Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Jan 13, 2023 12:23 PM
Jun 2011
I have used this site forever but the reviews on series pages have ruined this site for many years now. The reviews section has developed into a trolling cesspool. 

Why dont you make a 1-10 rating (just like people score and rank anime reviews) for each specific review? This 1-10 scale would allow much better scaling for displaying the most beneficial reviews correctly. 

Allowing a handful of members to manipulate and ruin the review system is rediculous for a site like MAL.
Jan 28, 2023 8:15 PM
Jun 2011
I’ve noticed that when clicking the drop-down for reviews in the app or mobile site it’s doesn’t correlate with the actual reviews. Example: you’ll hit the arrow drop down and see 3 negative terrible troll reviews but when actually transitioning to the correct page it’s totally different. This really needs to change
Jan 29, 2023 8:12 PM
Jan 2023
Not permitting individuals to communicate they could do without a survey likewise conflicts with free discourse, no?
Feb 8, 2023 6:05 AM

Feb 2010
I ended up using anime-planet for reviews since it has a normal "Most Helpful" sort and none of this emoji nonsense.
May 3, 2023 1:16 AM

Jan 2008
"Hello Beatnik,

I'm writing to inform you that one of your reviews has been removed.

As stated in the Review Guidelines, all reviews must not address the viewer."

This has to be a practical joke right? What the hell has happened to this place?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 4, 2023 8:49 AM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:
This has to be a practical joke right? What the hell has happened to this place?
MAL is slowly and deliberately killing off the old community for a larger new one. Simple as that.

The rampages that have been committed in the last two years are beyond tolerable. "Why am I still using this site?" has been a rhetorical question of mine since months.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
May 4, 2023 11:01 AM

Jan 2008
Junchi said:
Beatnik said:
MAL is slowly and deliberately killing off the old community for a larger new one. Simple as that.

The rampages that have been committed in the last two years are beyond tolerable. "Why am I still using this site?" has been a rhetorical question of mine since months.

Indeed, I just can't see how any of the changes have been beneficial for the users who keep this place alive, it's all self-inflicted sabotage pushing people away. MAL used to actually be a community in the truest sense of the word, not this sterile wasteland plagued with oppressive enforcers.

Personally I think this place started losing the plot when they changed the naming convention of all titles from English to 'Romaji'. It's the most pretentious weebo shit I've ever seen, making the website borderline incoherent to navigate.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 9, 2023 12:25 AM
Oct 2018
So admins basically ignore the user-base completely? Everyone and their mother already told them that the current system is shit where troll reviews get to the top because people vote them as "confusing" or "funny" as the only two votes that can be vaguely considered as negative (confusing=wtf are you talking about, funny=your review is a joke), if you don't believe it then check the top review to Vinland Saga Part 2, that's just your typical low effort bait without anything funny about it and yet look at the votes... 
May 24, 2023 2:47 AM

Sep 2010
Junchi said:
Beatnik said:

But where is this new community? All I see is old users leaving. Young people use reddit or anilist. MAL is just digging its own grave here.
Jun 10, 2023 10:48 AM
Oct 2015
We're already seeing the effect of this terrible system taking place. Now, at the top of every anime review pages we see overwhelming negative reviews written for the sake of manufacturing some kind of reaction, not because they are particularly insightful or helpful. Hell i f a review receive 2000 confused reactions then what business it has being on top?
Jun 18, 2023 10:16 PM

Feb 2014

LangleyAsuka said:
We're already seeing the effect of this terrible system taking place. Now, at the top of every anime review pages we see overwhelming negative reviews written for the sake of manufacturing some kind of reaction, not because they are particularly insightful or helpful. Hell i f a review receive 2000 confused reactions then what business it has being on top?
Exactly. Confusing is basically the new dislike, but it instead pushes bad reviews up. The review system needs another overhaul and I mean just going back to "like" and "dislike". There's no need to overcomplicate this with the reactions. 
Jun 19, 2023 3:07 PM

Feb 2010
Beatnik said:
"Hello Beatnik,

Wow that's terrible, I had no idea about that! The emoji system and hidden scores are pretty bad but I hate to imagine what other crap was done to them over the years. I can't remember ever seeing a single post of positive feedback about the current state of reviews.

Also confusing/funny reactions seem like low-key ways to insult the reviewer. A simple dislike or unhelpful vote is enough to say "I don't like this".

It definitely appears that a handful of review mods influenced these changes. That could be ok, but unfortunately I don't believe most mods process feedback or share a perspective with the userbase at large- considering that the user feedback is overwhelmingly negative! And often times they respond to such criticism with condescending "here's why we did this" posts that barely address a user's criticism, if addressing it at all. Nor can they ever give a persuasive argument for the changes lol. Seems to be the situation with updates in general at this point, very disappointing. However in fairness I haven't read through all the posts in this thread.

Jun 20, 2023 4:11 AM

Jan 2008
Shishio-kun said:
Beatnik said:
"Hello Beatnik,

Wow that's terrible, I had no idea about that! The emoji system and hidden scores are pretty bad but I hate to imagine what other crap was done to them over the years. I can't remember ever seeing a single post of positive feedback about the current state of reviews.

Also confusing/funny reactions seem like low-key ways to insult the reviewer. A simple dislike or unhelpful vote is enough to say "I don't like this".

It definitely appears that a handful of review mods influenced these changes. That could be ok, but unfortunately I don't believe most mods process feedback or share a perspective with the userbase at large- considering that the user feedback is overwhelmingly negative! And often times they respond to such criticism with condescending "here's why we did this" posts that barely address a user's criticism, if addressing it at all. Nor can they ever give a persuasive argument for the changes lol. Seems to be the situation with updates in general at this point, very disappointing. However in fairness I haven't read through all the posts in this thread.

Even worse was that some mod decided to remove my decade old review from a random anime that most people have never heard of. Like...why!? How did that benefit the site?

All the website's changes over the years have made this place counter-intuitive and downright unfriendly. I'm too lazy to export my list to another place just yet, but it does feel like I'm reaching my limit. I guess it's just the way of things, most websites eventually ruin themselves and die, I mean look at the nonsense going on with Reddit and Twitter lately.

The emoji thing is so silly, all we need is an 'agree/disagree' option.
Jun 20, 2023 2:21 PM

Jun 2021
Beatnik said:
Even worse was that some mod decided to remove my decade old review from a random anime that most people have never heard of. Like...why!? How did that benefit the site?

That's just sad. They should at least have given you time to "improve" (or edit) your decade-old review.
Jul 2, 2023 4:32 PM
Jun 2016
IridescentJaune said:
Beatnik said:

That's just sad. They should at least have given you time to "improve" (or edit) your decade-old review.
Well when a site hates it own userbase its obvious their going to try and piss people off, and push mentally unwell people further into... Everything's going to shit in life, why would you purposly fuck up a webiste based on reviewing with a garbage review system? Update? More like corporatization, MAL is not Facebook, even if it is the equivalent(Which its not) why would you change your site to a failing business model? (Sleek design, No character, No soul, Power hungry mods with a review ban hammer swinging it like a ape throwing shit. LEAVE OUR 10+ YEAR OLD REVIEWS ALONE.)
Aug 2, 2023 6:26 AM

Sep 2010
One year later still nothing has been fixed.

A thread with over 400 replies completely ignored.

Dozen of threads in the suggestion board completely ignored.

Congratulations!
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

214 by Veredus »»
18 minutes ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
9 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.