Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 30, 4:28 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Well it's a good thing I waited to see how the manga would end before I started reading it. So now I won't read it. I hate open endings, and I hate terminal illness teases that do not end with death. Goddamn, write a great work of art band ruin it with an open ending. Most people do not like spending years on a series ang be told at the end to "figure it out yourself". That's what we pay you to do, mother fucker.
Apr 9, 10:33 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to Lolicon
Well it's a good thing I waited to see how the manga would end before I started reading it. So now I won't read it. I hate open endings, and I hate terminal illness teases that do not end with death. Goddamn, write a great work of art band ruin it with an open ending. Most people do not like spending years on a series ang be told at the end to "figure it out yourself". That's what we pay you to do, mother fucker.
@Lolicon

Of course you don’t have to but if this looked like something you’d like before reading more about it you might still enjoy most of the series excluding the final volumes since they honestly feel less refined quality-wise than most of the series. I think open endings are alright if done well, this leaves it a bit too vague as readers seem to be confused about what even happened in it based on this thread. The characters are fun and their friend group is cute, lot of great moments and this a bit different atmosphere of how everything is temporary is captivating. Decent art too and pretty great paneling in some chapters and sometimes experimental storytelling in chapters, which sometimes does come off as a bit confusing. Overall I enjoyed reading this series.

Regarding the final chapter, I wouldn’t like to believe Isaki died like some have theorised earlier in this thread. I mean it’s entirely possible but just feels like a stretch as she’s literally there, why would Nakami be hallucinating a conversation with her for no real reason? Still I feel like any way I try to spin the ending it’s definitely not the happiest. To me it feels like the two haven’t met in a while (”was your camera always this heavy?”) but if so, why did they drift apart between those twelve years and in general what happened between them and now intrigues me.

But I’m all caught up, started in March, picked this one on a whim as I wanted to read something finished and less action-focused without knowing anything about it beforehand and I’d say overall it was worth it. I think I heard about the anime a little when it was airing but never looked much to it, only saw the promotional poster somewhere back then.
Apr 10, 1:33 AM
Sep 2007
No, the ending is not as open-ended as commenters make it out to be. No, this chapter isn't a an extended dark delusion along the lines of "Actually the children in Totoro are dead" creepypasta.

In chapter 59, Magari talks about a future where she and Nakami travel the world together taking pictures, and here we see them looking exactly the same, even with the same clothes.

When they previously tried to cross all seven bridges to grant their wish, Magari deliberately messed up because she didn't want to give herself and Nakami hope for something that would probably not happen (that Magari would be healthy and that they would live together happily).

In this chapter, Magari has the resolve and hope to successfully cross all the seven bridges, which she accomplishes with Nakami, and thus their wish comes true: that they would have a future TOGETHER. This has been built up since the first several chapters when the seven bridges rumor was first introduced.

Which is why in the very next scene, we see them together twelve years in the future.
Apr 12, 9:27 AM
Oct 2019
The ending really soured this story for me. I grew so attached to Isaki so I was glad to see her alive, but the lack of info and closure really drove me nuts. Most of the manga after chapter 55 seemed a little rushed and it seems like Nakami and Isaki became less and less romantic. My sweet Isaki deserved better so I guess I’ll just write my own ending. It took me a while to get over this ending in all honestly it made me pretty angry and sad. Nakami just turns ghost and can’t even give Isaki the time of day towards the end. Like wtf is wrong with that dude. I hope that if the anime gets a second season that it makes some changes to the ending kind of how like it added a few extra scenes to the ending of the first season that made it a lot better in my opinion. I hate how such a beautiful character like Isaki gets this ending. If you can’t tell. Kinda mad.
Apr 26, 12:49 PM

Aug 2018
I thought it was a beautiful way to end the manga, open-ended or whatever. But I kept rereading the last few panels again and again. The interaction between Nakami and Magari definitely felt off. I'm inclined to think either...

1. Magari's already dead. I don't know exactly when. Nakami is just imagining Magari at the end there. We didn't see her face at all. Nakami's life just spiraled down, and he got depressed. He looks sad and unkempt. I really hope this isn't the case.

2. They are, in fact, together. But their interaction at the end in the last few panels says otherwise. However, apparently, people online say that the author confirmed on Twitter that she's still alive, and they are living happily together. So maybe I'm just dumb.

Whatever the case, I really enjoyed the manga. I wanted more chapters of them after graduation, but I'm okay with this.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 124 Discussion

MegamiRem - Jul 30, 2023

15 by Rhae »»
Apr 26, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 123 Discussion

MegamiRem - Jul 18, 2023

10 by Rhae »»
Apr 26, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 117 Discussion

CQLLIST - May 28, 2023

2 by Rhae »»
Apr 26, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 113 Discussion

CQLLIST - May 28, 2023

4 by Rhae »»
Apr 26, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 106 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 8, 2023

4 by Rhae »»
Apr 26, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.