Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2023 2:25 AM

Dec 2020
Just wanted to appreciate the goodness of Fate/Zero . It was my first introduction to the Franchise and I had high hopes for it after completing F/Z . The animation , op , ed , soundtrack , Characters and plot , story everything was so great about it . Also the goat Emiya Kiritsugu as the Protagonist. Although it became somewhat a bit complicated at the end as all fate anime tend to . But still this is the best part of Fate in terms of everything .
Every other fate series I watched after it I just felt disappointed about something from them . But some parts of the Fate series was still enjoyable . Despite all of that , F/Z still remains the GOAT

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2023 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
I like UBW and Zero because they are the most complete. They only thing they are missing are the superior music and character designs of the 2006 version.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 1, 2023 2:38 AM

Jun 2021
Only seen Zero, Fate 2006, UBW, and HF but Zero is clear of all of those
Sep 1, 2023 2:44 AM

Apr 2023
Prisma Illya easily.

Sep 1, 2023 2:45 AM

Dec 2021
Zero>Heaven's feel>Ubw

Haven't seen the rest
Sep 1, 2023 2:56 AM
Jun 2021
Zero>heaven's feel>unlimited blade works
also grand order from CloverWorks and strange fake form A1 pictures is great
Sep 1, 2023 3:05 AM
Mar 2023
Fate zero solo (Character Limit)
Sep 1, 2023 3:19 AM

Mar 2020
STSayeb said:
Just wanted to appreciate the goodness of Fate/Zero . It was my first introduction to the Franchise and I had high hopes for it after completing F/Z . The animation , op , ed , soundtrack , Characters and plot , story everything was so great about it . Also the goat Emiya Kiritsugu as the Protagonist. Although it became somewhat a bit complicated at the end as all fate anime tend to . But still this is the best part of Fate in terms of everything .
Every other fate series I watched after it I just felt disappointed about something from them . But some parts of the Fate series was still enjoyable . Despite all of that , F/Z still remains the GOAT

Heavens Feel, while not without pacing issues and the butchering of the final fight, its my favourite plot and has pretty much all of the scenes that have stuck with me, so it's still my favourite overall

Sep 1, 2023 3:23 AM

Oct 2021
Fate/Zero clears all. Heaven's Feel could've been the best if it was adapted in TV format with multiple seasons.
Sep 1, 2023 3:39 AM
May 2023
Fate Apocrypha, why? Better characters than the other animes.
Sep 1, 2023 3:40 AM
May 2023
SwagsOnB said:
Prisma Illya easily.

Hell no, i like illya, but is for the alternative Shirou from what another world.
Sep 1, 2023 4:01 AM

Aug 2020
UBW is the best adaptation. Zero is some edgecore filled with non-characters even if the source material lends itself to being adapted better than a visual novel does so even if it's adapted more accurately the story it presented was horrid so it loses by default. It's way down there with the heaven's feel movie trilogy in level of dogshittery and the adaptation quality is completely opposite between the two which says a lot about how horrible zero is despite hf movies being by far the worst adaptation of the visual novel possible
Sep 1, 2023 4:10 AM

Jan 2021
Zero is by far my most favorite. It's the best fate. I started fate with zero and it became an instant favorite. Right after 2 episodes I knew this would be something special for me.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Sep 1, 2023 4:13 AM
Mar 2021
Zero is great and clears any other adaptation by far. Heavens Feel is the most interesting one, it makes you wanna learn more about fate in general. UBW was nice but shirou was dumb asf so it has this kind of bad aftertaste.

But yeah zero clears
Sep 1, 2023 4:33 AM

Jun 2023
Fate/Zero for sure. Love how the best series from Fate isn't even from the mushroom man himself lmfao

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Sep 1, 2023 4:58 AM
Jun 2022
fate/zero is the best
Sep 1, 2023 5:08 AM

Mar 2015
Prillya solos them all and anyone who disagrees is coping.
Sep 1, 2023 5:10 AM

Apr 2012
As far as anime goes, yes, Fate/Zero is easily the best. The Heaven's Feel films are also very good, Carnival Phantasm is a lot of fun, and Prisma Ilya has its moments.
Sep 1, 2023 5:18 AM
Nov 2021
Fate/zero is definitely superior to other fate series. It got better characters, best master-servent pairs.
Sep 1, 2023 5:29 AM
Mar 2012
Fate/Zero crushes all. a relic from ufo table.
left to know who's the favourite servant.
sinned by choosing Saber ...
Sep 1, 2023 5:54 AM

Dec 2018
I like both Haven's Feel and Zero the most, but Haven's Feel is closest to my heart and I personally prefer it over Zero.
Sep 1, 2023 6:19 AM
Jan 2020
Carnival Phantasm is a lot of fun. Unfortunately the other Phantasm spinoffs just aren’t as good.

