Forum Settings
Forums
Mirai
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 22, 2019 10:50 AM

Dec 2018
Following the nomination for Best Animated Feature Film at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, Mirai makes history by becoming the first Japanese Animation not produced by Studio Ghibli to receive a nomination in this category for the Oscars.

A big sign that anime is gaining more space in the western mainstream.

Thoughts?
ElectrowandererOct 2, 2020 9:43 PM
Jan 22, 2019 6:28 PM
Jan 2016
Even though I can't stand Hosoda films, it's still cool to see the Academy recognize a non-ghibli anime film.

It doesn't have a chance of winning, but it's still amazing we're at a point in film history that we will see a relatively unknown anime film stand next to Pixar, Disney, Spiderman and Wes Anderson.

Though night is short walk on girl totally deserved it more than mirai, just saying 😉
Jan 23, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2017
I havent seen Mirai no Mirai yet but as SergioVSNake said. Its amazing to see a non ghibli film, even a film that isnt really appreciated that much in the anime community itself to be nominated. Its a step forward for the biggest movie awards in the WORLD. It seems like they are slowly getting away from being Hollywood only awards.
Jan 23, 2019 2:29 PM
Mar 2018
SergioVSnake said:
Following the nomination for Best Animated Feature Film at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, Mirai makes history by becoming the first Japanese Animation not produced by Studio Ghibli to be nominated for the Oscars.

A good sign that animes are gaining more space in the western mainstream.

Thoughts?

Well, it was already nominated for the golden globe and I believe the last time an anime won an oscar was one of Hayao Miyazakis works, so technically no anime ever won an oscar and probably never will, considering it went so poorly to begin with. Besides I've not even heard of this movie being in any western cinemas...
Jan 24, 2019 8:05 AM

Aug 2017
GoesWithTheWind said:

Though night is short walk on girl totally deserved it more than mirai, just saying 😉

That one is from 2017. Dont even know why it is nominated for Anime Awards...
Jan 24, 2019 1:27 PM
Jan 2016
FzBlade said:
GoesWithTheWind said:

That one is from 2017. Dont even know why it is nominated for Anime Awards...
they're probably going by U.S. release, they did the same with a silent voice
Jan 24, 2019 1:46 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Though Mirai was a great film, I had a fantastic time with it and saw the love Hosoda put into the film and in general wouldn't mind it winning, I think Spider Verse did better especially in the animation department and what it's doing for the genre as a whole.

I think with GKIDS dealing with licensing and distribution and giving films from Japan a release here within 6 months is astounding and nobody but Disney was able to do that before (aka with Ghibli). That's why Your Name and Silent Voice ended up having issues getting nominated, because they didn't meet the requirements met by the Academy for being available.
Feb 20, 2019 3:52 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
I do not think Mirai will win, it is an acceptable film but it is in the average and Spiderman is the one that will win or any Disney thing. Typical from the Academy, they nominated it because needed "diversity" and to erase the mistake with Kimi two years ago. The film that deserved to be nominated was Kimi no Na wa but it was not in 2017 because it was a heavy competitor but the Americans ignored it even when Kimi's producers tried hard to screen it there.

Mar 2, 2019 3:45 PM
Mar 2018
Well, it did try, but it shouldn't be a surprize that a western animated movie gets the highest western award over a japanese movie, just as it should be no surprize that only japanese movies get the highest japanese award...
Mar 26, 2019 9:39 PM

Jul 2016
I think its bull that this is Hosoda's only nomination. All his other films are way better than Mirai
Apr 18, 2019 12:06 AM

Feb 2015
mushroomcloud said:
I think its bull that this is Hosoda's only nomination. All his other films are way better than Mirai

Strong disagree. Mirai was his strongest work yet. Much better than Boy and the Beast, THATS for damn sure.

