Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2018 11:40 PM

Feb 2018
Y_TZ said:

Everybody crying over the fact that they removed the fansub section, while I'm here still waiting for more details on the API. Will it eventually come back? I mean it has been four months since it was disabled. Four freaking months. Asking the "support" team for updates is just like talking to a robot. Delayed and standard responses that got nothing to do with the issue. While I don't really want to leave MAL, I'm considering migrating to AniDB because of all of this.

To me, it looks like someone is having a problem coming up with a developer policy.

In my opinion, you can have anything in the developer policy(you could even restrict Apps using the API to engaging in legal activity only), that shouldn't be a problem, there could be a bit of a problem enforcing the policy but I think it should be worth trying.

If that is not the problem these folks are having, then I don't know what their problem is.
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 24, 2018 11:45 PM
Aug 2011
I think "cozy up to CR" is missing the mark here. It's too much of a Western perspective. Like I said before, myanimelist is owned by a Japanese company smack bang in the middle of the anime thing back home.

Keeping their nose clean about piracy is about more than schmoozing Crunchyroll. In fact, DeNA (MAL's Japanese parent company) would definitely be considering the possibility of cutting out the middle man for international streaming. In Japan, DeNA own one of the biggest cellphone platforms, and they have major partners, such as other games companies like Nintendo, and the major anime studios.

Now, they've bought a popular international anime platform complete with a vast user-base. Then, they added streaming to it, but bootstrapped that by first partnering with Daisuki and now with Crunchyroll and Hulu. You can bet that DeNA's longterm plan is to cut those middle-men out of the equation. Working with Crunchyroll is just the needed middle-step to boostrapping their own streaming service which licenses stuff straight from Japan.

Note, that DeNA's yearly revenue is 140 billion yen, or almost $1.4 billion US dollars. This makes Crunchyroll look like flyshit in comparison. Crunchyroll are just a convienient puppet for the Japanese owners until they get the infrastructure in place to have worldwide streaming services owned by Japanese companies.
cipheronSep 24, 2018 11:57 PM
Sep 24, 2018 11:51 PM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:
I think "cozy up to CR" is missing the mark here. It's too much of a Western perspective. Like I said before, myanimelist is owned by a Japanese company smack bang in the middle of the anime thing back home.

Keeping their nose clean about piracy is about more than schmoozing Crunchyroll. In fact, DeNA (MAL's Japanese parent company) would definitely be considering the possibility of cutting out the middle man for international streaming. In Japan, DeNA own one of the biggest cellphone platforms, and they have major partners, such as other games companies like Nintendo, and the major anime studios.

Now, they've bought a popular international anime platform complete with a vast user-base. Then, they added streaming to it, but bootstrapped that by first partnering with Daisuki and now with Crunchyroll and Hulu. You can bet that DeNA's longterm plan is to cut those middle-men out of the equation. Working with Crunchyroll is just the needed middle-step to boostrapping their own streaming service which licenses stuff straight from Japan.

Note, that DeNA's yearly revenue is 140 billion yen, or almost $1.4 billion US dollars. This makes Crunchyroll look like flyshit in comparison. Crunchyroll are just a convienient puppet for the Japanese owners until they get the infrastructure in place to have worldwide streaming services owned by Japanese companies.

Honestly, I find what you're saying interesting but honestly speaking, it's mostly irrelevant.

Sep 25, 2018 12:04 AM
Aug 2011
It's just to put the constant talk of "myanimelist sucking up to crunchyroll" in perspective. Myanimelist is in fact part of a push by a major Japanese company to extend their reach in the western anime community. Crunchyroll is just a stepping-stone.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look back in 2020/21 or so and find that the streaming landscape looks a little different to today.

People can help support the Japanese part of the industry by watching shows on here rather than have a Crunchyroll account. If enough people do that, it makes it more viable for DeNA to hire some of the old fansubbers and sub their own shows.
cipheronSep 25, 2018 12:08 AM
Sep 25, 2018 12:23 AM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:

People can help support the Japanese part of the industry by watching shows on here rather than have a Crunchyroll account. If enough people do that, it makes it more viable for DeNA to hire some of the old fansubbers and sub their own shows.

What do you mean by watching the shows "on here"? Where? On MAL? Does MAL have a streaming thing? Is it possible I can watch anime directly from MAL? That sounds brilliant! That would be sooooooo cool.

I mean, I can see a "videos" section on most sections of each anime but I don't have a Crunchyroll subscription which means I can't exactly tell whether the video would embed or not.