Prisma Illya is a pretty decent magical girl show, especially once you get towards the fourth season and movies.
Sep 1, 2023 6:42 AM

Jan 2021
fate/zero easily, despite the butchering of characters, being the edgiest in the series, and most viewers misunderstanding it.
but also it got the best adaptation compared to the rest.

but other than that Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia easily clear the shit out of zero in terms of Writing and Characters.
salad77Sep 1, 2023 6:54 AM
Read the visual novel nerd
Sep 1, 2023 7:03 AM
Aug 2020
It's definitely either this or the HF trilogy.
Sep 1, 2023 7:18 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to SwagsOnB
Prisma Illya easily.

@SwagsOnB

Hell no ! Eww man ! Stirred up my memories of this garbage again . Keep that geh shi* away .

Sep 1, 2023 7:19 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to salad77
fate/zero easily, despite the butchering of characters, being the edgiest in the series, and most viewers misunderstanding it.
but also it got the best adaptation compared to the rest.

but other than that Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia easily clear the shit out of zero in terms of Writing and Characters.
@salad77 Fate/Stay Night seemed quite out of place and boring to me ngl . While the execution of the great plot couldn't be worse .

Sep 1, 2023 7:20 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to zckfox
Carnival Phantasm is a lot of fun. Unfortunately the other Phantasm spinoffs just aren’t as good.

Prisma Illya is a pretty decent magical girl show, especially once you get towards the fourth season and movies.
@zckfox bruh seriously ?? Are you into pedo geh shi*s ? Only the Sekka No Chikai movie was the good part about Prisma Illya . Rest was meh 😑

Btw carnival Phantasm is freakin gud

Sep 1, 2023 7:22 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to Theo1899
I like UBW and Zero because they are the most complete. They only thing they are missing are the superior music and character designs of the 2006 version.
@Theo1899 ah yes the 2006 music was out of place . Man how dare they put such goat level music in an anime like this .

Sep 1, 2023 7:23 AM
May 2022
I like Fate/Zero as much as the next guy, but I recently watched Apocrypha and LOVED it. ik I’m very much in the minority there.
Sep 1, 2023 7:25 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to STSayeb
@salad77 Fate/Stay Night seemed quite out of place and boring to me ngl . While the execution of the great plot couldn't be worse .
@STSayeb Did you read the Visual Novels.
How did it feel out of place?, its literally the original Fate story.
and Fate has never been about plot, but the Characters, which is where the anime failed at adapting.
Sep 1, 2023 7:33 AM

Jan 2021
Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night anime

Fate VN >> Fate/Zero
Sep 1, 2023 7:37 AM
Nov 2020
It’s either UBW or HF, love both equally. HF has the slight edge for me, it’s a flawed masterpiece (if that makes sense) if only it was 30 minutes longer on each movie would have more than perfect.
Zero is… a kick to the balls tbh, altering and shaming a character because the author hates her. Changing important details that makes it inta-non canon. Edgy for the sake of edgy (i mean, it’s Urobuchi, he’s an edgelord). You’ll 3 groups here:

Anime only (mostly): Prefer Zero.

VN readers (many-mostly): Prefer eithee UBW, HF and even Deen SN (love it cause I’m a Saber fan).

VN purists (many): Will despise any of the adaptations but still prefer them.

Or at least that’s what I’ve noticed throughout many forums.
Sep 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Jun 2023
Zero clears and it's not even close; tighter narrative with better characterization, as well as themes and their execution. Unsurprisingly, Nasu never wrote it. Stay Night is ultimately a harem battle shounen adapted from a hentai game pretending to be something more sophisticated than it is, and it shows.
Sep 1, 2023 7:46 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to Antithesis
Zero clears and it's not even close; tighter narrative with better characterization, as well as themes and their execution. Unsurprisingly, Nasu never wrote it. Stay Night is ultimately a harem battle shounen adapted from a hentai game pretending to be something more sophisticated than it is, and it shows.
@ANTITHE5IS facts and exactly my thoughts but some VN fanboys gonna cry about it .

Reason why I think nasu is so much overrated

Sep 1, 2023 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to STSayeb
@Theo1899 ah yes the 2006 music was out of place . Man how dare they put such goat level music in an anime like this .
STSayeb said:
ah yes the 2006 music was out of place . Man how dare they put such goat level music in an anime like this .

