Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 23, 2022 5:36 PM
Feb 2021
⚠️The answers might contain manga or anime spoiler from the recent season⚠️

I have this friend and we talk A LOT about AOT and usually give our opinions on the new episodes. Both of us finished the manga already and most of our opinions are similar but yesterday he said something that made me stop and question. Armin has been my favourite character since episode one, I’ve grown fan of other ones and even though he is NOT the character I relate to the most he’s still my favourite one. My friend just said he was useless, and when I tried to explain all the stuff that was figured it out because of him and how not just Erwin but also Hange and Levi end up putting their trust on him (his brains to be more exact) he still didn’t even change his mind a tiny bit. So now I’m questioning, do you think Armin is useless? And could you try to explain your reason please? Thank you :))
Mar 23, 2022 5:44 PM
May 2021
you should dismake your friendship with this dude or you'll soon be crazy like him as well
Mar 23, 2022 5:49 PM
Feb 2016
I mean yes, yes he is kinda useless. But I wouldn’t say his character is useless, he is a person who may be really really smart, but I personally like the idea that because of all this weight put on him, weight he never really wanted or asked for plays in to his insecurities even more. The weight that he should and would be more important than Erwin, plus all that happened in the port of marley must take it’s toll. He is realistic, he never was a sadistic maniac who doesn’t care if he would put someone’s life in danger for the greater good.

We could really see Connie grow these past episodes in his willingness to fight and push past his morals,, compared to Armin he never had anyone expecting anything less than to give it his best, while Armin on the other hand feels the pressure from everything being put on his shoulders.

He was the “worse” option compared to Erwin and he knows it, the only thing from our perspective that give him importance is Erens care for his friends and especially Armin and Mikasa
Mar 23, 2022 6:05 PM
Jun 2021
No. Next question.
Mar 23, 2022 6:09 PM
Nov 2021
hmm a little bit just kinda bothers me how at first he was suppose to be smart and they kinda ran with that a bit and kinda dropped it and he inherited the Titans power but we rarely ever see him use it ever
Mar 23, 2022 6:17 PM

Feb 2017
talk with no action

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Mar 23, 2022 6:30 PM
Aug 2021
Pre time skip- he helped a lot
Post time skip- useless
Mar 23, 2022 6:33 PM
Nov 2019
Avalokari said:
Post time skip- useless

Post time skip, the dude does just as much...

Nuked the port, shot Pieck, managed to work together to keep the peace, made a plan to stop Eren, as naive as it was, and is willing to put aside his personal connections for a greater good.
Mar 23, 2022 6:52 PM
Jan 2021
Not sure about the useless part. But he’s my least favourite character in AOT. I personally hate him.
Mar 23, 2022 7:04 PM
Dec 2021
Not really, you saw how Armin blew up the soldiers with the thunderspear
Mar 23, 2022 7:06 PM
Aug 2021
racers551 said:
Avalokari said:
Post time skip- useless

Nuked the port, shot Pieck, managed to work together to keep the peace, made a plan to stop Eren, as naive as it was, and is willing to put aside his personal connections for a greater good.

Nuking the port is literally him sitting in a boat and waiting to activate his transformation. You could say creating the plan to pick up Eren escape Marley, but that happens offscreen so we don’t know how much of that is his idea.
I forgot about him shooting pieck. That does work.
Peace certainly wasn’t kept with the 20%. They were just taking time to build themselves back up so they could have their revenge.
I can’t think of when Armin planned how to defeat Eren. Gabi made the realization of going for the neck for the worm to defeat Eren, so I’m guessing there must be something in forgetting there.
“Greater good” is a moral opinion and depends on personal opinion so it doesn’t count.

He does do some stuff post time skip, I guess it’s just that its not a whole lot in comparison to the level of what he’s done pre time skip. A lot of the stuff he did pre time skip had a lot of good strategy to it.
Ex: Planning a way to kill the titans in the gas room, finding a way to motivate Eren to wake up and move the boulder, creating a plan to prove Annie’s identity, figuring out the shifters could be hiding in hollow pockets in the walls, and outsmarting bertholdt.
Post time skip his achievements are more simple things like“shot pieck” “activated ability”.

He goes from a young tactical prodigy to a generic soldier.

Sorry for scuffed comments. Was trying to use the app and it’s dogwater
Mar 23, 2022 7:33 PM

Dec 2021
he is useless...... instead Erwin should have been revived....he could have control all the yeagerist and the situation

Mar 23, 2022 8:53 PM

May 2021
The plot wants him to be useless
Mar 23, 2022 9:06 PM
Jun 2020
He admitted himself that Erwin should’ve been the one they brought back, only time I remember him being useful was jumping into Connie’s mom’s mouth to save Falco, other than that he’s nothing like he was in the beginning. Especially at the end, when he’s trusted to do that one thing (if you know, you know) and doesn’t.
Mar 23, 2022 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
If you asked me between S1-3, I'd tell you to rewatch the show and pay even the slightest bit of attention.

