Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
May 29, 2022 8:11 AM

May 2022
Didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I did. Kind of hurts the that the trailer is really deceptive and doesn't show much compared to other shows. My expectations where quite a bit lower as I usually decide mostly on the trailer and the synopsis. I think the story is really strong as I was expecting that to possibly be one of the weak points. The characters are also a lot more interesting then I expected. As a whole this show had a lot of amazing moments and was a standout to not judge a book by its cover.
May 29, 2022 8:19 AM
Feb 2021
the movie was beautiful
May 29, 2022 8:21 AM

Jul 2019
Everything about it is amazing. It is the most important anime but it doesn't seem to get that kind of respect. Oh well.
May 29, 2022 8:22 AM

Aug 2018
the deceptiveness seen in the trailer is kinda the whole point. It's best to go into this show completely blind so that it comes as a surprise when it turns dark. Although at this point the show's reputation proceeds itself so anyone who doesn't know what they're in for must be living under a rock.

But anyway, it's been years since I first watched it and I don't remember exactly what my expectations were.
May 29, 2022 8:30 AM
Jan 2021
Zoopiez said:
Didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I did. Kind of hurts the that the trailer is really deceptive and doesn't show much compared to other shows. My expectations where quite a bit lower as I usually decide mostly on the trailer and the synopsis. I think the story is really strong as I was expecting that to possibly be one of the weak points. The characters are also a lot more interesting then I expected. As a whole this show had a lot of amazing moments and was a standout to not judge a book by its cover.

I already know the show was gonna turn dark and edgy, so the show was just pretty mediocre for me
May 29, 2022 8:33 AM
Aug 2021
It was refreshing to have a sort of ‘flip’ on the traditional take of magical girl anime. Also this whole idea of taking types of anime tropes and turning them on their head for something more dark is very interesting and appreciated, especially when it’s done well. The best thing though is that Madoka doesn’t try to be so deep that it confuses watchers like ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ but it also doesn’t go so meta that it becomes too shallow or too easy to digest. I wish there were more like this here. Hopefully you all have some good recommendations
May 29, 2022 8:36 AM
Nov 2019
Strat2005 said:
Zoopiez said:

I already know the show was gonna turn dark and edgy, so the show was just pretty mediocre for me

calling madoka "edgy" is like calling K-on "thrilling", you're technically not wrong but also you couldn't be more wrong
May 29, 2022 8:37 AM

Aug 2018
Kimochi_nae said:
It was refreshing to have a sort of ‘flip’ on the traditional take of magical girl anime. Also this whole idea of taking types of anime tropes and turning them on their head for something more dark is very interesting and appreciated, especially when it’s done well. The best thing though is that Madoka doesn’t try to be so deep that it confuses watchers like ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ but it also doesn’t go so meta that it becomes too shallow or too easy to digest. I wish there were more like this here. Hopefully you all have some good recommendations

Rozen Maiden, Princess Principal, Steins Gate, Made in Abyss and Girl's Last Tour. All are light shows on the surface that have a surprising amount of darkness within.
May 29, 2022 8:39 AM
Aug 2021
epidemia78 said:
Kimochi_nae said:

Rozen Maiden, Princess Principal, Steins Gate, Made in Abyss and Girl's Last Tour. All are light shows on the surface that have a surprising amount of darkness within.
you are a shining light Thankyou
May 29, 2022 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
I was more surprised I didn't enjoy this. I've always been interested in magical girls, and I even like the darker titles that supposedly ripped off Madoka Magica. The guy who wrote this story simply has no talent.
その目だれの目?
May 29, 2022 8:49 AM

Aug 2018
Kimochi_nae said:
epidemia78 said:

No problem. I see you added Princess Tutu as well. Good choice. I knew there was one I was forgetting. Oh and the 2013 rozen maiden is basically a sequel so you should definitely watch the original first:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/64/Rozen_Maiden
May 29, 2022 8:51 AM
Aug 2021
epidemia78 said:
Kimochi_nae said:

No problem. I see you added Princess Tutu as well. Good choice. I knew there was one I was forgetting. Oh and the 2013 rozen maiden is basically a sequel so you should definitely watch the original first:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/64/Rozen_Maiden
oh okay I thought princess tutu was different than princess principle let me go add that one
May 29, 2022 9:18 AM
Feb 2021
it was good imo ion enjoy horror shows much but i did like it that means something alright
it was good but wasn't as good/impactful as people said it would turn out to be
kyuubei is the best character of the show btw
May 29, 2022 9:26 AM

