Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2008 7:50 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
How lucky for Shu, that the pendent was right on the sewer (or whatever that place was) he was in =P
I wasn't surprised that Nabuca didn't go with them, but I'm sure he'll be a key, in helping them defeat Hamdo, or something similar =P
Aug 18, 2008 9:28 PM

Dec 2007
I'm watching this on Sci-fi and thought it was very ironic that it was being sponsored by the US Navy.

#NBHNC
Aug 18, 2008 10:32 PM

Dec 2007
PeanutSteak said:
I'm watching this on Sci-fi and thought it was very ironic that it was being sponsored by the US Navy.

Wow....I thought the same damn thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2008 10:55 PM

Dec 2007
CCZilla said:
PeanutSteak said:

Well atleast now i know i wasnt the only one
Dec 9, 2010 5:30 PM

Aug 2010
DemonTetsuo said:
CCZilla said:
PeanutSteak said:

DemonTetsuo said:
CCZilla said:
PeanutSteak said:

Bummer, dubs suck.
Feb 28, 2011 12:22 AM

Jul 2007
Thillygooth said:
DemonTetsuo said:
CCZilla said:
PeanutSteak said:

DemonTetsuo said:
CCZilla said:
PeanutSteak said:

Bummer, dubs suck.

I think the dubs are pretty good actually.

Shu finally excapes. Nabuca let him leave alive. Hopefully shu and sara will meet up with each other at some point. this show is really starting to grab my attention and i can tell certain things have only been just unveiled.

May 11, 2011 12:32 AM

Apr 2009
I can't learn why Abelia is so loyal to King Hamdo because there has to be a reason why she would continue to work for such a deranged lunatic.
Sep 7, 2011 12:44 AM

Aug 2010
MiraiLink said:
I can't learn why Abelia is so loyal to King Hamdo because there has to be a reason why she would continue to work for such a deranged lunatic.

I keep wondering the same thing...

Its nice to see Shu at least slightly winning over some of the other soldiers, too. Nabuca and Boo win.
Dec 16, 2011 3:25 AM

Oct 2009
Not enough Sara, hope she's alive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 5:00 PM

Jun 2009
Didn't find this episode quite as gripping as the others, though I did find the scene at the end between Nabuka and Shu to be good stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2013 6:49 AM

May 2012
Woh Shu's lucky, finding the pendant without looking for it :D nice episode the ending was quite nice... it's good that they finally escaped together, but this episode lacks Sara, maybe they'll find her somewhere in the next episode?
May 20, 2013 4:43 PM
Aug 2011
Well they escaped but there's still 6 episodes.
That crazy bastard will surely be looking for them, what a party pooper.

Need to mention that I was surprised that the little guy helped Shu.
Jun 21, 2013 2:19 PM

Jul 2011
NOBUCA STABBED BOO. WHAT.

On the other hand, nice that they got away... It seems to be rather easy to escape? I mean, for a base that claims no one escapes.
Jul 15, 2013 4:21 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The scene between Nabuca and Shu was pretty powerful.

I loved Hamza's face of frustration at seeing La La Ru with Shu. I bet he'll go insane with NTR rage the next couple of episodes going after them.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 23, 2013 10:19 PM

Jun 2013
They escaped. When Shu found the pendent he acts as if he picked up a hat that literally just fell off your head (no expression whatsoever). Too bad Nabuca didn't go with them, but I was expecting that.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Sep 9, 2013 1:28 AM

Sep 2012
Wait a sec.

Wasn't he shot in the leg? How the hell did he manage to climb up that entire structure?

I think that's my biggest problem with this series. He keeps getting tortured, battered, beaten, abused, shot, and otherwise severely physically damaged, but then like 4 seconds later, he's up on his feet perfectly ok, in optimum mental and physical condition. That's just not.. humanly possible.

He's far too resilient. And happy. How old is he? Like, 10? Any normal person would have had their spirit broken on like day 1. It's hard for me to take it seriously when he's constantly grinning and shouting. I hate to say it, but I really enjoy the show better when Shu is showing signs of despair and helplessness. Like that short time he was sobbing after being tortured. It just makes it more believable. If the show really wants me to feel sorry for these characters, they should be acting like actual human beings. I guess that's why I liked Sara a lot. She felt more realistic. And I really like Nobuca too. All his hesitation, frustration, inner-torment. I can just see him breaking down, and it will be really satisfying when he finally does.

