Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2008 11:45 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I find it wierd that Abelia just put Shu in the army (they could have put left him locked up, or doing other kinds of jobs).
Also, that Tabool reminds of some other anime character, but I can't remember who =P
Pretty good episode btw. I'm starting to enjoy this anime :D
Aug 19, 2009 4:41 AM

Mar 2008
I guess they're just short on soldiers?
ArcanusAug 20, 2009 2:31 AM
Oct 6, 2009 6:06 PM

Feb 2009
The main characters heroics and morals are really annoying me. At this point I wouldn't mind if he gets killed.
Jan 17, 2010 5:34 PM

Jan 2009
Kayro said:

Also, that Tabool reminds of some other anime character, but I can't remember who =P

He reminds me of Rock from Metropolis
Jan 25, 2010 7:31 AM

Sep 2009
StabWound said:
The main characters heroics and morals are really annoying me. At this point I wouldn't mind if he gets killed.

I second this. I hate all protagonists who are like that.
Jan 10, 2011 4:20 AM

Dec 2010
I dunno, I think it lends the series a sliver of hope amongst all the devastation, the idea that oppression dosn't conquer all etc. Although I can't see him surviving much longer with that attitude around the superiors :-/
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Sep 5, 2011 2:08 AM

Aug 2010
I also find the protagonist to be annoying and "recruiting" him was pushing it a bit, but it's still acceptable. The atmosphere is finally rubbing off, I actually feel sorry for Nabuca. 4/5.
Dec 15, 2011 6:15 PM

Oct 2009
I'm only watching this because I'm mad that Sara was raped. FFFF!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2012 3:39 PM

Jun 2009
teasaveslives said:
I dunno, I think it lends the series a sliver of hope amongst all the devastation, the idea that oppression dosn't conquer all etc. Although I can't see him surviving much longer with that attitude around the superiors :-/

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what the director intended. I can see how it could annoy people, though as it very much contrasts with the overall feel of the show. But, it's important to note that Shu's relatively "easy" life is also a stark contrast to others around him simply because he didn't grow up in a world (or rather country) where he is forced into war and all the horrors it entails. So, it goes without saying there's a clash there.

I'm finding how different Shu is from, say, Nakajima Youko from Twelve Kingdoms (a character put in a somewhat similar situation) to be interesting given how different their respective backgrounds resulted in their actions in these situations.

Edit: My favorite scene of the episode was the soldier trying to give a terrified Sara her handkerchief back showing that, yes, these people are capable of kindness as well and can be decent people. Of course, for all we know, he could have very well been one of the people who raped her and felt guilty about. That scene could have literally meant ANYTHING....which is really kind of awesome to me.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 10, 2012 3:43 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 10, 2012 4:21 PM

Jul 2007
insan3soldiern said:
teasaveslives said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what the director intended. I can see how it could annoy people, though as it very much contrasts with the overall feel of the show. But, it's important to note that Shu's relatively "easy" life is also a stark contrast to others around him simply because he didn't grow up in a world (or rather country) where he is forced into war and all the horrors it entails. So, it goes without saying there's a clash there.

I'm finding how different Shu is from, say, Nakajima Youko from Twelve Kingdoms (a character put in a somewhat similar situation) to be interesting given how different their respective backgrounds resulted in their actions in these situations.

Edit: My favorite scene of the episode was the soldier trying to give a terrified Sara her handkerchief back showing that, yes, these people are capable of kindness as well and can be decent people. Of course, for all we know, he could have very well been one of the people who raped her and felt guilty about. That scene could have literally meant ANYTHING....which is really kind of awesome to me.

I was really waiting for someone to quote this. Isane is exactly right, the director did not intend to showcase a character right from the beginning of the series have an instant transformation, when, the world he came from was so much different and his life very easy going as you said. The nature of this show was to really showcase the harshness of the reality that shu stumbled upon and i think the directory captured that moment. Shu will eventually find ouit what "right" and wrong" and act upon it. But you have to remember this series is directing something that is more along the lines of something realistic if it happened to you. Now i know alot of anime depict such action heroes protagonist's.

But this series is much different, the way it was directed first is to show what these children have to go through to survive the hellish world and shu is in the same predicament, their will come a time where things will change. This fortress is build though to where you can't expect shu to just player hero and suddenly take control of a massive fortress, when Hambo has like 1000's of guards that obey him.

You have to think along the lines of "reality" if you were forced into this type of situation, what would you do, how you will you feel, yes you would be angry watching all of these children being turned into slaves and yes you would be angry watching sara being brutally raped and almost murdered. Of course these thoughts would go through your head and either revenge or "escaping" would be on your mind. Depends on what kind of person you are and how much you care for others. But shu has realize the horror that he has stumbled onto and he has learn to live with people in order to survive. One of the prominent themes portrayed in this show i think is survivability "Flight or fight". I am sure some one else can explain it better then i can but i gave it my best.

