Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 25, 2019 7:24 AM

Dec 2015
So today I found this little review about Fruits Basket. http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=309365

Now obviously this person doesn't like the series all that much but I don't really agree with the criticism at all. Maybe I don't notice these things while watching? I know I really like Fruits Basket and I tend to forgive the flaws from series I really like but since the series is only one third into the full story I don't know what to think of this. Is there someone, preferably someone who read the entire manga recently enough to remember the bulk of the story, how problematic the series really is?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 30, 2019 12:08 PM
Aug 2018
Again it all depends on the view the reader/watcher uses to view the series, some may see Tohru selflessness and adherence to traditional gender roles ad anti-feminist while some may see it as her going all out and beyond to take care of those she cares for and just being a good person.

As for the overarching themes it again comes down to your POV, I personally see Fruit Baskets theme is how we deal with issues and the ill-effect of having an abusive family. As Tohru whose mother wholeheartedly accepted everything about her help heal the issues the Sohma have from a poor view of themselves, the pains of past abuse, or clearing misunderstandings they may have.

The only real problematic thing mention was again the incest angle as there are few cases in the series. I don't like it being there but I can at least excuse it due to the nature of the curse. You may of got sort of sneak peak at such as the relation between Hiro and Kisa. But again whether you will excuse it is up to you.

But from at least my POV Fruit Basket isn't problematic.
Aug 31, 2019 4:30 AM

Dec 2015
Okay, thanks Freshie. At least I can continue watching it without feeling guilty.
Nov 11, 2019 6:56 AM

Oct 2019
I'm late to the conversation, but I just finished watching season 1 of the remake, and one thing did bother me...

As a whole, I like Fruits Basket, it's cute, it's funny, it's touching, and I agree with Freshie that the themes of how we deal with abuse or trauma are addressed pretty well. You can even learn a thing or two by watching it.

But the show's treatment of Tohru is where it gets tricky... The way I see her, she's been so traumatised by the loss of her mother that she's willing to do whatever it takes to avoid any tragedy around her or her loved ones ever again, including putting herself in danger or putting herself dead last. She's so obsessed with making others happy that she lost even the most basic self-preservation instincts (I mean, she's so terrified of causing trouble that she goes to live in a tent rather than ask her best friends for help >.>)

And that would make for a really interesting character, that could have a really interesting development arc, except... the show treats all her flaws like they're virtues. Instead of giving us character development and watching her try to overcome her flaws, the show constantly praises her lack of self-respect and shows her as a role model to follow. So on top of giving the audience a pretty messed up message, I think it's a real missed opportunity in a show that's all about growing and bettering yourself.

There, sorry for the rant, but after watching that remake, I needed to vent somewhere xD Again, I actually like that show (I think I still prefer the original anime, but the remake is decent), but I do have a peeve with Tohru's treatment.
Nov 11, 2019 7:14 AM

Dec 2015
RedJeanne said:
I'm late to the conversation, but I just finished watching season 1 of the remake, and one thing did bother me...

As a whole, I like Fruits Basket, it's cute, it's funny, it's touching, and I agree with Freshie that the themes of how we deal with abuse or trauma are addressed pretty well. You can even learn a thing or two by watching it.

But the show's treatment of Tohru is where it gets tricky... The way I see her, she's been so traumatised by the loss of her mother that she's willing to do whatever it takes to avoid any tragedy around her or her loved ones ever again, including putting herself in danger or putting herself dead last. She's so obsessed with making others happy that she lost even the most basic self-preservation instincts (I mean, she's so terrified of causing trouble that she goes to live in a tent rather than ask her best friends for help >.>)

And that would make for a really interesting character, that could have a really interesting development arc, except... the show treats all her flaws like they're virtues. Instead of giving us character development and watching her try to overcome her flaws, the show constantly praises her lack of self-respect and shows her as a role model to follow. So on top of giving the audience a pretty messed up message, I think it's a real missed opportunity in a show that's all about growing and bettering yourself.

There, sorry for the rant, but after watching that remake, I needed to vent somewhere xD Again, I actually like that show (I think I still prefer the original anime, but the remake is decent), but I do have a peeve with Tohru's treatment.

I actually heard this is adressed in the manga at some point so it will probably be adressed in season 2 or 3. You're right in that she's really traumatized, there are so many hints scattered around season 1 that it's just hard to miss. But I think that season 1 is more of an introduction to the main story and that the latter is about to begin in season 2.
Dec 14, 2019 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
I think her selflessness is more like a deep character flaw, from what I have seen so far and not a comment on women's role. I think she never learned to care for herself and put herself first. That's something I can sadly identify with that you must learn that in hard work over the time. At her age (and even now sometimes) I remember that I swallowed some problems for months or years instead of asking for help, because I thought that would annoy others or make them extra problems. It got better and I value healthy egoism a lot now, but at her age, I understand it well.