But I will normally get - video not available for embedding, it's possible this is because I don't have Crunchyroll account/subscription and it's also possible that this is not the reason.
awesomenettleSep 25, 2018 12:55 AM

Sep 25, 2018 1:29 AM

Jun 2014
Add the fansub section back you cowards. This was a feature that had use for older anime and for non English anime watchers.

Great, now will you add more shit and useless garbage that bloats the website?

AniDB has a better database in every way. As others said, you are a database, not a streaming website. Removing data from your database is actually fucking dumb.

Important

To people that still want to use the fansub database for specific older anime, you can do that if you access the web archive, you get the MAL URL, make sure the URL only has the database number and select a capture from 2014 or earlier, because in 2014 fansubs were still visible even for people that didn't have accounts on MAL.

For example, Code Geass, this is how you should search for it in the Web Archive
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/
alpha_shadowSep 25, 2018 1:43 AM
:3
Sep 25, 2018 4:02 AM

Feb 2018
alpha_shadow said:

Add the fansub section back you cowards. This was a feature that had use for older anime and for non English anime watchers.

Great, now will you add more shit and useless garbage that bloats the website?

AniDB has a better database in every way. As others said, you are a database, not a streaming website. Removing data from your database is actually fucking dumb.

Who suggested this is a streaming site? It's not a streaming site but you can embed videos on any site and that way people can view them but for some reason, it seems that I cannot view the embedded videos.

I honestly can be bothered trying to create an account at CR at this moment for several reasons.

i) I don't really consider myself part of anime community at this moment since I only stumbled over this place, found out an easy way to watch cool things without really having to bother anyone, I mean, just by looking at the highest ranked anime on MAL, you're probably gonna be keeping yourself entertained for a few weeks. Have friends on MAL, follow their lists and you'll probably have an endless list of cool anime to watch.

ii) One of the biggest reasons I've been sticking around MAL is this API issue they seem to be having which to me is really interesting. So, yeah, I couldn't call myself exactly anime blood yet.

iii) CR seems to have my country geolocked.

iv) I have *never* paid for any digital content except games. At least Steam does not have my country geolocked otherwise I can always use torrents and bootlegging sites.

I'm explaining this so that may be someone has a CR account and can quickly tell me what exactly is happening as I'm not going to create a CR account any time soon. I'm better subscribing to an account in a bootleg site than CR

alpha_shadow said:

Important

To people that still want to use the fansub database for specific older anime, you can do that if you access the web archive, you get the MAL URL, make sure the URL only has the database number and select a capture from 2014 or earlier, because in 2014 fansubs were still visible even for people that didn't have accounts on MAL.

For example, Code Geass, this is how you should search for it in the Web Archive
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/

What on earth are you talking about? What is a capture? I thought we all know how to search the database? What? You're talking of a web archive?
awesomenettleSep 25, 2018 4:17 AM

Sep 25, 2018 5:32 AM

Feb 2018
Reading this thread is just turning into a big waste of time with folks talking of how MAL got into a deal with companies like Daisuki, which seems to be out of business and a lot of other rumours about deals with Hulu and Crunchyroll - and yet we are not getting any relevant statements from admins.

What the hell?

This thread is spewed with a tonne of rumours and bullshit and it literary very difficult to even tell what is what at this point unless we got a statement from an admin.

And, anyway, even if MAL got into a deal with Hulu and Crunchyroll, I'm way too content with what I get from bootlegging sites to bothering with sites that have my country geolocked.

awesomenettleSep 25, 2018 5:49 AM

Sep 25, 2018 6:28 AM

Nov 2013
Zadion said:
Lindholmaren said:
>MAL catering to the pure seasonal anime watcher garbage and killing off a futureproofing feature used mostly for older or unlocalized shows in the absence of "real" subs just to cozy up to CR a tiny bit closer.
Fot a while I actually believed that ~all~ features were going to be returned, you sure got me haha.

I love how in 5 years as a user here, the only post you've ever made is this post.

I don't know if that's supposed to be funny at the expense of me or mal but I used to have an older account with an embarrassing name, embarrassing posts tied to an email that I lost around 2009 (because it was like "firstname.lastname@ISP.countrycode" and we switched ISP), and then I didn't watch anime for like 2 years.

I never participated in the episode discussions here because I prefer going to imageboards or chatrooms, I'd occasionally read them though. I never participated in the sub discussions because I didn't need to to benefit from it. Usually I don't read the reviews here anymore but sometimes it's useful for getting similar shows.
Regardless of this I would be against removing any of these features, especially for reasons as bad as these.
Sep 25, 2018 8:12 AM

Feb 2018
Lindholmaren said:

I don't know if that's supposed to be funny at the expense of me or mal but I used to have an older account with an embarrassing name, embarrassing posts tied to an email that I lost around 2009 (because it was like "firstname.lastname@ISP.countrycode" and we switched ISP), and then I didn't watch anime for like 2 years.

