Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2023 5:46 AM
Aug 2022
Spoilers of ending of the violet evergarden movie
Sorry for spelling mistake and grammatical errors
TLDR;
The ending is unoriginal and full of clichés, character regression, ruining both Violet's and Gilbert's character, even though he barely had any, and IS IN SUPPORT OF GROOMING. In the first movie, Violet literally says Gilbert raised her. He was her father figure. The anime also made their relationship ambiguous, well until the movie.
My reasons
So the ending ruined Violet's character by making her dependant on Gilbert again, ruining the theme of identity and independence both the anime and first movie worked on. Violet goes from someone not being able to do anything without Gilbert's command to a strong, independent and a highly emotionally intelligent woman. She even starts asking herself what she wants for herself. But due to this ending now Violet has gone back to being dependant to Gilbert. A total 360. Her character has gone back to being dependant on him. Would have been better if they let Gilbert stay dead and Violet has to come to terms with that and find herself. And Gilbert is fickle as heck. It takes a simple letter for him to change his mind. Just one letter. Even though he directly refused her before when she basically told him the same thing. And he decided to not go back for 4 years(I think). It's just not good writing in my opinion
The ending is also full of clichés I mean the running towards each other as the sun sets or something as you can hear what the letter says in the background. The writing of this show should be so much better than this
And the grooming. It's not pedophilia but goddamn that doesn't make it better. THE FIRST MOVIE LITERALLY SAID HE RAISED HER. WHY ARE PEOPLE OK WITH THIS? It's disgusting cuz it's grooming. If they were gonna bring back Gilbert and make Violet say I love you to him, it should have been in a father daughter relationship.
They also kinda ruined the theme of love here(bit of an exaggeration). This is just my opinion but would have been better if they continued with the words 'I love you' can be used in different ways rather than in a romantic context. Like they did in the anime. I mean, didn't they make the relationship between Violet and Gilbert a mystery because they wanted to show I love you can be expressed to different people who are still essentially your loved ones. It's not really that bad so they didn't really exactly ruin it. I just thought this movie would be more emotionally intelligent.
So, in conclusion, the ending is horrible and kinda ruins not only the movie but the entire story. The entire movie itself isn't even that good. Of course the Animation and music slaps but it reuses ideas like the Yuris sub plot(it was sad but it was just episode 10 done kinda differently) and just being unoriginal and using clichés.The beginning of the movie is slow as well. And the movie ruined its main character and ruined some of Themes of Violet Evergarden as well. The series deserved better than this ending nd this movie because it is genuinely amazing. Its a 9 outta 10 without this movie as the first movie is also really good as well.
This is just my opinion, you can tell me where you disagree below. Everyone is entitled to like what they like or not. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is just mine. And I think the ending is horrible.

Edit: I improved my arguments down the thread so it would make more sense. A lot of people also made good notes against and for the ending of this movie(and the movie in general). Not tryna start trouble, just stating an opinion. I actually love the show, it's a 9. It was just that I hated the movie because the anime was one of my favourites until now cuz the ending ruined it. Not tryna start another hate thread. I had assumed not a lot of people talked about this movie enough cuz it's so high rated. So yh
HeSaidAriseSep 3, 2023 10:40 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 3, 2023 5:51 AM

Feb 2021
I agree so much. This movie sucks and anybody who likes it doesn’t chew before they swallow.
Sep 3, 2023 5:53 AM

Apr 2012
Love it or hate it, the franchise's ending is pretty typical for this type of story.
Sep 3, 2023 5:59 AM
May 2023
Agreed. The first movie clears and you’re better off not watching the second one.

