Forum Settings
Forums

Mangaka Object to Tokyo Ordinance Regulating Anime & Manga Characters [Update Mar 17]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2010 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
Opposition are all ecchi anime or manga people, lol~
Haruhi = Win!
Mar 15, 2010 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
Oh yeah! It always makes my day when I discover that my country is not the only one run by the idiots.

BTW, what about light novels?
Mar 15, 2010 3:45 PM

Oct 2009
loli_slayer said:
Maybe Mangakas will start working overseas (not the US/Canada of course since the Handley case) ?

This feels appropriate:

Actually in response to this I think the USA psychology norms are trying to be enforced in a another country......I know they a association that dictates how people should be and if you are not they could say according to a)x and b)x you a disorder and must take x pills to be normal......it could be that USA might be trying to make a Japanese more like theirs in sexual norms.....since they occupy Japan anyone think it might be so with this development? I smell conspiracy anyone else?

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Mar 15, 2010 4:06 PM

Feb 2008
Edited the news
The "fictitious juveniles" are anime/manga/game characters which Tokyo considers to be Under 18 years old.

Source: IT Media

Seems like some people misunderstand the matter. It's not just loli problem, but all the high/junior high school anime/manga will be affected. Haruhi, Full Metal Panic, Negima, Toaru Railgun... everything!

The proposed amendment of "Tokyo Juvenile Protection Ordinance" said:

Unhealthy media which contains sexual activities of fictitious juveniles or visual descriptions of fictitious juveniles related to sex-like activities.
dtshykMar 15, 2010 7:16 PM
Mar 15, 2010 5:38 PM

Sep 2008
dtshyk said:
Edited the news
The "fictitious juveniles" are anime/manga/game characters which Tokyo considers to be Under 18 years old.

Seems like some people misunderstand the matter. It's not just loli problem, but all the high/junior high school anime/manga will be affected. Haruhi, Full Metal Panic, Negima, Toaru Railgun... everything!

There is no clarification as to the extent of how far they will take the ban. Is it going to ban every little bit of ecchi to an underage character...no, probably not. Most likely, it will just take care of manga like Toshiue no Hito, Eiken, Yomeiro Choice and Kiss x Sis. The target for the ban will be the series that offer nothing but sex appeal. Popular series that show an occasional bit of ecchiness will probably be over looked and thus create a double standard that will most likely result in the law being overturned or radically modified to target only loli/shota or the graphic exploitation of the "fictitious juveniles".
As an artist, I can't support a law like this except for the 3d realm.(Some of that stuff can look too real) While I do enjoy a lot of the ecchi comedies that are out there, it would be nice to see the industry move on and get away from the ecchi high school slice of life crap that has come to dominate the anime/manga world. This ban could force the industry to head in a different direction and get back to making more of the badass shows that I fell in love with from the 90's and early 2000's.

"Unhealthy media which contains sexual activities of fictitious juveniles or visual descriptions of fictitious juveniles related to sex-like activities." Unhealthy media and sex-like activities, I believe, can still be open to interpretation. They would have to clearly state what that defines. Will this extend to the all-too-common panty shot and accidental grope/fondle or even kissing for that matter? How would something like Suzuka be treated, chapter 147 for example?
MagicWookieMar 15, 2010 8:08 PM
Mar 15, 2010 6:12 PM

Oct 2009
MagicWookie said:
While I do enjoy a lot of the ecchi comedies that are out there, it would be nice to see the industry move on and get away from the ecchi high school slice of life crap that has come to dominate the anime/manga world. This ban could force the industry to head in a different direction and get back to making more of the badass shows that I fell in love with from the 90's and early 2000's.
I will agree with you on this. It will most likely be a nice revolution in anime as a forced move on them.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Mar 15, 2010 7:49 PM

Feb 2008
MagicWookie said:
dtshyk said:
Edited the news

There is no clarification as to the extent of how far they will take the ban. Is it going to ban every little bit of ecchi to an underage character...no, probably not. Most likely, it will just take care of manga like Toshiue no Hito, Eiken, Yomeiro Choice and Kiss x Sis. The target for the ban will be the series that offer nothing but sex appeal. Popular series that show an occasional bit of ecchiness will probably be over looked and thus create a double standard that will most likely result in the law being overturned or radically modified to target only loli/shota or the graphic exploitation of the "fictitious juveniles".
As an artist, I can't support a law like this except for the 3d realm.(Some of that stuff can look too real) While I do enjoy a lot of the ecchi comedies that are out there, it would be nice to see the industry move on and get away from the ecchi high school slice of life crap that has come to dominate the anime/manga world. This ban could force the industry to head in a different direction and get back to making more of the badass shows that I fell in love with from the 90's and early 2000's.