Jul 2021
kushakashi said:
Strat2005 said:

calling madoka "edgy" is like calling K-on "thrilling", you're technically not wrong but also you couldn't be more wrong

very true. it's hardly a mediocre show even if the twist is spoiled—aesthetically it stands out like nothing else from the visuals to the soundtrack, the characters are great and iconic, and overall it's very, very rewatchable. idk where you find 'mediocre' in all of that, but i can't, personally. :3
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
May 29, 2022 9:41 AM

Aug 2018
3looming said:
kushakashi said:

very true. it's hardly a mediocre show even if the twist is spoiled—aesthetically it stands out like nothing else from the visuals to the soundtrack, the characters are great and iconic, and overall it's very, very rewatchable. idk where you find 'mediocre' in all of that, but i can't, personally. :3

No matter how good a show is, there's always gonna be someone who doesn't like it. Not only that but people tend to be extra-critical of highly popular shows like this one. The hype creates impossible levels of expectation.

Calling it mediocre isn't so bad anyway. It's probably just a matter of time til this thread attracts a true hater.
May 29, 2022 10:59 AM
May 2021
It was mediocre at best. The time travel scene was copied from jojo part 4 and steins gate but I enjoyed it.
Sand_bagMay 29, 2022 11:03 AM
May 29, 2022 11:32 AM

Jul 2020
Lucifrost said:
The guy who wrote this story simply has no talent.
You really need to try out Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass if you think that that's the case.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
May 29, 2022 11:37 AM
Dec 2017
I watched it as soon as i found out about Gen Urobuchi working on it and this is what got me into magical girl as well as uta~kata and princess tutu.

May 29, 2022 11:49 AM

Feb 2016
41413 said:
Lucifrost said:
I was more surprised I didn't enjoy this. I've always been interested in magical girls, and I even like the darker titles that supposedly ripped off Madoka Magica. The guy who wrote this story simply has no talent.

Because YOU didn't like it, means he has no talent?

As I said, I enjoy other anime that deal with the same concept as Madoka Magica. The only thing separating those good anime from this bad anime is the identity of the writer.
その目だれの目?
May 29, 2022 11:56 AM
Jul 2019
The trailer is designed like that not to spoil anything though...
May 29, 2022 2:58 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Sand_bag said:
It was mediocre at best. The time travel scene was copied from jojo part 4 and steins gate but I enjoyed it.

And? JoJo Part 4 and Steins Gate also copied Doraemon, Hi no Tori. Satisfied?
May 29, 2022 3:02 PM
May 2021
kizumi91 said:
Sand_bag said:

I'm not saying about time travel in particular, I'm saying about endless time loop when akemi tried to save madoka again and again.
May 29, 2022 11:33 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Sand_bag said:
kizumi91 said:

I'm not saying about time travel in particular, I'm saying about endless time loop when akemi tried to save madoka again and again.

And? Some arcs of Doraemon and Hi no Tori also included time loop. Nice try but you failed miserably.
May 29, 2022 11:36 PM
May 2021
kizumi91 said:
Sand_bag said:

And? Some arcs of Doraemon and Hi no Tori also included time loop. Nice try but you failed miserably.
Nah man I think you are just dumb to understand.
May 29, 2022 11:42 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Sand_bag said:
kizumi91 said:

I'm not dumb but instead you are being delusional.
May 30, 2022 2:03 AM
Aug 2020
Zoopiez said:

Clearly Madoka magica is a masterpiece. Clearly it's a deconstruction of the magical genre; in other words, it's Evangelion but from the Shoujo and magical girl side.

Some of the amazing aspect of this show is the vast contrasts within each element of the show, and the consistency of the plot and the themes.

The enjoyment of this arises from it's unpredictability and dynamics. The dichotomy between Madoka and Homura and the parallelism between the nature of incubators and the nature of humanity is a great example of the the above said contrast. Not to mention the other characters, their stories and their perspectives.

Honestly, I never thought that a show could be this deceiving.
May 30, 2022 2:08 AM

Feb 2021
SmashBlack said:
Lucifrost said:
The guy who wrote this story simply has no talent.
You really need to try out Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass if you think that that's the case.

There are a lot of urobuchi haters out there…
May 30, 2022 2:20 AM
Aug 2020
Sand_bag said:
kizumi91 said:

I have never seen something so ridiculously wrong. no matter what elements are being used in the show. it's never a copy. it's not a troupe.

I mean it didn't copy the whole show. The conclusion wasn't even based on the time loop. yes, it was an important part of the overall story, which introduces us to Homura. Time loop is way to show Homura's determination in saving Madoka but it was never the true conclusion of the story.

