Forum Settings
Forums

If you like every song on an album, is that album a 10?

New
Mar 3, 2019 6:43 PM

Aug 2015
I personally don't think so, like there is albums where I like every song but I don't feel like there was a few things that it could've done that could've made it better. Maybe experimented a little more etc. I'm not very good at discussing music, I apologize in advance.

Mar 3, 2019 7:37 PM

Sep 2012
if you just "like" them i don't think its a 10.
not every song has a to be a 11/10 life-changing experience, if even the weaker songs add to the overall album strongly, that's what makes a 10.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Mar 3, 2019 7:38 PM

Apr 2013
Depends, like rating songs individually it's very hard to come across a record with all tracks being a perfect 10 or ones that you all like, so all the 5/5s I have given on Rateyourmusic are there not because I liked all the tracks but are there because of the overall product and the connection you can create with it. Karma by Pharoah Sanders as an example, the main reason I gave it a perfect score was due to The Creator Has A Master Plan, there is in no way Colors the 2nd track reaches the brilliance of that monstrous track yet it is a great closer, so in the end it mostly ends up with personal feelings being the things that makes a record a 10 to you. Tbh a lot of albums I end up liking all the tracks to end up being a 4.5/5 for me, they are just missing that one thing that would make it a personal record to me.

Aidoru-OjisanMar 3, 2019 9:58 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Mar 3, 2019 9:52 PM

Jul 2017
Generally, if I like every song on an album then it would be in the higher of the grading scale like an 8-10. What justifies an 10, however, is not based on enjoyment of the tracks but how it incorporates something grander, whether that themes or concepts that envelops the album as a whole ("In the Aeroplane over the Sea" and "Pet Sounds"). If not for the themes, then it would be atmosphere and musicianship I would be looking for ("Bitches Brew" and "Spiderland").
Mar 3, 2019 11:15 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
I personally wouldn't say so. There are plenty of albums where I like and enjoy every song, but there's still at least one song where you would do something differently if you could. An unsatisfying drop, or a verse that was too short, stuff like that. For an album to be a 10 (to me) every song would have to be my taste and every song would have to be executed perfectly without me thinking "hm they could have done this differently" or "I would have liked that to be longer" but having criticisms doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the songs!

Mar 17, 2019 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
for me it depends of the replaying value, mostly i got bored from playing an album everyday on repeat despite kinda enjoying it yet in a certain occasion like i had with Bruno Mars' debut album that i never get bored to listen over and over while playing truck simulation so a chance of 10/10 is possible but most likely no, most are just good but boring to listen more than 2 times a day.
Mar 18, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
liking and thinking something is good don't have to be related at all so no, and it applies to anything that can be rated ig xd
Mar 18, 2019 6:17 AM

Nov 2017
Liking isn't the same like giving it a personal masterpiece rating. But if I like a whole album it gets at least a personal good rating.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Mar 18, 2019 12:54 PM

Jan 2017
Definitely not. A masterpiece has to have more then just all bangers. It has to be cohesive, push the genre forward, Show growth from the artist, and have the replay ability factor
Mar 19, 2019 12:38 AM

Mar 2019
Here's a thought experiment for you: There's a 12 track album: every single song on the album is absolutely great and you give the album a 100/100. But then they release an updated version of this album with one extra bonus track that is so-so. Would that make the updated version less than 100/100? It is surely strictly superior since you don't have to listen to the extra track.

Would a reviewer rate the second version as inferior? Could one actually improve the critical perception of an album by omitting some of the weaker tracks even though adding them would make it strictly superior from an objective standpoint? I think it probably works that way with most reviewers.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7705 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
4 hours ago

» Rap Music Recommendations - Newbie Here

Liaeves - Feb 17

6 by MeanMrMusician »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3467 by MeanMrMusician »»
6 hours ago

» What are your favorite ZARD songs?

GinIonSui - May 18

1 by GinIonSui »»
10 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

53 by ProtoSelf »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.