Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think about the act of narrowing one's eyes?

New
Aug 13, 2020 1:06 AM

Nov 2013
It's usually done in anime, for example, as a sign to show that a character 'grasped' or is suspecting something, but I've seen people doing that in real life as well, which doesn't make much sense to me. What do you think about those who do it when they are talking to other people? Isn't it a very rude thing to do? I mean, they can't possibly be doing it reflexively, unless it's because of the light of the sun, for example, so they are deliberately forcing the muscles of their faces in order to narrow their eyes for whatever reason, which is certainly not something normal, since naturally people grasp and suspect things internally, and it's not like narrowing one's eyes will help them to understand better what someone else is saying, as I've also noticed that another situation in which people narrow their eyes is when they are having difficulty to understand what the speaker is saying, which is represented by a continuous narrowing of the eyes, whereas many times, though not necessarily, when they seem to have grasped something the act of narrowing is just done in an instant.
My guess is just that the people who do it are just being "chuunibyous" and showing expressions that they saw smart characters in fiction making in order to somehow feel like they are being badass smart detectives as well, or are deliberately narrowing their eyes as a sign of suspicion towards the person to whom they are talking in order to offend.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Aug 13, 2020 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
It's just weird, like I used to do that before I got my glasses so I just think they're trying to look at something.
Aug 13, 2020 1:30 AM

Jul 2016
For me, narrowing my eyes means I'm scrutinising the person I am talking to, or rather what they are saying. I can't see how narrowing one's eyes can show their understanding, it's usually taken as a sign of confusion.
"It is clear to me now that,
owing to my unbounded vanity and to the high standard I set for myself,
I often looked at myself with furious discontent,
which verged on loathing,
and so I inwardly attributed the same feeling to everyone."

Aug 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Nov 2013
ClosetPervert said:
For me, narrowing my eyes means I'm scrutinising the person I am talking to, or rather what they are saying. I can't see how narrowing one's eyes can show their understanding, it's usually taken as a sign of confusion.

Yes, but you may be scrutinizing the person you're talking to precisely because you grasped some kind of incongruity in his speech, or at least believe that you did so, which makes you want to show a sign of confusion concerning the incongruity that you seem to have noticed.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Aug 13, 2020 1:59 AM

Mar 2018
Mine are narrowed all the time for my face reflects my thoughts, the thoughts of disgust.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 13, 2020 2:14 AM

Jul 2016
Mummykun said:
ClosetPervert said:

Yes, but you may be scrutinizing the person you're talking to precisely because you grasped some kind of incongruity in his speech, or at least believe that you did so, which makes you want to show a sign of confusion concerning the incongruity that you seem to have noticed.

That is valid, though for me personally, I don't give exaggerated expressions to small stuff like that. Usually it's that they said something completely stupid or incoherent, and that instead of letting them finish their speech, I furrow my eyebrows and narrow my eyes to show my confusion without outright interrupting.
"It is clear to me now that,
owing to my unbounded vanity and to the high standard I set for myself,
I often looked at myself with furious discontent,
which verged on loathing,
and so I inwardly attributed the same feeling to everyone."

Aug 13, 2020 2:25 AM

Jul 2015
Wow incredible people have a body language and are not robots. How rude of them.
Aug 13, 2020 2:36 AM

Jul 2016
i do the "narrowing" when someone is saying things that makes no sense

my face is certainly exaggerated when im hanging out with people im comfortable with but i try to keep my face neutral if im talking to strangers or people i dont know much about

why does it bother u tho? people aren't robots lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2020 4:37 AM

Jun 2019
Non verbal stuff is a reflex to what you say or you hear, people do not think about doing it and do not control it unless they had some training, like actors. Some people are more expressive and show more, others less but all do.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Aug 13, 2020 8:47 AM
Jul 2018
My eyes narrow when I'm sleepy. They even close sometimes.
Aug 13, 2020 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
I narrow my eyes when there's some change or trend in the graph/numbers I am doing at work. Other than that I don't think I do it for other reasons.

Also, just wanna drop this here:

Aug 13, 2020 9:36 AM

Aug 2014
Mummykun said:
[...] or are deliberately narrowing their eyes as a sign of suspicion towards the person to whom they are talking in order to offend.

Yep. This. It's an effective way to troll people in real life, even without saying anything.

More topics from this board

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

19 by Spunkert »»
2 seconds ago

» 🚩 Red Flag, Beige Flag, Green Flag survey

kusairo - Apr 5

44 by Zedlin »»
4 minutes ago

» Are you Caucasian???? I am btw...

DesuMaiden - Apr 29

47 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» FAvorite philosopher and Why ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

108 by cody »»
10 minutes ago

» what are your top 3 media and does it have any anime in it ?

ame - Apr 30

16 by LoveLikeBlood »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.