Crazy that people thought an adoptive father (almost 20 year age gap) and also a superior at work, would be a good love interest for Violet Evergarden.
Sep 3, 2023 6:00 AM

Dec 2021
Indeed, this is by far one of the worst fanservice endings of all time
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Sep 3, 2023 6:16 AM

Apr 2022
I didn't read your comment but I agree. Love Violet Evergarden. Hate the movie
Sep 3, 2023 6:21 AM
Sep 2022
What the hell did I just read br...
Sep 3, 2023 6:22 AM
Jan 2022
Yeah. It felt like all the character development Violet made all disappeared during the movie.
Sep 3, 2023 6:32 AM
Aug 2022
the movie was so damn good IMO
Sep 3, 2023 6:46 AM
May 2017
I agree. It was a pretty lazy ending. The Major mysteriously survived and was missing just to provide a plot. I don't doubt that the author started with the idea that he was dead and decided to "resurrect" him at the end only to close the anime with a romance for Violet. I also thought it was a big regression, because I also saw that Major was like a father figure for her. Violet's obsession with him bothered me the whole anime, I thought in the end she would get over it.
Sep 3, 2023 7:18 AM
Feb 2023
It’s not a romance it was platonic father daughter relationship.
Sep 3, 2023 7:21 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Ncf6789
It’s not a romance it was platonic father daughter relationship.
@Ncf6789 bro they married…
Sep 3, 2023 7:50 AM
Feb 2023
elderonn said:

Maybe in the novel but not in the anime.
Sep 3, 2023 7:51 AM

Feb 2021
Ncf6789 said:
elderonn said:

Maybe in the novel but not in the anime.

Someone drank an insane amount of copium. The definitely married by the end of the movie.
Sep 3, 2023 8:23 AM
Jul 2023
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
The ending is unoriginal and full of clichés, character regression, ruining both Violet's and Gilbert's character, even though he barely had any, and IS IN SUPPORT OF GROOMING. In the first movie, Violet literally says Gilbert raised her. He was her father figure. The anime also made their relationship ambiguous, well until the movie.
My reasons
So the ending ruined Violet's character by making her dependant on Gilbert again, ruining the theme of identity and independence both the anime and first movie worked on. Violet goes from someone not being able to do anything without Gilbert's command to a strong, independent and a highly emotionally intelligent woman. She even starts asking herself what she wants for herself. But due to this ending now Violet has gone back to being dependant to Gilbert. A total 360. Her character has gone back to being dependant on him. Would have been better if they let Gilbert stay dead and Violet has to come to terms with that and find herself. And Gilbert is fickle as heck. It takes a simple letter for him to change his mind. Just one letter. Even though he directly refused her before when she basically told him the same thing. And he decided to not go back for 4 years(I think). It's just not good writing in my opinion
The ending is also full of clichés I mean the running towards each other as the sun sets or something as you can hear what the letter says in the background. The writing of this show should be so much better than this
And the grooming. It's not pedophilia but goddamn that doesn't make it better. THE FIRST MOVIE LITERALLY SAID HE RAISED HER. WHY ARE PEOPLE OK WITH THIS? It's disgusting cuz it's grooming. If they were gonna bring back Gilbert and make Violet say I love you to him, it should have been in a father daughter relationship.
They also kinda ruined the theme of love here(bit of an exaggeration). This is just my opinion but would have been better if they continued with the words 'I love you' can be used in different ways rather than in a romantic context. Like they did in the anime. I mean, didn't they make the relationship between Violet and Gilbert a mystery because they wanted to show I love you can be expressed to different people who are still essentially your loved ones. It's not really that bad so they didn't really exactly ruin it. I just thought this movie would be more emotionally intelligent.
So, in conclusion, the ending is horrible and kinda ruins not only the movie but the entire story. The entire movie itself isn't even that good. Of course the Animation and music slaps but it reuses ideas like the Yuris sub plot(it was sad but it was just episode 10 done kinda differently) and just being unoriginal and using clichés.The beginning of the movie is slow as well. And the movie ruined its main character and ruined some of Themes of Violet Evergarden as well. The series deserved better than this ending nd this movie because it is genuinely amazing. Its a 9 outta 10 without this movie as the first movie is also really good as well.
This is just my opinion, you can tell me where you disagree below. Everyone is entitled to like what they like or not. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is just mine. And I think the ending is horrible.

I agree with you about marriage thing but other than that the ending and movie was great. See he was her father or whatever but she loved him and she can't just say to him that "you raised me but now i am leaving". He not only raised her but teach her emotions, love. so that's why she was very obsessed for meeting with him and it doesn't mean she is again depending on him. She just loved him very much and wanted to meet him. Although ending was kind of uncompleted i think and with one flaw of marriage
Sep 3, 2023 8:23 AM
Jan 2021
elderonn said:
I agree so much. This movie sucks and anybody who likes it doesn’t chew before they swallow.

