Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Nov 2012
What happens when you put one good Japanese guy in a hospital full will corrupted nazi's. This can actually be as good as everyone say it is. BTW fuck the German's hope the little boy survives but i sense a lot of bad endings cumming up in this anime.
Mar 10, 2013 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Nice opening theme
Apr 25, 2013 12:18 AM

Jan 2013
Starting the long long 74 episode journey through this anime.
Gosh, other than Naruto it's the longest anime I'm going to make it all the way through.

Nice start too.
Apr 25, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2012
Very good start for this series, doctor just saved a Monster. He should listen to his sister and let him die. Future would be saved. Next time we will watch his fall.

Well, life is life and this series is synonymum for angst.
Jun 30, 2013 6:08 PM

Jan 2013
This first episode has really piqued my interest. Themes of life and death and equality are already being established and you can already feel that Dr. Tenma will break at some point. My one hope is that the story doesn't drag since it's 74 episodes but I'm keeping an open mind.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 24, 2013 6:18 PM

Apr 2012
I'm sure the series is quite good, but that was a terrible premiere. Morality is shoved at our faces with zero subtlety and common sense. The characters are blatantly one-sided (either indicated by the insipid writing or phallic caricatures in their noses). And apparently, every doctor in the hospital is incompetent save for Tenma. Production values are a plus at least, with splendid eerie scores.
Aug 16, 2013 6:12 AM
May 2012
Looks like this is going to be one hell of a ride oh yeah!!

If I was Dr.Tenma I'd save the boy too but little did he know that the boy was a one crazy dude and also he should leave the Director and his daughter.

The art fits the atmosphere and the story is interesting I hope this will stay good.

The ending song is nice.
Sep 2, 2013 10:43 PM

Jul 2009
amazing episode :D

Kiuchi, Hidenobu as Tenma!!

definitely one of my favorite voice actors ever(Hei from Darker Than Black)

Koyama, Mami as Eva!!

she really sounds like Balalaika from Black Lagoon :P

good start, i love the atmosphere and this actually takes place in Germany.

i have been meaning to watch this for a long time now, guess this is the right time now :)

it's a shame people that have power comes first rather than those who are in need.

then again that's the reality of most hospitals unfortunately.

really enjoyed the episode, i don't know what Monster is, haven't watch the trailers and this is basically a fresh start with no influence watsoever.

i expect good things from the upcoming episodes!!
Sep 27, 2013 9:59 AM

Oct 2010
Finally started this. I'd say, it's a very intense experience. I am surprised at the amount of narration that could be compressed in 21 minutes.

On nil's post, although I guess I'm coming late.

nil- said:
I'm sure the series is quite good, but that was a terrible premiere. Morality is shoved at our faces with zero subtlety and common sense.

I would agree with that, my only issue with the episode was on the phrases that the director said, specially that one about the work of a doctor. However the episode has more for it. The little girl's post-traumatic shock and her "kill him" was very interesting and adds a bit of suspense that I hope will get developed. And there's some malice in the look and expression of Tenma's girlfriend that I at least found interesting, regardless of her discourse.

Also, take into account that this is a first episode. It may probably require defining the moral situation of the main character in a clearer way than the following (haven't watched the rest and so far this is an assumption, though).

nil- said:
The characters are blatantly one-sided (either indicated by the insipid writing or phallic caricatures in their noses).

Well, Tenma loves his girlfriend. I think that alone makes the situation not as one-sided as it may look.

nil- said:
And apparently, every doctor in the hospital is incompetent save for Tenma.

So far, only Dr. Becker, whose incompetence is outshined in several ways. Tenma is just the best of them.
Nov 18, 2013 9:38 PM

Sep 2011
Great start!
Jan 5, 2014 12:44 PM

Mar 2013
Decided to watch this on college recess, not disappointed so far. man, that ending creeps me out
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 27, 2014 4:58 PM

May 2013
Good first episode.

