Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2010 12:25 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was pretty good. I gave it a 7/10.

Cooler is pretty cool :P
The "Fourth" Transformation was awesome, they should have had Frieza do something like that.
But, Cooler's goons were pretty generic. Basically just a rip off of The Ginyu Squad.

The fights were decent, but not amazing. Piccolo's fight was pretty tight. The hand stretching through the forest was awesome. Goku didn't do much,and Krillin got pwnd as usual.

Goku vs Cooler was good but not great.

So, are they gonna play it so every time they need Goku to go Super Saiyan someone/thing has to die?
It was kinda lame with the bird (btw, so now Goku's god, he can grant life?), There'll be alot of Dragon ball hunts, if that's how they're gonna do it.

Cooler's fighting was nice, but a little too similar to Frieza's.
Goku needs a new move now that he's a Super Saiyan, it's kinda gay to have him go super, but just have him do the same old moves, and make him faster and stronger.

They've lost the best part of this show...which was how Goku would always come up with a new move or strategy to win. But, now he just powers up more. That's what this entire show has become....nothing but power ups. Power, Power, and more Power!!

Back to the neverending Frieza fight, and like 14 more power ups until the next arc. Urahara Out!!
Nov 7, 2010 1:08 AM

Sep 2009
The highlight of the movie was definitely Piccillo coming in and beating the shit out of the three goons.
By far the best fight of the first five moives.
Mar 30, 2011 1:06 PM

Feb 2009
Like the others DBZ movies before the story is very simple, but the villain is pretty badass. The fights were also pretty good, better than the last 2 movies.

I've watched it subbed.

I still think the best fighting (so far) was the fighting in the second movie. Piccolo's coming was pretty cool indeed.
Jul 10, 2011 9:30 AM

Aug 2010
Out of all the films I have seen so far for DBZ (only the first five) this is easily the best so far. But why does Gohan always look so bad in these films? I hope later he looks better. But the fights were fun to watch, and Piccolo looked pretty good for once. Also, I agree that Cooler's goons were just like the Ginyu Force. Only lamer.

Also, at the end I felt almost bad for Cooler when he realised that he could have destroyed Goku years ago, and saved himself in the present.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 29, 2012 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
I'm hoping the quality of the dbz movies improves as the series continued on this one was pretty good. I enjoyed it overall
Nov 27, 2013 12:18 PM

May 2012
The movies are getting better! Really liked this one as well as the concept of Cooler, a nice conclusion so lets see what the next movie has to offer!
Dec 19, 2013 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
Even though the villain was more interesting and was actually somewhat tied to the main story this time, I still only barely liked this movie more than last ones (still not enough to reach a 6/10). Cooler was...cool. I had no idea that that form was his 3rd form I always though it was his base, huh. Imagine that, too bad we never got to see his 2nd or 1st form. Gohan is as annoying as ever. Hooray, no more spirit bombs. THE CYCLE IS BROKEN. Sad to see that the Goku vs Cooler fight was so short, probably has something to do with msot DBZ movies being less than an hour long.

Quoting what I posted last movie.

Tyestor said:
There's a list on Kanzenshuu that shows where each movie takes place and where you can watch them while watching DBZ despite the fact that all the DBZ movies technically take place in an alternate universe. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=573
Feb 14, 2014 12:23 PM

Oct 2009
MrHatandClogs said:
It was kinda lame with the bird (btw, so now Goku's god, he can grant life?), There'll be alot of Dragon ball hunts, if that's how they're gonna do it.

No, it probably wasn't dead yet, so Goku just shared a little of his ki, or maybe he used healing technique similar to the one Dende uses

malvarez1 said:
Also, at the end I felt almost bad for Cooler when he realised that he could have destroyed Goku years ago, and saved himself in the present.

If he just destroyed the planet instead of going to crucify Goku personally, he would save himself in the present just the same. Coola was just too stupid and too self-confident, that's why he died.

Tyestor said:
I had no idea that that form was his 3rd form I always though it was his base, huh.

That was his 4th form

Tyestor said:
Gohan is as annoying as ever. Hooray, no more spirit bombs.

What? Gohan is not annoying in the slightest

Tyestor said:
Quoting what I posted last movie.