It’s not as strong, but I still like it. I like most anime 🤷‍♂️
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 3, 2023 8:25 AM

Feb 2021
Loasff said:
@elderonn

They didnt show the marriage certificate so they are not married

The levels of copuim that you have inserted inside your body is incomprehensible.
Sep 3, 2023 8:41 AM
Jun 2021
Agreed, I love the main story but the ending y so cliché
Sep 3, 2023 8:52 AM

May 2022
I personally like the movie but goddamn I did not like the relationship between violet and gilbert. The ending was fine. I don't think it's terrible.
WhoKnowsWhoSep 3, 2023 10:08 AM
Sep 3, 2023 9:05 AM

Apr 2022
hell, man
I'm not reading through all of that
Sep 3, 2023 9:23 AM

Mar 2018
She didn't go back to him due to dependence she went back due to love, the thing she finally understood after the entirety of the series. Not acknowledging her feelings acting against them would literally make no sense, since she also knew Gilbert didn't actually want her to leave he was just depressed as shit.
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Sep 3, 2023 11:08 AM
Aug 2022
Sports_Friday said:
She didn't go back to him due to dependence she went back due to love, the thing she finally understood after the entirety of the series. Not acknowledging her feelings acting against them would literally make no sense, since she also knew Gilbert didn't actually want her to leave he was just depressed as shit.

Good point but I say it's dependence because firstly, the movie immediately tied her character back to Gilbert directly and two, I didn't as true or pure love. More like Violet was groomed by this guy who was the only person to accept her so of course she has strong bonds with him. Strong bonds like she needed him in her life, especially all she can think and talk about in this movie is Gilbert(even during the Yuris subplot),even though the anime and movie(first) have violet moving on. That is what I see as dependence. This one should have just continued it like that.
HeSaidAriseSep 5, 2023 2:53 PM
Sep 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Apr 2021
All the pain in Season 1, for what?
Sep 3, 2023 11:16 AM

Sep 2022
Issax28 said:
Agreed. The first movie clears and you’re better off not watching the second one.

Crazy that people thought an adoptive father (almost 20 year age gap) and also a superior at work, would be a good love interest for Violet Evergarden.

I also agree with you, this movie kind of disrupts the whole development of the cannon series. Also I'm surprised to see this many people are agreeing with this, I also thought to post this Fouram but thought none will agree with me since it is so much highly rated, but now... I can see.
Sep 3, 2023 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
My only gripe with the ending was that those two got married, not only because of age gap. Gilbert was for Violet a father or brother at most and nothing forshadowed potential romance between the two. It was NEVER specified whether "love" Violet needs to discover is romantic or paternal.
Though KyoAni handled it good by making their relationship ambiguous in the anime.
Overall, it gives Usagi Drop vibes.
PiromyslSep 3, 2023 11:21 AM

Sep 3, 2023 11:53 AM
Feb 2023
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
My reasons

The ending of the movie, especially the after credits scene, was the best thing to happen for Violet Evergarden. It was the end which deserved it after all of this which was through in the war and after the war, she deserved it to find happiness and peace in her life exactly in this way.

Her character development wasn't just about being independent and making her own choices without orders from his major. It was also to learn about feelings. 50% about taking a job in Auto Memories Doll it was about understanding the phrase which was told by the major and the other 50% it was about learning about human feelings.

Also something that many people understand wrong is the fact that the Violet's relationship with Gilbert was not a father to daughter relationship, she didn't see him as a father figure she saw him as a human who treated her like a human being who gave her feelings like love, care and affection. Things she had never felt before and which she had never received from other people in her life. Everyone else treats her like a weapon or a bloodthirsty killer.

The relationship is not characterized as pedophilia for any reason. Their relationship throughout the series as well as the movie is mostly platonic so it shows absolutely nothing going on between them (you can't accuse a relationship of being inappropriate when nothing happens). Something like this series and movies that rank in this tier are something other abominations like Happy Sugar life.

Their romance wasn't codependency neither obsession it was pure love and interest for each other.