The conclusion, in the anime at least, was purely based on Madoka wish and her goal. I am not saying that neither Homura or her time travel had nothing to do with it but all those played their roles in the story, i.e, to develop Madoka.

You are clearly not seeing what the anime is about and I am not even gonna bother bringing Rebellion (the movie) into this cause your opinion is an absolutely horrendous one.
May 30, 2022 2:26 AM
May 2021
kizuyomi said:
Sand_bag said:

I have never seen something so ridiculously wrong. no matter what elements are being used in the show. it's never a copy. it's not a troupe.

I mean it didn't copy the whole show. The conclusion wasn't even based on the time loop. yes, it was an important part of the overall story, which introduces us to Homura. Time loop is way to show Homura's determination in saving Madoka but it was never the true conclusion of the story.

The conclusion, in the anime at least, was purely based on Madoka wish and her goal. I am not saying that neither Homura or her time travel had nothing to do with it but all those played their roles in the story, i.e, to develop Madoka.

You are clearly not seeing what the anime is about and I am not even gonna bother bringing Rebellion (the movie) into this cause your opinion is an absolutely horrendous one.
I think you aren't able to take it that I'm right that's why you wrote down this paragraph. You are trying so hard to prove your pov.
May 30, 2022 2:34 AM
Aug 2020
Sand_bag said:
kizuyomi said:

I think you aren't able to take it that I'm right that's why you wrote down this paragraph. You are trying so hard to prove your pov.

I truly wonder whether people like at least try to understand a viewpoint.

Your opinion is amazing tho:

"A copy of Jojo part 4 and steins gate"
"I think you are too dumb to understand"

and then refuses to elaborate like an absolute Chad that you are.

Such dick energy wouldn't be found anywhere else.

Honestly, a show that is based on an ideological warfare is truly wasted on a Chad who is hell-bent to his own opinion.

How ironic. Truly a shame.
May 30, 2022 8:29 AM
Jan 2020
yes, watched in 2016 and to this day remains in my top 3
May 30, 2022 3:20 PM
May 2021
It was deceptive on purpose, so yeah, many people had that experience. I knew what I was going into, though.
May 30, 2022 5:42 PM
May 2021
one of the best magical girls anime out there
May 30, 2022 6:26 PM
Feb 2021
I started this show blind and I've to say it went beyond my expectations. A compelling story from start to finish. I only wish some more time was given to flesh out Mami and Kyoko's characters and backstoriea.
May 30, 2022 9:23 PM
Oct 2019
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm less interested in the "light but turns dark" aspect, more interested in examining tough themes like death, what a life is worth, is it worth going on or giving up, etc. I've watched this show 9 times thinking its the only show out there like that but I watched Wonder Egg Priority a few days ago and it scratched that same itch. Additionally, I would appreciate if the show targets a female/gender-neutral audience.
May 31, 2022 10:26 AM
Jul 2021
Zoopiez said:

I knew ………………………,…..,..,,,…………….
May 31, 2022 3:20 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Cultist13 said:
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm less interested in the "light but turns dark" aspect, more interested in examining tough themes like death, what a life is worth, is it worth going on or giving up, etc. I've watched this show 9 times thinking its the only show out there like that but I watched Wonder Egg Priority a few days ago and it scratched that same itch. Additionally, I would appreciate if the show targets a female/gender-neutral audience.

Steins Gate, I Sold My Life for Ten Thousand Yen a Year, Summertime Rendering, Colorful, Serial Experiments Lain, Girls Last Tour, Anohana, 5 Centimeters Per Second, A Place Further Than The Universe, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Code Geass, To Your Eternity, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Grave of The Fireflies, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Kino's Journey, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Terror in Resonance, Ergo Proxy, Monster, Death Parade, Violet Evergarden, and many more. These are the ones off the top of my head that I can think of that doesn't have ecchi or very much of it. I personally really recommend A Place Further Than The Universe. It's anime original with beautiful art and a wonderful a score. the cast is great and the story is beautiful. It's about 12 episodes and worth every second you spend on it. Also, Perfect Blue is one of my favorite movies of all time but it does have some nudity and gore. Not a lot and it's filled with beautiful scenes.
May 31, 2022 3:24 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Waiting for mods to lock this thread with all the fighting in it...
May 31, 2022 4:28 PM
Aug 2013
Sand_bag said:

Apparently Jojo owns the concept of time travel
Jun 18, 2022 11:53 PM
Dec 2017
I enjoyed it but that cat alien thing was annoying
Jun 19, 2022 8:48 AM

Aug 2020
I watched it out of curiosity cause i keep seeing people comparing madoka to goku and other strong character and i didn't think i would've enjoyed it this much, especially with the unpredictable plot twists

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.