Forum Settings
Forums

Able to view ratings by user gender demographics

New
Oct 2, 2023 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
While this might be somewhat futile since there is some unknown number of users who put a gender on their profile other than what theirs is but it would be interesting to see how male, female, non-binary, and unspecified users rate things similarly or different from eachother for any anime or manga.

Age wouldnt be a good idea since everyone just gets older so it would have no accuracy whatsoever.

Would be nice if it was by continent of user origin too but Im don't think that is even possible on MAL with how many users have fake locations due to being able to fill in whatever in the space and no standard on how locations are written. So gender is only one that might actually work because it is a drop down selection.
Oct 2, 2023 10:16 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting idea. The more stats, the better.
Oct 2, 2023 10:44 PM

Feb 2017
For region based i think they can just use ip address to detect original location when giving rating, i doubt people want to use vpn just for rating an anime.
-
-
Oct 2, 2023 10:52 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Luc36
For region based i think they can just use ip address to detect original location when giving rating, i doubt people want to use vpn just for rating an anime.
@Luc36
Maybe but it would have to scrub the IP address and just record the region someone comes from. IP ranges for countries change over time.

Some people do use VPNs at all times though.
Oct 2, 2023 11:42 PM

Feb 2017
Reply to traed
@Luc36
Maybe but it would have to scrub the IP address and just record the region someone comes from. IP ranges for countries change over time.

Some people do use VPNs at all times though.
@traed I mean just for the final average score based on region, but for each scoring and countries, i guess it's impossible.
something like this
-
-
Feb 6, 4:54 PM

Mar 2008
Someone was suggesting something similar so bumping this.
Feb 7, 1:45 AM

Sep 2016
I agree this would be very helpful to find stuff that probably suits better to oneself, especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users.
There is no need to deny that demographic data are highly relevant in the entertainment industry, not providing these data is just a lack of transparency.

I disagree on age not being accurate, they just need to save the age of the users when they last rated the entry, then it won't change when they get older.
I know there are users who lie about their age and gender, but they probably are a minority that can be neglected.
ZarutakuFeb 7, 1:48 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 7, 3:45 AM

Sep 2019
Zarutaku said:
especially for females because ~75% of the scores on MAL are from male users
Source: https://myanimelist.net/advertising#user | I saw these stats just the other day (gender, age, country) and found them interesting to look at:
Did you know that Notes are public? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let the devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
3 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 11 hours ago

1 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.