The scene running towards each other in the sunset was a masterpiece of picture, color and music direction.
You can call it cliche like other scenes you see in American movies, couples running to meet again in the airport or in front of a fountain in a square.
But again, it is not the same either in terms of scenography or in terms of the personalities of the two characters.

However, if I want to be 100% objective about this movie there were quite a few things I didn't like.
Like the flashbacks of the future that showed the story with Daisy Magnolia. These scenes were unnecessary and confused the viewer too much, the story of the movie should have focused entirely on Violet. Also the last scene shows Violet walking alone with a suitcase on a road. I didn't understand the meaning of this scene.
Sep 3, 2023 11:57 AM
Aug 2023
I hadn't thought of it that way, and stopping to reflect, it's true...
Sep 3, 2023 11:58 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to HeSaidArise
Sports_Friday said:

Good point but I say it's dependence because firstly, the movie immediately tied her character back to Gilbert directly and two, I didn't as true or pure love. More like Violet was groomed by this guy who was the only person to accept her so of course she has strong bonds with him. Strong bonds like she needed him in her life, especially all she can think and talk about in this movie is Gilbert(even during the Yuris subplot),even though the anime and movie(first) have violet moving on. That is what I see as dependence. This one should have just continued it like that.
@Rip_Lazarus, totally agree. I think it was never love in the first place but the series made it to be--kinda of made a contrivance. It's good to see that people weren't really fond of the conclusion.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 3, 2023 12:12 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to IOANNIS1940
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
My reasons

The ending of the movie, especially the after credits scene, was the best thing to happen for Violet Evergarden. It was the end which deserved it after all of this which was through in the war and after the war, she deserved it to find happiness and peace in her life exactly in this way.

Her character development wasn't just about being independent and making her own choices without orders from his major. It was also to learn about feelings. 50% about taking a job in Auto Memories Doll it was about understanding the phrase which was told by the major and the other 50% it was about learning about human feelings.

Also something that many people understand wrong is the fact that the Violet's relationship with Gilbert was not a father to daughter relationship, she didn't see him as a father figure she saw him as a human who treated her like a human being who gave her feelings like love, care and affection. Things she had never felt before and which she had never received from other people in her life. Everyone else treats her like a weapon or a bloodthirsty killer.

The relationship is not characterized as pedophilia for any reason. Their relationship throughout the series as well as the movie is mostly platonic so it shows absolutely nothing going on between them (you can't accuse a relationship of being inappropriate when nothing happens). Something like this series and movies that rank in this tier are something other abominations like Happy Sugar life.

Their romance wasn't codependency neither obsession it was pure love and interest for each other.

The scene running towards each other in the sunset was a masterpiece of picture, color and music direction.
You can call it cliche like other scenes you see in American movies, couples running to meet again in the airport or in front of a fountain in a square.
But again, it is not the same either in terms of scenography or in terms of the personalities of the two characters.

However, if I want to be 100% objective about this movie there were quite a few things I didn't like.
Like the flashbacks of the future that showed the story with Daisy Magnolia. These scenes were unnecessary and confused the viewer too much, the story of the movie should have focused entirely on Violet. Also the last scene shows Violet walking alone with a suitcase on a road. I didn't understand the meaning of this scene.
@IOANNIS1940, maybe it wasn't exactly a father-parenting-daughter relationship but the series definitely portrays a guardian to a wartorn child relationship. As you said, because Gilbert treated Violet differently from others, with care and affection, her character was to learn to understand those feelings that were instilled in her and embrace them. Not to turn into an obsession and I think the movie made it to be.

I lean towards the idea of obsession from Violet's end because before the final film, at least in my eyes, the series emphasized moving forward from the past and declaring one's own identity. The final film completely reversed that.