I liked how the moral dilemma was wrtten in this episode.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Feb 1, 2014 4:14 PM

Jan 2014
Finally started this. Seems promising

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Mar 2, 2014 5:28 AM

Jun 2010
Seems formulaic, but at least it's unlike the one with a handydandy plot device.
"Deep."
Apr 26, 2014 8:08 PM

Dec 2012
I can't believe I wrote this off once because of the art, I'm really enjoying it so far. The atmosphere and build up are very well done and this is yet another widely celebrated title that the time has finally come for me to see for myself. That little girl though...I'm just expecting her to say "please kill that boy" at some point.
May 14, 2014 4:06 PM

Feb 2013
This is hilarious! I never thought I would see my hometown düsseldorf in an anime of all places :D. I was legitimately shocked, when they showed the skyline after the first scene, thinking it couldnt be true... until they confirmed it in the caption. They got everything right, down to the lambertus church and the colour pattern and form of the trams :D.
MrPrinceSanjiMay 15, 2014 12:52 AM
May 15, 2014 12:45 AM

Apr 2012
Finally got the chance to marathon this. Great first episode.

Jun 1, 2014 11:58 PM

Feb 2012
glad i finally got around to checking this out, looks promising. although the director is repulsive and i have a feeling i'll often be angry while watching this.
Jun 8, 2014 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
I've got a question... Why does this episode seem like a preview of all the other episodes?? I'm almost at the end of it, but it feels like a summary of a very long series because it has purposefully missed out a lot of details and how or why things have happened...

Please tell me the other episodes aren't like this... I want more in depth experience and exploration of characters, not just a highlight of the most important parts lol

*oH snap I knew that it wasn't a normal episode... I think I was watching a summary indeed!!! What the hell >< I'm so sad now that I have been tainted by spoilers.... I HATE THE WORLD lol* Anyways, be right back, going to find the REAL Episode ONE now...*
cairobabyJun 8, 2014 11:18 AM
Jul 11, 2014 11:18 AM
Jul 2014
Finally started this after holding it so long. Looks promising, great first episode. I'm glad the doctor decided to operate on the boy. But I'm suspecting the boy has something to do with the murders. I mean, his twin sister is saying," Please kill".
Aug 1, 2014 11:25 PM

Aug 2013
Only the first episode but I'm already raging. I hope the director dies soon. What a horrible person. Same goes for the daughter too.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 21, 2014 5:10 AM

Jul 2013
nice episode. i could feel the tension between the doctors and the atmosphere, it feels eerie. Oh, and the ending is creepy too.
Aug 29, 2014 1:04 PM

Aug 2012
A good adaptation. I'd say it's more enjoyable than the manga.
Sep 1, 2014 7:43 AM

Jul 2013
Interesting show so far
Sep 14, 2014 4:39 PM

Sep 2013
H-h... holy shit. That was one of the strongest first episodes I've ever seen.
Sep 14, 2014 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
Antichrist references right out of the bag, eh?

The director's daughter is a snake. It doesn't take much dialogue to show you who someone is. Pride and greed are the main things I'm detecting. It stinks, and those are usually the root of other major problems. Her father seems like a very controlling sort of person, which is another yellow flag.

I can't say Tenma was wrong to decide to save the child. Contrary to what the director's daughter said, Tenma is responsible for his choices. Acting on his conscience like this gives me a more favorable view of him. That's not to say there won't be consequences, though, since society snubs its nose at such things often.

The setting is interesting. We're in the free side of post-World War II Germany. I'm somewhat hopeful that said setting will have noticeable influences on the plot. It's a very different sort of world than what most are familiar with.

I've heard a lot of good things about this show, but I intend on maintaining neutral expectations for now. Given the premise and this first episode, it certainly has potential.
Oct 7, 2014 4:36 AM

Dec 2013
xchee said:
Only the first episode but I'm already raging. I hope the director dies soon. What a horrible person. Same goes for the daughter too.
I can't agree anymore. I've never seen uglier people than those two. Hopefully they get put down soon. I simply can't stand them.
Oct 7, 2014 7:10 PM

Jun 2013
Ive heard so many great things about this anime so even though i tend to stay away from anime over 30 episodes long, im gonna give this one a chance :) Loved the first episode!
Nov 1, 2014 11:30 PM

Dec 2012
Decided to give this anime a go and damn I'm glad I did~ Pretty fantastic first episode!
Dec 11, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2014
FrostbyteDOT said:
H-h... holy shit. That was one of the strongest first episodes I've ever seen.