But for this series, I'll watch / finish it someday. ^^ it's just like that I'm overall interested but then there is a lot of other stuff that hinders me haha.
Jun 17, 2020 2:24 AM
Apr 2016
Hello,
Really late to the conversation but since Fruits Basket is one of my fav manga and then anime as an extension, of all time, I thought about it through a feminist viewpoint. Obvs I might be biased because I love the story and I read the books at a difficult time, and the character of Tohru really warmed my heart.
That being said, she is indeed extremely selfless. In my opinion, it's also a bit of a Japanese social construct, as they do not see individuality as a high ranked quality. I think her selflessness can be problematic as in the end she does not take time to deal with her own trauma enough and maybe being surrounded mostly by male characters she does not build on her own femininity enough. That being said, I don't think the show or the books are that problematic in terms of gender roles.
Fruits Basket is focused on "secrets" and "curses" than can be interpreted in a myriad of ways, especially in family dynamics. In this chaotic environment, Tohru is a beacon of light and for that I would say she can be a feminist character. She is written with typical feminine characteristics than could be viewed as gendered: she cares a lot, she listens, she's soft-spoken but she's also incredibly strong and she fights for what she believes in. For that she can be inspirational in my opinion.
The 2 characters that are more problematic in terms of gender roles for me are Akito and Ren but I will stop here as otherwise I'll spoil massively to the people who have not read the books.
It's only my opinion but yes Tohru is to me a symbol of strong femininity.
Jun 17, 2020 3:42 PM
Sep 2011
YukiCamNewman said:
Hello,
Really late to the conversation but since Fruits Basket is one of my fav manga and then anime as an extension, of all time, I thought about it through a feminist viewpoint. Obvs I might be biased because I love the story and I read the books at a difficult time, and the character of Tohru really warmed my heart.
That being said, she is indeed extremely selfless. In my opinion, it's also a bit of a Japanese social construct, as they do not see individuality as a high ranked quality. I think her selflessness can be problematic as in the end she does not take time to deal with her own trauma enough and maybe being surrounded mostly by male characters she does not build on her own femininity enough. That being said, I don't think the show or the books are that problematic in terms of gender roles.
Fruits Basket is focused on "secrets" and "curses" than can be interpreted in a myriad of ways, especially in family dynamics. In this chaotic environment, Tohru is a beacon of light and for that I would say she can be a feminist character. She is written with typical feminine characteristics than could be viewed as gendered: she cares a lot, she listens, she's soft-spoken but she's also incredibly strong and she fights for what she believes in. For that she can be inspirational in my opinion.
The 2 characters that are more problematic in terms of gender roles for me are Akito and Ren but I will stop here as otherwise I'll spoil massively to the people who have not read the books.

I'm finally watching the remake, and I'm writing just to say that I agree with everything you said. I also read the manga in a difficult time, so it's pretty nostalgic and dear. Even so, I believe I can distance myself enough to reflect on Tohru, and I came to pretty much the same conclusions.
Jun 18, 2020 7:38 AM

Dec 2015
YukiCamNewman said:
Hello,

Thank you for your input. I too don't think Fruits Basket is that problematic at all but it's always nice to hear what you have to say. I didn't even consider the Japanese social construct to be a factor, but it all makes sense to me. The "hit the nail that sticks out" saying exists for a reason anyway.

And thank you for not spoiling that part about Akito and Ren because I'm an anime watcher only and Ren hasn't appeared in the series yet. When we're deeper into the series again you might want to explain what you mean though because those kinds of things usually fly right over my head.
Jun 18, 2020 12:58 PM
Apr 2016
holysauron said:
YukiCamNewman said:
Hello,

Thank you for your input. I too don't think Fruits Basket is that problematic at all but it's always nice to hear what you have to say. I didn't even consider the Japanese social construct to be a factor, but it all makes sense to me. The "hit the nail that sticks out" saying exists for a reason anyway.

And thank you for not spoiling that part about Akito and Ren because I'm an anime watcher only and Ren hasn't appeared in the series yet. When we're deeper into the series again you might want to explain what you mean though because those kinds of things usually fly right over my head.

No worries, I loved that post and read all the messages on it and found everyone’s opinion really interesting and it’s nice to think about something we like in another way.
No problem for the spoilers and I’ll be sure to stick around and continue the discussion with you about what I meant and more. Fruits Basket is very rich in terms of contents so I think we could definitely discuss it throughout and really dig deep. That’s also why I love the anime so much and the manga, it’s got so many layers !
Jun 18, 2020 1:04 PM
Apr 2016
xxHxx said:
YukiCamNewman said:
Hello,

I'm finally watching the remake, and I'm writing just to say that I agree with everything you said. I also read the manga in a difficult time, so it's pretty nostalgic and dear. Even so, I believe I can distance myself enough to reflect on Tohru, and I came to pretty much the same conclusions.