If you ask me now, I hard agree that he's useless. He legit got the most powerful titan bar the founding and he does next to nothing with it.
Mar 23, 2022 10:31 PM
Jan 2021
racers551 said:
Avalokari said:
Post time skip- useless

>nuked the port because Eren forced him too. And that's what anyone holding collosal Titan will do nothing special

> shot pieck? In manga Armin told that "I missed it" which he failed

> Managed to achieve peace? When did they achieve peace?

> Made a plan to stop Eren which he failed except that

> Made his personal connection aside for a greater good?
Mar 23, 2022 11:18 PM
Jul 2021
depends on what you mean by useless. in a fight he's always been useless but as a tactician he's been amazing. I haven't finished season 4 yet but I do agree he's done less this season. I think he's a really good character still
Mar 23, 2022 11:33 PM
Mar 2022
How could you ask that?! obviously no
Mar 23, 2022 11:47 PM

Jan 2021
I mean dude, he did a lot during the final arc. I wouldn't call him useless, but I do have problems with the way his character was used.
Mar 23, 2022 11:51 PM

Jan 2021
AishaBi said:

> Made his personal connection aside for a greater good?

Mar 24, 2022 12:06 AM
Feb 2021
I ain't gonna read all that
just from the title YES
Mar 24, 2022 12:40 AM

Jul 2016
One of the things about this series is that none of the characters are in control for very long. Individual characters do not really get to decide the outcome of any situation. This is A deliberate Story telling choice.

With that being said, Armin is actually one of the more impactful characters. He figured out Annie's secret. His plan is the reason why the Survey Corps were able to capture Bertholt was captured. The save Eren from Libero plan as his.
Mar 24, 2022 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't agree with genocide: useless
Yeah yeah

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
KarinaraApr 1, 2022 5:28 AM
Mar 24, 2022 4:51 AM
Sep 2021
Not more useless than this fandom Forums
Mar 24, 2022 12:19 PM

Apr 2013
he is the big brain, so no.
Mar 24, 2022 1:03 PM
Jul 2021
sadpotatoh said:

I have this friend and we talk A LOT about AOT and usually give our opinions on the new episodes. Both of us finished the manga already and most of our opinions are similar but yesterday he said something that made me stop and question. Armin has been my favourite character since episode one, I’ve grown fan of other ones and even though he is NOT the character I relate to the most he’s still my favourite one. My friend just said he was useless, and when I tried to explain all the stuff that was figured it out because of him and how not just Erwin but also Hange and Levi end up putting their trust on him (his brains to be more exact) he still didn’t even change his mind a tiny bit. So now I’m questioning, do you think Armin is useless? And could you try to explain your reason please? Thank you :))

On the recent episodes I was thinking the same thing as your friend
Mar 24, 2022 1:24 PM
Aug 2021
sadpotatoh said:

I have also been a big fan of Armin since episode one and I think that he is an underrated character. I mean if he didn’t tell Hannes about Mikasa and Eren in episode one. They would have died. And many more things. I have watched a YouTube video “Why Armin is an amazing character”. You should definitely see it. It makes you understand him much more https://youtu.be/rNfdiVh7GrI
Mar 24, 2022 1:42 PM
Feb 2021
AliceK03 said:
sadpotatoh said:

I have also been a big fan of Armin since episode one and I think that he is an underrated character. I mean if he didn’t tell Hannes about Mikasa and Eren in episode one. They would have died. And many more things. I have watched a YouTube video “Why Armin is an amazing character”. You should definitely see it. It makes you understand him much more https://youtu.be/rNfdiVh7GrI
. thank you so much, I’ll definitely check it out :))
Mar 24, 2022 1:44 PM
Mar 2021
Well yes, but actually no
Mar 26, 2022 9:59 PM

Aug 2020
post timeskip he and mikasa have a collective iq of 40
Mar 25, 2023 10:08 PM
Jun 2022
JustMonaka said:
If you asked me between S1-3, I'd tell you to rewatch the show and pay even the slightest bit of attention.

If you ask me now, I hard agree that he's useless. He legit got the most powerful titan bar the founding and he does next to nothing with it.
It all comes down to what Kenny said. "Everyone had to be drunk on something to keep going." For Armin, after he saw the sea, he lost most of his motivation. This would also be the same issue with Erwin as Levi said. It's also cuz he doesn't like nuking places ofc.
Mar 27, 2023 5:24 PM
Sep 2019
Only if you're Battle Shounen addict. If you're a viewer who look for everything that makes a character and not pick and choose what characteristics appeals to you in each character, then No, he is far from useless.
Scythe97Mar 27, 2023 5:28 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 3, 2022

540 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 9, 2022

451 by BlueSnow93 »»
May 9, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 20, 2022

430 by phantom346 »»
Apr 18, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 13, 2022

416 by goral »»
Apr 14, 4:43 AM

» Falco said something in episode 1 of part 1 which I didn't get the reference of

_karan_123 - Feb 9, 2022

27 by manish_2 »»
Mar 28, 7:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.