Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2021 6:34 AM
Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this episode was a curious one. The flashbacks were nice and it's funny seeing Ryoma being all husband. Still I can see how she's his wife with the way she knocked out those guys briefly. The conflict is reminiscent of when Ryoma fought those thugs in the first manga.

That laser show was kickass. Watching the combination while all that was going on was a great scene. Still, we don't get much Arc action apart form Thunder Bomber and a sudden cutting up of the enemy.

Not sure if the lovey dovey part was in the manga though. I remember Takuma's mother thinking fondly of Ryoma, but not sure if it extended beyond her going all happy wife.

Hopefully we get more action next episode.
Jul 18, 2021 9:21 AM

May 2018
Now this is how you make cheep, trash but fun anime series.
Jul 18, 2021 10:14 AM
Dec 2014
It's not really trash. Just the 3D hurts it and Arc is the 2nd weakest Getter manga. The Getter manga was quite intense and violent for it's time.
GenesicKaiserJul 18, 2021 10:18 AM
Jul 18, 2021 12:04 PM

Jan 2016
I think that overall the little change they did by putting more into the wife's character was like, good, but man the animation quality dropped like a brick for this ep. I guess because it was super fight scene intensive and had a lot of integrated cgi.
Can't wait for next week's episode.
Jul 18, 2021 12:45 PM
Jul 2021
I really don't understand exactly what people mean when they say "it looks like trash" or "the budget went down this episode". A bunch of elements make it look obviously like a cheap niche production, but I'm not even sure if we're even thinking about the same parts. Is it the lack of motion in the 2D scenes? The CG is fine, obviously I'd prefer it if it was all drawn but it moves well & is delivered in an exciting way. It's as good as you can make it with this budget and production environment, hell in a bunch of ways I'd say it's more polished and tastefully drawn than early Jojo TV (which is also a super-cheap niche adaptation that just happened to result in the franchise becoming huge worldwide)

Good episode, the final money shot (there's multiple!) where the villain-of-the-week gets taken down could've been better because I LOVED the manga version (the final super-fast slash ironically looked more dynamic & "animated" in the manga) but everything else was very well directed and exciting. Dr. Shikishima's big attack & the Arc forming during it was wonderful.
tacticalfiendJul 18, 2021 12:50 PM
Jul 18, 2021 3:46 PM

Aug 2018
this episode was good and the flashback was nice and the fight scene was oh right 3 episodes in I enjoyed watching it
6 out of 10
Jul 20, 2021 8:03 PM

Nov 2012
Lost interest with each episode. The flashback was decent.
Jul 21, 2021 11:54 AM
Dec 2014
dragynfaerie said:

I don't blame you. This is the adaptation of the 5th Getter Robo manga. It's really more for those who are familiar with the manga as a whole.

It's harder for newcomers to get into when it relies on you having so much foreknowledge of what transpired beforehand.

It also doesn't help that the real juicy aspects of this story doesn't occur until around halfway in.
GenesicKaiserJul 21, 2021 12:15 PM
Jul 21, 2021 6:10 PM

Nov 2012
GenesicKaiser said:
dragynfaerie said:

I don't blame you. This is the adaptation of the 5th Getter Robo manga. It's really more for those who are familiar with the manga as a whole.

It's harder for newcomers to get into when it relies on you having so much foreknowledge of what transpired beforehand.

It also doesn't help that the real juicy aspects of this story doesn't occur until around halfway in.

really? I had not clue. That makes sense thought. No wonder I felt like I was outside looking in.
Jul 22, 2021 12:15 AM
Dec 2014
Yup. One, I recommend reading the manga: Getter Robo - Getter Robo G - Shin Getter/Getter Robo Go and finally Getter Arc (For better art). ]

There is also Getter Hien which is in between Go and Arc but is more a side story.

Also, Shin is chronologically before go but was release 5 years after Go. Both spoil each other so read whichever you want first. For me though, after reading Shin, it was harder to enjoy Go initially because Shin took the series to a new place from the beginning were as Go took it's time.

The flashbacks to Siberia 19 years with Shin Gettter launching are from Getter Go.

