Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 20, 2023 4:32 PM

Mar 2017
FMA:B is great, there's nothing I particularly dislike about it. However, there's not much that's too memorable about it either and I think that's the main issue. It has an interesting world and a fresh magic system, but its main claim to fame nowadays is Nina... The shows that tend to stick in my mind are the ones that were thought-provoking, inspiring and/or very touching. Personally, FMA:B doesn't quite reach that level. It's entertaining.
Nov 20, 2023 4:51 PM
Jan 2022
Not even my fave anime but the level of coherence in characters, plot progression, revelation is far above than most animes. It's not perfect but gave it 10/10 for the sheer satisfaction of witnessing a series with very few loose ends.
Nov 20, 2023 7:31 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
The main villains in both versions are boring. Otherwise, it's perfect.
Nov 20, 2023 8:57 PM
May 2023
it almost have near to no flaws
one of my favorites
Nov 20, 2023 9:06 PM
Oct 2023
I liked this show a lot, but I didn’t feel connected to it like I have for other anime. My two comments (which have been noted by others):
1) it’s not very funny. Most action shonen like Demon Slayer are really funny and balance out the seriousness of the show. There were jokes in FMA, but none of them really got me laughing hard.
2) I felt invested in Al and Ed’s story, and I wanted Al to return to his body, but I didn’t really *connect* to either of them, especially Ed. He’s the main character, but I didn’t find him really lovable like many shonen MCs. He’s pretty immature and annoying at times—obviously that contributes to a greater character arc for him, but still.
Nov 21, 2023 12:50 AM
Sep 2023
Alex_the_reaper said:
sangonomiya_k said:
I see absolutely no flaw in FMAB, my favorite anime of all time (i’m very passionate about fmab :D) so to those who’s favorite anime isn’t fmab, what is it at you don’t like about fmab?

some characters are a bit wasted and couldve been used more
the animation its not the top tier we have rn
the humour was very dry in most of its uses
the pacing was a bit on the slow side at the start
i felt some detours the story took were a little unnecessary and almost felt like fillers

FMAB its an amazing show but i think it is slighly overrated by MAL fans who simply dont want it to get out of spot #1. it's an amazingly written story with a very good plot but i never saw it as a 100/10, it just didn't trigger a lasting reaction in my brain like other shows

yesss exactly! I find that in the series that have a long lasting effect on me, it’s most often because I found several characters to have a captivating sort of depth or particularly interesting personality.. I think an emotional attachment to characters is one of the most important factors in creating a manga/anime that people will think about for a long long time after it’s ending..
however, when I think about FMAB, I can see it had an objectively great story and interesting/cool (enough) characters to get me to finish it and find some entertainment in the series… But I also felt that majority of the characters lacked emotional depth, regardless of how emotional of a moment or backstory they had. I never felt a tearjerker moment, nor do I ever really think about FMAB until it’s brought up by someone else. It was really difficult for me to CARE about many of the characters or the storyline. I also felt that the ending climax was just kinda difficult to care about & almost felt like it came out of absolutely nowhere and suddenly was in full effect.
Idk I don’t want to be a hater and I did LIKE the series, but it didn’t leave much of a mark on me. Perhaps I was a bit distracted & bees to give it a rewatch one of these days.
I can see that it’s objectively a well-done & unique (plot) for a shounen, but I want to LOVE it the way I see so many others do!
Nov 21, 2023 1:24 AM
Mar 2021
Fmab is good without flaws, but it isn’t the best in terms of story.
I like Gintama for life lessons and comedy, Monster of story telling, haikyuu for progression and one piece for adventure. Violet evergarden for emotions. Fmab isn’t like that. It’s “Jack of all trades, master of none “. There’s is not one thing that’s stands above and beyond, but the a sense of bad things is so rare that it’s considered the best by many. It is a good one for me, 8/10, but not the best.

Also

Most of us don’t like the fact that fans of fmab consider every other show shit. The fmab fanbase here review bombed every other anime that has overtaken it. AOT s3, fruits basket, Gintama etc.

The fandom is so toxic it make many fans of other anime hate fmab for that sole reason.
Nov 21, 2023 5:50 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to kaleHoneylettuce
Fmab is good without flaws, but it isn’t the best in terms of story.
I like Gintama for life lessons and comedy, Monster of story telling, haikyuu for progression and one piece for adventure. Violet evergarden for emotions. Fmab isn’t like that. It’s “Jack of all trades, master of none “. There’s is not one thing that’s stands above and beyond, but the a sense of bad things is so rare that it’s considered the best by many. It is a good one for me, 8/10, but not the best.

Also

Most of us don’t like the fact that fans of fmab consider every other show shit. The fmab fanbase here review bombed every other anime that has overtaken it. AOT s3, fruits basket, Gintama etc.