It’s great that the reboot is so good though don’t you think ? The first adaptation will always have a special place in my heart mind you :)
It’s great that Tohru but not only her is a character you can reflect on. Because in Fruits Basket, character development is so well done, you can come back to your initial thoughts and think some more. For instance, the other day I thought about Momiji and the way he embraces his femininity as well as his masculinity. His character was created, I think, to embody a lot of contrasts ... he’s cute and adorable, also seems happy but has terrible back story... also he is a boy but does not stick to gendered stereotypes and would rather be fluid. That’s all very interesting.
Jun 20, 2020 9:56 PM

Dec 2015
YukiCamNewman said:
xxHxx said:

It’s great that the reboot is so good though don’t you think ? The first adaptation will always have a special place in my heart mind you :)
It’s great that Tohru but not only her is a character you can reflect on. Because in Fruits Basket, character development is so well done, you can come back to your initial thoughts and think some more. For instance, the other day I thought about Momiji and the way he embraces his femininity as well as his masculinity. His character was created, I think, to embody a lot of contrasts ... he’s cute and adorable, also seems happy but has terrible back story... also he is a boy but does not stick to gendered stereotypes and would rather be fluid. That’s all very interesting.

And that's a perfect example of something that flies over my head, the gender thing I mean. But thinking about it now you are definitely right. It's probably also the reason why he is so damn cute.
May 9, 2022 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
holysauron said:
So today I found this little review about Fruits Basket. http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=309365

Now obviously this person doesn't like the series all that much but I don't really agree with the criticism at all. Maybe I don't notice these things while watching? I know I really like Fruits Basket and I tend to forgive the flaws from series I really like but since the series is only one third into the full story I don't know what to think of this. Is there someone, preferably someone who read the entire manga recently enough to remember the bulk of the story, how problematic the series really is?

I've finished Fruits Basket now a while ago and I'm pretty caught between two stools.

SPOILER!

On the one hand, I really like how it deals with abusive families and how it affects all the Somas. It's beautifully done through and through ...

... until it forgives Akito for all the shit she has done.
Such a narcissistic person will never become a loving mother in the end and I always dislike these naive messages that awful people just need to be loved and they will be better, if they get some love and forgiveness, urgh...

The other thing I dislike is Tohru as the main character. On the one hand her selflessness is somehow portrayed as a flaw, but she's just always this cute and very naive and all and she doesn't change much.
She never really learns to put herself first and she never gets angry over people or shows other normal emotions.
She's a bit portrayed as this perfect waifu with angelic patience for everyone's emotional garbage.

I also don't really like the ship between Kyo and her that much. For the moment, he might see an anchor in Tohru he needs, but Tohru is such a boring person and if it weren't for quoting her mother, she often wouldn't have to say much on her own in a lot of scenes...
Could you imagine Kyo living with a ... tradwife his whole life? I don't know ...

And I have to admit, in a sense of my interests and way to live, I'm a "tradwife" too. I love being a housewife, cooking for people, caring for people, dealing with kids etc. but I'm not a shy wallflower like Tohru.

There is nothing wrong with these interests or so, but she is too much idealized in her... waifuness. She's always nice, she got angelic patience, she never snaps, she never has enough of people's shit, she never really learns to put herself first sometimes etc...
In one scene that 10 yo tiger boy throws his shoes away on purpose, orders Tohru to collect them for him and she just does and allows to be pushed around by a child. ^^'

But well, I like Fruits Basket for a lot of other characters, mainly most of the Somas, because their stories are beautifully told and a lot of times it has important things to say about different topics.
I also really liked the visuals and openings and endings. They are really relaxing. ^^
removed-userMay 9, 2022 7:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» • women working on anime: recommendations?

aku333 - Apr 5, 2020

5 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2022 7:10 PM

» Study material

holysauron - Apr 10, 2018

3 by Moonspeak »»
May 6, 2022 9:54 AM

» Feminist television and mini-series

Angemars - Sep 16, 2016

5 by Zoldra0 »»
Feb 4, 2022 9:06 AM

» What are your favourite anime/manga and why?

daisys - Dec 3, 2021

1 by Zoldra0 »»
Feb 4, 2022 8:58 AM

» DANGER: Official List of Anti-Feminist/Sexist Anime &Manga ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akichii - Sep 17, 2013

686 by jal90 »»
Jan 25, 2022 5:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.