Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2022 4:40 PM

Apr 2012
At least it's my favorite anime. No other anime I'vee seen offers such a great adventure, mixed of so many different elements that all come together perfectly.

The mysterious black-hooded children, the almost stereotypical jrpg-hero Thoma, the tragic Helga and he loyal little friend. All put into one serious story that ranges between fantasy and scifi in the best possible way. And just like "Now and Then, Here and THere", the use of a typically rather "childish" artstyle emphasizes the serious tone all the more.

It's such a bummer that nobody seems to know this anime, and when you recommend it to people, they're usually put off by the artstyle without giving the show a fair chance. :(

People often talk about the golden age of anime and mention stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Akira, but Fantastic Children absolutely is part of that golden age.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 2, 2022 4:44 PM
Oct 2019
can't say i've seen this, but your passion made me interested enough to add to my PTW. sounds cool.
Apr 2, 2022 6:19 PM

Apr 2012
kstiemsma said:
can't say i've seen this, but your passion made me interested enough to add to my PTW. sounds cool.

Thank you, that makes me really happy :)

Give it 2-3 episodes before you potentially drop it, although I tihnk it's great from episode 1.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 2, 2022 7:39 PM

Feb 2019
it's one of my all time favorites too, I think it's so amazing!! I try to use any opportunity to recommend it.

It's super unique, the character design is great and the story is so good I couldn't recommend it enough!
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Apr 2, 2022 7:42 PM

Feb 2021
I have heard about it but haven't watched it. I might like it as it is made by Nippon animation.
Apr 3, 2022 3:39 AM

Apr 2012
Maxtronex said:
I have heard about it but haven't watched it. I might like it as it is made by Nippon animation.

It absolutely has the same aura of quality as Nippon Animations'S other classics, yes.
Apr 3, 2022 3:51 AM

Jun 2016
Thanks for the rec. Is this based on Village of the Damned or are the similarities purely visual?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 3, 2022 4:11 AM

Apr 2012
Theo1899 said:
Thanks for the rec. Is this based on Village of the Damned or are the similarities purely visual?

It's a long time since I saw "Village of the Damned", but afaik no similarities at all other than children playing a major role.

Fantastic Children is a true adventure story, with likeable characters and a continuosly opening up plot and all sorts of elements that make for serious scenes but also lighthearted moments. "Village of the Damned" afaik is just a horror-movie.

If I had to make comparisons ... the old "Peter Pan no Bouken" anime is a bit like it. Although Fantastic Children is way better and not episodic like Peter Pan. If you reduced the action and condensed it to 26 episodes, I could even see Fullmetal Alchemist as a bit of a comparable story. Or also Ghibli's Laputa.

It's difficult to compare Fantastic Children to other anime or stories, because it's really its very own adventure journey. However, if you don't get hung up on the character designs, I guarantee that you'll enjoy it.
Sep 15, 2022 10:31 PM

Sep 2020
Just want to chime in that this will be in my top 10 list forever (list is not in actual ranking order so ignore its position).

I remember picking up all the dvds for $3 each from Big Lots back in the day. The artstyle was off-putting but the price made it worth it trying. And worth it, it was. Especially the ost, I was rocking myself to sleep with Voyage for weeks.

I really need to rewatch it again, and I wish it there was a blu-ray release.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Sep 20, 2022 8:40 AM

Apr 2012
SlammyHammy said:
Just want to chime in that this will be in my top 10 list forever (list is not in actual ranking order so ignore its position).

I remember picking up all the dvds for $3 each from Big Lots back in the day. The artstyle was off-putting but the price made it worth it trying. And worth it, it was. Especially the ost, I was rocking myself to sleep with Voyage for weeks.

I really need to rewatch it again, and I wish it there was a blu-ray release.

Yay, more Fantastic Children-fans ^^

They really need to do a HXH 2011-style remake; don't change the story, just give it up-to-date quality animation so that more people can watch this. :>
Sep 21, 2022 2:38 PM

Sep 2020
MyllerPhiem said:

They really need to do a HXH 2011-style remake; don't change the story, just give it up-to-date quality animation so that more people can watch this. :>

I wouldn't mind a remake, but I feel the original art adds too much to its charm to lose. But that might just be the rose-tinted glasses talking.

Now that I'm done with A Lull in the Sea (which is also fantastic), I'm going to rewatch FC.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Sep 21, 2022 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
SlammyHammy said:
MyllerPhiem said:

I wouldn't mind a remake, but I feel the original art adds too much to its charm to lose. But that might just be the rose-tinted glasses talking.

Now that I'm done with A Lull in the Sea (which is also fantastic), I'm going to rewatch FC.

You have seen "Now and Then, Here and There" already, have you? If not, you need to watch that one first. It's another masterpiece almost equal to FC. Either way, have fun.
Sep 21, 2022 4:37 PM

Sep 2020
MyllerPhiem said:
You have seen "Now and Then, Here and There" already, have you? If not, you need to watch that one first. It's another masterpiece almost equal to FC. Either way, have fun.

Yeah, I've seen it. Definitely a forgotten classic. I actually think I replaced it with FC on my favorites list!
Jun 2, 2023 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
It's good, very good, but there are a few problems that prevent it from being "one of the best of all time.

And... I just watched "Please, Save My Earth" from 1993 and it soured Fantastic Children a bit in my opinion.
FF is HEAVILY "inspired" but Save My Earth. It's no wonder that FF isn't more recognized and praised.

By the way, anyone who liked Fantastic Children even a bit should watch (and maybe read) Please, Save My Earth.
Jul 1, 2023 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
PaninaManina said:
It's good, very good, but there are a few problems that prevent it from being "one of the best of all time.

And... I just watched "Please, Save My Earth" from 1993 and it soured Fantastic Children a bit in my opinion.
FF is HEAVILY "inspired" but Save My Earth. It's no wonder that FF isn't more recognized and praised.

By the way, anyone who liked Fantastic Children even a bit should watch (and maybe read) Please, Save My Earth.
First of all, Fantastic Children is one of the best of all time regardless of you saying it isn't, that's just your opinion.

Secondly, I know Please Save my Earth, and what bogs it down massively is that it's a total shoujo-anime/manga, both in artstyle and story presentation. That's not bad per se, but it limits its audience, whereas Fantastic Children presents itself like a bonafide adventure-anime, welcoming all audiences. 

PSME is certainly worth checking out, but FC is in a league of its own imo.
Dec 3, 2023 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
Reminder that more people need to watch this. Now's the perfect time while it's cold outside. Don't miss out on THE best adventure story, guys!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 1 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

22 by dragynfaerie »»
Jan 15, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 25 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Mar 13, 2012

5 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:28 AM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 2 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

12 by KitsuFrost »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 24 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 7, 2009

25 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 8, 2023 9:31 AM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 23 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Mar 13, 2012

4 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 8, 2023 9:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.