12 kingdoms is a good comparison because youko was in the same type of situation, but the only difference is, she had an escape route, she was not completely backed in a corner, sure she came to a world that she didn't know nothing bout but she also people that were helping her. Shu has none of them right now, he is in a world where everyone despises him AND he's being forced into a situation he does not approve. He beliefs that all good can come out of something and he is a very strong willed character. Just keep watching the show and watch how things gradually progress. Pay attention to Nabuca, he's one of favorite characters.

Jan 19, 2013 5:10 AM

May 2012
That sure escalated quickly from prisoner to soldier... but still poor Sara :/
Great episode I wonder what's next in the development of the story!
May 6, 2013 9:50 PM

Apr 2010
I'm still wondering what's gonna happen to Sara. :/

May 20, 2013 12:05 PM
Aug 2011
That Tabool kid is trouble, he had it coming.
Jul 13, 2013 12:54 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
All through the episode I couldn't help but constantly think on that the poor Sara is suffering all alone in that cell.

Shu is very naive, almost to the point of being dumb (he doesn't even ask questions about the world he's in), but I think his character serves to give a respite in all that bleak desolation and cruelty.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 22, 2013 10:49 PM

Jun 2013
Man. This is intense.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 25, 2013 12:54 PM

Nov 2009
Its starting to . . . Well . . . Wear off, I mean it is still good, but praying that the reason people love this anime so much isn't just because it has Torture/Children Soldiers/Rape in it . . .
May 11, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2014
insan3Spectre said:
My favorite scene of the episode was the soldier trying to give a terrified Sara her handkerchief back showing that, yes, these people are capable of kindness as well and can be decent people. Of course, for all we know, he could have very well been one of the people who raped her and felt guilty about. That scene could have literally meant ANYTHING....which is really kind of awesome to me.
I agree. This show really is meaningful.
Pirating_Ninja said:
Its starting to . . . Well . . . Wear off, I mean it is still good, but praying that the reason people love this anime so much isn't just because it has Torture/Children Soldiers/Rape in it . . .
I don't think it's just because of that, it's because of the meaning all of these things have as a background, things that war in general has as a background, the fact how all of that is inevitable, yet so useless...
Nov 27, 2014 11:36 PM
Nov 2013
They must be really desperate for soldiers to enlist an intruder like that

Shu wouldn't survive long in the military with an attitude like that
Mar 14, 2017 9:59 PM

Feb 2016
The comparisons between Shu and Nakajima Youko from Twelve Kingdoms is perfect. It is quite interesting seeing how different the two main characters reacted to a very similar situation.

If you want to see a campy version of this show/Main Character, I suggest Future Boy Conan which was directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

So far, I don't find the main character annoying at all. I admit most of the time, gary stus annoy me to no end, especially with their self righteous obnoxiousness over every little detail and their inability to see the complexity in every scenario they are in.

Shu is different, he is like a self-flagellating monk on the path of righteousness, walking straight and true through the valley of temptations and hopelessness and alligned to his own moral compass.

"A lot of people are hinting that he would have to change this personality later, which is a welcome character development. The anti hero is a great trope, in my opinion, compared to the superman model.

In fact I am in admiration of his character. If I had to put a favourite idealistic character that perfectly embodies all the goodness that humanity had to offer, I'd put Shu straight on the top of the list. He's a good kid with a strong backbone.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 14, 2017 10:05 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Oct 20, 2017 1:01 PM
Nov 2015
What's with child rape in this anime?
Oct 20, 2017 1:04 PM
Nov 2015
Ok now I'll have to admit the MC is getting a bit on my nerve.

Always Lalalu Lalalu Lalalu .......... Yeah ok I get it he's the genki type of boy. But he's behaving like Naruto whose only sentence is always "I'll become the Hokage". Just a little bit getting on my nerve.
Dec 3, 2017 1:42 AM

Dec 2016
I never thought that Shu would join the Corps, but hey now he's gonna have a way to be able to explore the ship without having to be very careful about it and I imagine as time goes on he's gonna convince Boo and Nabuca to help him free Lala Ru and escape
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 17, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2013
It's my understanding that historically prisoners/slaves are commonly enlisted and turned into grunts. I'm a shithead when it comes to history, so that may be bullshit, but that's my understanding. At any rate, in a post-apocalyptic setting where every resource is valuable, it certainly seems logical to do so.