I know that I should had watched this film after episode 99 of the series, so I'll include my further thought in the spoiler

I don't remember if Vegeta's age was ever mentioned in the series, but according to wiki, he was born five years earlier than Son Goku, and he was working for Freeza for years before Planet Vegeta was destroyed. Although considering that films occur in alternative timeline, and that wiki is not too reliable source in the first place, it's not necessarily a fail

Why not take Chichi to camping with them? But, being as she became, she would probably just spoil the fun for everyone. Being a housewife always was Chichi's dream, and she did become one, with all typical positive and negative qualities, for the worse or for the better.

Just as I thought, Sauzer and Coola have the same voice actors as Zarbon and Freeza from DB

"Where's Gohan and the others?", "others" being Goku; "Oolong and them are helping them out", "them" being Haiya Dragon. Hilarious

When Gohan hid the last senzu bean in his belt instead of the bag, I figured that it was shown not without purpose

I finally got what Haiya Dragon's name means: it's from Japanese "hayai" - "fast"
SerhiykoFeb 19, 2014 3:48 PM
Feb 26, 2014 4:55 AM

Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:

Tyestor said:
I had no idea that that form was his 3rd form I always though it was his base, huh.

That was his 4th form
@Tyestor probably meant that he didn't know that he was already in his 3rd form, as he only transformed once instead of 4 times.

It was quite a good episode, just as good as the previous. I liked that Coola was sent into the sun ^_^.
8/10
Feb 26, 2014 5:38 AM

Oct 2009
ao_no_exo said:
@Tyestor probably meant that he didn't know that he was already in his 3rd form, as he only transformed once instead of 4 times.

I understand what he meant, but that's still wrong. If you transfer 3 times, then you are in 4th form. Coola was never shown in his 3rd form. Only his 4th and 5th forms were shown
Feb 26, 2014 9:20 AM

Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:
ao_no_exo said:

I understand what he meant, but that's still wrong. If you transfer 3 times, then you are in 4th form. Coola was never shown in his 3rd form. Only his 4th and 5th forms were shown
OH right @Frieza, I forgot about his form where he has those horns, he kept that form for such a short time that I forgot about it xD. So he has 4 forms and Cooler has 5. My bad :).
Jul 19, 2015 8:44 PM

Aug 2013
Of the Saiyan/Frieza saga movies this one is easily my favorite.
Aug 8, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2009
God everyone was right when they said these movies dont fit into the timeline of the show at all, kind of like how naruto and bleachs movies are awkward as well.
Jul 18, 2016 4:24 AM

Feb 2016
Nice movie, I really liked Piccolo's Brawl with "Cooler's Squadron". Pity that it was interrupted by Cooler :/

I guess Goku doesn't have control of SSJ, was wondering why he kept fighting and remained in his base state. The fight was kinda ended on a sour note though imo... I prefer a good fight than just a one-hit ko like that.

Also I see that Cooler had like his own variant of "Supernova" (Frieza's Planet Destroying Death Ball). I guess it's a typical Frieza Race move amongst Frieza Fighters. Possibly.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Aug 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Apr 2014
I was hoping to see Goku beat the crap out of Cooler after going Super Saiyan, so I was kind of disappointed by how short the fight was. Oh well. For a DBZ movie it was decent.
Sep 4, 2019 8:43 PM

Nov 2017
Re-watching some of the DBZ movies right now. Obviously they all vary in quality, but this is definitely one of the better ones.

Cooler's one of the interesting movie villains, so props to the writers for making me care about him within the time frame. Golly, I looooove~ the licensed rock/metal music played too. It really spices up the movie
Jan 6, 2020 3:47 AM

Mar 2010
Watched it yesterday evening. It might be slightly better than movie 4, still I would say maximum 7/10.

The beginning was unnecessarily slow paced in some scenes, I mean specifically the Chichi/going for picnic parts. It dragged for some minutes too long I found.
Also in some scenes it felt way too overdramatic, I can name two scenes here specifically:

1.) First encounter of Goku vs Cooler. Goku is almost dying from single beam in the back, also the way it was presented with Gohan taking his father.
2.) Even worse this one: Sauza/Salza hits Krillin and Gohan (him even with a quite simple Kick and not even a special move), and they barely stand and are half dead. I found that funny actuall and a bit over the top tbh.

