Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 2020 10:02 PM

Dec 2009
Having finally completed the Kara no Kyoukai anime film series from the first movie to the last special in a span of nine days, I'm disappointed in stating with no intention of instigating ill that this story is overrated and not very good, but please disregard that as that is not the point of this thread.
... Or rather, I should clarify in saying that, with some mediocre points it had, the anime was too flawed of an adaptation to give fulfillment of truly comprehending the story and Shiki Ryougi as the most intriguing mysterious character out of the whole story.

Unfortunately with the remaining holes of context and not having read the novels, I can't properly appreciate Kara no Kyoukai for what it really is, yet.
Disregarding some odd characters and events, throughout watching the story of the movies, I was always left with mystifying questions till the end with how the intense mystery felt mindless in pretext until the conclusion which revealed reason to an extent but never fully explained the depth in the roots of the characters' behavior.

With my notes that I carefully wrote at every watch, flawed to my assumptions and interpretation of the movies, I'll attempt to summarize some of my concerning questions and breakdown every movie of their plots and lacking context from what I understood.
Once I'm done, I'll watch The Lore of Kara no Kyoukai which I hope clarifies all, if not, some of my wonders.

... In short to some of my questions;
What is everyone's origin. How did Shiki's family instill an empty origin into Shiki's body and ...
[ Under Construction ]

_____ 「Kara no Kyoukai 1」 _____
Shiki and Mikiya are introduced into the story as friends, with Touko a dollmaker [A Magician Detective] who sends Shiki to investigate the four suicides of random girls occurring in a building, while Mikiya is unconscious on the sofa since the occurrence of those deaths.
Kirie, the first daughter of the Fujyou building, [Souren's victim] a blind girl with an incurable disease in the hospital for ten years, who possessed girls to fly with her as ghosts was later defeated by Shiki and exposed by Touko to then commit suicide which relieves Mikiya out of his coma, who she loved out of jealousy when she constantly saw him with flowers visiting Shiki.
In their battle, Shiki was shown to have extraordinary inhuman athletic abilities with glowing eyes [Mystic Eyes of Death Perception], along with an artificial arm that can [strangle spirits]. Touko mentioned of Mikiya to Shiki of being fascinated by her dolls and wanting to work for her urgently when they met, and that a doll that looked like her was his favorite.
_____

... I'll have to look into all my notes again after I wake up to see what I don't remember of Kirie if anything was slightly revealed but in any case. ... I was always 'curious as to how exactly Souren influenced Kirie as an experiment to kill others, attract Shiki and how he brought out her origin. I don't understand exactly how he brings out someone's origin. How does it look like and how does he do it? They've never shown it in the anime.

[ Under Construction ]
waalex11May 16, 2020 3:46 AM
May 8, 2020 11:12 PM

Jul 2013
Kara no Kyoukai is generally considered to be the best adaptation among all of Type-Moon's works except maybe for the 6th movie (at least according to those who actually read the novels which is not me lul) so I'm certain the movies do a great job of conveying the story.

Anyway, KNK isn't something that you can understand on the very first watch and I'm not saying this to be pretentious lmao but it really is true. Compared to other Type-Moon works that are very detailed, KNK values subtlety a lot and tackles a lot of psychological concepts and philosophies related to religion..
May 16, 2020 2:00 AM

Dec 2009
Incoming breakdown of Kara no Kyoukai with countless questions still a mystery. ...I'm fucking procrastinating. 'Not sure when I'll at least ask all of my questions but hopefully I complete my breakdown sooner than later.
waalex11May 22, 2020 11:41 AM
Jul 4, 2020 2:03 PM

Dec 2009
Typical procrastination.
I don't know if I'll properly remember to clearly explain my feelings and breakdown every movie with my notes by the time I do, if ever, haha.

If I do, I'll watch that youtube video to refresh my memory while it will probably clarify and maybe answer some of my questions before I post my full breakdown.

It's long and tedious to do so I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this.
Aug 15, 2020 9:30 PM

Dec 2009
I don't think I'll ever finish this and I almost doubt I'll be able properly breakdown clearly the questions I had from memory since it's been so long,
So with that being said, I'll reveal my summary notes at least.

... KnK 1-5

... KnK 6-7

... KnK 8+
Jun 18, 2022 11:17 AM
Oct 2021
Dull_Lull said:
Kara no Kyoukai is generally considered to be the best adaptation among all of Type-Moon's works except maybe for the 6th movie (at least according to those who actually read the novels which is not me lul) so I'm certain the movies do a great job of conveying the story.

Anyway, KNK isn't something that you can understand on the very first watch and I'm not saying this to be pretentious lmao but it really is true. Compared to other Type-Moon works that are very detailed, KNK values subtlety a lot and tackles a lot of psychological concepts and philosophies related to religion..

this is why I love the series so much, it speaks to me in a very personal way. I just finished the novels and they're very good I highly recommend them!!!
Aug 26, 2022 3:20 AM

Aug 2021
waalex11 said:
Having finally completed the Kara no Kyoukai anime film series from the first movie to the last special in a span of nine days, I'm disappointed in stating with no intention of instigating ill that this story is overrated and not very good, but please disregard that as that is not the point of this thread.
... Or rather, I should clarify in saying that, with some mediocre points it had, the anime was too flawed of an adaptation to give fulfillment of truly comprehending the story and Shiki Ryougi as the most intriguing mysterious character out of the whole story.