I never participated in the episode discussions here because I prefer going to imageboards or chatrooms, I'd occasionally read them though. I never participated in the sub discussions because I didn't need to to benefit from it. Usually I don't read the reviews here anymore but sometimes it's useful for getting similar shows.
Regardless of this I would be against removing any of these features, especially for reasons as bad as these.

If you have to explain yourself then you're probably doing it wrong...

And you just had to.

It's not funny, it's just really interesting and like-able.

Sep 25, 2018 10:19 AM

Nov 2013
azulakina said:
Lindholmaren said:

If you have to explain yourself then you're probably doing it wrong...

And you just had to.

It's not funny, it's just really interesting and like-able.

What do you mean doing it wrong?
Sep 25, 2018 10:58 AM

Feb 2018
Lindholmaren said:

You feel insecure about something and you just can help starting to explain yourself.

Sep 25, 2018 7:16 PM

Aug 2007
-R said:
You can actually still view fansub info via group pages. You can search for groups here: https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php

Here is a good example of a group with added projects, comments, and votes: https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php?id=5977

Obviously this is less than ideal as you have to already know a group did a project, but the info is there. I wonder if it would be possible to somehow export this to an external site and make it all easier to go through?

Also, the contributions page is still set so only moderators can view? As far as I can tell, this wasn't the case before MAL went down: https://myanimelist.net/profile/MyAnimeListLLC/contributions

And now nobody can because you posted that page in a forum the staff were actively monitoring.

https://i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg

cipheron said:
Znajomy said:
Don't really get what was wrong with fansubs section but I'll be fine without it.

What's wrong with fansubs is that it's illegal to distribute copyrighted material. And MAL is trying to stay on the legit side of the law.

This isn't just about Crunchyroll. MAL has been owned by Japanese company DeNA since the start of 2015, who make mobile games, some of which have been made into anime. Two examples are the Shingeki no Bahamut anime and the Hackadolls anime. Both were based on games made by DeNA, myanimelist's parent company. If fansub groups sub these series and are promoted on MAL then MAL is effectively promoting piracy of titles based on works by MAL's own parent company, as well as many of DeNA's commercial partners in Japan.

myanimelist is actually more legitimately Japanese that crunchyroll. Watch anime on here instead of crunchyroll to help support the Japanese industry directly. MAL currently takes content from CR and Hulu, but by watching it here, on a Japanese-owned website then there's a real possibility for them to cut the American middle-man out of the equation in future.

MAL already removed products owned by the companies they were affiliated with in the fansub section.

cipheron said:

Myanimelist removing the fansub info from the database doesn't prevent you doing that. That is in fact completely tangential.

The whole point was to explain why MAL did what they did. They have partners directly in Japan so they can't be undercutting them. People are still free to talk about fansubs in the forums or the like, but there just won't be any legitimizing of piracy in the database itself.

And anyway, the argument that you need to watch stolen stuff because it's not officially release is moot. You do not if fact need to watch anything. Nothing bad actually happens if you miss out on a show.

Piracy is copyright infringement, not theft.
Sep 25, 2018 7:23 PM

Nov 2013
azulakina said:
Lindholmaren said:

You feel insecure about something and you just can help starting to explain yourself.

I explained because I was unsure of whether it was an attempt at a "gotcha" of me or not, I needlessly elaborated because I was pondering the exact dates myself and was puzzling together a timeline of events around that time in my head.
I then finished it off with a still-on-topic segment because this thread isn't about my post history.
Speaking of which, will we get an actual, elaborated on description of the motivation behind this decision besides "derr fansub bad official gud" or will we have to settle for the most likely case of seeking/getting that big streaming sponsor dosh? Mobile is laggy as HECK on my phone and forum posts aren't really as official as public MAL statements so no "read the thread" pl0x.
Sep 25, 2018 10:43 PM

Feb 2018
Lindholmaren said:

I explained because I was unsure of whether it was an attempt at a "gotcha" of me or not, I needlessly elaborated because I was pondering the exact dates myself and was puzzling together a timeline of events around that time in my head.
I then finished it off with a still-on-topic segment because this thread isn't about my post history.
Speaking of which, will we get an actual, elaborated on description of the motivation behind this decision besides "derr fansub bad official gud" or will we have to settle for the most likely case of seeking/getting that big streaming sponsor dosh? Mobile is laggy as HECK on my phone and forum posts aren't really as official as public MAL statements so no "read the thread" pl0x.