And I really don't understand why Shu's so obsessed with saving Lala-ru. He barely even spoke to her. He met her for like, five seconds, before he was literally put through hell. It would make more sense if he resented her.

I hope Sara comes back. Her story is interesting, and I'll be disappointed if they just leave it at her just disappearing into the desert. And did Nobuca stab Boo? Or did he just push him? I didn't quite get that scene.

I can't wait to see Hamza bite it. Holy shit, he pisses me off. I hope either Abelia or Nobuca does it.

Otherwise, I find this show very well done. The subtle symbolism, the soundtrack, dialogue. It's all heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Depressingly amazing.
Red_KeysSep 9, 2013 1:35 AM
Nov 26, 2013 6:58 AM

Nov 2009
So now there will be more to it then just that fortress? Looking forward to that since wanted to see what type of world they were in.

Also, did anyone else go "Ah, what waste" when they saw all that water pouring out of the fortress . . . So much water, too bad they couldn't get it all, although since I am just waiting for the fortress to fall I guess I wouldn't actually want them to benefit from that.
Jul 2, 2014 11:21 PM

Jan 2014
Abelia and Nabuca grabbed the most of
my attention. n___n Their characters are
so complexly developed, I'm amazed :D
Plus, I kinda feel sorry for both of them,
because they actually are good people...
Nov 28, 2014 1:52 AM
Nov 2013
Amazing episode. I don't mind if this is actually the last episode. Given the number of upsetting endings I've come across lately I am actually pondering on just stopping here and taking this as the end. Amazing
Apr 9, 2017 4:08 AM

Dec 2010
She got shot so many times so far it's very surprising how mobile he still is.
Nov 1, 2017 9:18 AM
Nov 2015
The pre-op was pretty disturbing, how they jumbled different voices and scenes.
Nov 1, 2017 9:26 AM
Nov 2015
It's all a plot to have him find that pendant, putting him in the cell. WHAT A CONSPIRACY!
Nov 1, 2017 9:55 AM
Nov 2015
This episode is good, but is also the hugest swarm of annoying characters and moments. You really cannot beat Hando x Shu x the brat who always crosses Nabucca

Gosh, the mere voice of Shu and Hamdo's seiyuu is enough to drive me nuts. Which is such a pity, as it moderates the fact that this show uses silences to escalate tension so brilliantly. So, therefore, instead of making the MC saying Lalalu 3 times in a row, they could make him shut up. Plus, how the hell could he run after getting shot to the leg, with all the garbage, what about infection.

The best part, the glowing rose garden reminds me of the Utena movie, though they wasted the chance to animate the flying petals when the glass ceiling broke.
Sean_NessmanNov 1, 2017 10:18 AM
Dec 3, 2017 11:42 PM

Dec 2016
Boo you're the real mvp kid!

Man I wish Nabuca left with them but I feel like he feels he has done so much and has become such a monster (not really) that he can't possibly leave now? but idk we'll have to see, I have a feeling Boo may somehow convince him to change a little later down the line
TheFreycookDec 3, 2017 11:48 PM
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 18, 2019 8:33 PM

Oct 2013
Nabuca is cementing himself as a favorite character of mine. I anticipate a tragedy for him.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 10, 2019 7:25 PM

Jun 2019
Damn... what an episode! This might be the best one yet, way better than the last episode.

Shuu really goes through the ringer, but he always seems to come out okay. Dude's definitely a bit of a Gary Stu. It's ridiculous luck the pendant ended up in his cell. I though at first the water was from Lala-Ru, but I freaked out and practically jumped up from my seat when I saw the pendant.

Damn, it was so satisfying when Shuu conked that Tabool fucker on his head. The escape scene was really well directed.

It seems like Boo's starting to realize just how fucked up his world is. I think Nabuca still has a ways to go before he sees the truth though.

The scene where Shuu saved Lala-Ru was also pretty cool, and we got to see her actually do something. She straight up flushed Hellywood! And she really stared down the king as well.

