way possible, but after seeing today some LN 13 spoilers on twitter I can say: hoo boy have I bad news for some of y'all lol.

Must've been a small frog
Jan 13, 5:08 AM

Feb 2017
Are people seriously out here shipping her with Gaoshun tf isn't he like twice her age?!
Jan 13, 5:48 AM

Sep 2020
Stop letting a non-issue affect your enjoyment of the show ffs. Also, don't forget that Jinshi is like one year older than Maomao if that's what making it weird for you. But then again, you mentioned Gao Shun who is a married man and has kids💀
samsince04Jan 13, 5:52 AM

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jan 13, 5:49 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to rebirthx
Are people seriously out here shipping her with Gaoshun tf isn't he like twice her age?!
@rebirthx Yh bro has multiple kids as well😂

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jan 13, 3:50 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Kyrinis
Umm for those who do ship them, can I get some anime recommendations with similar chemistry where their is slow burn development in their relationship and the FL doesn't immediately fall for the ML, even though the ML likes her. Also the story isn't completely focused on their relationship and the anime has more to it...If anyone could give me some recommendations, I'd be very grateful!
@Kyrinis chihayafuru maybe? it's kind of a love triangle but it checks most of the boxes from what you said
Jan 14, 5:32 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to yukinoneno
ScrewFiction said:

Must've been a small frog
@yukinoneno Nah Maomao thinks, and I quote

so even if she calls it moderate it's only to downplay the situation lol
also I saw a spoiler on Twitter before I read the manga (which was the final nail that made me read it) from the author or mangaka what a frog it was and the things she mentioned get huge, so there's that

also I'm glad that people now seem to know that Gaoshun is a married man with kids, reading all the "Maomao and Gaoshun are the better ship" comments made me cringe lol

at the end I can only say that @samsince04 and @yukinoneno said it best in their post before the one I quoted
Jan 14, 6:19 AM
Nov 2018
samsince04 said:
Stop letting a non-issue affect your enjoyment of the show ffs. Also, don't forget that Jinshi is like one year older than Maomao if that's what making it weird for you. But then again, you mentioned Gao Shun who is a married man and has kids💀

I don't ship Maomao and Gaoshun I'm saying personality wise, she said that's her type.
Jan 14, 9:06 AM

Aug 2011
Reply to YanYan
There is no reason for this ship
its a fire and water thing
@yaawwwnnnn Disney/Pixar made an entire movie about it, lol
Jan 14, 9:09 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to issen-ken-taka
@yaawwwnnnn Disney/Pixar made an entire movie about it, lol
@issen-ken-taka wahts the name gonna watch it now xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 9:11 AM

Aug 2011
Reply to YanYan
@issen-ken-taka wahts the name gonna watch it now xD
@yaawwwnnnn Elemental. Not that great though, from what I heard.
Jan 14, 9:13 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to issen-ken-taka
@yaawwwnnnn Elemental. Not that great though, from what I heard.
@issen-ken-taka OHHHH

I've been trying to watch that for a while
Jan 17, 10:26 AM
Nov 2023
I agree that her sudenly notticing him is strange but i stil wanna see where they would go with this
Jan 18, 10:38 AM

Feb 2019
I don't understand why people are thinking of it as a fan ship or acting like it's not a thing when the show is actively pushing for romance between them. Maybe you don't like them together and that's fine but it's weird to act like there is no romance being pushed or reason to ship them when there plainly is, it's a blatant aspect of the show.

Anyway, I don't care if they get together or not but I find their interactions charming, even if it stayed as one-sided. In a circumstance like this though I think a romance has a lot of promise, imo romances flourish best when they're not the main focus.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Apr 15, 2:31 AM
Mar 2024
Something about her doesnt look like she would gain a love interest if im being really honest.

>gets shivers when jin shi flirts? rizzes? her up (infact i kinda wouldnt be surprised if she likes women atp tbh, her reactions with women are like more toleratable than with jinshi)
>doesnt react to Jinshi's comments
>doesnt correct him trying to rizz her up like she just wanna get away from him
>literally tries to ignore him
> Interacting with him kinda pisses her off a bit
> Shes one of the very few people that actively and obviously doesn't like jinshi's "fake" personality and i really sorta think its a waste of character 😭
>maomao looks really short like an actual minor

i feel like their genuine energy only syncs up to like a good duo. i cant find any romantic stuff that goes between them. and the jinmao shippers are already starting to piss me off 😭i feel like they would really be a good partner in crime as their humor kinda goes well together.

them being together feels a bit forced by readers tbf. and im really tired of the FL starts off with them not falling for ML's tactics but then they actually fall in love with them. feels like its ruining one of the most looking-forward personalities of FLs. and im not talking about jinshi's "lust" or the "shitty personality before" some redditors say either 😭😭.

I also fr cannot understand how jinshi went after her just less than 10 episodes in like i was not ready for a love interest that fast if im gonna be honest
Apr 15, 4:10 AM

Apr 2012
She hasn't fallen in love with him yet. She just began to feel a certain attraction and sympathy due to the fact that she got to know his good sides better. I also wouldn't say that he's creepy or that she's not attracted to him. She was always open about the fact that she thought he was very handsome. It's just a typical manzai dynamic where the reasonable smart girl ignores the perfect but silly obsessive bishonen.
Apr 16, 10:36 AM
Aug 2023
Idk about shipping but they sure do have goofy chemistry, kind of like chill buddies
Apr 16, 10:00 PM
Aug 2013
Jinshi and MaoMao have a great chemistry together, I love how their relationship is progressing and both care for each other so much.
I think "Jinshi" is more an act and will show his true personality later.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

257 by gabri-ns »»
Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

203 by TheOtherJN »»
May 13, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

113 by badabass »»
May 11, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 2

95 by Playcool »»
May 11, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

243 by badabass »»
May 11, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.