Two things, unless you're of non-binary gender, if someone genuinely tells you they love you'll either be flattered or very excited.

But, instead of that you just started throwing your insecurities all over the place.

Sep 26, 2018 12:32 AM

Jun 2017
Hello, a quick comment coming through! Just wanted to pop in real quick and say: Yay! MAL is back and hopefully if there are any issues in the future, they will be resolved efficiently and effectively!

Okay, catch you all on the forums, etc...!

-Ken R.
ATATATATATATATATA! Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru.
Shout-out to @SpectralPoison (2017 Secret Santa) for creating this wonderful gift [signature/profile/avatar pics]!
Sep 26, 2018 1:44 AM

Nov 2011
Glad to see that the site is finally coming back, and it appears to have a much more robust back-end now. I hope we all never have to go through that again. I am sad about the fan-subs, but in the current environment where even most youtube videos become demonetized due to bad copyright laws, I can see why that step was taken. Big thank you to the MAL team for not giving up on this project and bringing it back to life.
Sep 26, 2018 9:10 AM
Jun 2013
myanimelistllc said:
Dear Users,

Thank you for using MyAnimeList.

The final features have been restored:

・My Signature
・Database User Submissions
・About Pages
・Tutorials
・Remaining RSS Feeds

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Click here to read a list of all previous announcements.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support of MyAnimeList.

Thanks for the update, when will MAL Updater be up and running, as I have to update manually when I am watching my anime. Also there is a bug with MAL Updater, when I am watching a animated show, like Avengers Assemble, Ducktales (the recent reboot), etc, it tries to marked it watched, despite that it is now an anime. Thanks.
Sep 26, 2018 10:08 AM
Jun 2012
Lol, I never knew that MAl had an fansub section.
I always went to anidb to check them....

ANd it´s really time that the Forum is back.
#1-4:I had the feeling to kill myself
#5:Ok, would never watch it again #6: Nice Time
#7:very satisfying, easy to watch, interesting themes, good Enjoyment, good Feeling
#8-9:even better
#10:Kept me the whole time on the edge of my bed. Content to think about. Just awesome.
##It heavily depends when I watched it. So something from five years ago would get now definitely an different Score than then.
##Dislike most Comedy-Shows and over the top wimp-guys. #"wrong" behavior in important Situations. #Characters who always have the same dumb personality/or want to help the enemy
Sep 26, 2018 1:45 PM

Jul 2009
I hope they will soon launch the MAL app for iOS! :D
Sep 26, 2018 2:16 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
MLLu said:
Awww, you seem so happy and that's why I'd hate to see you disappointed down the road, so I'll tell you to not have many hopes of that happening soon. They did say that when the android version came out, but with the site going down and all, it seems everything now is going really slow, much less the introduction of something new. The API that was promised years ago is still going really slow judging by their "updates" and the android version hasn't had any update (though it's hidden still so I'm not surprised, but either way). It may eventually come out, but by then I think the API will already be out and hopefully an ios app based on that will be made once again, which will be better by what DeNA will have made.

Don't have too much faith in them, the company seems a bit out of order for a while.
Sep 26, 2018 2:17 PM
Apr 2015
¿Van a notificar cuando se puedan usar las aplicaciones de terceros?
Sep 26, 2018 2:21 PM

Jul 2009
Maffy said:
MLLu said:
Awww, you seem so happy and that's why I'd hate to see you disappointed down the road, so I'll tell you to not have many hopes of that happening soon. They did say that when the android version came out, but with the site going down and all, it seems everything now is going really slow, much less the introduction of something new. The API that was promised years ago is still going really slow judging by their "updates" and the android version hasn't had any update (though it's hidden still so I'm not surprised, but either way). It may eventually come out, but by then I think the API will already be out and hopefully an ios app based on that will be made once again, which will be better by what DeNA will have made.

Don't have too much faith in them, the company seems a bit out of order for a while.