The scene where Shuu asked Nabuca to join him was really tense, I was on the edge of my seat. It's a shame he didn't accept, but at least he wasn't a total dick and decided to let them go.

I will admit, I was getting kinda bored of Hellywood. So I'm excited to see what the rest of the world looks like. That creature from the cell earlier in the episode looked like a mutated rat, I wonder if this world is full of Fallout-esqe monsters.

The music in this episode really reminds me of Elfen Lied, in fact pretty much everything in this series is strikingly similar. I wonder if this show was an inspiration for Elfen Lied?
Jan 18, 2020 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
this show has been growing on me and this was my favorite episode so far. i don't think that now and then is bad by any means, but it definitely took until the last couple of episodes for me to really be engaged. i didn't really like shuu during the first half, but after the past couple of episodes, i'm starting to see his attitude as less annoying and more endearing. it's kind of nice to see a deconstruction protagonist who midway through the series has consistently maintained a hopeful outlook. i guess we'll see how long that lasts though lmao

i think my favorite two scenes now are either when shuu asked nabuca to come with him or the cold open where sara murders a guard and escapes. i really appreciate how often this director allows for long pauses and quiet, still moments. it really sucks me into the scene and adds a lot of weight to serious moments.

kinda disappionted that nabuca didn't want to go with them, but i respect the decision and am excited to see what happens with his character.
Mar 13, 2020 3:39 AM

May 2017
incredible slow pace slide show. I just wanna be done with this anime. The themes and the morals of the show are interesting but everything else just falls incredibly flat.
Aug 15, 2020 10:38 AM

Aug 2017
The flood was shown washing away Sara's first rapist for a moment

This episode had many good still shots with intense music, reminded me of Evangelion (the shot composition was great as always, and also resemblant of the better works of animation; same for colors and shading). That scene with roses reminded me of Utena.

Wasn't he shot in the leg? How the hell did he manage to climb up that entire structure?

I think the shot only scratched his leg enough to throw him off balance. And we don't know how much time passed since they returned, maybe it was enough for the wound to heal. Or maybe I'm just apologizing for a minor inconsistency.
St0rmbladeAug 15, 2020 10:47 AM
Jul 9, 2021 3:37 PM
May 2012
Red_Keys said:
Wait a sec.

I think that's my biggest problem with this series. He keeps getting tortured, battered, beaten, abused, shot, and otherwise severely physically damaged, but then like 4 seconds later, he's up on his feet perfectly ok, in optimum mental and physical condition. That's just not.. humanly possible.

He's far too resilient. And happy. How old is he? Like, 10? Any normal person would have had their spirit broken on like day 1. It's hard for me to take it seriously when he's constantly grinning and shouting. I hate to say it, but I really enjoy the show better when Shu is showing signs of despair and helplessness. Like that short time he was sobbing after being tortured. It just makes it more believable. If the show really wants me to feel sorry for these characters, they should be acting like actual human beings. I guess that's why I liked Sara a lot. She felt more realistic. And I really like Nobuca too. All his hesitation, frustration, inner-torment. I can just see him breaking down, and it will be really satisfying when he finally does.

And I really don't understand why Shu's so obsessed with saving Lala-ru. He barely even spoke to her. He met her for like, five seconds, before he was literally put through hell. It would make more sense if he resented her.

I hope Sara comes back. Her story is interesting, and I'll be disappointed if they just leave it at her just disappearing into the desert. And did Nobuca stab Boo? Or did he just push him? I didn't quite get that scene.

I can't wait to see Hamza bite it. Holy shit, he pisses me off. I hope either Abelia or Nobuca does it.

Otherwise, I find this show very well done. The subtle symbolism, the soundtrack, dialogue. It's all heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Depressingly amazing.

I agree. I normally hate characters like him, but he's got charm at least.
Jun 21, 2023 5:29 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The entire episode was pretty grand in my opinion. I wasn’t sure what the result would be once Shuu reached her. And I can’t help but feel a little panicked when she said “what are you doing here?” Like did Shuu just imagine she said “help me” cause he wanted to be relied on and needed so badly.

The flower room in general was a great setting and the entire ship tower being flooded was cool.

Nabuca not leaving has me wondering what his end will be. Really any of the characters at this point. They probably can’t go back to Earth so what’s our options.

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.