@STSayeb The 2006 version came out when Kenji Kawai's output peaked both in terms of quality and quantity so it's a shame that none of his tracks carried over to future entries.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 1, 2023 7:55 AM
Apr 2022
im watching the series right now, im halfway through Apocrypha and so far the one i enjoyed the most is El-Melloi. heavens feel 2 is a close second tho
Sep 1, 2023 8:20 AM

Apr 2022
zero, ubw and heaven's feel are all equally great to me. might as well include strange/fake.
Sep 1, 2023 10:48 AM
Dec 2019
Unironically Prisma Illya, the final season along with the movies are absolutely great
Sep 1, 2023 1:16 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to Antithesis
better characterization and themes? name one example rn dumbo rin got more characterization in her pinky than the entire zero cast combined every fsn character that was not an urobuchi creation is flanderized (kiritsugu included) save for gilgamesh and the ones he made are cringeworthy in standard urobushit fashion
Sep 1, 2023 1:43 PM
May 2022
I've only watch the ufotable adaptations, so Zero, Ubw and HF.
My favourite was UBW, but Zero is a very close second.
Sep 1, 2023 2:45 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Antithesis
@ANTITHE5IS
ah yes FSN the Harem where in each route theres only 1 girl that is into Shirou

while in Zero Kiritsugu Cheats on his Wife with a child soldier he groomed while also having an adoptive mother that Raped him when he was younger but in the words of Gen urobuchi "she never once drank his semen. The reason being that she had really fallen in love with him"
salad77Sep 1, 2023 3:19 PM
Sep 1, 2023 7:37 PM

Jun 2023
Reply to offcrack
better characterization and themes? name one example rn dumbo rin got more characterization in her pinky than the entire zero cast combined every fsn character that was not an urobuchi creation is flanderized (kiritsugu included) save for gilgamesh and the ones he made are cringeworthy in standard urobushit fashion
@offcrack Yeah, I strongly disagree with all of this. Zero is a story about adults engaged in war, while Stay Night is a story about high schoolers pretending to fight a war while adults fight it behind the scenes; the former benefits from a mature tone befitting the narrative and this ties into better thematics including the overlapping ones, and better characterization. There's philosophical and ethical depth which all the characters play a central role in the debates of.

And I'll name Saber as an example: In Zero she has more conflicts. Her dynamic with Kiritsugu, how she's seen by the other kings and is pointed out for her hypocrisy, and her final scene with Lancelot. Meanwhile, in Stay Night she is dumbed down to the level of the high school cast despite being much older and experienced. Not to mention she's ultimately one of many waifubaits for the player to bed in the VN because it is what it is and this diminishes her character and her dynamic with Shirou imo. Kiritsugu is also way better as an MC.

If we are to include the FSN VN here, then yeah, it arguably does have better characterization because Nasu is allowed to ramble endlessly through the characters in a bloated piece of work that's around the same length as the Bible. But even if they're less fleshed out, FZ in a fraction of its length more intelligently utilizes its ensemble cast to contribute to its themes and create a more cohesive narrative than FSN struggled to in almost a million words; for the most part they all came into the narrative, contributed their part, then exited stage left.
Sep 1, 2023 7:39 PM

Jun 2023
Reply to salad77
@ANTITHE5IS
ah yes FSN the Harem where in each route theres only 1 girl that is into Shirou

while in Zero Kiritsugu Cheats on his Wife with a child soldier he groomed while also having an adoptive mother that Raped him when he was younger but in the words of Gen urobuchi "she never once drank his semen. The reason being that she had really fallen in love with him"
@salad77 Only one of them is a depthless power fantasy hentai game lost in VN tropes, bro. And only one of them has a h-scene that involves two of the self-insert MC's love interests.
Sep 2, 2023 12:16 AM
Feb 2022
My vote for Zero is simply because of more mature writing
Sep 2, 2023 12:21 AM

Mar 2020
ANTITHE5IS said:
@salad77 Only one of them is a depthless power fantasy hentai game lost in VN tropes, bro. And only one of them has a h-scene that involves two of the self-insert MC's love interests.

Shirou reads like a self-interest to you? I doubt the average person is anywhere near as ideological, dysfunctional and borderline mechanical as Shirou.

Also, there being sex in a game doesn't automatically make it bad

Sep 2, 2023 3:15 AM

Aug 2020
ANTITHE5IS said:
@offcrack Yeah, I strongly disagree with all of this. Zero is a story about adults engaged in war, while Stay Night is a story about high schoolers pretending to fight a war while adults fight it behind the scenes; the former benefits from a mature tone befitting the narrative and this ties into better thematics including the overlapping ones, and better characterization. There's philosophical and ethical depth which all the characters play a central role in the debates of.