I was gonna say exactly this. I hope the rest of the episodes are as intense.
Jan 5, 2015 10:09 PM

Jan 2015
I really like this episode. I'm used to watching more sci-fi anime like Attack on Titan, so the reality of this anime stunned me. It was really well done though. The bias-ism that goes on politically is expected but just so wrong in my opinion. This looks like it's going to be an incredible story. I can't wait to continue watching it. The doctor made the right decision. Also, I feel bad for that little girl. she'll be scarred for life.
Jan 15, 2015 9:13 AM

May 2013
3/5

Good intro, I hope that I'll watch a great anime.

:-)
Jan 16, 2015 1:31 AM

Nov 2013
I've been hesitant to watch this due to it being so fucking long but this was a good first episode!

The music during that scene with the dead bodies was fucking horrifying.

Looks like Tenma is going to let the mayor die to save Johan. Who knows what consequences he might face?

Tenma's fiancee is such a bitch. "Lives are not equal" my ass!

I'm wondering if the twin sister saying "Kill him" was some sort of foreshadowing? Guess we will see!

8/10 Perhaps I will finally be able to fill up my 5th favorite slot?
FunnyRatmanJan 16, 2015 1:35 AM

Jan 31, 2015 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
Urasawa in anime form, i've been looking forward to this for a very long time and what a fantastic start it is, i listened to the OP like 10 times before i even started the ep to raise hype levels to obscene rates and it still managed to deliver.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 8, 2015 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
This is quite unusual. I hope this anime has a good plot/story
Mar 4, 2015 6:10 PM

Aug 2014
I've put this off for a long very long time and finally taking the plunge. Extremely solid first episode.
Mar 27, 2015 5:43 AM
Nov 2014
Good first ep.

I feel bad for Tenma, having to make decisions like that. Damn director :P

I loved the OP, very fitting and symbolic for this type of show.
Mar 27, 2015 5:45 AM

Jul 2013
BruceLad said:
Good first ep.

I feel bad for Tenma, having to make decisions like that. Damn director :P

I loved the OP, very fitting and symbolic for this type of show.

after like 30 eps u won't love the opening so much lol
Apr 4, 2015 9:30 PM

Jul 2013
Solid start.

Creepy sister. Guess Tenma's choice will come bite his ass of course.
Interesting themes, looks nice. Great atmosphere.
Apr 17, 2015 4:40 PM

Feb 2015
Good first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2015 11:16 PM

May 2012
see? this is how to make an anime lol, great start, been wanting to watch this for awhile now, finally got around to it. the directors a cunt :p very curious to see where this goes
Jun 12, 2015 10:01 AM
Jun 2014
This was a very good episode for me, 5/5. That ending gave me the creeps..
Jun 18, 2015 6:57 AM

Jul 2014
Fantastic first episode. I can already tell I am going to love this series.

5/5
Jun 22, 2015 12:10 PM

Nov 2012
Read the manga first so already know what's going to go down.

This is gonna be one hell of a ride.
Jun 27, 2015 10:49 AM

Apr 2012
The fiancee is psychotic, I can understand how someone gets involved with horrible in-laws unintentionally (and the director is certainly horrible) but how does a seemingly nice, normal guy like Tenma shack up with someone like her?!

That aside though this seems really great, I've been meaning to watch it for a long time now and the setup hasn't disappointed in this first episode.
Aug 6, 2015 8:17 PM

Dec 2013
Phenomenal first episode. Already loving Tenma as a character. Damn the director and his daughter pisses me off! Glad Tenma went back at the end. Hyped to see where this goes.
Aug 17, 2015 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
Oh God I'm doing this. 74 episodes of Monster!

Quite good first episode, nothing extraordinary to say...
What if the boy killed his own family and then shot himself in front of his siter? I think that's what happened.
Sep 30, 2015 4:41 PM
Feb 2015
Damn. Isn't that kid that he saved like the villain of this anime?
Feb 28, 2016 3:03 PM

Mar 2011
Yeah the time has come to watch this anime...

Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite…
A lie will remain a lie.

Mar 5, 2016 4:44 AM

Dec 2015
For me, this was a disappointing first episode. It feels like only Tenma is being portrayed as a real character. Everybody else just exists to admire or use him. Tenma's like "This operation is going to be tricky" and everybody around him goes like "Oh my god, Tenma is right! Tenma is a genius."
I hope it gets better.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

158 by wallus81 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

138 by wallus81 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Apr 26, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.