Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2021 4:46 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
RWBY should be in the database. It has been distributed in a Japanese dub for the Japanese market. Licensed by Warner Bros and aired on AniMax according to several sources:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWBY#:~:text=RWBY%20(pronounced%20%22Ruby%22),Monty%20Oum%20for%20Rooster%20Teeth.&text=A%20Japanese%20dub%20of%20RWBY,and%20airs%20on%20Animax.
"A Japanese dub of RWBY is distributed in Japan by Warner Bros. and airs on Animax."

https://geekstronomy.com/?p=24783
"reated by the late Monty Oum (Red vs. Blue), RWBY is one of Rooster Teeth’s most beloved, viewed and shared series. As the first western-produced anime series to be distributed in Japan, RWBY episodes have averaged more than 7 million views, and the franchise has accumulated over 271 million views since its inception. To date, the series has sold nearly 670k units sold on DVD and Blu-ray, and registered consumer products sales in excess of $20 million. RWBY has a fervent fanbase in North America, the United Kingdom, Australia and Japan"

https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBY/comments/aa1m4b/any_news_with_the_rwby_japanese_distribution/
"With that being said, I have a theory as to what may be going on. The way RWBY has been distributed by Warner Bros Anime in Japan so far is that each volume gets a limited screening, then it gets released with a limited edition blu-ray set and a standard blu-ray and DVD set. What's worth noting are the weekly sales figures from Oricon charts:"

- - -
This is why Pingu in the City and My Little Pony are in the database, as well as Chinese and Korean (Elsword as an example) productions are present, because of localization.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 13, 2021 5:48 AM

May 2020
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101#msg6629291
1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
  • in Japan for the Japanese market;
  • in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
  • as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.

Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWBY
None of the production has been done in Japan/Korea/China nor has it been made for the japanese/korean/chinese market.

Lolsebca said:

This is why Pingu in the City and My Little Pony are in the database, as well as Chinese and Korean (Elsword as an example) productions are present, because of localization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu_in_the_City
Pingu in the city has clearly japanese staff and was first shown on NHK. (don't confuse Pingu with Pingu in the city) There is MLP only manga in the DB as far as I'm aware.
May 2, 2021 1:28 PM
Jan 2021
SuperWarior2012 said:
1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
  • in Japan for the Japanese market;
  • in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
  • as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.

Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

None of the production has been done in Japan/Korea/China nor has it been made for the japanese/korean/chinese market.

Lolsebca said:

Pingu in the city has clearly japanese staff and was first shown on NHK. (don't confuse Pingu with Pingu in the city) There is MLP only manga in the DB as far as I'm aware.

I think it's kind of silly to just consider made in Japan/Korea/China to be only legitimate anime.... that would be equivalent to saying that only Nissans/Toyota/Mazda/Honda are the only legitimate cars... that's just not true you have plenty other cars like Chevrolet/Lincoln/Buick/Audi/BMW/Porsche/Volkswagen/Ferrari/Fiat/Bentley/Jaguar/Aston Martin and so many more. To look at it from such a closed mindset is just making people who want to watch something they enjoy. Anime in Japanese is just short for animation. Plus just a side tangent... RWBY is made produces by Rooster Teeth Productions, LLC which in fact is an American company in Texas. Getting technical though... they are currently a subsidiary of Otter Media... you know... the people who own Crunchyroll and VRV.. The main people that let you watch anime in America legally and supporting the people who originally made the anime you cherish so much. Also this is just a tangent but the creator of RWBY was Monty Oum, and not that it should matter but he claimed his nationality was ".. Cambodian, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese! ..". The only thing is he was born in the US but it shouldn't matter where your born. All that matters is that he poured his heart into making this Anime before he died. So, I just don't understand how this isn't considered an Anime by your standards.
Brando-manMay 2, 2021 1:40 PM
May 2, 2021 1:43 PM

May 2020
Brando-man said:
SuperWarior2012 said:

I think it's kind of silly to just consider made in Japan/Korea/China to be only legitimate anime.... that would be equivalent to saying that only Nissans/Toyota/Mazda/Honda are the only legitimate cars... that's just not true you have plenty other cars like Chevrolet/Lincoln/Buick/Audi/BMW/Porsche/Volkswagen/Ferrari/Fiat/Bentley/Jaguar/Aston Martin and so many more. To look at it from such a closed mindset is just making people who want to watch something they enjoy. Anime in Japanese is just short for animation. Plus just a side tangent... RWBY is made produces by Rooster Teeth Productions, LLC which in fact is an American company in Texas. Getting technical though... they are currently a subsidiary of Otter Media... you know... the people who own Crunchyroll and VRV.. The main people that let you watch anime in America legally and supporting the people who originally made the anime you cherish so much. Also this is just a tangent but the creator of RWBY was Monty Oum, and not that it should matter but he claimed his nationality was ".. Cambodian, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese! ..". The only thing is he was born in the US but it shouldn't matter where your born. All that matters is that he poured his heart into making this Anime before he died. So, I just don't understand how this isn't considered an Anime by your standards.
I was only arguing why it shouldn't be allowed using the MAL's database guidelines and information about staff.

Having everything ruins the DB purpose.
May 2, 2021 2:54 PM
Jan 2021
SuperWarior2012 said:
I was only arguing why it shouldn't be allowed using the MAL's database guidelines and information about staff.

Having everything ruins the DB purpose.

I'm sorry but I'm lost... are you saying by decreasing inclusivity it somehow makes it better..... like the whole point of entertainment as a whole is to provide something that is entertaining... I don't know what you use this site for but I only use it as a log to myself of what I watched and how I felt it was. Occasionally as well to talk to others to see if they can provide me any insight on what I am in the mood for. I don't mean to come across as rude if I am appearing that way but I just think its incredibly close minded to not want a complete library that serves its purpose... to record what someone watched and how they felt about it. It wouldn't hurt anyone at all it would just become a large task to add all anime and I think any true lover of anime would be happy to work on helping others find what brings them happiness even if we might never want to see it. If it doesn't hurt anyone why should we say no to making sure people adequately are capable of finding content they want and recording it.

Okay so let me just counter with an argument you might have that in fact it would diminish the VALUE of "good" anime to include such "trash" that is merely an imitation of the original japan quality. To this there is several flaws in that logic. First, good anime is subjective based on the individual watching it. Second, if its about diminishing the value of anime by clumping them up with non-oriental animation, then you missed the point.. if anything is good enough to be considered great or a masterpiece no matter what new inventory u add will change its value in entertainment and story. Just making a point and let me preface it by saying I don't judge anyone who would watch it and im using this solely as a point of "value". So you have major animes like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, and hunter x hunter, right but you also have in the same database one of the most known anime "Boku no Pico", and I'm not saying this is a bad thing its just these are very different to say the least... but in the same database none the less and Boku no Pico is rated 4.32 out of 10 which is pretty low but if people are able to find enjoyment in it then who would I be to say they shouldn't be able to record that they've watched it and how they thought it was. The presents of Boku no Pico does not ruin the other anime in the database because each is their own separate entity. Finally, If you think anything made outside of their country of origin is trash then that's kind of a xenophobic, ethnocentric, and nationalist point of view.

The problem is.. its not my place to sit here and tell you that your opinions are wrong because I mean you're entitled to your own opinions and as long as you don't cause others harm I don't see any valid reason why you shouldn't be able to just watch the animations of your choice. The thing is though this should be a two way street in which it's not your place to tell me either and legitimately if you take the name of this site its My Anime List. Its just a place to rate and record how u felt about an anime and maybe not to all but to those who want it an encouraging place to experience other cultures and points of view.

I hope you understand that anime is about inclusivity, sharing culture, and providing enjoyment and no one should seek to rob that of anyone. I believe this whole website's purpose is to spread positivity and help those enjoy anime even more.

There shouldn't be anything that is completely void of entry if it calls itself anime because doing so wouldn't ruin the DataBase's purpose as you claim but failure to do so would ruin the purpose of anime which is to spread culture, enjoyment, and create inclusivity amongst people of all background; After all isn't it's whole purpose to bring people together. :)

So, I see no purpose in harboring any form of resentment toward having a site that freely allows you to do its goal of tracking all things anime. :P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

692 by SurgingSoulZX »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8707 by LeaderShrew »»
9 hours ago

» Will "Enter the Garden" make the cut and enter the db?

JB510 - Apr 15

7 by StateofOhayo »»
May 2, 12:30 PM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

51 by Phiacorn »»
May 1, 6:10 PM

» "Jantama" 5-shuunen Kinen Movie "Kawaranai Mono"

AM_the_Qou - Apr 30

0 by AM_the_Qou »»
Apr 30, 11:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.