And I'll name Saber as an example: In Zero she has more conflicts. Her dynamic with Kiritsugu, how she's seen by the other kings and is pointed out for her hypocrisy, and her final scene with Lancelot. Meanwhile, in Stay Night she is dumbed down to the level of the high school cast despite being much older and experienced. Not to mention she's ultimately one of many waifubaits for the player to bed in the VN because it is what it is and this diminishes her character and her dynamic with Shirou imo. Kiritsugu is also way better as an MC.

If we are to include the FSN VN here, then yeah, it arguably does have better characterization because Nasu is allowed to ramble endlessly through the characters in a bloated piece of work that's around the same length as the Bible. But even if they're less fleshed out, FZ in a fraction of its length more intelligently utilizes its ensemble cast to contribute to its themes and create a more cohesive narrative than FSN struggled to in almost a million words; for the most part they all came into the narrative, contributed their part, then exited stage left.

Let's go over the retarded adult argument first. The masters in zero consist of 2 jobber traditionalist mages who exist to get humiliated and betrayed, a serial killer who is there to fulfill urobuchi's quota of tasteless gore, a dude whose motivation is wanting to fuck another's wife, a guy canonically referred to as a manchild, a downgraded version of kirei and finally waver. Comparing these characters to the cast of FSN it's very easy to notice that the zero "adults" often behave like idiots because nasu likely realized beforehand that having characters who exist to get humiliated in a grail war is not engaging unless you're underage. Servants are not used intelligently in zero, characters decide on retarded courses of action nonstop, several members of the cast exist only to die miserably without contributing anything to the plot (tokiomi, kariya, kayneth) and we need 20+ episodes to see how the manchild retard that is kiritsugu gets told that he is in fact retarded like it's some grand reveal and it's hammered into your face despite being something you should need a minute to realize, though considering how you've avoided speaking of any specific themes zero explored on its own I'm going to guess this is an upside to you. So despite being superficially adult that same cast is in fact filled with characters that are only on the lower end of the bell curve. FSN's cast has zero superfluous members on the other hand because everybody contributes to the development of the focus of the character study. And as an mc kiritsugu is very literally just an inferior shirou and written to be that way intentionally, it's a character that went through significantly less shit than him and somehow ended up fucked up almost just as much but in a stupider way. And on that topic deontology is also much better explored in both heaven's feel and UBW.

Saber does not have more conflict in zero, her conflict in zero is taking shit from two meatheads and acting out of character during it while FSN actually explored the whole "what is the behavior of a king" shit far better but not that you'd know. And the length of the work doesn't matter. The UBW anime adaptation completely destroys zero with the same number of episodes in absolutely every aspect because nasu is simply a superior writer.
Oh and I implore you to give examples for whatever unsubstantiated claims you've made about themes in zero because I'm really curious what it is you've found in there that wasn't just a setup for one of the many tied-in plot threads which FSN is meant to explore for real and find a conclusion of with the actual main character of the series that the entire setting was created for.
Sep 2, 2023 5:30 AM

Feb 2022
Fate/Zero isn't laced with autistic VN tropes thus is half-decent even when finding the Fate franchise unpalatable. Better production quality compared to UBW in the form of cinematic directing by Aoki and the gothic choirs and orchestra by Kaijura also helps.
Sep 2, 2023 8:15 AM

Jun 2023
Reply to offcrack
ANTITHE5IS said:

Let's go over the retarded adult argument first. The masters in zero consist of 2 jobber traditionalist mages who exist to get humiliated and betrayed, a serial killer who is there to fulfill urobuchi's quota of tasteless gore, a dude whose motivation is wanting to fuck another's wife, a guy canonically referred to as a manchild, a downgraded version of kirei and finally waver. Comparing these characters to the cast of FSN it's very easy to notice that the zero "adults" often behave like idiots because nasu likely realized beforehand that having characters who exist to get humiliated in a grail war is not engaging unless you're underage. Servants are not used intelligently in zero, characters decide on retarded courses of action nonstop, several members of the cast exist only to die miserably without contributing anything to the plot (tokiomi, kariya, kayneth) and we need 20+ episodes to see how the manchild retard that is kiritsugu gets told that he is in fact retarded like it's some grand reveal and it's hammered into your face despite being something you should need a minute to realize, though considering how you've avoided speaking of any specific themes zero explored on its own I'm going to guess this is an upside to you. So despite being superficially adult that same cast is in fact filled with characters that are only on the lower end of the bell curve. FSN's cast has zero superfluous members on the other hand because everybody contributes to the development of the focus of the character study. And as an mc kiritsugu is very literally just an inferior shirou and written to be that way intentionally, it's a character that went through significantly less shit than him and somehow ended up fucked up almost just as much but in a stupider way. And on that topic deontology is also much better explored in both heaven's feel and UBW.