As for your point that their love wasn't codependency or obsession, I'll ask you this: Why did Violet feel so lost at the beginning of the series but throughout her time spent at the Auto Memory Doll, her time spent there was about assisting others in the goal discovery oneself? As opposed to what the main series was advocating, the final film made it about obsession.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 3, 2023 12:15 PM
Sep 2022
Movie and its animation was good. but the plot twist was unreal .
Sep 3, 2023 12:22 PM
Nov 2022
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
My reasons

Then your opinion sucks. ( I actually don't disagree with you , but I like happy and maybe clichéic endings like this one )
Sep 3, 2023 12:32 PM
Aug 2022
IOANNIS1940 said:
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
My reasons

You made good points but
I didn't say it was pedophilia, I said he groomed her. He was basically her father figure and heck Violet said it herself in the first movie that he raised her. She literally said,"He raised me." Surely, that would lead to people thinking this is a father daughter relationship. Along with the anime making their relationship ambiguous. Also its grooming soooo yh that's weird.
As for my dependency statement, I still stand by that cuz I feel violet should have moved on and found herself, coming to terms with Gilbert's death. And them just tying her back to Gilbert, when she was already doing that was just not it. You interpreted as them having pure love and interest in each other to which I say yes, that aligns with the themes of Violet Evergarden. But I didn't see it that way, which is why I said Violet just went back to being in a co dependent relationship
As for the unoriginality and clichés, even if they reused material and old clichés, yeah of course it was beautiful and well done. I mean I love shonen and they basically reuse the same formula. I don't have a problem with clichés necessarily, but I didn't expect a anime like Violet Evergarden to settle for such a ending.The writing is and should be so much better than that. It felt uninspired, like Kyoto were just doing it to please the fandom. I spent way too long with Violet for that. I understand most of your points though and acc agree with some of them so yh.
HeSaidAriseSep 3, 2023 12:39 PM
Sep 3, 2023 12:34 PM
Feb 2023
LordSozin said:
@IOANNIS1940, maybe it wasn't exactly a father-parenting-daughter relationship but the series definitely portrays a guardian to a wartorn child relationship. As you said, because Gilbert treated Violet differently from others, with care and affection, her character was to learn to understand those feelings that were instilled in her and embrace them. Not to turn into an obsession and I think the movie made it to be.

I lean towards the idea of obsession from Violet's end because before the final film, at least in my eyes, the series emphasized moving forward from the past and declaring one's own identity. The final film completely reversed that.

As for your point that their love wasn't codependency or obsession, I'll ask you this: Why did Violet feel so lost at the beginning of the series but throughout her time spent at the Auto Memory Doll, her time spent there was about assisting others in the goal discovery oneself? As opposed to what the main series was advocating, the final film made it about obsession.

Because she woke up in a military hospital after the last battle. That's why she felt so lost.

In the series perhaps she is doing all these things to help herself to understand her own feelings but also helps a lot the people around her. And that shows how great her character is.

Also when a woman struggles to find the man she loves you can't call it obsession.

About 75% of the romance movies of the world it's about a guy who turns the world upside down searching to find the woman he loves.
When a man does such a thing they immediately call it love.

Why when a woman does that thing is called obsession ?
Sep 3, 2023 12:41 PM

Sep 2018
I agree with almost everything you said, the only exception being that I thought the story told in the first half of the movie was great. However, as you said, the second half pretty much reversed all the development Violet had through the series, to the point that I like to think of it as non-canon so that it doesn't affect how I think of the 'main' series.

Something that you didn't mention was how it also completely ignored the theme of grieving the loss of a loved one that was all over the first season. Gilbert being alive makes a lot of the character development she went through completely senseless, on top of ruining the theme of identity and independence that you mentioned.
DeaneSep 3, 2023 12:44 PM
Sep 3, 2023 12:44 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to IOANNIS1940
LordSozin said:

Because she woke up in a military hospital after the last battle. That's why she felt so lost.

In the series perhaps she is doing all these things to help herself to understand her own feelings but also helps a lot the people around her. And that shows how great her character is.

Also when a woman struggles to find the man she loves you can't call it obsession.

About 75% of the romance movies of the world it's about a guy who turns the world upside down searching to find the woman he loves.

@IOANNIS1940 The problem isn't that she searched all over for him. The problem is that she had already done that in the first season, found out that he was "dead", came to terms with that fact through the events of the first season, only for her character development to be reversed and for her to become 'obsessed' and dependent on him again. The obsession isn't the problem, it's the regression of her character.

Like he said, "the series emphasized moving forward from the past and declaring one's own identity. The final film completely reversed that."
Sep 3, 2023 12:45 PM
Aug 2022
Deane said:
I agree with almost everything you said, the only exception being that I thought the story told in the first half of the movie was great. However, as you said, the second half pretty much reversed all the development Violet had through the series, to the point that I like to think of it as non-canon so that it doesn't affect how I think of the 'main' series.