Really? Oh well, thanks for letting me know though. I'll be pleasantly surprised when it is available then! :D
Sep 26, 2018 2:58 PM

Aug 2013
myanimelistllc said:

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

Meh that was a good feature. It saves time trying to know which fansub group actually worked on a certain show..
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Sep 26, 2018 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
Taluun said:
For those complaining about lack of fansub info, you can always use aniDB which has always had a much more thorough and informative section on fansubs

Thanks this will help alot
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Sep 26, 2018 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
When is the Pocket Mal going to work again?
Sep 26, 2018 5:39 PM
Oct 2012
This is my first (and probably last) time ever doing anything on this website besides managing my list, but you guys really need to get your shit together with the API. It's been four months now that I haven't been able to use Taiga, which is honestly too long no matter how big the problems with the website were. Can we can get at least a vague timeframe on when it'll be back up? Like holy moly I just want to watch my shitty cartoons without having to check back on these forums everyday when I have no interest in anything but the API.

Thanks.
Sep 26, 2018 8:56 PM

Feb 2018
Just in case anyone cares.

Well, well, watching anime from bootlegging sites is indeed a bad thing and it does not support anime industry.

The problem is, the distributed anime is not actually licensed meaning the efforts from anime industry end up in the wrong hands.

Not just in the wrong hands but by watching anime from bootlegging sites I can actually avoid paying the original studio their dues.

So, admittedly, I have been ripping off anime industry for the better part of this year.

It's however not possible for me to promise not to rip off anime industry again.
awesomenettleSep 26, 2018 9:11 PM

Sep 27, 2018 2:34 AM
Aug 2011
azulakina said:
Reading this thread is just turning into a big waste of time with folks talking of how MAL got into a deal with companies like Daisuki, which seems to be out of business and a lot of other rumours about deals with Hulu and Crunchyroll - and yet we are not getting any relevant statements from admins.

What the hell?

This thread is spewed with a tonne of rumours and bullshit and it literary very difficult to even tell what is what at this point unless we got a statement from an admin.

And, anyway, even if MAL got into a deal with Hulu and Crunchyroll, I'm way too content with what I get from bootlegging sites to bothering with sites that have my country geolocked.

What do you mean rumors? There's a section called "videos" with huge Hulu and Crunchyroll logos at the top, talking about the partnership, as well as ANN articles talking about the deal. This isn't a "rumor" it's just a fact. This isn't some future feature that's been promised, either, it's an existing feature.

https://myanimelist.net/watch/episode

Mentioning the streaming features is just a fact. Talking about anti-fansub conspiracy theories is the rumor-mongering however, which is where the discussion started from. Fansubs aren't frowned-upon by MAL because MAL has a deal with Crunchyroll, fansubs are now frowned upon because MAL is now owned by the *Japanese*. People mentioning that we need to support fansubs now because of "High Guardian Spice" - that's just a retarded excuse for being lazy and pirating. There will always be a similar excuse coming along.

The point is, being content with pirate sites does nothing to prevent Crunchyroll having a near-monopoly. Encouraging competition does, and on here you're drawing from two different sites. That instantly makes it that much more viable for Hulu to bid against Crunchyroll for anime series. And thirdly, DeNa are a big enough company to set up up their own streaming sources and cut the American middle-man completely out of the loop, but only if they get enough people watching shows on here. So it doesn't matter if you, in particular are geolocked and can't watch all shows: watching fansubs isn't going to help with that. You need to make yourself a viewer worth reaching. Watch *what you can* through third-party sites since that makes the third party sites more viable and makes your country more viable to legally stream to.
cipheronSep 27, 2018 3:17 AM
Sep 27, 2018 4:39 AM
Mar 2017
Maffy said:
MLLu said:

iMAL for iOS has some functionality back, developer has to resort to workarounds because the API will likely not return in any usable state soon (months / years who knows).

What I think will happen is some sort of middleware solution which uses web scraping that apps can use, sorta like others we had to use because of how shitty the old API was.
MAL has the large community and great moderators going for it as otherwise AniList would have stayed as my primary.
Sep 27, 2018 8:00 AM

Oct 2013
Lindholmaren said:
Zadion said:

I love how in 5 years as a user here, the only post you've ever made is this post.

I wasn't trying to do a "gotcha" or whatever. I just thought it was amusing that in 5 years of using and browsing MAL, this is the topic that finally made you want to post something. Not a rib at you or at MAL, just an interesting event I felt like highlighting. I apologize if it might've come across as crass; it's a sad environment that we can't make such comments without having to be worried someone is trying to anonymously humiliate us on the internet.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 27, 2018 10:22 AM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:

The point is, being content with pirate sites does nothing to prevent Crunchyroll having a near-monopoly. Encouraging competition does, and on here you're drawing from two different sites. That instantly makes it that much more viable for Hulu to bid against Crunchyroll for anime series. And thirdly, DeNa are a big enough company to set up up their own streaming sources and cut the American middle-man completely out of the loop, but only if they get enough people watching shows on here. So it doesn't matter if you, in particular are geolocked and can't watch all shows: watching fansubs isn't going to help with that. You need to make yourself a viewer worth reaching. Watch *what you can* through third-party sites since that makes the third party sites more viable and makes your country more viable to legally stream to.