So it’s pretty depressing that it’s been relatively slept on.
Apr 18, 2019 12:13 AM

Feb 2015
I think Mirai deserved to win the award personally, but what do you expect with the Oscars. A nomination’s the best an indie film can muster at this point. And with how much mainstream success spiderverse received as well as within the animation hipster circle-jerk crowd and inside and out of the industry, its no wonder it won (this is not a dig on the excellent spiderverse, just pointing out that it’s definitely been getting totally evangelized to a ridiculous degree imo).

Mirai certainly wasn’t as visually ambitious (though not without its experiments), but it personally resonated with me more on an emotional level.
Apr 18, 2019 5:20 PM

Jul 2016
AnimEva said:
mushroomcloud said:

Strong disagree. Mirai was his strongest work yet. Much better than Boy and the Beast, THATS for damn sure.

So it’s pretty depressing that it’s been relatively slept on.

Certainly not his best. The theme of family in Mirai was done so much better in Wolf Children. I don't think Mirai is terrible, but it lacks the heart of Hosoda's other works.
But if it resonated with you on a personal level more power to you. There just wasn't much for me to love.
Apr 18, 2019 8:55 PM

Feb 2015
mushroomcloud said:
Certainly not his best. The theme of family in Mirai was done so much better in Wolf Children. I don't think Mirai is terrible, but it lacks the heart of Hosoda's other works.
But if it resonated with you on a personal level more power to you. There just wasn't much for me to love.

The problem with WC's depiction of family was that it was far too idealized. Hana never snaps a nerve, is ever-patient, and while she faces plenty of obstacles her character never falters. Whereas in Mirai the parents are portrayed far more realistically, far more flawed and human.

I don't see how someone can watch that final scene in the family tree and claim that the film lacks the heart his works have become known for. Just because there isn't an abundance of tearjerker moments that doesn't mean it doesn't feature plenty of emotion. I nearly teared up when you witness the story of his past family members, especially the race between his great grandpa and grandma. Happy tears, but tears all the same.

So... certainly his best. But yeah that's just me I guess. Hopefully more people agree over time because I'll be damned if anything other than Boy and the Beast is actually viewed as his worst work.
Apr 20, 2019 9:38 AM

Jul 2016
AnimEva said:
mushroomcloud said:

The problem with WC's depiction of family was that it was far too idealized. Hana never snaps a nerve, is ever-patient, and while she faces plenty of obstacles her character never falters. Whereas in Mirai the parents are portrayed far more realistically, far more flawed and human.

I don't see how someone can watch that final scene in the family tree and claim that the film lacks the heart his works have become known for. Just because there isn't an abundance of tearjerker moments that doesn't mean it doesn't feature plenty of emotion. I nearly teared up when you witness the story of his past family members, especially the race between his great grandpa and grandma. Happy tears, but tears all the same.

So... certainly his best. But yeah that's just me I guess. Hopefully more people agree over time because I'll be damned if anything other than Boy and the Beast is actually viewed as his worst work.

Don't get me wrong, I teared up big time at the great grandfather part, that part struck a chord with me and was the highlight of the film.
But as for the rest of it... I dunno I just felt a disconnect the whole time and dislike a lot of it, aside from the amazing final act. I saw Hosoda's name on it and was a bit too excited but it didn't really live up to his other works
But hey don't let my dumbass opinion stop you from loving this film.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mirai no Mirai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fortress_Maximus - Nov 4, 2018

83 by The_Jadester »»
Oct 8, 2023 5:07 PM

» Mirai got Nominated in Golden Globes but not Your Name even in Oscars?

KotoriMinami - Jan 9, 2019

10 by KiryuHanabi »»
Aug 16, 2020 12:05 AM

» Have Mirai of the Future come out? HELP ME PLEASE

secretmoonlight - Nov 10, 2018

8 by tsaavik »»
Jun 7, 2020 7:37 AM

» Mirai nimnated for Golden Globe...

DonTrumpolino - Dec 7, 2018

12 by DonTrumpolino »»
Jan 5, 2019 3:54 PM

» BD release?

Kamiyan3991 - Nov 9, 2018

3 by arsonal »»
Nov 23, 2018 9:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.