Something that you didn't mention was how it also completely ignored the theme of grieving the loss of a loved one that was all over the first season. Gilbert being alive makes a lot of the character development she went through completely senseless, on top of ruining the theme of identity and independence that you mentioned.

Yh I didn't think to add that. You're completely right. Honestly I was wishing they did a fake out so Violet can move on. Thanks for adding to my statement.
Sep 3, 2023 12:55 PM
Aug 2022
Personally I rather call it dependency than obsession but you could honestly refer to it as both. Violet would literally throw everything away(which she does) to be with the major. Which makes sense cuz this creepy guy Gilbert GROOMED HER. I mean, it makes sense why she is bent on getting with the major. He literally in my opinion emotionally manipulated her(maybe on accident) to be with him. Of course he didn't do inappropriate stuff to her while she was young. If he did, it would be pedophilia. Although he did tell her he loved her when she was 14 so I guess he's a pedo and a groomer. Just one who doesn't break the law. He did inappropriate stuff to her when she was an adult, and him basically raising makes this a case of grooming, which is disgusting.
Go on Netflix rn and re watch the ending, he says
"I've always wanted to do this." THAT'S WRONG. I am not doubting my memory, I know he says that. He's been literally planning this. He's always wanted to be with her. His words not mine.(The dirtbag also says he's not a good person and I agree. He shouldn't have lived. Him living ruins two themes and I also hate him).So of course Violet is bent on the major and is desperately in love with him since he raised her, as he literally was the only to show her affection. Until the beginning of the anime. She was going to move on. She was moving on. She says in the first movie
"What do I want to do"
She's never ever said that. She was growing and doing stuff for her self. But then Gilbert, and then she decides that what she wants is to be with Gilbert, basically tying her character down Gilbert, instead of doing her thing. Is this out of her free will, yes? Is it due to habit on being dependant on Gilbert, in my opinion, yes. BECAUSE when she asked herself that question, what do I want , she isn't thinking about Gilbert, she thinking about herself and she wants. I mean, what else can I say? The ending right there ruined that question and the theme.
HeSaidAriseSep 3, 2023 10:05 PM
Sep 3, 2023 12:56 PM
Aug 2022
IOANNIS1940 said:
LordSozin said:

I forgot to @ you. Also trust me, this isn't a gender thing.
Sep 3, 2023 12:56 PM
Feb 2023
Rip_Lazarus said:
IOANNIS1940 said:

You made good points but
I didn't say it was pedophilia, I said he groomed her. He was basically her father figure and heck Violet said it herself in the first movie that he raised her. She literally said,"He raised me." Surely, that would lead to people thinking this is a father daughter relationship. Along with the anime making their relationship ambiguous. Also its grooming soooo yh that's weird.
As for my dependency statement, I still stand by that cuz I feel violet should have moved on and found herself, coming to terms with Gilbert's death. And them just tying her back to Gilbert, when she was already doing that was just not it. You interpreted as them having pure love and interest in each other to which I say yes, that aligns with the themes of Violet Evergarden. But I didn't see it that way, which is why I said Violet just went back to being in a co dependent relationship
As for the unoriginality and clichés, even if they reused material and old clichés, yeah of course it was beautiful and well done. I mean I love shonen and they basically reuse the same formula. I don't have a problem with clichés necessarily, but I didn't expect a anime like Violet Evergarden to settle for such a ending.The writing is and should be so much better than that. It felt uninspired, like Kyoto were just doing it to please the fandom. I spent way too long with Violet for that. I understand most of your points though and acc agree with some of them so yh.

To tell you the truth I also find myself many times frustrating and confused about their relationship, especially about the age gap between them.

You also make very good points.

But because as I told before their relationship was not just platonic but nothing about romance (the love you in the end), after in the movie when they meet up again then began the real romance relationship. Also neither of them do anything inappropriate to each other and that's the main reason I'm getting past the fact that it might have been reminiscent of a father-daughter relationship and of course the age difference. Because there are worse romance series and movies with age gaps and they are much much worse than this.

