Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 17, 2023 8:57 PM
Oct 2021
I should preface this with a couple of warnings:
> MAJOR SPOILERS FOR EVERY PART OF THIS MOVIE AHEAD
> It’s fine if you liked this movie, I’m not here to judge, but I will be breaking down every inconsistency I have noticed throughout my two watches.
> I don’t hate Makoto Shinkai as a director, in fact, I loved Kimi no Na wa so much that it’s one of my few 10/10 ratings on MAL.
> This is by no means a conclusive list, nor is is it professionally written (this is definitely a pure rant on my part).

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 17, 2023 9:08 PM
Apr 2022
Atsunome said:
> It’s fine if you liked this movie, I’m not here to judge, but I will be breaking down every inconsistency I have noticed throughout my two watches.
> I don’t hate Makoto Shinkai as a director, in fact, I loved Kimi no Na wa so much that it’s one of my few 10/10 ratings on MAL.
> This is by no means a conclusive list, nor is is it professionally written (this is definitely a pure rant on my part).

Relax. I think its a pretty solid movie i would say
Mar 17, 2023 9:09 PM
Mar 2023
your gripes

McDonalds ads

no oxygen in the air

people not seeing them fly

her transformation and how that isn't how water works
P.S. the entire film isnt suppose to be super realistic obviously and it's methorphical and uses heavy Japanese culture influences. So if you don't know Japanese culture well and what they believe in and their ideals this is gunna fly over your head

alot of your criticisms are childish if I'm being honest
Mar 17, 2023 9:16 PM
Sep 2021
Jellyeon said:
Atsunome said:

bro you totally misunderstand the point of criticism or this thread
Mar 17, 2023 9:18 PM
Oct 2022
is this guy really trying to correlate a fictional fantasy to real life you can't be serious?😭 next my guy is gonna say humans can't fly so that's a fault as well
Mar 17, 2023 9:19 PM
Oct 2022
TBH i never really liked this movie that much, i just watched this and i was like meh..

To answer some of your questions based on my perspective, this story was like a forced one to just focus on the MC and Hina and didn't really put that much effort into side details because well come on this is a 1hr 30mins movie and you can't do that much in this timespan. The story progressed a bit faster(i think) and that'a another proof that this has short timespan.

The tokyo that's portrayed here is a somewhst corrupted one, for example like a cyberpunk city (except remove all the hyper technology stuff like flying cars..). To put it simply, people are corrupted. So the use of guns has increased and maybe someone who used it just threw it in the dustbin, maybe because they were running away from the cops and just wanted to hide it.. the other questions can be answered like this if you were to think a bit creatively(or stupidly)..

Also about the man who took like half screen time, he does have a bit of plot like him having a wife and child and the wife passing away and stuff, well things need to happen for the story to progress you know like i said "Forced story, mainly focused on MC and Hina"

Seeking logic in a fictional movie isn't going to work.. yes somethings you said didn't really make any sense but there are a lot of fictional animes and movies out there which, if you were to compare with RL, doesn't make any sense whatsoever. You know, you just have to enjoy it cause you can't experience it.
Hearts__Mar 17, 2023 9:23 PM
Mar 17, 2023 9:41 PM
Apr 2022
lFrogs said:
Jellyeon said:

I know, but im not into that kind of thing where people actually watch it on 0.25 speed just to get that every single detail of the movie.

Im just gonna say this. I watched the movie, even though the plot is soo random such as hodaka coincidentally found a gun in trash bin.

Its a movie that plot the whole story.
And the whole story is purely a plotted imaginary from the author himself. All i can do is observe it.

Im saying random skidaddle bcoz of how the first thread just jump in so randomly so basically
Just random things mixed up
Mar 17, 2023 9:42 PM
May 2016
I thought it will be an interesting, objective read, but it was stupid and childish.

Just because YOU can't explain something, it doesn't mean it's inconsistency.

To be inconsistent, you have to name 2 moments and compare those.
What you worth here is plot conveniences, which are not exactly problems.