You talk of Crunchyroll and Hulu as if we're all rolling in cash to be paying for entertainment, in fact, I probably haven't had any form of "paid for" entertainment for almost 2 years except being binge drinking.

I will only pay for anime if and only if I feel like paying for it, period.

Or, wait, I don't have a problem using sites like Hulu or Crunchyroll, if and only if, I had money to spare.

Netsplite said:

iMAL for iOS has some functionality back, developer has to resort to workarounds because the API will likely not return in any usable state soon (months / years who knows).

What I think will happen is some sort of middleware solution which uses web scraping that apps can use, sorta like others we had to use because of how shitty the old API was.
MAL has the large community and great moderators going for it as otherwise, AniList would have stayed as my primary.

Heh, it looks like I'd have written a functional API for MAL by now, I mean, 5 months...

Zadion said:

I wasn't trying to do a "gotcha" or whatever. I just thought it was amusing that in 5 years of using and browsing MAL, this is the topic that finally made you want to post something. Not a rib at you or at MAL, just an interesting event I felt like highlighting. I apologize if it might've come across as crass; it's a sad environment that we can't make such comments without having to be worried someone is trying to anonymously humiliate us on the internet.

Makes me wonder what someone means by "anonymously" - would a video discussion instead of forum discussion make this place less anonymous?

What makes you think that this place is anonymous? And what's the difference between someone trying to humiliate you here and someone trying to humiliate you in real life?

Sep 27, 2018 11:19 AM

May 2010
Netsplite said:

MAL has the large community and great moderators going for it as otherwise AniList would have stayed as my primary.

That's already what iMAL and probably other apps are doing. But without the API, there is no easy way to get and update lists, which is the main use for a MAL app anyway. Web scrapping "static" pages is one thing, but login and extracting cookies information to keep a fake logged context when getting pages adds extra pain.
Sep 27, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2018
IATGOF said:

That's already what iMAL and probably other apps are doing. But without the API, there is no easy way to get and update lists, which is the main use for a MAL app anyway. Web scrapping "static" pages is one thing, but login and extracting cookies information to keep a fake logged context when getting pages adds extra pain.

iMAL looks like a pretty popular application - I didn't expect that the developer was doing such crazy hacks - facepalm

Sep 27, 2018 12:28 PM

Nov 2013
Zadion said:
Lindholmaren said:

It's fine, I chuckled at first and then saw that you had several thousand posts and unfortunately assumed the worst. This finally being what got me bothered enough to post (atleast for the first time in like 9 years) is funny to me too.
Honestly I kinda feel bad for the staff of MAL. I realize that the suddenness of the site going down and the lack of communication was, seemingly, entirely DeNA's fault, but I really don't feel like I can support a site that kneecaps user features like this (I switched when I got sick of having to go to the website/use the gimped app).
Sep 27, 2018 12:59 PM

Feb 2018
Lindholmaren said:

It's fine, I chuckled at first and then saw that you had several thousand posts and unfortunately assumed the worst. This finally being what got me bothered enough to post (atleast for the first time in like 9 years) is funny to me too.
Honestly I kinda feel bad for the staff of MAL. I realize that the suddenness of the site going down and the lack of communication was, seemingly, entirely DeNA's fault, but I really don't feel like I can support a site that kneecaps user features like this (I switched when I got sick of having to go to the website/use the gimped app).

I very much appreciate your honesty but I don't exactly like your "don't care" attitude.

Also, nice forum picture.

Sep 27, 2018 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
azulakina said:

Makes me wonder what someone means by "anonymously" - would a video discussion instead of forum discussion make this place less anonymous?

What makes you think that this place is anonymous? And what's the difference between someone trying to humiliate you here and someone trying to humiliate you in real life?

This is encroaching internet sociology and I suspect this isn't exactly the location for such a complex discussion, but fundamentally the difference is content posted online has no impact on my existence in the real world. "Anonymous" is used in this context when an alias is used, or some sort of veil that disguises a person's real identity. Of course with enough digging, you could probably connect any person's alias to their real life identity, but it is superficial anonymity if nothing else.