Also I don't really believe the fact that violet could move on so easily after the death of Gilbert and the fact that is the way of life she was raised before met Gilbert. You can just move on so easily after all these things you've been taught. Even if you become free from your codependency figure.
Sep 3, 2023 1:00 PM

Jan 2021
I feel the same way, more or less. Kinda wish I never saw the film, honestly. As a standalone film, it surely isn't bad, but from a broader perspective, it frankly ruins the entire point of the show just to be a crowd pleaser.
Sep 3, 2023 1:42 PM
Jun 2023
I actually agree. They should’ve kept the relationship as a Father/Daughter thing. Even though Violet is technically of legal age in the movie it does come off like the Major was grooming her, which is pretty weird and sours most of the interactions that Violet had with the Major in her memories during the series. Also yea with the Major being alive and her “running” back to him it does kind of undermine all of her progress as a character. I still liked the movie but you make valid points
Sep 3, 2023 2:02 PM
Feb 2023
Reply to Deane
@IOANNIS1940 The problem isn't that she searched all over for him. The problem is that she had already done that in the first season, found out that he was "dead", came to terms with that fact through the events of the first season, only for her character development to be reversed and for her to become 'obsessed' and dependent on him again. The obsession isn't the problem, it's the regression of her character.

Like he said, "the series emphasized moving forward from the past and declaring one's own identity. The final film completely reversed that."
@Deane

Yeah I think both of you missing the point here.

Everyone talking about how the movie destroy the character development of Violet and her chance to move forward

The Violet Evergarden was never about this kind of clishe Disney meanings (find your true self and this kind of nonsence).
It wasn't some kind feminist anime only about the main heroine and her release from her old and toxic relationship.

It was all about The Meaning of Love, not just the romantic love about Violet and Gilbert but all kinds of love.

The sister for brother love

The mother for daughter love

The father for daughter love

The love with first sight between two young people love

The parents and hall family members love and interest

Even in the movie we didn't just watch the reunion of Violet and Gilbert. We also watch the life of young boy to extinguish, his love for his parents, the brave action of reunion with his best friend and also his repentance for his jealousy towards to the younger brother.

It's all about the meaning of love (romantic, fraternal, parent and friendly)

Her character doesn't become more weak or dependent after her reunion. Because she found her love, and there no exist human being which become weak after find their love.

If they stayed separately for the rest of their lives, both of them they are gonna growth great character for the people around them.

But not for themselves.
Sep 3, 2023 2:08 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to IOANNIS1940
@Deane

Yeah I think both of you missing the point here.

Everyone talking about how the movie destroy the character development of Violet and her chance to move forward

The Violet Evergarden was never about this kind of clishe Disney meanings (find your true self and this kind of nonsence).
It wasn't some kind feminist anime only about the main heroine and her release from her old and toxic relationship.

It was all about The Meaning of Love, not just the romantic love about Violet and Gilbert but all kinds of love.

The sister for brother love

The mother for daughter love

The father for daughter love

The love with first sight between two young people love

The parents and hall family members love and interest

Even in the movie we didn't just watch the reunion of Violet and Gilbert. We also watch the life of young boy to extinguish, his love for his parents, the brave action of reunion with his best friend and also his repentance for his jealousy towards to the younger brother.

It's all about the meaning of love (romantic, fraternal, parent and friendly)

Her character doesn't become more weak or dependent after her reunion. Because she found her love, and there no exist human being which become weak after find their love.

If they stayed separately for the rest of their lives, both of them they are gonna growth great character for the people around them.