Unfortunately with the remaining holes of context and not having read the novels, I can't properly appreciate Kara no Kyoukai for what it really is, yet.
Disregarding some odd characters and events, throughout watching the story of the movies, I was always left with mystifying questions till the end with how the intense mystery felt mindless in pretext until the conclusion which revealed reason to an extent but never fully explained the depth in the roots of the characters' behavior.

With my notes that I carefully wrote at every watch, flawed to my assumptions and interpretation of the movies, I'll attempt to summarize some of my concerning questions and breakdown every movie of their plots and lacking context from what I understood.
Once I'm done, I'll watch The Lore of Kara no Kyoukai which I hope clarifies all, if not, some of my wonders.

... In short to some of my questions;
What is everyone's origin. How did Shiki's family instill an empty origin into Shiki's body and ...
[ Under Construction ]

_____ 「Kara no Kyoukai 1」 _____
Shiki and Mikiya are introduced into the story as friends, with Touko a dollmaker [A Magician Detective] who sends Shiki to investigate the four suicides of random girls occurring in a building, while Mikiya is unconscious on the sofa since the occurrence of those deaths.
Kirie, the first daughter of the Fujyou building, [Souren's victim] a blind girl with an incurable disease in the hospital for ten years, who possessed girls to fly with her as ghosts was later defeated by Shiki and exposed by Touko to then commit suicide which relieves Mikiya out of his coma, who she loved out of jealousy when she constantly saw him with flowers visiting Shiki.
In their battle, Shiki was shown to have extraordinary inhuman athletic abilities with glowing eyes [Mystic Eyes of Death Perception], along with an artificial arm that can [strangle spirits]. Touko mentioned of Mikiya to Shiki of being fascinated by her dolls and wanting to work for her urgently when they met, and that a doll that looked like her was his favorite.
_____

... I'll have to look into all my notes again after I wake up to see what I don't remember of Kirie if anything was slightly revealed but in any case. ... I was always 'curious as to how exactly Souren influenced Kirie as an experiment to kill others, attract Shiki and how he brought out her origin. I don't understand exactly how he brings out someone's origin. How does it look like and how does he do it? They've never shown it in the anime.

[ Under Construction ]

Well imo KNK is a very good adaptation
BTW the movies aren't in chronological orders and These movies are part of "Nasuverse" which means you have to have an idea how the universe works and other adaptations like Fate/Stay Night (3 routes), Tsukihime, Mahotsukai No Yoru. And when you finish the movies you'll get a good picture and you have general idea about Nasuverse you won't face much problem imo.
Aug 26, 2022 3:57 AM

Dec 2009
@mubeen66613
A coworker did explain that to me once, although I don't know if it'd change my enjoyment/disappointment of the films, but maybe understanding the naruverse would actually make me like the films more from understanding the subtle mysteries that I'm oblivious to without reading the novel, I guess.

It's been in my plan to do list, but I have yet to start/finish the fate stay/night visual novel.
Aug 26, 2022 5:28 AM

Aug 2021
waalex11 said:
@mubeen66613
A coworker did explain that to me once, although I don't know if it'd change my enjoyment/disappointment of the films, but maybe understanding the naruverse would actually make me like the films more from understanding the subtle mysteries that I'm oblivious to without reading the novel, I guess.

It's been in my plan to do list, but I have yet to start/finish the fate stay/night visual novel.

Well it's a time consuming task but imo it's a worth one. Good luck!! 🙂
Jul 21, 2023 5:34 AM

Aug 2021
Having pondered the Nasu works quite a bit myself, I've come to the conclusion that one of the most succinct and basic ways to sum up the nasuverse, poetically, is that perhaps unlike a lot of works, and against a typical viewer's expectations, Nasu's works tend to IMO:

Propose the questions, not give the answers.

There are of course a number of themes and details to go into, and one could (and have) write a number of essays on it but I think that point is very important, and what makes the hardcore fans perhaps love it so much as it's very akin to life. What is right or wrong? What is sin? What is the meaning? What is my purpose? These answers tend to come more easily than perhaps they should in media, but in life they aren't so black and white. Also, is a bit of a puzzle that may or may not quite ever fit together, or at least aren't just presented in a nice little box with a nice little guide. This, in my opinion, is the underlying theme under all the other themes in his works. 
qwrxzyJul 21, 2023 5:38 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners Chapter 1 Discussion

Trequartista - Feb 21, 2014

4 by Uutama »»
Mar 9, 3:18 PM

» Where you can read this: Walkthrough or whatever.

Sobzob - Dec 21, 2007

15 by Alexioos95 »»
Aug 4, 2023 11:35 PM

» Need help and advice

kaleHoneylettuce - May 18, 2022

5 by Alexioos95 »»
Aug 2, 2023 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai ~the Garden of sinners~ Chapter 7 Discussion

Kanorin - Mar 9, 2013

1 by Kazu-chan-san »»
Mar 19, 2023 5:43 AM

» I didn't like anime

zero_suls - Jun 30, 2009

20 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 11, 2023 8:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.