EDIT: I mean your points have more inconsistency than the film has.
ktgMar 17, 2023 11:05 PM
Mar 17, 2023 10:07 PM
Aug 2021
Good movie, but every time there was a problem in this movie, it was resolved in literally a few minutes. Characters were good but the impact isn’t as impactful as your name.
Mar 17, 2023 10:28 PM
Jan 2021
don't remember 90% of the movie tbh
Mar 17, 2023 10:31 PM

Aug 2020
for me the ending makes no sense.
what is the massage?
we should not try to control global warming?
Mar 17, 2023 11:07 PM
Oct 2021
ktg said:
I thought it will be an interesting, objective read, but it was stupid and childish.

If the viewer is unable to comprehend and or enjoy the plot of a movie, the entire point of having a piece of entertainment has failed.
Mar 17, 2023 11:17 PM
Oct 2021
I’m trying to quote people but this system doesn’t seem to work :/
Mar 17, 2023 11:20 PM
May 2016
Atsunome said:
ktg said:

If the viewer is unable to comprehend and or enjoy the plot of a movie, the entire point of having a piece of entertainment has failed.

First, no, certain movies are made for certain people with different intellectual level. And I'm not necessarily talking about smart people. It's even true for stupid people, like fart jokes are not funny above a certain intellectual level.
Second, no, because most people enjoyed it as the score shows.

You are minority here, so every argument when you try to legitimate your point by talking about majority, average or generality, is a fallacy.
Mar 17, 2023 11:21 PM
Oct 2021
K7N6 said:
your gripes

McDonalds ads

no oxygen in the air

P.S. the entire film isnt suppose to be super realistic obviously and it's methorphical and uses heavy Japanese culture influences. So if you don't know Japanese culture well and what they believe in and their ideals this is gunna fly over your head

As I said at the beginning, I love Kimi no Na wa and all of the symbolism it includes. This is because that movie is able to construct and describe a proper narrative without any outside knowledge needed (it perfectly relates the flow of the cords and time back to the main story). Tenki no Ko fails in every single aspect of that, unable to even stick to one motif and elaborate in a way that allows viewers to understand.
Mar 17, 2023 11:22 PM
Oct 2021
Jellyeon said:
lFrogs said:

I know, but im not into that kind of thing where people actually watch it on 0.25 speed just to get that every single detail of the movie.

Im just gonna say this. I watched the movie, even though the plot is soo random such as hodaka coincidentally found a gun in trash bin.

Its a movie that plot the whole story.
And the whole story is purely a plotted imaginary from the author himself. All i can do is observe it.

Im saying random skidaddle bcoz of how the first thread just jump in so randomly so basically
Just random things mixed up
I didn’t slow the movie down at all, and I’ve actually only watched it twice. As I said, there is likely a lot more I missed and this is just scratching the surface.
Mar 17, 2023 11:23 PM
Oct 2021

KanataX said:
is this guy really trying to correlate a fictional fantasy to real life you can't be serious?😭 next my guy is gonna say humans can't fly so that's a fault as well
I literally said that I liked Kimi no Na wa, which also includes fantasy elements. Not only that, but I’m generally a fan of well-done fantasy shows and movies. It’s the poor execution and nearly non-existent explanations in Tenki no Ko that make it a terribly written movie.
Mar 17, 2023 11:36 PM
Oct 2021
ktg said:
Atsunome said:

First, no, certain movies are made for certain people with different intellectual level. And I'm not necessarily talking about smart people. It's even true for stupid people, like fart jokes are not funny above a certain intellectual level.
Second, no, because most people enjoyed it as the score shows.

You are minority here, so every argument when you try to legitimate your point by talking about majority, average or generality, is a fallacy.
Tell me, then, can you explain the lore of Tenki no Ko? 

Secondly, I never talked about the majority, I said ‘the’ as a way to describe myself and a few other people who share the same thoughts. 