But not for themselves.
@IOANNIS1940 I just completely and utterly disagree that love is the only theme in the story, so I guess we'll just leave it at that
Sep 3, 2023 2:27 PM
Feb 2023
Rip_Lazarus said:
Personally I rather call it dependency than obsession but you could honestly refer to it as both. Violet would literally throw everything away(which she does) to be with the major. Which makes sense cuz this creepy guy Gilbert GROOMED HER. I mean, it makes sense why she is bent on getting with the major. He literally in my opinion emotionally manipulated her(maybe on accident) to be with him. Of course he didn't do inappropriate stuff to her while she was young. If he did, it would be pedophilia. Although he did tell her he loved her when she was 14 so I guess he's a pedo and a groomer. Just one who doesn't break the law. He did inappropriate stuff to her when she was an adult, and him basically raising makes this a case of grooming, which is disgusting.
Go on Netflix rn and re watch the ending, he says
"I've always wanted to do this." THAT'S WRONG. I am not doubting my memory, I know he says that. He's been literally planning this. He's always wanted to be with her. His words not mine.(The dirtbag also says he's not a good person and I agree. He shouldn't have lived. Him living ruins two themes and I also hate him).So of course Violet is bent on the major and is desperately in love with him since he raised her, as he literally was the only to show her affection. Until the beginning of the anime. She was going to move on. She was moving on. She says in the first movie
"What do I want to do"
She's never ever said that. She was growing and doing stuff for her self. But then Gilbert, and then she decides that what she wants is to be Gilbert, basically tying her character down Gilbert, instead doing her thing. Is this out of her free will, yes? Is it due to habit on being dependant on Gilbert, in my opinion, yes. BECAUSE when she asked herself that question, what do I want , she isn't thinking about Gilbert, she thinking about herself and she wants. I mean, what else can I say? The ending right there ruined that question and the theme.

Manipulation it's a very bad word and doesn't fit in this movie. Also the way you review doesn't fit about this movie or the series. This way more twisted scenario, you talk like Gilbert has a whole plan about manipulated the Violet from the very beginning. He was never so much overcontroled or engrossing about Violet. In my opinion you need to see a little more lighthearted and penetratingly about the meaning behind Gilbert actions.

If you remember correctly he was trying to make her leave not to stay with him, to make her forget about him and the oldest life of her and to make her live her own life in peace and happiness.

Also the phrase you said from the Netflix

Gilbert said
津堂コス高田 : Tsudo kos takata
Which means 'I always want to be with you'

The phrase 'i always wanted to do this' writing and spelling this way

ずっとそうだった : tsudo so tada

It's easy to mixing them so I don't think they translated on purpose wrong
IOANNIS1940Sep 3, 2023 2:48 PM
Sep 3, 2023 2:53 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
I just don’t like the fact that he was actually alive all along

Like it takes away a lot of the sadness from season 1 imo
Sep 3, 2023 5:10 PM
May 2023
I think everyone has different opinions. I personally really enjoyed it and it's one of my favorites anime films, but I get why some people don't like it as much or straight up hate it
Sep 3, 2023 5:19 PM

Mar 2023
For people saying that the major surviving was a weird plot twist, it was so obvious from the main story season since they at no point found any remains whatsoever despite him supposedly dying while on top of Violet during the explosion/collapse. (as shown a few times)

I don't mind the ending, it makes enough sense thematically. This isn't a decision she just happened to make without proper time to consider, proper mental development, proper knowledge about the world, proper maturity, this was a decision that was maintained even after years of no contact.
Sep 3, 2023 7:42 PM
Jan 2022
Piromysl said:
My only gripe with the ending was that those two got married, not only because of age gap. Gilbert was for Violet a father or brother at most and nothing forshadowed potential romance between the two. It was NEVER specified whether "love" Violet needs to discover is romantic or paternal.
Though KyoAni handled it good by making their relationship ambiguous in the anime.
Overall, it gives Usagi Drop vibes.

oh boy that one! Usagi drop crushed my heart, so much potential wasted. should've stopped at the anime.
Sep 3, 2023 7:58 PM
May 2023
IOANNIS1940 said:
Rip_Lazarus said:
TLDR;
My reasons

Bruh do you know how absurd you sound? Gilbert “adopted” her when she was like 11 and also his subordinate at work. Reminder that she was a just like an animal at the time and didn’t know how to read/write etc so he taught her all that like a *father figure*

Then a year or two later he proceeds to confess to her as he was dying. When she turned 18 they got together as a couple.

FYM that’s not “pedophilia” ??
Sep 3, 2023 8:28 PM

Jan 2022
The sole reason why I think the movie is awful just like the original show. For the most part, the movie really wants to make an emotional dynamic between Violet and Gilbert but not only does it feel super embarrassing but it also makes zero damn sense. Both never have chemistry with one another to begin with and to think the story concludes it with shoehorned romance? I don’t think I’ve ever cringed at that so hard as much as that.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

321 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.