There's no ethical difference between here and real life, but the practical difference is it is my cyber-alias that is impacted by any sort of public humiliation, not my real life identity. And personally, I find that veil of anonymity allows people to generally feel more confident being assholes than they would in real life.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 27, 2018 5:12 PM
Sep 2018
MAL needs to pretend that fansub groups are not a good thing for anime industry Bluestacks TextNow VPN.
klimbo12Sep 30, 2018 10:42 AM
Sep 28, 2018 12:01 AM
Aug 2011
klimbo12 said:
MAL needs to pretend that fansub groups are not a good thing for anime industry.

They were a good thing because they grew the audience in the early days when the stuff lacked exposure. But that was then.

But that doesn't mean they're a great thing *now* for the industry when they're directly competing against legitimate streaming that is often supported merely by advertising. Anime doesn't need additional exposure, it's everywhere. So fansubs no longer do that one thing that they were really good at - building out the anime fandom in the first place so people could find out that there's something worth checking out.

All that fansubs are really good for is getting hold of old and/or obscure series for free. All that really does now is allow hardcore anime-geeks to "watch em all" and does very little to help the industry or the creators of those works.
Sep 28, 2018 2:01 AM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:
But that doesn't mean they're a great thing *now* for the industry when they're directly competing against legitimate streaming that is often supported merely by advertising.

All that fansubs are really good for is getting hold of old and/or obscure series for free. All that really does now is allow hardcore anime-geeks to "watch em all" and does very little to help the industry or the creators of those works.

So we're gonna forget about kids anime and non-English anime watchers?
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Sep 28, 2018 2:02 AM

Mar 2015
Dear Users,

We have continued to solve potential concerns with the new ToU internally while continuing work on establishing it’s creation. We have also completed listing out all of the remaining development tasks, and begun development of the said tasks, with the development of login authentication being mostly completed.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued support of MyAnimeList.
Sep 28, 2018 2:27 AM

Nov 2009
Sorry if I'm bothering you, but the SNS for Facebook is accounted in the TO DO list like it was before or is removed forever?
I liked it.
Sep 28, 2018 8:55 AM

Jul 2016
When these issues will be solved, will the development of the official mobile app continue? It has been a long time since the last update and it's a shame, in my opinion, since it was going in the right direction
Sep 28, 2018 3:51 PM

Apr 2013
myanimelistllc said:
Dear Users,

We have continued to solve potential concerns with the new ToU internally while continuing work on establishing it’s creation. We have also completed listing out all of the remaining development tasks, and begun development of the said tasks, with the development of login authentication being mostly completed.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued support of MyAnimeList.

That's not explaining anything such as what exactly it is you're doing (what development tasks?) and what your plans are, you're just skirting around our questions.
Sep 28, 2018 5:31 PM

Aug 2014
Please allow us to see who favorited a character. :)
Sep 28, 2018 5:53 PM
Mar 2008
I don't have a good feeling about these changes and how this whole site went down then came back up in a crippled state. Speaks of internal conflict during what were obviously administrative changes. I will discontinue the service. There are others. Thanks for the good times.
Sep 29, 2018 12:28 AM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:

They were a good thing because they grew the audience in the early days when the stuff lacked exposure. But that was then.

But that doesn't mean they're a great thing *now* for the industry when they're directly competing against legitimate streaming that is often supported merely by advertising. Anime doesn't need additional exposure, it's everywhere. So fansubs no longer do that one thing that they were really good at - building out the anime fandom in the first place so people could find out that there's something worth checking out.

Something caught my eye at last. Nothing to do with fansubs or anime just something general.

The kind of behaviour where you wait for people to jump-start you then ditch them only to continue enjoying the benefits of being jump-started is uncouth.

If fansubs are the main reason why anime got popular outside Japan then fansubs are an established part of anime industry that we shouldn't be trying to single out and get rid of. I mean, we should probably leave them just as they are.

Also, my english is *not* broken. It's just how I speak.

Sep 29, 2018 12:59 AM
Aug 2011
The kind of behaviour where you wait for people to jump-start you then ditch them only to continue enjoying the benefits of being jump-started is uncouth.

I don't agree:

"fansubbers" are a concept, they're not the same people. The people who "jump-started" things were back in the 1990s, when getting hold of VHS tapes and subbing them was a huge effort. Some modern "successors" to the old fansubbers didn't "jump start" jack shit, so they're not "owed" anything. They haven't been "ditched" because they didn't in fact contribute anything.

Secondly, anime "got big" in the West NOT because of the old fansubbers, who remained niche, but because of the spread of popular Shonen and magical girl animes. This processhad absolutely NOTHING to do with the fansubbers, and in fact was a thing that started in the 1980s. The late 1990s anime boom was completely unrelated to the impact of fansubbers. It was the TV networks that "jump started" the popularity of anime.

