Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2023 3:22 AM
May 2017
Movie looks cool but have not seen the show and have no plans to ever watch it. As I understand it, the movie takes place directly after the events of the show but is non-canon. Can you watch the movie without having seen the show and still mostly understand what's going on?
Jun 19, 2023 3:38 AM

Aug 2022
Tbh, the movie has little plot and little to no storyline. (It's non-canon and doesn't take place after the show). So if you were to judge BC's plot from this movie it would be pretty wrong to do so. As most of the people already hate Black clover after watching the movie they will be like "BC has no plot, it's only carried by magic and fights".
It's something made for fans who have watched the show and have been waiting for 2 years.
Also, if you need to know how magic works, different kinds of kingdoms, grimoire, characters, power, lore, and stuff. You need to watch the show. But the movie is still understandable even if you haven't watched the show 🙂
Nevermind54Jun 19, 2023 3:47 AM

Jun 19, 2023 3:39 AM

Aug 2020
It would be better to see the show so you know the characters and lore first but it’s a non canon movie and is mostly action no story so I say you can watch it without seeing the show.
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more Dekugo😭
Jun 19, 2023 3:39 AM
Aug 2022
there are some points where you need to know from anime what is happening but ig you can watch the movie anyway (i mean you can watch the anime because is really good, you will see if you will watch the movie)
Jun 19, 2023 4:45 AM
Dec 2022
just the usual movie, maybe not my taste 😔
Jun 19, 2023 5:04 AM
Feb 2021
Obviously you need to watch the show first! You need to know the characters to enjoy this movie
Jun 19, 2023 6:04 AM
Feb 2022
well it Will help to know WTF is going on but you do you
Jun 19, 2023 6:16 AM
Jun 2022
if you read( or learn about the characters another way,) them you could but I don't recommend it
Jun 19, 2023 6:54 AM
May 2022
Asta is a guy with no magical power but has the ability to weild Anti-Magic swords. Also his magic book is possessed by a Devil, when the people of the country found out he had to run away and go into hiding. Since he doesn't have magic powers he does a lot of gym and is buff

Yuno is his rival, they grew up together in the village of Haaj, he has Wind magic and also the help of the Wind spirit. He's a commoner but is almost stronger than anyone else

Asta and Yuno are peasant people

Yami, the guy in a wife beater is Asta's captain, uses dark magic katanas, likes to shit, key phrase "surpass your limits"

People's magical spells comes from their Grimiore, which is a book that they have with them and they can't perform spells without it even though they can use it to do minor magic things

The current Wizard King has turned into an infant due to him losing in a big battle with the elves previously. Hence he's powerless in this battle

The Lumiere guy they'll keep talking about is the 1st Wizard King ever (500 years ago or something like that). That Nero girl was his companion and that time but she's still around. 1st WK was an inventor who liked to create different magical Items

Noelle is a Noble brat who loves Asta and weilds water Magic

Mereleona is badass bitch with fire magic, very hard to beat, smash

Also there is a class divide amongst the people where the Nobles (who weilds immense magic power) look down upon the common folk with no Noble blood.

I think I covered everything you need to know, let me know if I missed anything
Jun 19, 2023 6:58 AM
Oct 2022
Definitely you need to watch er the full show before the movie
Jun 19, 2023 7:08 AM
Oct 2019
EXCLMaker said:
Movie looks cool but have not seen the show and have no plans to ever watch it. As I understand it, the movie takes place directly after the events of the show but is non-canon. Can you watch the movie without having seen the show and still mostly understand what's going on?
You *can*, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think you'd enjoy it as much if you don't know everyone's stories, the world, etc. But it's up to you. It's an entertaining movie and you'll still be able to get some value out of it. Will you "mostly" understand? Yes,  I think so, probably. 

It also happens between episodes 157-158, *not* after the series takes place. It's "non-canon" in the sense that it wasn't part of the original manga. But it's technically canon because they created a new manga volume to coincide with the story in the movie. 

Curious though, why will you never watch the anime? If you don't mind me asking. 

Also, if you watch the movie, I'd like to hear your thoughts as a non-anime watcher. If you were able to follow along and enjoy it, etc. The movie has a different "vibe" than the anime, which is to be expected since you can only cut so much into a movie. 
Jun 19, 2023 7:29 AM
Dec 2021
EXCLMaker said:

You have to watch the show first
Jun 19, 2023 7:39 AM
Oct 2021
Yes you do as the reason I enjoyed was seeing all these characters who I love appear again
Jun 19, 2023 7:55 AM
May 2017
HagePotPotato said:
EXCLMaker said:
Curious though, why will you never watch the anime? If you don't mind me asking.
Cause it's 170 episodes. I very rarely watch such long anime anymore, and Black Clover offers very little that makes me want to invest so much time into it. What shows like Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen and My Hero Academia do with releasing in separate seasons is far more manageable to get through and easy to get into than continuously running shows that balloon into 150+ episodes.
Jun 19, 2023 9:58 AM
Jul 2021
Yeah you need to watch the show obviously to get introduced to the general cast and the power system. It's a battle shounen series after all.
Jun 19, 2023 10:36 AM
Oct 2017
Nevermind54 said:
Tbh, the movie has little plot and little to no storyline. (It's non-canon and doesn't take place after the show). So if you were to judge BC's plot from this movie it would be pretty wrong to do so. As most of the people already hate Black clover after watching the movie they will be like "BC has no plot, it's only carried by magic and fights".
It's something made for fans who have watched the show and have been waiting for 2 years.
Also, if you need to know how magic works, different kinds of kingdoms, grimoire, characters, power, lore, and stuff. You need to watch the show. But the movie is still understandable even if you haven't watched the show 🙂
ong it's obviously canon when tabata literally released a manga volume and novel. Y'all really got zero braincells huh?
Jun 19, 2023 10:38 AM
Oct 2017
Yes you need to cause it's canon unlike what some of these misinformed dudes are saying cause tabata himself said it was and released a manga volume. There are also moments where you won't understand until you watch the show and certain characters don't show up until the end of the show's episodes.
Jun 19, 2023 10:41 AM

Jul 2020
If you only want to watch the movie without any care for the original Anime's lore, story and stuff, have no plans in watching it, and only want to watch it for the Animation, then I'd say go for it.
EXCLMaker said:
HagePotPotato said:
Cause it's 170 episodes. I very rarely watch such long anime anymore, and Black Clover offers very little that makes me want to invest so much time into it. What shows like Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen and My Hero Academia do with releasing in separate seasons is far more manageable to get through and easy to get into than continuously running shows that balloon into 150+ episodes.

You can do the same for Black clover too.
Watch it arc-wise. Complete one arc and then take a break.
Black Clover offers very little that makes me want to invest so much time into it

Also, how can you judge a series without even watching it?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 19, 2023 11:32 AM
Oct 2019
EXCLMaker said:
HagePotPotato said:
I think it's more like ~135 if you cut the filler (mostly towards the end when they caught up to the manga), which is about what MHA is at now, I think? 

But it's a "longer" anime, certainly. I don't think it being weekly vs seasonal changes much. You just watch at your own pace either way. 

How do you know what it offers if you haven't watched it? Sincere question, not an insult. And I'm not trying to make you watch BC, just expressing my thoughts. Nobody should watch something they don't want to watch haha. 
Jun 19, 2023 12:46 PM

Aug 2022
Skywringer101 said:
Nevermind54 said:
ong it's obviously canon when tabata literally released a manga volume and novel. Y'all really got zero braincells huh?

this has no connection to the original story despite the fact that it happened during/or after the heart:v: kingdom arc

Jun 19, 2023 1:53 PM
May 2022
not really, watched the show and didn't enjoy the movie
Jun 20, 2023 12:40 AM
Jan 2021
It's better to watch the show. The movie isn't necessarily canon to the manga, but it's anime canon. Tabata had the movie take place around the time skip and the movie also references multiple times events that are canon from the anime series.

So yeah, I definitely think it's best if you watch the series first
Jun 20, 2023 2:54 AM
Oct 2017
Nevermind54 said:
Skywringer101 said:

this has no connection to the original story despite the fact that it happened during/or after the heart:v: kingdom arc
stop being dumb for once. The author himself has said this is canon and released manga volume 23.5 where they explain when it happened.
Jun 20, 2023 2:55 AM
Oct 2017
ehimmel said:
It's better to watch the show. The movie isn't necessarily canon to the manga, but it's anime canon. Tabata had the movie take place around the time skip and the movie also references multiple times events that are canon from the anime series.

So yeah, I definitely think it's best if you watch the series first
no it's manga canon too considering the release of volume 23.5
Jun 20, 2023 1:01 PM
Dec 2018
I do think that if you want to enjoy it more you need to know more about the story.

imagine hearing a character that is already powerful, saying he needs no surpass his limits and suddenly a demon appears. For those who don't watch the anime they did think the demon is just a deus ex machina.

I just feel like this movie was more so for the fans of BC, they know we miss it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover: Mahou Tei no Ken Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KayKimii - Jun 16, 2023

214 by scout_joe »»
May 16, 12:27 PM

» Can we get more MOVIES ?

HP445 - Sep 30, 2023

15 by Foreall908 »»
Oct 6, 2023 2:59 AM

» Continuation of the anime?

vaedeer - Dec 1, 2022

41 by vaedeer »»
Sep 30, 2023 12:50 PM

Poll: » Yami was nerfed?

Gonryo_Spectrum - Jul 9, 2023

12 by Scordolo »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:45 AM

» What did you score this and why? ( 1 2 )

aoo-kun - Jun 22, 2023

54 by Mewann »»
Jul 8, 2023 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.