Tying back to the first post in this chain, calling an argument ‘childish’ is an opinion backed up by nothing.
Mar 17, 2023 11:57 PM
Oct 2022
Atsunome said:

KanataX said:
I literally said that I liked Kimi no Na wa, which also includes fantasy elements. Not only that, but I’m generally a fan of well-done fantasy shows and movies. It’s the poor execution and nearly non-existent explanations in Tenki no Ko that make it a terribly written movie.

idk how you pointing out things like McDonald's ad,them breathing over clouds with no o2 even standing on clouds,buisness not having licence,how water works among others then expect me to believe you're a fan of the fantasy genre yea sure,idk how any of this need an explanation in a fictional world?
Mar 18, 2023 12:11 AM
Oct 2021

KanataX said:
Atsunome said:

idk how you pointing out things like McDonald's ad,them breathing over clouds with no o2 even standing on clouds,buisness not having licence,how water works among others then expect me to believe you're a fan of the fantasy genre yea sure,idk how any of this need an explanation in a fictional world?

Fantasy only really works to immerse the audience when the lore points are explained within the selected media. If the producers of Tenki no Ko has put even an ounce of effort into having one of the characters state WHY they are able to breathe with so little oxygen, walk on the clouds (can anyone do that? Are they special for some reason? Just provide an answer!) or how the water in THIS VERSION OF THE WORLD works (if you make something new up, you need to explain how and why it functions the way it does) it would have been much better.

Sure, the business thing might have been a nitpick (still my opinion), but the other points still stand. As for the McDonald’s ad, I personally find it to be a slap in the face to subtly and artistic value (Kimi no Na wa has an ad for Boss, but they handled it in such a way that it didn’t blatantly take me out of the movie). 
Mar 18, 2023 12:45 AM
Oct 2022
Atsunome said:

KanataX said:

Fantasy only really works to immerse the audience when the lore points are explained within the selected media. If the producers of Tenki no Ko has put even an ounce of effort into having one of the characters state WHY they are able to breathe with so little oxygen, walk on the clouds (can anyone do that? Are they special for some reason? Just provide an answer!) or how the water in THIS VERSION OF THE WORLD works (if you make something new up, you need to explain how and why it functions the way it does) it would have been much better.

Sure, the business thing might have been a nitpick (still my opinion), but the other points still stand. As for the McDonald’s ad, I personally find it to be a slap in the face to subtly and artistic value (Kimi no Na wa has an ad for Boss, but they handled it in such a way that it didn’t blatantly take me out of the movie). 

i mean if you need an explanation for those ig you need explanation for how they're able to fly as well as i previously stated?or how a random girl is able to control weather suddenly,the movie is by no means a perfect movie there's too many imperfections but the people involved in it assume those that are gonna watch this have the capability to differentiate fiction and real life i got nothing else to say
Mar 18, 2023 12:55 AM
Oct 2021
Alright, this thread is getting a bit wild so I’ll be heading off now. 

I won’t be responding to anything after this.

Let’s agree to disagree with our opinions.
Mar 18, 2023 1:00 AM
Aug 2022
im not gonna lie, most, if not all of this list is just childish and/or petty complaints for a very good movie
Mar 18, 2023 4:05 AM
Jun 2022
VilexRoss said:
for me the ending makes no sense.
what is the massage?
we should not try to control global warming?

Yes we should return to oceans
Mar 18, 2023 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
That's some serious nitpicking right there.

Mar 18, 2023 5:02 AM
Mar 2023
Atsunome said:
K7N6 said:
your gripes

McDonalds ads

no oxygen in the air

As I said at the beginning, I love Kimi no Na wa and all of the symbolism it includes. This is because that movie is able to construct and describe a proper narrative without any outside knowledge needed (it perfectly relates the flow of the cords and time back to the main story). Tenki no Ko fails in every single aspect of that, unable to even stick to one motif and elaborate in a way that allows viewers to understand.

if you love the symbolism in your name then how does the same level of symbolism that's displayed in weathering with you made by the same guy fly right over your head and you reduce it to the most simplified thing?
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenki no Ko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Jul 18, 2019

383 by Myetx »»
Mar 9, 3:16 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

19 by Atsunome »»
Mar 13, 2023 5:50 PM

» Did anyone spotted Yotsuha Miyamizu (Mitsuha's little sister)????

IvenDOCson - Jun 17, 2021

5 by Dutch_Chief »»
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.