The memories about the pre-boom fansubbers is just nostalgia and had no part in jump-starting mass popularity of anime. And the reason for that is that *availability* of fansubs only became a thing with ADSL internet. Before that, only the tiniest niche of people knew about fansubs. Broadband internet ONLY started to replace dialup a FEW YEARS before Crunchyroll even existed. Therefore, "fansubs" had nothing at all to do with opening the west up to streaming, it was purely because of the already-rising popularity of anime because of TV anime, toonami, adult swim etc, and the advent of broadband internet.

Fansubs, in fact, had nothing to do with why anime became popular. It was always a niche.

cipheronSep 29, 2018 1:34 AM
Sep 29, 2018 1:27 AM

Feb 2018
cipheron said:

This is BS really. The anime studios didn't ask people to "jump start" stuff. People pirated anime for their own selfish reasons in the first place. If someone is copying your work illegally (and unrequested) and that happens to make you better known, that's just a bonus, but it doesn't mean you owe the pirates anything.

the point is that those people who "jump started" the thing aren't actually the owners of the series and were never authorized or asked or expected to do that.

Well, they do it for the fans.

cipheron said:

Each episode of an anime costs a LOT of money to produce. Fansubbers aren't expending much to sub an episode, and they do not carry any of the financial risk. The risk-taker is the creator studio, who invest millions of dollars up-front in a series on the hope that it does well. Fansubbers only come along later and take already-paid-for series and sub it. They come along after the other guy's already taken the big risks.

Again, fansubbing is a low-cost, low-risk action taken at the expense of the people who invested a ton of actual money into the venture in the first place. The fansubber is not owed any of that. Not every anime idea sees fruition, many projects fail, are cancelled, or are not profitable.

Fansubbing is *not* a low-cost activity. For one you need to learn enough Japanese to watch raw anime then subtitles are not just translations, you have to express emotions e.t.c - basically, a lot of stuff. At the same time, your English needs to be up to the task(I doubt they're so many Japanese folks who speak "cool" English as I do)

The bottom line is, it's not exactly a low cost activity.

cipheron said:

It's not like every anime studio is rolling in dosh so they can afford to lose sales to fansubbers. Anime studios go bankrupt and lay off workers all the time. For example, the studio that made several recent animes including Gonna be the Twin-Tail and High School Fleet recently went bankrupt:

https://goboiano.com/anime-studio-production-ims-has-gone-bankrupt/

Every couple of years there's a major bankruptcy or studio failure including Madhouse, Gonzo, Manglobe.

This is indeed sad but the fact remains that fansubbers are not exactly taking money that should be going to studios.

What I am getting is that fansubbing is like game modding where some people prefer to get modded games. And the game modder benefits from that but this doesn't mean that game modding is directly hurting the game industry.

The fact that someone chooses to play a modded game doesn't mean the game modder "stealing" from the game developers.
awesomenettleSep 29, 2018 1:32 AM

Sep 29, 2018 1:35 AM
Aug 2011
I rewrote my original post with a different take (about the history), however I still stand behind the parts you quoted.

Fansubbing is *not* a low-cost activity. For one you need to learn enough Japanese to watch raw anime then subtitles are not just translations, you have to express emotions e.t.c - basically, a lot of stuff. At the same time, your English needs to be up to the task(I doubt they're so many Japanese folks who speak "cool" English as I do)

This is a preposterous argument. You're not "investing" your knowledge of Japanese into the subs. It takes time, that's all. There is no risk involved and no capital outlays. By your argument, merely *reading a book* could be said to be a costly activity since you had to learn English to be able to do it.

Let's say you can sub an episode in 8 hours, and your time is worth $30 an hour. This would be a reasonable pay rate for someone who speaks 2 languages to do the work. You use free software on your PC that you already own (for doing other stuff), so the total costs are $250 worth of labor.

Compare that to a typical budget for the same anime, $350,000 per episode. The fansubber is able to produce a watchable episode for 1/1000th the cost of the actual show, and that's assuming that it takes 8 hours to do and you *could* have worked those 8 hours @ $30/hour. In fact, your spare time is most likely only worth minimum wage, and you might be able to sub the show in 4 hours. Call that $50 worth of labor in that case, or 1/7000th of what the show actually costs.

That is *low risk* compared to the studios investment, and remember if the show fails the studio can go broke, whereas the fansubber merely moves on to subbing the next thing.
cipheronSep 29, 2018 1:52 AM
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

214 by Veredus »»
3 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
12 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.