The fandom is so toxic it make many fans of other anime hate fmab for that sole reason.
@kaleHoneylettuce

Way to overgeneralize and blame FMAB fans without actual proof. And what you are talking about is rating bombing, not review bombing. Learn the difference. Monster has flaws in the story too btw.

FMAB is overrated all the same.
DaretlkNov 21, 2023 5:55 AM
Nov 21, 2023 5:53 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to Daretlk
@kaleHoneylettuce

Way to overgeneralize and blame FMAB fans without actual proof. And what you are talking about is rating bombing, not review bombing. Learn the difference. Monster has flaws in the story too btw.

FMAB is overrated all the same.
@Daretlk did I say monster was the best? I said each has their very strong points, which fmab lacks.

Also giving rating is a part of review. Doesn’t matter which term I used, does it not? My point was made, which you understood

What do you mean actual proof? I was their when fruits baskets aired, and many posts were made in this forums asking to increasing Rati g of this and bomb that. Go to way back machine and check if you want.
Nov 21, 2023 5:53 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to tpazsuperstar
Alex_the_reaper said:
sangonomiya_k said:
I see absolutely no flaw in FMAB, my favorite anime of all time (i’m very passionate about fmab :D) so to those who’s favorite anime isn’t fmab, what is it at you don’t like about fmab?

some characters are a bit wasted and couldve been used more
the animation its not the top tier we have rn
the humour was very dry in most of its uses
the pacing was a bit on the slow side at the start
i felt some detours the story took were a little unnecessary and almost felt like fillers

FMAB its an amazing show but i think it is slighly overrated by MAL fans who simply dont want it to get out of spot #1. it's an amazingly written story with a very good plot but i never saw it as a 100/10, it just didn't trigger a lasting reaction in my brain like other shows

yesss exactly! I find that in the series that have a long lasting effect on me, it’s most often because I found several characters to have a captivating sort of depth or particularly interesting personality.. I think an emotional attachment to characters is one of the most important factors in creating a manga/anime that people will think about for a long long time after it’s ending..
however, when I think about FMAB, I can see it had an objectively great story and interesting/cool (enough) characters to get me to finish it and find some entertainment in the series… But I also felt that majority of the characters lacked emotional depth, regardless of how emotional of a moment or backstory they had. I never felt a tearjerker moment, nor do I ever really think about FMAB until it’s brought up by someone else. It was really difficult for me to CARE about many of the characters or the storyline. I also felt that the ending climax was just kinda difficult to care about & almost felt like it came out of absolutely nowhere and suddenly was in full effect.
Idk I don’t want to be a hater and I did LIKE the series, but it didn’t leave much of a mark on me. Perhaps I was a bit distracted & bees to give it a rewatch one of these days.
I can see that it’s objectively a well-done & unique (plot) for a shounen, but I want to LOVE it the way I see so many others do!
@tpazsuperstar

It's still better than AoT.
Nov 21, 2023 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Undoubtedly the worst thing is their toxic fanbase, surely they are already happy because they knocked Frieren out of first place with only 1 star votes.
Nov 21, 2023 12:09 PM

Jul 2020
I heard someone say it has a lot of plot holes. I don't remember any from when I watched the show but if there are please do tell me.

Also the diehard fans on MAL (and maybe other places too but idk) are really toxic, just look at the review bombing of every anime that get's even close the overtaking FMAB in the ranking. I recently removed FMAB from my favorites after about 2 years just because I didn't want to be associated with them.

Nov 21, 2023 12:17 PM

Mar 2023
The start is weak/rushed, it's basically a redo of the start (since FMA already adapted that), but as a worse version. I know they just wanted to get it done to get to the new content from the manga, but that is exactly how the start feels, episodes to just get done quickly with.
For example the impact of the Nina incident is better in the original FMA where they take a few episodes for it as opposed to one episode here on top of which you can tell it will happen here (can't see Shou's eyes)
Nov 21, 2023 3:08 PM
Nov 2023
Just some diferences between the original anime, everything else is fine
Nov 21, 2023 4:32 PM
Oct 2022
Ripperdoc said:
GoCrayzee said:

Anime humor never is

Well someone who dropped Grand Blue, won't understand gold comedy I guess.