Saber does not have more conflict in zero, her conflict in zero is taking shit from two meatheads and acting out of character during it while FSN actually explored the whole "what is the behavior of a king" shit far better but not that you'd know. And the length of the work doesn't matter. The UBW anime adaptation completely destroys zero with the same number of episodes in absolutely every aspect because nasu is simply a superior writer.
Oh and I implore you to give examples for whatever unsubstantiated claims you've made about themes in zero because I'm really curious what it is you've found in there that wasn't just a setup for one of the many tied-in plot threads which FSN is meant to explore for real and find a conclusion of with the actual main character of the series that the entire setting was created for.
@offcrack lol. Kinda funny how FSN fans get defensive about this comparison online every single time without fail. I don't care for FZ enough to defend the 10 characters here you've grossly oversimplified so you can make an overdramatized point, so I'll let you have it. If FZ is a 2/10, FSN is a 1/10. The latter is riddled with cringey VN tropes that jeopardize its attempts at being deep and serious and rely on your suspension of disbelief, has archetypical characters, weaker thematic execution (e.g. the deconstruction of heroism is better explored through Kiritsugu less than 30 EPs than Nasu could with Shirou in nearly a million words, and is something all FZ characters carry), is ridiculously bloated, lacks a cohesive identity, has miserable pacing, has atrocious dialogue, is bereft of any genuine emotion, is tonally dissonant, and has multiple flanderized adaptations of an already bad source material. It is a truly awful piece of work, and FZ is rightly regarded as a better series that accentuates the other as a low-tier nekketsu with high school drama. Nasu is a great conceptualizer and not much else unfortunately.
Sep 2, 2023 8:18 AM

Aug 2020
Based off the story? I might say fate/zero. Based on fights then heavens feel. Based on the emotion ubw. (Even if heavens feel has motivating moments too, nothing can compare to it to the final fight of ubw)
Sep 2, 2023 8:41 AM

Aug 2020
ANTITHE5IS said:
@offcrack lol. Kinda funny how FSN fans get defensive about this comparison online every single time without fail. I don't care for FZ enough to defend the 10 characters here you've grossly oversimplified so you can make an overdramatized point, so I'll let you have it. If FZ is a 2/10, FSN is a 1/10. The latter is riddled with cringey VN tropes that jeopardize its attempts at being deep and serious and rely on your suspension of disbelief, has archetypical characters, weaker thematic execution (e.g. the deconstruction of heroism is better explored through Kiritsugu less than 30 EPs than Nasu could with Shirou in nearly a million words, and is something all FZ characters carry), is ridiculously bloated, lacks a cohesive identity, has miserable pacing, has atrocious dialogue, is bereft of any genuine emotion, is tonally dissonant, and has multiple flanderized adaptations of an already bad source material. It is a truly awful piece of work, and FZ is rightly regarded as a better series that accentuates the other as a low-tier nekketsu with high school drama. Nasu is a great conceptualizer and not much else unfortunately.

Don't blame the story for your inability to read into the plot. I'm not even referring to FSN here exclusively you misread zero too despite the story being the most in-your-face unsubtle anime I could ever name. Calling the characters tropes because they're superficially isomorphic to common anime archetypes just shows off your lack of reading comprehension. There's no heroism being "deconstructed" with kiritsugu only his retarded utilitarian belief and this is not carried in "all" of the zero cast unless you think that tokiomi, kuuuru or..5 out of the seven servants don't count as its members (I cant blame you if so they're not very memorable) meanwhile every servant within FSN, every master, is there to explore the main character's psychology and his belief. Lacks a cohesive identity? The only route you can say this for is heaven's feel but even that for all its flaws at no point begins resembling an exploitation movie. Can't say the same for zero though. You can't call fsn tone deaf when zero literally portrays a child being raped by worms on screen and has a master team that exists to kill orphans. All of this is handled with no tact or respect, it's simple shock value but I guess that's why you like it.
Also the dialogue/prose in FSN is among the best in contemporary japanese fiction disregarding all the chuuni parts, you'd know if you weren't an ignorant EOP larper and didn't spend your time on forums typing out half baked pseud opinions on cartoons that are somehow too high brow for you. You're welcome to try naming a second theme that zero explores on its own to support your original claims though, since you instantly failed the first time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Yesterday

11 by filthyfrank8142 »»
5 hours ago

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.