Nostalgia always distorts retrospection. Ecchi manga were there since 1960's or much before then. (eg. Harenchi Gakuen in 1968) The strong point of Japanese manga is its vast variety. Monochromatic creation will end up extinction of manga culture.
Mar 15, 2010 10:15 PM

Feb 2009
What's the use of that? We all know there's more people raping minors who doesn't know anime than those who knew it.

We're extremely harmless

Mar 16, 2010 6:02 AM

Sep 2009
dtshyk said:

The regulation was proposed by Tokyo metropolitan government and it intends to restrict the minor characters appearing in manga, anime, movies, and games. Even if the characters are described as adults in the story, Tokyo will judge whether the characters are considered to be minors based on the appearance, backgrounds, and voices.

I didn't notice it included games also. I know for a fact that lots of their games that involve "fictional juveniles" will most likely include sexual situations about them. This doesn't apply only to eroge, but to mainstream games as well. Doesn't sound like a big deal for mainstream, but note that eroge make up a large percentage of the games that are made annually. What does this mean, that 60-80% of eroge would get phased out? What good will that do to both economy and audience? Especially the otaku who are interested in those kind of stuff(they're a lot.)?

Doing this could push people to look for real stuff. This is especially bad for the pedos. They will find an output for their stuff. It's like a rubber band; the further it's pulled, the stronger it'll snap.

MagicWookie said:

I dunno... if they're insane enough to make a law like this, they're probably insane enough to shoot down the "occasional ecchiness". Thing is, loli/shota's not the only thing getting hit, but teenagers/people who look younger than they are as well. Whether they decide to shoot down "occasional ecchiness" is all up to them.

MagicWookie said:

"Unhealthy media which contains sexual activities of fictitious juveniles or visual descriptions of fictitious juveniles related to sex-like activities." Unhealthy media and sex-like activities, I believe, can still be open to interpretation. They would have to clearly state what that defines. Will this extend to the all-too-common panty shot and accidental grope/fondle or even kissing for that matter? How would something like Suzuka be treated, chapter 147 for example?

They should really cut down on the usual stuff, yeah. But this law isn't the way to go though.

About the definition of "sex-like activities" is all up to their discretion. We can't be too sure.

Mar 16, 2010 11:07 AM

Oct 2007
Guess i can kiss goodbye to the new season of Sekirei =))
Mar 16, 2010 4:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
lol at this bs.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 16, 2010 10:58 PM

Oct 2009
Postponed!
POSTPONED!!!!!
yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Mar 17, 2010 3:05 AM

Aug 2009
dtshyk said:
List of Mangaka who oppose to the regulation (partial)

Net Business Innovation Consortium
Google
Microsoft
Yahoo
lolol...

This law is toooo punny.
Mar 17, 2010 12:47 PM

May 2009
It's so silly. "Oh my god, think of the fictional children!"

No one should give a crap what happens to fake drawn people or how drawn people are portrayed. If anything it keeps the "perverts" reading instead of taking it out on real children. >_>

Mar 19, 2010 9:13 AM

Mar 2008
Kanon would be illegal according to this law. Food for thought.
Apr 4, 2010 10:44 AM

Jun 2009
They just can't do this *_* How can someone judge a drawn character's age by their appearance?? This depends so much on the one who looks at the pictures and his/her opinion. Things can't be so subjective -.- And I don't get the point, what's the problem with 16-17 olds? Especially when they are drawn??

Alexstratz said:
Beside let's be realistic here. Moe lolis are now fully part of the manga/anime/otaku (sub-)culture, there's no way people can just stop drawing lolis from tomorrow on. -_-

Totally agreed.

And I think if they have time and money for something like this, they could worry about abusing and stuff that happens in REAL LIFE. Anyway, I don't think that this "law" will be successful. Even if they try to do it...it will be fun to watch them FAIL *evil laugh*
EvannaApr 4, 2010 11:11 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

12 by Softhenic03 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.