Grand Blue was a bunch of douchebag college guys drinking and getting naked for the first ten minutes, which put me off completely. Should have had a better hook.
Nov 23, 2023 6:23 PM

Dec 2016
There are actually quite a few flaws:
  • Some poor tonal handling with too many serious/dramatic moments stained by not-so-funny, unfitting comedy. Especially regarding Edward's height.
  • Especially for those who have seen the first 2003 version, it becomes evident how overly fast-paced the whole beginning is, by rushing through or entirely skipping many relevant/key scenes and moments related to the introduction of characters, backgrounds and the world the series takes place in. It happily assumed everyone had already seen the first version so this time there was no need for much of that, which was a mistake.
  • Doesn't characterize and treat the main villain group as well as the first 2003 version does. Especially Sloth, who in this version instead of a character, is a mere "tool".
  • The whole conflict with Dracma had a sort of "nobody was asking for this" vibe. It would have been better not to include it at all.
  • Given the general dramatic tone of the show, the series misses the opportunity of a more emotionally impactful conclusion thanks to an "and they lived happily ever after" approach.
  • Mei Chang.
Nov 23, 2023 9:23 PM
Mar 2023
I think the beginning of it is kind of weak, especially compared to FMA 2003. Liore was crafted to be the beginning of the series, but Brotherhood decided to start with this filler character instead and they introduce us to way too many characters right off the bat. I love the military characters, but the anime is about Edward and Alphonse, we need to establish their goals and bond first. Mustang the other characters can come later. Plus they skip over Yoki's introduction, Nina's storyline is still good but less good in my opinion. I appreciated it being given more time in the old series. It's still a great anime, one of the best, but it relies heavily on the audience having seen the first anime or read the manga, instead of just being able to stand on its own.
Nov 24, 2023 9:26 AM

Aug 2020
How dare you even consider this question? This series was made by the gods of Olympus themelves, and the ones who don't praise it are clearly haters and should be expelled from society.

Nov 24, 2023 9:29 AM

Aug 2020
Nah just kidding

The humor is repetitive and not that funny, the main villain kinda suck, the beginning is weak and the conclusion is too Hollywoodianesque.

Overall, it is something decent but not the peak of mankind's creation.

Nov 25, 2023 7:40 AM
May 2017
only problem in this show is that they skipped a very important flashback about the Ishval war
Nov 25, 2023 7:45 AM
Mar 2023
Nothin.

It's the definition of Perfection
Nov 25, 2023 7:32 PM
Mar 2013
For me it is a 10/10 but as bad I can say:

1. The abuse of comedy in some moments.

2. Edward's voice. Romi Park does it well but it bothers me that the adolescent/adult male characters have a woman's voice. When Ed screams my ears hurt.
Nov 26, 2023 6:20 AM
Sep 2020
The anime almost none,except the fans that rates other anime to 1/10 to keep it to number 1.
Nov 26, 2023 7:54 AM

Jun 2020
it is one of the best anime oat for sure but i cannot see it as the best because i love hxh and gintama more
Nov 26, 2023 10:58 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to georgecretuu1
it is one of the best anime oat for sure but i cannot see it as the best because i love hxh and gintama more
@georgecretuu1, not is not the best, simply there are so many people here on MAL who watched it.
Nov 26, 2023 1:33 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Memore
@georgecretuu1, not is not the best, simply there are so many people here on MAL who watched it.
@Memore i didn t say is the best but anyway, anyone can consider it the best since it s their opinion and everything here is up to everyone s taste, it s not objective or smth
Nov 26, 2023 8:11 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to georgecretuu1
@Memore i didn t say is the best but anyway, anyone can consider it the best since it s their opinion and everything here is up to everyone s taste, it s not objective or smth
@georgecretuu1, you are right.
Nov 26, 2023 8:27 PM

Jan 2022
Not my preferred genre nor it is to my tastes, but it's so well-made I can't rate it other than a masterpiece.
Nov 26, 2023 9:04 PM
Oct 2020
Its not bad. Its just mid. Not great, not terrible
Dec 25, 2023 2:18 PM

Apr 2015
Nothing bad nothing good, except OP song
Mar 7, 8:48 AM
Jun 2019
it doesn't have any flaws. It is too safe. That is why i don't really like it as much as many people praising it. But it still a good one
Mar 9, 4:07 PM
Dec 2013
Winry. Don't like her. Most annoying character in the show.
wildhoodMar 9, 4:11 PM
Apr 21, 8:53 PM
Jul 2021
It doesn't have as high highs as other series. The characters aren't good other than Bradley, Greed, and the brothers. Hohenheim was fine but he didn't have a lot of screentime. The ending was nice but the final battle was boring. Main villain kind of sucked. The series was also safe. Mid humor. What saves this series is the animation and consistently interesting story. It will definitely be dethroned by a Berserk, Vagabond, SBR, or Slam Dunk adaptation. If not already by the new #1
Yesterday, 3:13 AM
Jan 2021
I'm at around episode 25 and my only complaint so far is that some of the scene are executed like toooo shonen, like lust piercing roy mustang sides and then she thought, he couldn't go back up and obviously it backfired for lust, there's also some other scenes but their pretty minor

Aside from that it's been pretty amazing
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.