There is a manga after the series called Getter Robo Devolution also. However it's more a non-canon alternative universe than a true sequel because it was not written by the author.

As for why the author never wrote it, he died before Arc's manga could be complete. So a heads up, the anime may or may not be open ended. I do however say to stick with it as it does get good later
GenesicKaiserJul 22, 2021 12:34 AM
Jul 24, 2021 10:07 PM

Mar 2016
What the fuck am I watching.

I initially dove into this mid drug-binge... but now I'm literally having a crisis as to how intoxicated I was. To think I picked something so fucking bombastic, not only ill-emulated but literally looks like 'baby's first project'. I understand this series is a retreading of sorts back to the mid 1970's but Jesus it feels completely disassociated from attracting a new audience and simply exists for itself.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Jul 26, 2021 2:56 AM

Mar 2012
_Alysha_ said:

I initially dove into this mid drug-binge... but now I'm literally having a crisis as to how intoxicated I was. To think I picked something so fucking bombastic, not only ill-emulated but literally looks like 'baby's first project'. I understand this series is a retreading of sorts back to the mid 1970's but Jesus it feels completely disassociated from attracting a new audience and simply exists for itself.
it's not "retreading back to the 70s", it's an adaptation of a manga from the early 2000s which was a continuation/sequel to the other Getter mangas before it, and is considered a masterpiece in Japanese culture. In fact, Arc is one of the best Getter arcs, at least going by popular consensus. Getter has a very unique style and I can't imagine starting with Arc let alone thinking this is "baby's first project" when the only iffy thing here is animation quality
Jul 26, 2021 5:22 PM

Mar 2016
SparkleDuck said:
_Alysha_ said:

it's not "retreading back to the 70s", it's an adaptation of a manga from the early 2000s which was a continuation/sequel to the other Getter mangas before it, and is considered a masterpiece in Japanese culture. In fact, Arc is one of the best Getter arcs, at least going by popular consensus. Getter has a very unique style and I can't imagine starting with Arc let alone thinking this is "baby's first project" when the only iffy thing here is animation quality

Actually the whole show sucks, so.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Jul 26, 2021 9:58 PM

Mar 2012
_Alysha_ said:
SparkleDuck said:

Actually the whole show sucks, so.
You're watching the final arc to a classic and timeless manga story that you presumably never read and calling it trash because you hate the animation and, apparently, the story too, even though the weight of all events and character backstories and explanations for everything are reliant on you being versed in the franchise. Is that a better interpretation for you?
Jul 26, 2021 11:13 PM

Mar 2016
It's timeless alright, it only took 20 odd years to get a sequel and I can see why. I don't have to consume the full product to have a verdict on it. Manga and anime are two different mediums; the majority of the time they don't translate well to begin with. This show is too niche and it's pushing people away like the fans who get too fervent about their bias. Go figure.
Figures
Jul 27, 2021 3:36 AM
Feb 2021
_Alysha_ said:
It's timeless alright, it only took 20 odd years to get a sequel and I can see why. I don't have to consume the full product to have a verdict on it. Manga and anime are two different mediums; the majority of the time they don't translate well to begin with. This show is too niche and it's pushing people away like the fans who get too fervent about their bias. Go figure.

I am curious why do you think the show sucks? I agree it does a huge disservice to the manga since I know not everyone likes the 70s style and hope it gets the crybaby treatment next time, also if you for some reason want to continue watching the show see it less as a super robot show but as an eldritch horror mystery with giant robots, though I personally recommend giving the manga a shot its a lot shorter than it looks took me a bout two days to finish it.
Jun 9, 2022 4:56 PM

Mar 2013
The animation is nothing to write home about but I like the style and the fights. I'd rather watch this than the immense majority of battle shonens

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 13 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 26, 2021

7 by GenesicKaiser »»
Jun 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 4 Discussion

tacticalfiend - Aug 2, 2021

3 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 12 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 19, 2021

3 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 20, 2021 6:28 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 11 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 12, 2021

0 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 12, 2021 8:58 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 10 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 5, 2021

4 by phantomfandom »»
Sep 5, 2021 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.