Also I didn't like too much that the dragon was spotted with the scouters. When Gohan and the Dragon went for the Korin Tower they couldn't spot anything either and the dragon looked in good shape back then too. But for Plot purpose...

Besides the criticism though it was watchable. The Piccolo sequences were good, the fight vs Cooler as well, although I think they havent had enough time. The Movie went only 45 Mins so the climax fight was ~12 Mins. And I agree here with you guys who say that the Super Saiyajin fighting scenes should have been longer.

Cooler ending in a hot star was a pun intented ending to the movie.
Mar 24, 2020 3:57 PM

Nov 2016
Felt good to rewatch this after so many years. This is actually the point where the Z movies become really entertaining and it's rare to see a Piccolo kicking ass like he did here.

Also loved how Cooler was defeated. Looked painful, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 2, 2020 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
I found this movie to be one of the more enjoyable ones, so far. Cooler was a nice addition to the villain cast. He interested me due to his connections and distinguishable character that contrasted with the supposedly now deceased Frieza, his little brother. I didn't realize that the usual form he was in was his third. The knowledge of his fourth form, even beyond that of Frieza's capabilities, made things much more intense as it implied that Cooler is more powerful than Frieza. While the fight was somewhat short when Goku went Super Saiyan, the way Cooler went out as he realized who Goku was, that he could have prevented all this, for some odd reason, pitiable and sad. The best part about this film was when Piccolo made an appearance and proceeded to whop some butts. Now that is what I am talking about.

All in all, it is the best movie so far, for me. I would surely give it a 7/10.
Oct 5, 2020 1:00 PM
May 2019
Hmm, so apparently Frieza has a brother this time. Of course, being Frieza's brother he possesses a lot of strength, requiring Goku to once again go super saiyan. This is one of the better movies, I feel - if not the best one, but still nothing impressive. Wasn't expecting to see Korin again though - a nice touch.
Aug 25, 2021 10:41 AM
Jan 2021
MrHatandClogs said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was pretty good. I gave it a 7/10.

Cooler is pretty cool :P
The "Fourth" Transformation was awesome, they should have had Frieza do something like that.
But, Cooler's goons were pretty generic. Basically just a rip off of The Ginyu Squad.

The fights were decent, but not amazing. Piccolo's fight was pretty tight. The hand stretching through the forest was awesome. Goku didn't do much,and Krillin got pwnd as usual.

Goku vs Cooler was good but not great.

So, are they gonna play it so every time they need Goku to go Super Saiyan someone/thing has to die?

Cooler's fighting was nice, but a little too similar to Frieza's.
Goku needs a new move now that he's a Super Saiyan, it's kinda gay to have him go super, but just have him do the same old moves, and make him faster and stronger.

They've lost the best part of this show...which was how Goku would always come up with a new move or strategy to win. But, now he just powers up more. That's what this entire show has become....nothing but power ups. Power, Power, and more Power!!

Back to the neverending Frieza fight, and like 14 more power ups until the next arc. Urahara Out!!

Bird scence wasn't lame, if you notice he also gave his ki to frieza to stay alive. Use your Brain mate.
Jun 7, 2022 9:43 AM

Nov 2010
Cooler and his final transformation is badass! I wish they made him into a canon character.

Good show from Piccolo for once! At least he lost to someone really powerful this time.

I'll just think that this is an alt. timeline where Frieza has a bro, Goku can only transform into Super Saiyan when mad(that's why he had to rely on his old techniques initially), Vegeta probably died back in Namek, the androids didn't attack and Goku didn't get infected by a virus.

7/10
Dec 23, 2022 9:06 AM
Aug 2022
This Movie is Good I Had Very Fond Memories Of It And Chose To Rewatch.
Aug 2, 2023 5:02 PM

Aug 2011
Oct 12, 2023 5:56 AM

Nov 2012
cooler is the man, his movies are some of the best
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 5, 5:49 PM
Nov 2021
I liked it! I just felt like i should of watched it in between my watch of z, In order to like it more.

More topics from this board

» The dub soundtrack

funtime43_tr - Aug 10, 2022

5 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 12, 2023 2:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.