I've no understanding why people in this thread are irritated by Shu. He's demonstrating traditional, ubiquitous human morals. I mean, he's been in this world for probably... a few days? Though the circumstances are extreme and he's being exposed to a world and punishment utterly foreign to his previous lifestyle, you don't suddenly abandon normal human ethics conditioned into you since birth over a few days. Especially not if you're the sort of stubborn, gutsy kid Shu is, as he was established in the first half of the first episode before these shenanigans.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 17, 2019 6:21 PM

Oct 2013
link9us said:
insan3soldiern said:

I was really waiting for someone to quote this. Isane is exactly right, the director did not intend to showcase a character right from the beginning of the series have an instant transformation, when, the world he came from was so much different and his life very easy going as you said. The nature of this show was to really showcase the harshness of the reality that shu stumbled upon and i think the directory captured that moment. Shu will eventually find ouit what "right" and wrong" and act upon it. But you have to remember this series is directing something that is more along the lines of something realistic if it happened to you. Now i know alot of anime depict such action heroes protagonist's.

But this series is much different, the way it was directed first is to show what these children have to go through to survive the hellish world and shu is in the same predicament, their will come a time where things will change. This fortress is build though to where you can't expect shu to just player hero and suddenly take control of a massive fortress, when Hambo has like 1000's of guards that obey him.

You have to think along the lines of "reality" if you were forced into this type of situation, what would you do, how you will you feel, yes you would be angry watching all of these children being turned into slaves and yes you would be angry watching sara being brutally raped and almost murdered. Of course these thoughts would go through your head and either revenge or "escaping" would be on your mind. Depends on what kind of person you are and how much you care for others. But shu has realize the horror that he has stumbled onto and he has learn to live with people in order to survive. One of the prominent themes portrayed in this show i think is survivability "Flight or fight". I am sure some one else can explain it better then i can but i gave it my best.

12 kingdoms is a good comparison because youko was in the same type of situation, but the only difference is, she had an escape route, she was not completely backed in a corner, sure she came to a world that she didn't know nothing bout but she also people that were helping her. Shu has none of them right now, he is in a world where everyone despises him AND he's being forced into a situation he does not approve. He beliefs that all good can come out of something and he is a very strong willed character. Just keep watching the show and watch how things gradually progress. Pay attention to Nabuca, he's one of favorite characters.

Excellent insight and excellent post. Thanks for this!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 7, 2019 11:52 AM

Jun 2019
This episode was much slower compared to the previous one, which is kinda dissapointing.

That's an interesting turn of events with Shuu being enlisted. Also, more child rape!

I wonder why the general lady hasn't overthrown the king yet, he isn't exactly... stable. Does she really believe in him that much? He's clearly like a god to most of the crew, but after seeing him up close she must realize that's not the case.
Aug 14, 2020 2:37 PM

Aug 2017
After the prison guard "returned" Sara's handkerchief, it disappeared from the next shots. Animation mistake! But it was an important scene nevertheless.

Abelia remembering Lala Ru's interrogation (specifically, the moment when Hamdo touched her face) and getting irritated gave me a feeling that she...likes Hamdo? Also that creak from her felt pen nooooo

I appreciate the development of the soldiers too. This is so real, and all the more scary because of that. Apparently they realize how bad their situation is. They all seem to be "captured" people. Did Hamdo have any soldiers of his own? Dumb question

The way Nabuca told Shu not to try to escape, I just felt *why* he told this from the tone of his voice. He didn't want to live through the action of killing his "comrade" again (I think he's softing up towards Shu despite acting all strong, too)

P.S. What did Hamdo do to Lala-Ru? Don't tell me that...

P.P.S. People are "annoyed" by Shu? What?

P.P.S. Hamdo's "sudden" revelation that Shu could've actually lost the pendant really conveys the insanity of the whole situation (coupled with the insanity of the character himself). Nothing makes sense, Hamdo can't see the obvious and orders torture just because, and it's not like such actions are "fictional", they're real. He doesn't think first, act second.
St0rmbladeAug 16, 2020 11:27 AM
Dec 10, 2022 10:32 AM

Nov 2021
So far I'm loving every episode.
Dec 10, 2022 10:35 AM

Nov 2021
Arcanus said:
I guess they're just short on soldiers?

Heh heh! Can't tell if this is word play or not.. Because all of the child soldiers.
Jan 9, 2023 4:52 AM

Jul 2017
i think the same thing
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 30, 2023 7:10 PM

Dec 2022
Shu should probably tell Nabuca that Hamdo's "promise" is empty and he has no intentions of releasing them, or using them as anything other than cannon fodder. On that note, Shu is amazing so far. He's a bit too sympathetic to the child soldiers, but his mentality is respectable. No one should tolerate injustice.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 20, 2023 8:48 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Was the opening scene with Abelia a homage to Kusanagi because it truly felt like it. 👀

The society of survival and how it’s spelled out to Shuu is a little heartbreaking. I know why he asks those things but at the same time, this life is ruthless and you could be dead the next day if you don’t stay in line or put your life on it. That seems so foreign when you don’t have to live it.

1/3 of the way through and it feels like so much to explore. I’m on the edge. 

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.